(Topic ID: 277268)

Grand Prix player advance issue

By vipertblck

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams stepper reset arm (resized).jpg
    39DD3E8B-F2B2-4972-B14E-F158102296F9 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Grand Prix won’t advance beyond player 1. What’s this little guy in the player unit? Seems it was holding the brakes on the step down solenoid. Unhooked the spring and now it seems fine

39DD3E8B-F2B2-4972-B14E-F158102296F9 (resized).jpeg39DD3E8B-F2B2-4972-B14E-F158102296F9 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

This is a Ball Count Unit but it's basically the same resetting stepper:
    https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#BallCountUnit

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

What is this piece though? Trying to figure out it’s purpose. Have the spring unhooked so it’s not functioning & game seems to be working ok. It’s almost as if
    It’s an arm or lever that prevents the player unit from Advancing to the next
    Player

#4 3 years ago

I think it has something to do with the latching of the ratchet arms away from the gear after the reset coil is pulsed.

#5 3 years ago

There is a pair of arms that controls how the stepper gear moves. I'm not sure what they're called so I'll call them the Advance arm and the Reset arm as labeled below:
    Williams stepper reset arm (resized).jpgWilliams stepper reset arm (resized).jpg
    Normally as the stepper advances the Reset arm rests behind the vertical face of a tooth on the copper colored gear to prevent the gear from rotating counter clockwise (in this photo). The Advance arm gets pulled to the left by the advance solenoid where it engages the next tooth and then it gets pulled the right by the springs. As the Advance arm moves to the right it rotates the stepper gear enough that the Reset arm rides up over the next tooth and drops in behind its vertical face.

During reset the Reset arm is lifted off the gear entirely. As it rises it also lifts the Advance arm off the gear too so the gear can free wheel back to its reset position due to the tension in the torsion spring wrapped around the axle.

When the Reset arm is lifted off the gear a third arm (part number IA-3832 - no idea what its called) slides to the right and under the end of the Reset arm as shown in the red box. The Reset arm is held off the gear and also holds the Advance arm off the gear so the gear rests in its reset position. The first time the Advance arm gets pulled to the left to advance the gear one step it pushes the IA-3832 to the left too which allows the Reset arm to drop back onto the gear and engage with a tooth.

The stepper can work with the IA-3832 arm disabled (by removing the spring) but it should always work with the spring in place if the stepper is clean and adjusted properly. I think the IA-3832 is part of what distinguishes a resetting stepper from a stepper that subtracts one step at a time, like a replay or credit unit.

/Mark

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

There is a pair of arms that controls how the stepper gear moves. I'm not sure what they're called so I'll call them the Advance arm and the Reset arm as labeled below:
    [quoted image]
    Normally as the stepper advances the Reset arm rests behind the vertical face of a tooth on the copper colored gear to prevent the gear from rotating counter clockwise (in this photo). The Advance arm gets pulled to the left by the advance solenoid where it engages the next tooth and then it gets pulled the right by the springs. As the Advance arm moves to the right it rotates the stepper gear enough that the Reset arm rides up over the next tooth and drops in behind its vertical face.
    During reset the Reset arm is lifted off the gear entirely. As it rises it also lifts the Advance arm off the gear too so the gear can free wheel back to its reset position due to the tension in the torsion spring wrapped around the axle.
    When the Reset arm is lifted off the gear a third arm (part number IA-3832 - no idea what its called) slides to the right and under the end of the Reset arm as shown in the red box. The Reset arm is held off the gear and also holds the Advance arm off the gear so the gear rests in its reset position. The first time the Advance arm gets pulled to the left to advance the gear one step it pushes the IA-3832 to the left too which allows the Reset arm to drop back onto the gear and engage with a tooth.
    The stepper can work with the IA-3832 arm disabled (by removing the spring) but it should always work with the spring in place if the stepper is clean and adjusted properly. I think the IA-3832 is part of what distinguishes a resetting stepper from a stepper that subtracts one step at a time, like a replay or credit unit.
    /Mark

ahhh I gotcha! exactly the kinda info and help I was lookin for! thanks for the time to clarify that, helped out a ton! sounds like I could clean and adjust the unit a bit. rather have it all hooked up and working properly before selling the game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-player-advance-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.