You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grand Prix scoring targets 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Grand Prix scoring targets (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

just got game buttoned up...almost. when switching players (at least all that im noticing), once in a while, not every time, it will add 1000 or 10000 pts. had this problem before on a space mission as seen in my other posts and it ended up being the appropriate points relay on the score motor cam. thought that may be the case and i tried cleaning / burnishing that on cam impulse A as it's all i could find; but that had no luck. maybe i didn't clean it good enough? anything else that im missing or forgetting to look at?

#2 1 year ago

messed with cam impulse A again with no luck. seems to be properly adjusted but when switching player; game will intermittently add 1000 or 10000 pts to the player before ball is even shot. poked around with the scoring relays in the head and they all work and operate; but i noticed if i gently push on them they will all "machine gun" action. just cycle back and forth like a machine gun. maybe this is my problem on the 1000 or 10000 point relays? is this normal action? if i firmly press them; they're fine.

#3 1 year ago

anybody have any advice here? am i on the right track or am i missing something/somewhere else to look into?

#4 1 year ago

What are the 1000 Point relay and the 100 Point relay doing when this happens?

To be specific on the timing, this kind of bulb tester could help you find out the answer to that question
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-yourself-a-bulb-tester

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What are the 1000 Point relay and the 100 Point relay doing when this happens?
To be specific on the timing, this kind of bulb tester could help you find out the answer to that question

do you mean 1000 and 10k relays? tough to diagnose the relays during this. i would have to stand behind the machine and watch in the head (where they're located). i could do it, just take some time as the problem isn't every time it switches players. ill try and check it out and report back here.

#6 1 year ago

Does this occur when the ball ejects into the shooter lane?

#7 1 year ago

just checked things out. i watched it switch players and the 1000 pt relay triggered when switching players. as far as when it shoots it to the lane; yes i believe thats when it's happening. it's a fast process as i believe the ball is shot to the lane at the same time it switches players.

#8 1 year ago

It could be that a switch is gapped too close and game vibrations are racking up points. You might try gently pounding on the playfield with your fist during a game to see if you can score points that way. If you can, pounding on different parts of the playfield might zero in on which switches might be the problem.

Otherwise, there are many normally open switches that can award 1000 or 10000 points. Some of them are rollover or target switches and some of them are relay switches. I'd start by blocking the rollover and target switches with bits of paper to see if that makes the problem go away. If it does remove the paper one switch at a time to see which one causes the problem.

/Mark

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It could be that a switch is gapped too close and game vibrations are racking up points. You might try gently pounding on the playfield with your fist during a game to see if you can score points that way. If you can, pounding on different parts of the playfield might zero in on which switches might be the problem.
Otherwise, there are many normally open switches that can award 1000 or 10000 points. Some of them are rollover or target switches and some of them are relay switches. I'd start by blocking the rollover and target switches with bits of paper to see if that makes the problem go away. If it does remove the paper one switch at a time to see which one causes the problem.
/Mark

great info, thanks! tried pounding the playfield and had no luck. even lifted it up slightly and firmly set it back down a bunch of time and nothing. assuming vibration isn't the issue. im not following you with the rollover or target switches though; which ones are those? this is tough to diagnose as you could play 1 or 2 balls with 3-4 players and have it be fine; so it'll take some time to get through everything.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

do you mean 1000 and 10k relays?

Quoted from HowardR:

What are ... and the 100 Point relay doing when this happens?

Quoted from vipertblck:

i would have to stand behind the machine and watch in the head (where they're located).

Quoted from HowardR:

#11 1 year ago

having trouble understanding what you're explaining. the 100 point relay didn't move from the one that i saw. it was the 1000 point relay that triggered itself, thus scoring the reel when switching players. i watched the relay trigger between switching players.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

the 100 point relay didn't move

Then we can rule out the 100 point relay's carry function as a cause for the 1000 point relay activation and concentrate on other causes.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

im not following you with the rollover or target switches though; which ones are those?

There are lots of ways to fire the 1000 or 10000 point relays:
Grand Prix scoring targets (resized).jpgGrand Prix scoring targets (resized).jpg
I'm speculating that the circuits that can score with just a target or rollover switch closing (in red) are more likely to be the problem than the circuits that rely on some other relay firing and closing a switch. Any switch that has a label that ends with "RE." is a switch mounted to and driven by a relay.

If you just finished going through the game, maybe cleaning the playfield, etc. then chances are good that a playfield switch might have been affected in the process.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Then we can rule out the 100 point relay's carry function as a cause for the 1000 point relay activation.

understood. so the 1000 pt relay carries it's signal through the 100 point relay? what's the next step here?

#15 1 year ago

If MarkG 's suggestion doesn't reveal the problem, then try this:

The particular kind of problem you have can be difficult: (1) Intermittent and (2) Something that happens when it shouldn't instead of the reverse.

But don't despair, persistence will pay off
Inspect the switches on these circuits, and if that doesn't narrow down the problem, put slips of paper or other insulating material in between the switches in these 12 circuits (yikes!!) and see whether the problem disappears. If so, then remove them one at a time to narrow down which circuit is at fault.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If MarkG 's suggestion doesn't reveal the problem, then try this:
The particular kind of problem you have can be difficult: (1) Intermittent and (2) Something that happens when it shouldn't instead of the reverse.
But don't despair, persistence will pay off
Inspect the switches on these circuits, and if that doesn't narrow down the problem, put slips of paper or other insulating material in between the switches in these 12 circuits (yikes!!) and see whether the problem disappears. If so, then remove them one at a time to narrow down which circuit is at fault.
[quoted image]

WOW that got tricky!!!! anyways, stuck a piece of paper in the no.1 star relay between switches grey/yellow & brown/yellow. played 2 full games on 4 players with 5 balls and it's good! im still stumped. where the paper lies is a NC switch, and when the relay energizes it's open; the switch adjustment appears ok; but with paper removedit continues it's random scoring....what is proper position/adj. of this switch?

#17 1 year ago

spoke too soon; was playing a 3rd game and it triggered the 10000 relay switching to player 2

#18 1 year ago

i blocked both sides of this switch. its a make/break switch. with the paper blocking it the game played fine but when you would rack up the bonus lights (5000,10k,15k and so on) it counts down when the ball drains and didnt score them on the reels with the paper in place. paper removed it would score on the reels. so; this switch seems to control the bonus points on the score reels as they're lit up. maybe my problem is somewhere in a bonus unit?

#19 1 year ago

i am STUMPED. thought maybe the bonus units had something going on but check and cleaned those few switches on the left and right units...again, and no luck. it's something with this no.1 star switch as paper over the middle contact(grey/yellow) on the make/break switch will fix it and no more mystery scoring! i've looked and cleaned and adjusted the switch enough times to break it! whatever this switch controls (i thought was the bonus units) must be what's creating my mystery scoring issue....i can't figure it out though

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

i blocked both sides of this switch. its a make/break switch. with the paper blocking it the game played fine

It sounds like you've identified which path the intermittent points are coming through - the path through the No. 1 Star relay Make/Break switch. That would explain why sometimes it's 1000 points and other times it's 10,000 points. Now you need to sort out which switch in that path is closing when it shouldn't. Maybe try blocking the two switches that lead to the switch you blocked:
Grand Prix scoring targets 2 (resized).jpgGrand Prix scoring targets 2 (resized).jpg
This path is probably used to count the Bonus points when you drain so don't expect to get those points when you block those switches - just see if it prevents the intermittent points.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It sounds like you've identified which path the intermittent points are coming through - the path through the No. 1 Star relay Make/Break switch. That would explain why sometimes it's 1000 points and other times it's 10,000 points. Now you need to sort out which switch in that path is closing when it shouldn't. Maybe try blocking the two switches that lead to the switch you blocked:
[quoted image]
This path is probably used to count the Bonus points when you drain so don't expect to get those points when you block those switches - just see if it prevents the intermittent points.

thank you!!! ill check out the left and right bonus relays later today and see what i can find. did a quick glance at them last night and they LOOKED ok; but i didnt clean or do any adjustments on them

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

but i didnt clean or do any adjustments on them

As tempting as it might be to clean switches, think about the issue at hand first. The 1000 and 10,000 point relays are firing when they shouldn't, implying that a circuit is completing when it shouldn't. The problem is unlikely to be a dirty switch. A dirty switch usually means that a circuit won't complete when it should. I can't think of a scenario where a dirty switch completes a circuit when it shouldn't.

I'd recommend solving the problem before cleaning more switches to avoid introducing new problems.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]

Quoted from MarkG:

As tempting as it might be to clean switches, think about the issue at hand first. The 1000 and 10,000 point relays are firing when they shouldn't, implying that a circuit is completing when it shouldn't. The problem is unlikely to be a dirty switch. A dirty switch usually means that a circuit won't complete when it should. I can't think of a scenario where a dirty switch completes a circuit when it shouldn't.
I'd recommend solving the problem before cleaning more switches to avoid introducing new problems.

so for the left and right bonus relays; it looks like im to try blocking the switches with the grey/yellow wires to see if that fixes my issue?

#24 1 year ago

great scott!!! i think we may have got it! the brown/green & brown/orange contact on the right bonus relay was a little snug. loosened that baby up a bit and played 2 full games on 4 players flawlessly. except now my "score right bonus" hole isn't ejecting the ball when it falls in. not sure the correct term but it's the small pit on the right side of playfield the ball falls into and racks up points and then it spits it back out. was working fine! i fixed one problem and now created another. this too is an intermittent problem that is fixed by playing with the flippers and then it shoots the ball out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-random-over-score and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.