(Topic ID: 303071)

Grand Prix 2,3,4 player

By dsquared_314

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Plays perfect for 1 player game. It is functions correctly when adding players. After I play ball 1 for all players it does not go back to player 1 ball 2. I looked at the schematic and that was a lot to digest.

I didn’t have much time to dig into this. I will take off the player unit, clean, ensure everything is tight, and hopefully that will fix it. Any other thoughts or fixes from other owners that had similar problem?

After player unit, look at ball count stepper?

#2 2 years ago

I did a post on this mechanism a little bit ago that explains player number/ball number workings:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-player-unit-coin-unit-interaction

It looks like Grand Prix uses the same mechanism for that function as the game I was working on so the schematic I drew is relevant. I'd look carefully at your Coin Unit - see if all the spider fingers are making good contact and that it's moving. It should move to one of four positions as you add players before the game, and then not move during the game.

If the Coin Unit is good, look at the circuit that fires the Player Reset Relay coil....perhaps that Ball Count Unit E.O.S. switch. The Player Reset Relay coil should fire after the last player's ball drains.

#3 2 years ago

After thinking about it a little more, there are several things that have to be working in order for the machine to go from Player 4, Ball 1 to Player 1, Ball 2:

- The Player Unit and Coin Unit need to be moving properly and all the spider finger connections have to be made. As far as stepping up to the next ball is concerned, the Coin Unit is involved in a 1-3 player game, but a 4-player game bypasses the Coin Unit and goes through the Player Unit only to fire the Ball Count Unit S.U. coil.

- It sounds like your Player Unit S.U. coil is firing since you're able to go through Players 1-4.

- In order for your machine to go back to Player 1, the Player Reset Relay has to fire, so the EOS switch on the Ball Count Unit S.U. coil needs to work. There is also a M/B switch on the Player Reset relay that has to switch.

- After the Player Reset Relay fires, the Player Unit Reset coil should fire - that takes the Player Unit back to Player 1 from wherever it is.

#4 2 years ago

Cleaned and lubricated player unit, works fine, now.
The info you provided was helpful and growing my knowledge of williams functionality. I’ve only worked on gottlieb. Thanks again for your time and knowledge sharing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-234-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.