(Topic ID: 248416)

Grand Lizard System 11 High Voltage fuse blows on power up

By RC_like_the_cola

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Good afternoon folks. Looking for a direction to go here. The High Voltage fuse blows on power up in my Grand Lizard. When I got the game, there were 2 displays that had new glass and all worked. The new glass was in the right hand side Alpha Numeric and the Ball/Credit display. This fuse issue happened right after I used regular clear silicone to adhere the glass to the circuit board of the 2 displays that had new glass. Whomever replaced them did not do that part. I can't imagine what may have happened with the silicone, but I unplugged the 2 suspect displays and put in a new fuse and it still pops upon power up. Everything was totally fine prior to the silicone. I guess I'll use a razor blade and separate the glass from the circuit boards and see what's up. Any ideas, in the meantime?

Thanks,
RC

#2 4 years ago

personally I would just get rid of the glass display and replace it with a led.
and eliminate the High Voltage all together.
those old displays won't last for ever.

#3 4 years ago

I can see that at some point if they don't work, but they were all 5 fully working when i got the game. I don't like to replace things that work (although they aren't right now, hence this post lol).

#4 4 years ago

Followed the advice in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-system-9-11-power-supply#post-3139938

The F1 fuse still blows even with connector 3J5 removed so, I'm guessing that means I need to rebuild my HV section on this PS. I have installed new caps already.

Anyone know of a good place for a kit? GPE seems to be out of stock and I don't find any ready to go kits with a quick google.

Thanks,
RC

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Followed the advice in this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-system-9-11-power-supply#post-3139938
The F1 fuse still blows even with connector 3J5 removed so, I'm guessing that means I need to rebuild my HV section on this PS. I have installed new caps already.
Anyone know of a good place for a kit? GPE seems to be out of stock and I don't find any ready to go kits with a quick google.
Thanks,
RC

Marco and Troxel both have the parts.

MJE1503 Transistor (it will different pinouts then the one you have.
2N5401Transistor, PNP (Replaces MPSD52)
MJE15031 Transistor, PNP (it will also have different pinouts then the one you have)
2N5551Transistor, NPN (Replaces MPSD02)
1N4730A Zener Diode, 3.9 Volt (Replaces 1N5990) ZR1, ZR3 so you'll need 2.
1N4763A Zener Diode, 91 Volt (Replaces 1N4764) ZR2, ZR4. 2 again
1N4004 Rectifier, 400V, 1A D3, D4. Get 2!
RMOS2-39K Resistor, 39K, 2 Watt (Replaces 39K, 1⁄2 or 1 Watt) R1, R4 (Get 2)
680, 1⁄2 Watt Resistor.
RCF1/2-330K Resistor, 330K, 1⁄2 Watt R3, R6 You'll need 2.
This will lower the voltage to the displays a bit (assuming you still have the original gas displays) and replace parts that are simply old.

///Rich

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Marco and Troxel both have the parts.
MJE1503 Transistor (it will different pinouts then the one you have.
2N5401Transistor, PNP (Replaces MPSD52)
MJE15031 Transistor, PNP (it will also have different pinouts then the one you have)
2N5551Transistor, NPN (Replaces MPSD02)
1N4730A Zener Diode, 3.9 Volt (Replaces 1N5990) ZR1, ZR3 so you'll need 2.
1N4763A Zener Diode, 91 Volt (Replaces 1N4764) ZR2, ZR4. 2 again
1N4004 Rectifier, 400V, 1A D3, D4. Get 2!
RMOS2-39K Resistor, 39K, 2 Watt (Replaces 39K, 1⁄2 or 1 Watt) R1, R4 (Get 2)
680, 1⁄2 Watt Resistor.
RCF1/2-330K Resistor, 330K, 1⁄2 Watt R3, R6 You'll need 2.
This will lower the voltage to the displays a bit (assuming you still have the original gas displays) and replace parts that are simply old.
///Rich

Thanks Rich. What do you mean by different pinouts? Will I have to cross transistor legs or something when I install them?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the info on that. I do have to cross the legs. I'll get these ordered.

#7 4 years ago

Ordered everything from Marco and will update this thread once I rebuild the HV section.

#8 4 years ago

HV rebuild brought everything back. Guess it was a coincidence that the HV crapped out right after I used the silicone on those displays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-system-11-high-voltage-fuse-blows-on-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.