Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by baldtwit
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm cleaning up a #Grand Prix, and I've ALMOST got it back 100%. BUT (there's always a but) I've stared at this one glitch so long now that I can't see the forest for the trees. At startup, and every ball after, the left bonus double clutches and starts off at 10,000. I've also noticed that when I hit the left outlane, or the left side Advance Bonus sling, the outhole kicker cycles (as if it was serving up another ball). They both advance the Bonus one step, as they should. If you collect the left bonus during a ball, the bonus resets as it should, no double clutch.
I'm convinced this is a simple fix, but it's eluding me. I've traced back through every circuit I can find, but no luck.
I look forward to someone making me say "DUH"!
Jim

#2 2 years ago

score motor cam switch 2A stuck closed?

if not, is switch 4A stuck closed?

if not, is the outhole relay powering when you cause a left bonus advance?

#3 2 years ago

I just checked them both, and 2A and 4A are both cycling correctly, but yes, the outhole relay powers on when you cause a left bonus advance by either hitting the sling just below the left collect bonus saucer, or the left outlane (which also causes a left bonus advance). But not when you hit the spinner to advance the left bonus.
Jim

#4 2 years ago

Not trying to bump this thread, but I found another glitch which may provide a clue. When you match, it awards two games instead of one. I've done it twice. When you play 4 players, and match two of them, it awards three games. Does that help lead to the smoking gun?
Jim

#5 2 years ago

ugh.

well, the outhole relay shouldn't power unless a ball is in the outhole and the bonus unit selected by the alternator relay is zero.

is your outhole switch gapped really small - if you knock on the playfield near the outhole, does the outhole relay power?

a flaky score motor 5D switch could cause extra pulses to be generated to the bonus and replay units, but that wouldn't explain the outhole relay powering when you hit the left advance sling and causing the ball release to fire.

#6 2 years ago

I replied to your other post in Grand Prix Club.

Try This:

I will start with your outhole (Ball release) Solenoid being activated with the left outlane and left advance bonus sling.

There are 2 switches, in series, that must close to activate the Outhole (ball release) solenoid.

#1 is the Make-or-Break on the Outhole Relay located on the cabinet Mechanical board
#2 is motor cam switch 4-A

I have a question for you. If you activate the score motor (during an active game without the ball in the outhole) does the outhole (ball release) solenoid activate?
If it does then the Switch on your outhole relay is most likely closed when it should be open.
Let me know what you find.

#7 2 years ago

post #3 says the outhole relay is powering.

'course, maybe there's some confusion between the outhole relay vs. the ball release solenoid. The solenoid is the thing that kicks the ball over to the shooter, while the relay is on the bottom board.

assuming the outhole relay is powering, there's no obvious switch/wiper that could be causing it ... so that leaves a short somewhere.

#8 2 years ago

I added "Ball release" when referring to the solenoid in my post. That might make it a little more clear. My bad

I guess we need a little clarification:

Is the Relay (device with switches on the mechanic board in the bottom of the cabinet) powering on

-OR-

is the Solenoid firing (as he mentioned it is as if the game is trying to serve up a ball)

You would not hear the relay necessarily activating (You would need to be looking at the relay to see if it is being powered) but you would hear the Ball Release solenoid firing.

#9 2 years ago

if the outhole relay is powering and the score motor is doing a cycle (an outhole relay switch will cycle the score motor if nothing else does), then 4A switch will cause the release solenoid to fire ... assuming the outhole relay was powered before 4A pulsed closed. I read post #3 as the solenoid firing is just a side effect of the outhole relay powering.

I think the OP couldn't see a sensible solution on the schem because there doesn't appear to be one. If the left bonus unit is close to the outhole or outhole relay, and a switch is gapped really small, the vibration of the step-up coil could cause a switch closure and the hold switch will keep the outhole relay powered.

"hit it with a hammer" is a valid debug approach

otherwise, seems like there needs to be a short.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-double-clutching and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.