DE3A4674-26A8-4627-A49D-47C5F87D578D (resized).jpeg
000DFBB4-A2A6-425E-A07A-7A5BD758F8F6 (resized).jpeg
CaptureGP03 (resized).JPG
CaptureGP02 (resized).JPG
CaptureGP01 (resized).JPG
186AB8AD-89B4-44FC-83E0-F0C50794F4C5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have had issues with my game for years with skipping players, and top saucer kickout not always kicking the ball out on the first pass of the score motor. See below for the original post where this issue, if it happens causes balls or players to be skipped.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-skipping-players#post-6918823
What I feel is the issue is it has something to do with the circuit that drives the top saucer, drop target reset, and outhole kickout. See video below. At 16-17 seconds you will see that the top saucer only scores 2k points on the first pass of the score motor, then it scores the remaining 3k and kicks the ball out.
Same for the drops. at the end of the video, the game only scores 2k points for the first pass of the motor, does not reset the drops, then scores the remaining 3k, and resets the drops.

I feel if I fix these issues, my outhole intermittently not kicking the ball out and skipping players will be fixed.
thanks!

Hmm.. shot in the dark, but maybe check out the 500pt relay? Specifically the R/BR NO switch.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Really? Even though these are 5,000 point awards?

Yeah, TBH, I'm having trouble reading the WMS schematic, and at work so kind of flipping windows.. lol, but it is fairly common to re-use the 500pt for 5k points etc, I am guessing this might be the case so it was a shot in the dark. There does seem to be a connection to it anyway.. so worth a clean and adjust anyway to test.

#6 1 year ago

Maybe worth a look on the score motor as well.

It's curious how they are connected on the R/BR path.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My issues got a bit worse when I cleaned and adjusted the ball index relay. Here are my issues. See videos below. The one shows the game skipping multiple players before it kicks the ball out. the other shows how the 500 and 5000 point awards do not give the correct points always, or in the case of the saucer and drops, it takes 2 passes of the score motor to score the points and kick the ball out/reset the drops.

How are the actual contacts? I had an issue with an older WMS where the contacts were pitted.. I was chasing ghosts for a while, but ended up ordering new contacts from PBR and basically rebuilt any leafs with pitted contacts. Machine was bullet proof after this...

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All look fine to me. Not seeing pitted contacts anywhere.
Did some more tested and verified that the 100 and 1000 relays appear to be operating properly. They pulse 5 times when the award scores correctly. When the issue occurs, they only fire the amount of times they are pulsed. So whatever tells them to pulse in these situations is not always making solid contact imo.
So for the saucer collect for example. What tells the game to fire the 1000 relay 5 times? I assume a switch on the score motor right? Something there fires 5 times while the score motor runs?

That's the impulse section of the schematic that I posted above...

#13 1 year ago

Actually a bit of a bad screen grab... so the A section of the second impulse.

Try this:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15 1 year ago

No problem. There is also a whole bunch tied into the player unit mech on this title. It has been a long time since I have worked on this tho.. so perhaps good news.. once you get it going, it is actually a very reliable machine in my experience anyway.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s plenty easy to get to those stacks by simply unscrewing them. Do you leave them attached when cleaning and adjusting? Found it really hard to get at the switches when the stacks were still attached to the motor housing.

Yes, you definitely need them tightened on to be able to inspect the switch contacts during rotation.

Score motor is pretty forgiving, but you should have a good gap on open, and a bit of a rub with each closure so they self clean.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-issues?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.