Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 479 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 95 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

295794543_588214913029839_8914066685649711063_n (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    0ec6307b0672b8a57158b8b42dc09b81.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220726-073836_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-073239_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    System 11B Top (resized).png
    20220611_000930 (resized).jpg
    20220611_001002 (resized).jpg
    pan (resized).png
    11AC44D3-2DE5-4A92-9FCD-53697C05E6F7 (resized).jpeg
    18E6AA65-AB25-4025-A6CF-4F9356B5E8CD (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot from 2022-03-26 09-45-48 (resized).png
    0ECA3FFC-A7A8-415B-B6AE-4224482F4A6C (resized).jpeg
    B2646F4A-502C-4144-88AA-6696C318E627 (resized).jpeg
    473FB65A-DDFE-4F00-BCD3-2942EF6E368A (resized).jpeg
    There are 479 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 3 years ago

*** NOTICE FROM PINSIDE MOD TEAM ***
    Multiple Pinsiders have reported issues getting their Pinball Basement orders shipped (or refunds issued).
    While Pinside never endorses or denounces companies, we would like to point this out. Please read through this forum thread to get more on the story and make up your own mind.
    *** END OF NOTICE ***

I am excited to announce the opening of my new pinball store, The Pinball Basement.

www.pinballbasement.com

Over the last five months, I've been working closely with PPS to bring unique products to the market that the community needs. The driving factor for selecting products to make available came down to what I was personally looking for. Items I wish you could buy, or items I was always looking for, or even items I feel like I'm the only person who would need this.

Using the original gerber files and films, I will be offering replacement Williams boards for most Williams Bally games.Everything from the power driver boards to the accessory playfield boards. Opto boards to eddy coils and everything in between.

If you are familiar with your games original boards, nothing has changed in regards to the circuits or sizing of components unless a part is unobtanium. The community has banded together for the past 30 years troubleshooting issues. If or when a problem arises, there is a wealth of information available on the topic. These boards will drop in and work as it's supposed to. No surprises do to changes in the design.

There is an insane list of products to come, new products will be added periodically and this topic will be updated to showcase what i’m working on.

Many boards are being brought back to life that have not been produced in over 25 years. Currently the store is debuting with 11 products, 21 more are in various stages of assembly/testing and eventually there will be many many more genuine williams replacement boards.

What makes these boards special?

These boards are drop-in replacements. No design changes have been made, this is the same board design and parts that were shipped with your game originally. The only difference is that these boards are brand new and made with modern printed circuit board technology.

A lot has changed in the past 30 years, circuit board manufacturing has come a long way. No longer will pads come up during repairs as easily as your original board. Each through hole connection is plated and constructed much tougher.

I hope to make an impact in the community by being a good resource for parts. Please bear with me as I update the site with better pictures and functionality.

Notes about inventory:

I am opening the store with a small inventory of parts to test the market and to help ramp up my stock.

New boards will be added as they become available and old boards will be restocked slowly at first, but plans are in motion to make sure all boards will be readily available.

About Me:

I have an engineering background with an emphasis in manufacturing and past experience working with circuit board testing and repair. I am big into extreme projects and love the challenge of finding parts and building parted games back up. I’ve been in the hobby since 2013 and have had so much fun in these years learning about the unique hobby that is pinball.

Genuine Williams and Bally Replacement Boards – Authorized by Planetary Pinball Supply, Inc, under License from Williams Electronics Games Inc, © 2020, All Rights Reserved
    Pinball Basement (1) (resized).pngPinball Basement (1) (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

117042975_10164054360840241_8401397548223505324_o (resized).jpg117042975_10164054360840241_8401397548223505324_o (resized).jpg

20200918_100622 (resized).jpg20200918_100622 (resized).jpg
    #3 3 years ago

For all boards, they will come with the correct bracket or mounting hardware.

Not everyone has the tools to rivet the boards they just bought.

I have Williams designed brackets for all my products.

20200918_123507 (resized).jpg20200918_123507 (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago
    20200918_110520 (resized).jpg20200918_110520 (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

Good luck sir! It's good to know there's another option out there, to help keep my classics alive and well. Congrats.

Message from the Freek Kingdom.

#6 3 years ago

Good to know my NBA Fastbreak is still supported!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Good to know my NBA Fastbreak is still supported!

Technically your remake as well since they use the same trough boards I think.

#9 3 years ago

For those of us who were around in the RGP days, watching the end of WMS pinball, parts drying up, IPB, cease & desist letters, etc.....causing many to leave the hobby (myself included)....to now see this type of co-operation, innovation, and entrepreneurship to help sustain and grow the hobby......BRAVO!!

#10 3 years ago

I am loving this! Great to see another take up from er, those other guys, especially as that shop is closing up

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

For those of us who were around in the RGP days, watching the end of WMS pinball, parts drying up, IPB, cease & desist letters, etc.....causing many to leave the hobby (myself included)....to now see this type of co-operation, innovation, and entrepreneurship to help sustain and grow the hobby......BRAVO!!

It's quite the undertaking. Williams had a couple hundred parts and I'm close to having a full inventory to support the 100+ boards in my library

20200918_122301 (resized).jpg20200918_122301 (resized).jpg20200918_122308 (resized).jpg20200918_122308 (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago

Did you raise/extend any legs to lessen the heat damage on the high voltage section of the WPC Dot Matrix DMD Controller boards?

#13 3 years ago

FANTASTIC NEWS!

#14 3 years ago

Looking forward to this!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Did you raise/extend any legs to lessen the heat damage on the high voltage section of the WPC Dot Matrix DMD Controller boards?

The current product for sale is 1 : 1 williams design. Any flaws with that design are still present. When I go back further and do the williams 3-7 driver boards, I will update that design and fuse the special solenoids as that is a safety issue.

I can possibly look into making a second version that would address this issue.

#16 3 years ago

The dmd boards are known for overheating, but i would expect a new board in home applications to do far better even if unmodified. Most people just dont leave their machines on long enough to do damage. Now, if you want to route the machine again in hot stinky bars, yes, the issues will eventually return.

#17 3 years ago

Congratulations on the opening of your new store!

#18 3 years ago

Congratulations Charlie ! Best wishes. And Thank You !
    LTG : )

#19 3 years ago

If the rumors are true that Rotten Dog closed up shop then this truly is a blessing for all!

#20 3 years ago

Product Number 12 has been added to the site:

A-22019 A-17223 A-16998 16 Opto Switch

Opto board comes preinstalled with the williams designed brackets for under playfield mounting.

20200918_181700 (resized).jpg20200918_181700 (resized).jpg
    #21 3 years ago

Congratulations! This is going to help so many people me included.

#22 3 years ago

What type of test fixture features would people like to see if I were to develop one for the main system boards?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

What type of test fixture features would people like to see if I were to develop one for the main system boards?

You might see if there is enough interest for Capcom.

#25 3 years ago

Pin2000 prism cards and daughter rom boards are some I couod use personally.

Congrats and I look forward to being a customer!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

The current product for sale is 1 : 1 williams design. Any flaws with that design are still present.

This one statement makes me a little worried about buying these boards. With all of the technical know how on Pinside and thousands of threads from discussing problems with the original board designs, questioning why they did what they did, I am not likely to buy original designs.

Now Charlie if you provided some explanation of when you do make changes and why it makes it better than the original, that may change my mind. With all of the board repairs I have done on my recent projects, I would rather look at something that fixes the problems rather than put the same back in.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy_D:

This one statement makes me a little worried about buying these boards. With all of the technical know how on Pinside and thousands of threads from discussing problems with the original board designs, questioning why they did what they did, I am not likely to buy original designs.

It's the fastest way to market. You can't beat something that is already laid out and works. There is some demand for these boards.

I reproduced my own System 11 CPU and WPC-89 power board (with improvements) and the first attempt of both of those failed (needed some minor corrections). I can't really provide those boards to people that are interested so I am sitting on boards that I "wasted" my money on. It took me months of work to get the first revisions of those board made and they still didn't work 100%.

#28 3 years ago

You are probably right.

I am sure anyone who designs circuit boards has stories to tell about all of the failures before they got it to work.

A shout out to all of those board designers (XPin, Rottendog, Alltek, Gulf, Pinball Basement, and everyone else) who keep this hobby going and never give up. Without you, our games would have died years ago! Keep it up!

#29 3 years ago

I haven't really explained my overall plan for my business, but a high level view is to start with what works. The boards that were shipped with the games work. They could be improved, no doubt about that.

As time allows my plan was to assess what could be changed with the designs and offer an alternate upgraded board that could be labeled a pinball basement design.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy_D:

Now Charlie if you provided some explanation of when you do make changes and why it makes it better than the original, that may change my mind. With all of the board repairs I have done on my recent projects, I would rather look at something that fixes the problems rather than put the same back in.

I for one would rather have a 1 to 1 original, even if it has flaws because of the known documentation and history of the original board. Let others make and sell their own "improved" designs and let buyers decide which they would rather have. Both are great for the hobby and should each have their own place in the market. Bravo.

#31 3 years ago

Congrats and thank you for your additions to the pinball community!

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You might see if there is enough interest for Capcom.

Capcom Trough opto boards would be amazing. I'd buy at least 3 sets.

Chris

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy_D:

he is not selling crap or a product that does not work. as long as the board works i am fine and it is another solution for us. There are tons of known issues with rottendog and gulf boards, so all the current alternatives are not perfect.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

he is not selling crap or a product that does not work. as long as the board works i am fine

Of course he wouldn't be selling crap. That is never anyone's intention putting stuff out to sell. What I said was...

Quoted from Bugsy_D:

I am sure anyone who designs circuit boards has stories to tell about all of the failures before they got it to work.

Earlier this year I picked up a DE Time Machine with a Gulf Power Supply. Didn't have any displays. I am sure the reason why is that the HV section on that PS was torched. The transistors were cracked along with a few other parts. I put an XPin display in it and the game is fine. What I am saying is that nobody's designs are perfect. The XPin display was a Revision C so it stands to reason that he had discoveries and needed to change things to prevent whatever had happened on previous revisions. Anybody who says their designs are perfect the way they are, I tend to run from. Crap happens.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy_D:

Look at all the problems people have with these so called "improved" designs. The original boards are still working 30-40 years later. Give me a 1 : 1 copy any day. Original boards have tons of documented fixes for any issue that comes up. Plus the ease of working on a through-hole pcb.

#36 3 years ago

Congrats, on the new venture. When redoing a game its always nice to make it original as possible in my opinion. Im not opposed to putting in a rottendog style aftermarket board but would much rather put something in that looks like it came from the factory.

Well done and look forward to doing business with ya.

#37 3 years ago

WPC-S CPU's are done and will be added to the site soon.

#38 3 years ago

Not at all exciting, but have these guys ready to go.

20200921_085434 (resized).jpg20200921_085434 (resized).jpg
    #39 3 years ago

Sweet products, Charlie. Best wishes on your new store.
    Wally

#40 3 years ago

This is great! I'm definitely going to invest in a few boards for backup/quick repair.

#41 3 years ago

Driver board sales are starting to pick up. Just a note that after this first batch is sold, there will be about a one month delay for more to come in and to be finished/assembled/tested.

#42 3 years ago

Took a break from my normal board to populate a NOS board blank from Williams.

This is the NGG Aux Driver

20200921_211935 (resized).jpg20200921_211935 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #43 3 years ago

Are you going to be making wpc89 cpus?

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Are you going to be making wpc89 cpus?

Yes!

First boards arrive Friday.

#45 3 years ago

Great initiative, I'm sure I will need boards from you in the future.

#46 3 years ago

Great to see. I am a purist as well and would rather spend 30 hours to fix an original board or have one to drop in. Thanks for doing this, I know it is out of love and not money as I am sure this was not easy.

#47 3 years ago

Do you have (or do you plan) on making the AV board for a TOTAN?

Thank you

#48 3 years ago

System 11's ?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Do you have (or do you plan) on making the AV board for a TOTAN?
    Thank you

I have five boards here I need to finish and test. They are almost done

#50 3 years ago

I'm the works, but not super soon.

There are 479 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-opening-of-the-pinball-basement-check-it-out?hl=number_runner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.