6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

i acquired a Grand Prix, hoping to fix it for the owner. I had also hoped i could fix it on my own lol. now Im asking pinside for help.

it seems to have been hacked in very poor ways, which may add to my confusion. there are many issues, but the first i ask about is:

when credit button is pushed, game does not fully reset. if i manually engage coin relay, play field powers up. any hints as to why coin relay and credit button do not connect?

other issues ive found:
ball count unit does not fire at all.
occasionally left spinner shuts off play field. after ball is ejected, play field is energized again.
scores do not reset when coin relay, player reset, reset or ANY other relays are engaged.

thank you in advance.
-barry

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

when credit button is pushed, game does not fully reset. if i manually engage coin relay, play field powers up. any hints as to why coin relay and credit button do not connect?

The reason the coin relay and credit button don't connect is because there's no connection between them. See the attached schematic fragment.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "game does not fully reset"

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The reason the coin relay and credit button don't connect is because there's no connection between them. See the attached schematic fragment.
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "game does not fully reset"

Scores do not reset an Playfield does not energize. Ball does not eject.

#4 6 years ago

Do you have a multimeter? You can check to see if you're getting voltage at the credit button switch. This will give us a clue at what part of the circuit to look at...

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

Do you have a multimeter? You can check to see if you're getting voltage at the credit button switch. This will give us a clue at what part of the circuit to look at...

I'm getting about 16 volts.

#6 6 years ago

I have a hunch it's my credit unit switches....Need to find out which normally closed/open. If I engage game over relay and then manually engage credit unit, Playfield energizes.

Score reel don't reset still tho..

#7 6 years ago

I'd first try to troubleshoot the non-op credit button switch. Check the following:

Reset relay switch
Sore motor switch IND-A
Credit button switch
Credit unit zero break switch
Game over relay switch

Refer to the schematic for the related wire colors for each switch. Make sure the switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#8 6 years ago

BarryMulvihill , I just finished up restoring my Grand Prix. I sort of had a similar start-up issue. Make sure you clean/sand/dremel ALL of the Jones connectors. I had several issues that were resolved simply because of bad connections. Also, if you are not familiar with Williams EMs (I was not), watch this video....several times. I found it VERY useful:

#9 6 years ago

The credit unit seems to have been fixed by cleaning all Jones plugs thank you for the advice
The ball count unit is my next hurdle. It never energizes. I will start a new thread for that tho..
Thank you pinside. You're always helpful

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.