You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Just got a non-working Grand Prix. The machine lights up, but when trying to start a game the credits go down by one, but the score on player one does not reset. There is just a buzzing noise coming from near the scoring reel.

This is my first pin so if it isn’t an easy fix I’m contemplating just calling a tech since I got it for a good price.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Slips:

This is my first pin so if it isn’t an easy fix I’m contemplating just calling a tech since I got it for a good price.

Decide which way you want to go by (1) how handy you are at fixing things, (2) how meticulous you are and (3) how much you'll enjoy the process of learning.

#3 5 years ago

You'll get overcharged by a "tech," so try to fix it yourself... You can first manually reset all the score reels to zero. Then start a game. Does the game play normally? After attempting to start a game with scores showing on the score reels, look in the backbox to see which coil is buzzing. Is it a score reel solenoid or a relay coil? Let us know, then we can give you some ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem...

#4 5 years ago

Follow Fred’s advice. I have more fun repairing then I do playing so learn to enjoy it. With all the great minds on here you will get it working.

I learned a ton by reading this http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

#5 5 years ago

Game doesn’t start by resetting the score, same problem persists. I’ll send a picture of where the buzzing is coming from because I can’t figure out the exact location.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

fredsmythson

#6 5 years ago

That coil looks toasty. The plunger may be stuck from the coil sleeve melting.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

That coil looks toasty. The plunger may be stuck from the coil sleeve melting.

I was able to compress the plunger manually when resetting the score wheel if that’s what you’re referring too. Again I’m new to this so I’m trying to learn all the terminology as I go.

#8 5 years ago

Does the score motor keep running non stop while this is happening?
Also, check that no switch on the playfield
Is making contact causing it to try and score.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

Does the score motor keep running non stop while this is happening?
Also, check that no switch on the playfield
Is making contact causing it to try and score.

Yeah it keeps buzzing, if it’s the motor making the noise. I’ll take a look at the playfield.

#10 5 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/wmsmotor1.jpg

Quoted from Slips:Yeah it keeps buzzing, if it’s the motor making the noise. I’ll take a look at the playfield.

This is the score motor, does it keep spinning?

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/wmsmotor1.jpg

This is the score motor, does it keep spinning?
[quoted image]

It stops spinning

#12 5 years ago

Good. Look for what scores 10points on the play field and see if any contacts are gapped to close and touching. Buy a contact adjusting tool also, it will be your best friend.

#13 5 years ago

When your turn it on does the 10point relay in the back box pull in and stay energized?

#14 5 years ago

I’ll look at the contacts. The 10 point relay does not pull in and stay energized.

#15 5 years ago

Then the contacts could be adjusted wrong on the 10 pt relay causing the score reel to energize and not release. That would explain the burnt looking coil on the score reel. I would almost guarantee that’s the problem.
By the way Gran Prix is the most complex EM ever made from what I hear.

#16 5 years ago

Here’s maybe a better picture. What would we do to fix the contacts?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#17 5 years ago

Let me know if I could take any more pictures if they’re helpful. I appreciate all of the responses.

#18 5 years ago

The 10pt relay will be in a bank of relays in the back box, should be labeled but stickers fall off sometimes.
Try and figure out exactly what coil is energizing and buzzing in the back box before we proceed. That will help us pinpoint the problem better.

#19 5 years ago

It’s really hard to tell but we think it’s the 1,000

#20 5 years ago

Ok. Look at the middle right side of the back box just to the right of the credit wheel and locate the 1,000pt relay among the bank of relays and see if it stays energized also.

#21 5 years ago

By staying energized you mean use a voltage meter right?

#22 5 years ago

Does the coil pull in the plunger and not release it? It should just pull in and release only when scoring points on play field.

#23 5 years ago

The scoring reel coil right? None of the plungers pull in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-not-starting?hl=cdemuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.