• Latest reply 6 years ago by Capinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

when the ball lands in the top eject hole, the top eject coil pulses continuously and does not stop. if then the ball drains, the next ball is ejected into lane, but top eject does not stop pulsing, and the four drop targets start firing continuously along with the top eject coil.

ive checked switches/relays associated, along with score motor switches associated with top eject relay and top eject coil. Im obviously missing something. any hints would be appreciated. i do have the manual and schematic.

thanks.
-barry.

#2 6 years ago

Check the big bundle of wires below the playfield at the back. This is a huge bundle and if it isn't pushed properly out of the way it can press down on relays and cause this problem. I just had this issue on GRand Prix.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

when the ball lands in the top eject hole, the top eject coil pulses continuously and does not stop. if then the ball drains, next ball ejected into lane, but top eject does not stop pulsing, and the drop targets and the L and R kickout holes start firing continuously along with the top eject coil.
ive checked switches/relays associated, along with score motor switches associated with top eject relay and top eject coil. Im obviously missing something. any hints would be appreciated. i do have the manual and schematic.
thanks.
-barry.

Sounds like the hold switch on the relay isn't opening, or the motor switch in series with it

#4 6 years ago

CrazyLevi i thought you were onto something. i was aware that bundle of wires were sitting on relays. but i moved them to the side, and problem persists

all of the switches, including HOLD, on the Top Eject Relay are correct and filed. there are also three switches on the Score Motor (one on INDEX, and one on cam 4 and 5) associated with top eject. those switches are correct and filed as well.

in further investigation, i see that when the Top Eject Switch is activated, the Top Eject Relay is activated (pulls in). but instead of a single pulse, the Top Eject Relay does not stop pulling in. if i manually disengage Top Eject Relay, the Top Eject Coil stops pulsing.

i also noticed that when Top Eject Switch is activated, the Right Bonus Step Up coil is activated (pulls in) and keeps pulling in as well as the top eject relay. ( i find this strange because i do not see a relationship between the top eject, and bonus step up.)

-barry

#5 6 years ago

If you hold the index switch or the hold switch open does it still stick on? Something somewhere is bypassing one of those switches...

I actually had pretty much the same problem a month ago but it went away magically before I could track it down

#6 6 years ago

( i find this strange because i do not see a relationship between the top eject, and bonus step up.)

Actually, before the top hole ejects, it gives the bonus (left or right
depending on which is lit) 5,000 points.
When you manually disengage the top eject hole relay, can you feel
it energized, or maybe is the coil (plate) magnetized?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

before the top hole ejects, it gives the bonus (left or right
depending on which is lit) 5,000 points.

I meant to say it adds 5,000 to the score, and gives the bonus (the one that's lit)
3 step ups..

#8 6 years ago

Mopar yeah when i manually disengage, its energized. i have to pull on it, it doesnt want to disengage.

also yeah, that makes sense they are related. but still to super clarify, the right bonus step up coil stays engaged, the same as the top eject relay coil. the right bonus is so energized its difficult to manually disengage it.

#9 6 years ago

Grand Prix is one of the very few machines that I have
without the schematics. I'll open her up tomorrow and see
if I can spot what it possibly may be.. (T)

#10 6 years ago

Make absolutely certain that the coin door coin Shute switches are not stuck closed.

#12 6 years ago

I took a look and the circuit of concern went to C3 & C8 (I believe),
but lost it there. Not quite the same as studying a schematic in hand.
So the top eject shoots the ball out and keeps firing, and the bonus
step up coil just remains energized and pulled in, right? If not tomorrow,
Friday for sure I'll check it out my machine..

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I took a look and the circuit of concern went to C3 & C8 (I believe),
but lost it there. Not quite the same as studying a schematic in hand.
So the top eject shoots the ball out and keeps firing, and the bonus
step up coil just remains energized and pulled in, right? If not tomorrow,
Friday for sure I'll check it out my machine..

Mopar yes thats correct, and also the top eject relay remains energized (which is why top eject keeps pulsing), and if while said things are energized/pulsing the ball drains, next ball is released, and the drop targets coils begin pulsing nonstop along with the top eject coil.

#14 6 years ago

the top eject relay remains energized

Here's another switch to check.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#15 6 years ago

HowardR that swich is filed and correct. Also the switch on cam 4 is filed and correct as well :/

#16 6 years ago

Have you verified the switches are correct using continuity test?

#17 6 years ago

zacaj no I haven't. Would it be relay to score motor, and motor to top eject coil?

I'm also very curious to check the coin door switches mentioned in post 10, once I get home tonight. ..

#18 6 years ago

zacaj no I haven't. Would it be relay to score motor, and motor to top eject coil?
I'm also very curious to check the coin door switches mentioned in post 10, once I get home tonight. ..

No, check across each switch you think is opening correctly. When they're open there should be no continuity across them, so if there is there must be a short or something somewhere

#19 6 years ago

I had a very similar issue and it ended up being this.

#20 6 years ago

Okay, I cracked open the Grand Prix. The set of switches on the score motor's cam
that breaks the Top Hole Eject Relay is in the 3rd stack (of switches) from the right, the
top set.
The set of switches that breaks both the Left and Right Advance Relays (the advance
relays steps up the Bonus Coil), is in the 1st stack of switches on the left. The first top 3
switches are make/break, then the next set down breaks (pulses) the Left and Right
Advance Relays. You'll want to carefully inspect those switches and make sure they're
breaking, no super thin stainless steel strans (or whatever) are in those areas, and also
you'll want to double check the wire (solder) taps. Those switches that I mention should
be breaking their circuits. The Top Hole Eject Relay does initially energize the Advance
Relays, but they should be pulsing even if the Top Hole Eject Relay isn't breaking..

#21 6 years ago

alright, so this is frustrating and perplexing.

I checked continuity on the hold switch of top eject relay, and the three switches associated with top eject on the score motor (5B, 4D, and Index C). all were correct when open and closed.

I also checked the solder joints on all mentioned switches. they were all okay as well. I did find a stray wire touching another solder connected to a switch on Index D (which is associated with pulsing bonus units). i fixed that but now, while top eject is constantly pulsing, both LEFT AND RIGHT bonus unit Step UP coils pulse constantly as well.

(i should mention too that when i manually engage Left or Right advance relays, BOTH left AND right relays fire at same time, and score motor runs. im fairly certain manually engaging left or right advance relay should just step up associated bonus unit, and not run score motor)

i also checked coin door switches, but they were correct.

i should also say, i have inspected and cleaned EVERY relay in cabinet, and also cleaned and corrected ALL the switches on the score motor. Im very confused.

#22 6 years ago

Any luck figuring this out?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-top-eject-hole?hl=barrymulvihill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.