Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 479 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 95 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

295794543_588214913029839_8914066685649711063_n (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    0ec6307b0672b8a57158b8b42dc09b81.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220726-073836_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-073239_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    System 11B Top (resized).png
    20220611_000930 (resized).jpg
    20220611_001002 (resized).jpg
    pan (resized).png
    11AC44D3-2DE5-4A92-9FCD-53697C05E6F7 (resized).jpeg
    18E6AA65-AB25-4025-A6CF-4F9356B5E8CD (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot from 2022-03-26 09-45-48 (resized).png
    0ECA3FFC-A7A8-415B-B6AE-4224482F4A6C (resized).jpeg
    B2646F4A-502C-4144-88AA-6696C318E627 (resized).jpeg
    473FB65A-DDFE-4F00-BCD3-2942EF6E368A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#181 2 years ago

I don't find it strange at all - a guy comes on here helping the community and 50% of the posts here are hammering him - what do you expect?

Flame away entitled millennials - hahahaha

#195 2 years ago

Not a great look BUT I would be inclined to just solder them on and use the board. Think of it as a "partial kit".

If I received a board with parts not soldered I would certainly carefully study the entire board and confirm everything else is soldered well before installing it.

4 months later
    #267 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Pinball_Basement How are these top traces connected to the IC? You can't ship this stuff until you fix the manufacturing process.
    [quoted image]

I agree it isn't good BUT they will be connected top the top traces via the 'vias' - the plated through holes in the PCB.

As long as they are soldered on the bottom this won't prevent connections.

2 months later
    #412 1 year ago

PCBs are never "soldered both sides". You don't understand the process.

Wave soldering does exactly that - it creates a 'wave' of solder that sweeps across the BOTTOM of the PCB as it passes over the wave - usually dragged past by a chain. Through hole boards are NEVER soldered on the top.

If temps and speed of the driven chain are all set correctly the solder will usually wick through the holes but not always.

#414 1 year ago
    Quoted from kungfucop:

You are probably right. But I swear I saw long ago on some documentary using robotic / automated assembly setups where boards are dipped into a solder wave deep enough to cover both sides and then a channel of pressurized air would simultaneously remove the excess.

Doubt it, it would damage components. As it is, you really have to watch temps VERY carefully with a wave soldering machine to avoid damaging parts so I can't see how dunking the entire board would ever be a thing? Certainly never in my travels over many years and to many assembly houses have I ever seen anything like this.

#416 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen that dunking process as well. I too was curious how they did it without harming the components.

Yes, there is a "dunking" method but the board is not entirely submerged - it is lowered into the molten solder until surface tension just prevents it from flowing onto the top of the board.

You can even do it yourself using a frypan, spray flux onto the underside of the PCB with parts then lower it so the board is just touching the surface of the molten solder. Wave the board around a little, side to side and withdraw it vertically and it should come away cleanly.

pan (resized).pngpan (resized).png
    #418 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen the solder pot method before, and that's not the one that's a mystery.
    What I was curious about was complete or near complete submersion.

Solder pots are almost always for tinning the end of wires from my experience not soldering completed boards.

Completely submerging the components would surely not be within the specs for any parts I know of. That's not to say people don't do it but it would be courting disaster IMO.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-opening-of-the-pinball-basement-check-it-out?tu=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.