Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cichlid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-651.jpg
    image-738.jpg
    image-934.jpg
    image-855.jpg
    image-814.jpg
    image-679.jpg
    image-728.jpg
    image-962.jpg
    image-789.jpg
    image-598.jpg
    image-549.jpg
    image-260.jpg
    image-474.jpg
    image-16.jpg
    image-641.jpg
    image-571.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Just found out about this place. I believe the owner is the same one from Sharks Club, Howell. He took all his pins from the club and openened a new venue. I did visit the old place and he had 49 pins. Mostly all newer dmd's.

I'm gonna go check it out today. Just wanted to throw it out there to any other Michiganders that May not have been aware.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Awesome! Take some pics if you can please.

#3 10 years ago

Let us know if there are now 50 pins and 50 arcade/redemption games, or 100 pins etc.

#4 10 years ago

Will do guys. I'll take some pics and give a list of what all is there.

#5 10 years ago

If you happen to be on Facebook, you can check them out here:

https://www.facebook.com/thearcadebrighton

#6 10 years ago

checked this place out 2 weeks ago after i went to the shark club and relized there were no pins there lol! a work in progress at the time but i think its gonna work well in the future. plus i got some plays on a really nice creature so i was happy

#7 10 years ago

We'll, me and the wife went out to the grand opening and it was a lot of fun. Basically it looks like the owner at sharks bought a building and took all his pins and arcade games and put them there. The thing that's nice for me is that it's about 20 minutes closer to my house than the old place. .

The layout is pretty much one large room with a balcony area above. All the pins are on the lower level and arcade games above . I didn't count, but it looks to be 50 pins and 50 classic arcade games. I'm not much of a vid guy but I was happy to see pretty much all classic games. No redemption or any of the new games. I would say probably half the vids were not up and running when I was there. Kinda stinks for a grand opening but I don't fault them too much when every pin was working. And it looked like they still had some games that just arrived and hadn't found their homes yet. Condition looked good on the games but again, I'm not a vid guy so I couldn't tell you if they were using the wrong marquee, or control panel overlay. Once everything's up and running I'm looking forward to going through and playing all the vids.

As far as the pins go, it was pretty impressive. I've only been to the old venue once so I didn't get to play a lot of these games. The high end games were mint. MM, AFM, TZ, AF, CV were perfect and decked out with led's and color dmd's. All the pins were a doller a game. The older solid states were a quarter and I did find a few bonuses were White Water was supposed to be a doller and it was actually set to fifty cents per play.

We got there around three, so it was still pretty early and the place was filling up pretty quick. The only issue I had with the crowd was, trying to play white water and a few kids were on a T2 next to me. One was playing while the other was basically leaning up against my arm trying to watch his buddy play. The only thing that would have helped is if the games were farther apart and they really didn't have the room to do that.

The staff was nice and I found out they are starting a leauge in Jan. I already emailed about the leauge and I'm just waiting on a response. Overall the place is great! Unless your going to expo your not going to find this many great pins, all working and in fantastic shape. It's a good 40 min drive for me so it's not a place I can visit every weekend but I'm looking forward to playing some monthly leauge games and connecting with some other pinheads.

Here's some pics and a list of games. I'm not going to try and list all the vids. Just try to see what you can in the pics. Oh, and the last pic is my mediocre score on White Water that got me second place on the machine. We will see if it's still up there on the next visit.

Space invaders. El Dorado. Attack From Mars. Twilight Zone. Adams Family. Medevil Madness. White Water. Fish Tales. Dracula. Starship Troopers. Star Wars. Creature From the Black Lagoon. Star Wars The pinball 2000 one. Monster Bash. Circus Voltare. Family Guy. Terminator 2. Corvette. Star Trek. Star Trek, the next generation. Cleopatra. Lights Camera Action. Laser War. Time Machine. Nine Ball. Xenon. Whirlwind. World Cup Soccer. Frankenstein. Black Rose. Funhouse. Congo. No Fear. Royal Rumble. Tommy. Jurassic Park. Austin Powers. Indiana Jones. Tales from the Arabian nights. Scared Stiff. Theatre of Magic. Junkyard. Champion Pub. Pirates of the Carribean. Lord of the Rings. Iron Man. X Men. Avengers. Transformers. Batman. Spider man. Tron. Metallica. Ac/Dc. Wizard of Oz. The new Star Trek. I believe it's the LE.

I might have missed a few. There were a few em's, pitch and bat's ect....

image-869.jpgimage-869.jpg
    image-692.jpgimage-692.jpg
    image-657.jpgimage-657.jpg
    image-176.jpgimage-176.jpg
    image-562.jpgimage-562.jpg
    image-449.jpgimage-449.jpg
    image-867.jpgimage-867.jpg
    image-571.jpgimage-571.jpg
    image-69.jpgimage-69.jpg
    image-641.jpgimage-641.jpg
    image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg
    image-474.jpgimage-474.jpg
    image-260.jpgimage-260.jpg
    image-789.jpgimage-789.jpg
    image-549.jpgimage-549.jpg
    image-598.jpgimage-598.jpg
    image-728.jpgimage-728.jpg
    image-962.jpgimage-962.jpg
    image-679.jpgimage-679.jpg
    image-814.jpgimage-814.jpg
    image-855.jpgimage-855.jpg
    image-934.jpgimage-934.jpg
    image-738.jpgimage-738.jpg
    image-651.jpgimage-651.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for posting. The Shark Club's games were always in great condition but the restaurant/bar just never seemed to have anyone in it. Hopefully the new location takes off & this is around for many years to come.

#9 10 years ago

This is a must see for the entire family. Only problem i had was Micheal Jackson on the jukebox, multiple times....... Dam you Bobby

#10 10 years ago

Pretty interesting venue. New carpet, place had a flood a year ago and the Sharky's owner got new carpet. The mezzanine thing i personally did not care for. We had that at Tilt Town a few years ago. In theory it's a nice thing, but hard to keep the temperature constant in the place. For example it was way too hot upstair, not bearable for me. Downstairs was fine just right. he had ceiling fans running but this is the nature of the beast with a mezzanine. Also since all the pinballs are under the mezzanine, there's not a great vantage point (which was a cool feature of Tilt Town, for the short year that place was open, with it's crazy mezzanine.) Thankfully it's all videos upstairs so i don't venture to play them much. (It was a constant drag to work on games in the mezzanine though, another reason i would never do it again.)

Most WPC games had credit dots but seemed to be working OK otherwise. No EMs to speak of. I asked Mike, the owner, about this. He says he really wants to keep all new games and doesn't want EMs. His experience is to buy really nice recent games, and then he has less technical issues. I can understand that, fixing games is always a headache when you have 50+ in a room. His row of new Sterns was most impressive, all LEs, which means he has no problem spending the money. All the WPCs (heck most older games too) seemed to have LEDs. Personally i'm not a fan of this. It just gives me a headache.

All 1990s and newer games were $1 a play and older SS games were 50 cents that i saw. This is a very good strategy as you're not "giving away" plays. 50 cents or lower for pinball is too cheap. If it was priced lower the increase in plays goes up dramatically, which puts a lot more wear and tear on the games. Then you fall into a Pinball Hall of Fame problem where there's too many broken/worn machines and not enough techs/time to fix them. So people may bitch that $1/play is too much, but i think everyone should get used to that. Anything less is just too cheap, especially when new games are $5000 to $8000.

Mike seemed very positive about the new place. He didn't buy it, by the way, it's leased. He couldn't come to terms with Rocky the owner. I asked if we could bring beer inside (there's a party store right next door) and he said no, they would need a license to allow that. Mike isn't a fan of alcohol, he says it just causes problems. He also wants a family friendly environment, and his feeling is beer doesn't help that. He did say that if the bills aren't getting met with the current strategy he would consider a beer/wine license. But that's a last resort, he wants to run without any alcohol. His feeling is this will be a good family/teen hang out, something that is missing from the area. It will be interesting to see if this has "legs" and works for him. Obviously the Sharks Club model didn't work, so he moved 20 miles east (wise) and changed philosophy to a non-alcohol venue. Now mike has a fair amount of alcohol experience, as the Sharks club is the largest bar in the county. Mike hates having to deal with alcohol and the problems that come with it. I guess i can't blame him. But he swung the pendulum from one extreme to the other. Not sure that will work, time will tell.

Though cool i'm still favoring the VFW much more (it's only 5 miles from mike's arcade.) Just has a better feel (though obviously i'm biased) and way more pinball games (appoaching 200, from the 1950s to present.) But it's not public so you can't just walk in, you have to know someone or be a kickstarter contributor. Also has a 24 foot bar with diet coke and diet mt.dew on tap, and is probably twice the size of mike's place (and on 10 acres.)

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Then you fall into a Pinball Hall of Fame problem where there's too many broken/worn machines and not enough techs/time to fix them. So people may bitch that $1/play is too much, but i think everyone should get used to that. Anything less is just too cheap, especially when new games are $5000 to $8000.

This is my biggest problem with the PHOF. Seems Tim would rather focus on running the place on the ultra super cheap, so he can donate more money to the Salvation Army. When I was there last, about a third of the games were broken/unplayable and I would have loved to play several of them. The irony in that is If he would just spend a little more money to maintain the games, those broken games would make him more money to donate.

#12 10 years ago

Spent the evening there on Saturday, December 28th. I was very impressed with the pinball selection as I was at the Sharks. They are a little close together which makes it tough to play with popular ones packed together, this could be fixed with mixing the games a little with the less popular games splitting up the popular ones. I am not a big video guy, but seeing some of the old classics upstairs was fun and I would definately drop a few quarters up there to mix it up. I think some sort of food is going to be a must. One real nice perk at the Sharks was the great food to break up a few hours of gaming. I know you couldn't have that kind of service and selection there, but I think something will have accomodate those that want to eat besides the party store next door. A big thumbs up to anyone who has the drive and means to keep the arcade vision alive! Great job Mike!

#13 10 years ago

I checked out "The Arcade" and thought I'd report back.

Video games were upstairs and pins downstairs.

The place was good sized and looks like there is plenty of room for more pins. Parking was good.

Temperature was good throughout the place, I never had to remove my jacket.

I did not think I'd play too many video games, but it was actually great fun playing the classics again. It was even more fun playing without being engulfed in all the smoke of the arcades of yesteryear. The air smelled of warm electronics.

All the pins looked in great condition. I did not notice any problems during play.

The older games had a new lease on life with the LED lighting, and looked very good. Even normally very dark games looked nicely lit (except WOZ, which was still quite dark).

Only a few games looked like a clown puked on them with with color (I think SM was the big offender here).

I was babysitting my two teen nieces and it was great to just let them run loose without the worry of them getting older guys to buy them alcohol as they normally do.

This looks like a nice place to take the family - super cool of Mike to have this open to the public !!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-opening-of-brighton-mi-arcade-100-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.