• Latest reply 2 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grand Prix outhole relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Working my way through a Grand Prix I just bought. The biggest issue is the ball will not advance to Ball 3. I am not the best with schematics so I am trying to solve the problem by process of elimination and slowly parsing out how things are related.

I rebuilt both left and right bonus steppers and they are working 100% and counting down bonus, kicking the ball out of the left and right saucers. Switches are cleaned and adjusted on both bonus units.

The alternating relay, which hits the ball count unit to start ball 3, is definitely firing/locked on after ball 2 drains.

One of the switches on the right bonus relay is arcing a little bit after ball 2 drains, but I can't tell if the right bonus relay is the problem since the right bonus is counting down correctly.

What else to check? Ball index relay looks ok, should I inspect the outhole relay?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 2 years ago

I did a thread on here a few months ago about how these era Williams games go through the player/ball advance procedure if you want to read it - there might be something in there that would help you:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-player-unit-coin-unit-interaction

I wonder if you have something blocking your ball count unit. If you push the plunger in with your finger, does each click move the ball count up one?

#3 2 years ago

paulace thanks so much, I will review your thread. Anything to help me understand this procedure. The ball count unit on the relay board is stepping up smoothly with the plunger and resetting appropriately. Will try to observe how the ball count unit works going through ball 1, 2 etc.

#4 2 years ago

The game will advance to ball 3 if I manually trigger the outhole relay. So something is not activating that relay…

#5 2 years ago

Here's the circuit for the outhole relay. (Man, that's a big schematic!) You have a few switches in that circuit to check. Either one of them is open when it shouldn't be, or you have a break in the wiring somewhere. A jumper's probably the easiest way to narrow down the trouble area, if you're familiar with that method of troubleshooting.

Grand Prix outhole relay (resized).jpgGrand Prix outhole relay (resized).jpg

Check your outhole switch to make sure that the contacts are clean and touching too.

#6 2 years ago

Case closed. I tested a bit more, then went back to the schematics. The ball wouldn’t kick out on ball 2 or 4. So right bonus related issue was a prime suspect. I went back and checked the right bonus unit zero switch was misadjusted and wasn’t making contact at the reset position. On to the next issue

#7 2 years ago

Yeah! Good job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-ball-won-t-advance-to-ball-3-after-drain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.