IMAG0075 (resized).jpg
New top playfield.jpg
old top playfield.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
Image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pauz21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted this in a Grand Lizard thread a while ago but thought I'd throw it in the restoration forum in the event it can help someone else.

I had a beat up Lizard and decided I wanted my upper playfield back. Not wanting to spend a fortune on a machine not worth the dollars and not having the know how or ability to repaint and clear a play field I decided to try to develop a decal for the upper playfield.

Unfortunately there are virtually no high res photos of a lizard in great shape on the internet. So using some pics I had of mine... some pics I've found of others and photoshop I worked with a local sign shop for about 2 months to develop a decal that while it's not an exact copy of the original it's a close facsimile.

I posted it in a GL thread and ended up garnering some interest from a couple of other owners.

I thought if it could help someone else I'd throw it up. Know that it is not perfect... and you need to cut it to fit your play field.

But if you're interested I can get more printed. Cost me about $70 shipped in a poster tube. (Gotta love the Canada Post Screw Job).

So if you're interested let me know and I can order some more.

Pics are attached including a pic of what my machine looked like right before I put the decal on.IMG_0244.jpgIMG_0244.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMG_0241.jpgIMG_0241.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0240.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpg

Post edited by Pauz21: Editted the price… thanks for that Canada Post.

#2 10 years ago

Not sure why some of these pics came up more than once.

8 months later
#9 9 years ago

I've answered the PM's. Hope I'm able to help.

3 months later
#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Are these still available? I might have a line on a Grand Lizard & I'm told the upper playfield is pretty beat up.

Yes with Disclaimer.

I usually end up PM'ing all who show interest a mile long PM explain all it's short comings. I don't promote them but if someone asks, yes I'll get more printed.

Basically... I made this for my machine. Was working with a sign shop and could never get it perfect... but got to the point where I was done paying them and wanted it done. So I accepted the fact it was FAR from perfect and put it on my machine. Posted pics on here and I've sold several since. But, selling them wasn't the reason I did it so I've never bothered trying to invest money and time perfecting it.

You need to know:
- It's not a perfect color match.
- Some of it's grainy.
- The rocks in the background are basically original art since we couldn't find high def pictures of the pin in great shape. So it was created in photo shop and using some parts of another pinsiders original painted upper playfield.
- It comes on one solid piece of laminated vinyl so you need to spend the time very carefully cutting it to size and cutting out the inserts. One insert, I was never able to line up correctly so I just marked a pilot hole to cut out, then cut the insert cleaner after install.
- It's a sticker. It's not a restore. This isn't raising the value of your pin. It's making it play cleaner and faster.
- I do include a color paper version of the decal so you can cut a guide before cutting the actual decal, and I include a set of drop target decals attached on the side.

I post all this to be clear and honest to avoid disappointment. I've sold lots... never kept count but I'd guess at least 10-20 of them and only had one person cause me grief of the color not matching even though I told them it didn't and send pictures pointing it out. It's not a business venture so I don't offer a refund at my cost. I try to be honest so the buyer can make an educated decision. And at $70, I'm basically paying the sign shop and shipping.

#14 9 years ago

No problem Butch. I'll be glad if I can help.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from NardDog:

Got mine installed!
Before (well, it really wasn't this bad... this was after I stripped away the blackout job that someone had done over the worn playfield):

After:

Thoughts on the installation / lessons learned (most of this is just common sense but it worked well for me so I thought I would share:
1. Remove the flippers first before you start stripping parts and have loose bits all over the playfield (lesson learned). The DO need to be removed as the decal goes underneath.
2. Use the paper template & cut out the inserts first and then use the inserts to ensure that your template is perfectly aligned with the playfield for trimming the outer edges
3. For the straight edges in front of the drop target banks, don't bother measuring... knock down the targets and then lay down the overlay above them and just zip your hobby knife between the targets and the front edge for a nice clean cut
4. For the circular inserts, I used mechanic's sockets placed over them as a guide for my hobby knife
5. For the cutting the curve for the chute up to the multiball release target, use the colored plastic above as a guide, it's the same shape
6. For the edges of the decals going into various chutes, cut an irregular pattern so it won't be so obvious at the transition between the new decal and original art (lesson learned)
Can't think of much else, it wasn't that difficult of a project. I was considering buying a sheet of mylar and installing this over the new overlay, but I think I'll just watch for signs of wear for now. Hopefully it will hold us well just with keeping the playfield clean and using the high quality mirror balls.

old top playfield.jpg 129 KB

New top playfield.jpg 196 KB

Looks good man... If I understand you correctly... the lesson learned part is the top left where you can see part of the old pattern entering the orbit. Yes... I made the same mistake on the original should leave the black around the second insert. Other than that one small thing it looks like you did a great job. And the sockets for cutting out the inserts tip... brilliant! Never thought of that. Glad I could help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pauz21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-upper-playfield-decal?tu=pauz21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.