• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GL (resized).PNG
Untitled (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just "stole" an above average overall condition 1986 Grand Lizard for $100.00. Guy wanted it gone. Only glaring issue is that the solenoids are not firing.

I have not yet done any in-depth troubleshooting except for checking fuses. But I just wanted to see if anyone knew where to start right off of the top of their head. So when the machine is turned on, the balls wont kick from the drain. I ran the solenoid tests, and all are dead EXCEPT for the knocker. So in short - the knocker does indeed fire, but none of the other various solenoids.

Ideas?
Thanks

#2 4 years ago

The game is toast. But because I am a generous person I will give you $100 for the useless piece of junk so you don't have to take a loss.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. Your my hero.

Okay i have determined that the flipper solenoids do work as they should.

I also measured the power to the outhole solenoid. I am measuring 17vdc on both of the wires for that coil with meters black wire going to ground in the head. I was assuming that one wire was a floating ground. Does this indicate an issue with the transistor?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Just "stole" an above average overall condition 1986 Grand Lizard for $100.00. Guy wanted it gone. Only glaring issue is that the solenoids are not firing.
I have not yet done any in-depth troubleshooting except for checking fuses. But I just wanted to see if anyone knew where to start right off of the top of their head. So when the machine is turned on, the balls wont kick from the drain. I ran the solenoid tests, and all are dead EXCEPT for the knocker. So in short - the knocker does indeed fire, but none of the other various solenoids.
Ideas?
Thanks

Wow!!! 100bucks??? Great game and congrats my friend.Alright first thing to do is bring out the multimeter and start testing fuses in the backbox.Pull the fuses out and test them.Did game come with manual?it will be handy plus make sure those are the correct fuses installed because many times people who are not in the hobby tend to install any fuse just laying around

#5 4 years ago

I guess there is a true Santa Claus

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Does this indicate an issue with the transistor?

Bad fuse on the power supply or a bad bridge rectifier for the B+ power.

#7 4 years ago

Okay I looked at the power supply. It has +12v, -12v and 5v as expected. All fuses look good. Still no solenoids for outhole, slings and drop target banks. Does this indicate that the PS is good? Anything else I need to check?

Flippers and knocker do work properly.

Grumpy,
What do you mean by b+ power?
Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Grumpy,
What do you mean by b+ power?

B+ power is what powers the solenoids and flashers. Check these pins for @ 34 volts DC.

GL (resized).PNGGL (resized).PNG
#9 4 years ago

Okay. I am getting 29V on those pins. Would that be normal, or a bit too low?

#10 4 years ago

You suck! I think I paid $600 for my GL and it blows the solenoid fuse plus a host of other problems. I even bought a parts machine and had the MPU board repaired/tested and I still can't get it to work.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Would that be normal, or a bit too low

That's fine.

Quoted from wrd1972:

Still no solenoids for outhole, slings and drop target banks.

Check the coils for power.

#12 4 years ago

Finally some progress. Im not getting positive voltage to the coils from 3J3 on the powers supply. I ran a jumper from the 29V on 3J3 to the outhole coil, and it fired. Must be a disconnection under the PF. Taking a look now.

#13 4 years ago

Check the molex connector under the play field.

#14 4 years ago

check the connectors between the cab and backbox. I believe this still had connectors there. Also check for a fuse under the playfield.

#15 4 years ago

Also coils are daisy chain connected together. So check their assoc. wiring.

#16 4 years ago

Success! Solenoids are now all working. The solenoids power wire at the large black plastic connector between the head and the PF, was severed. Looks like someone had a wire nut holding it together previously. Well it was not connected and therefore, no power to the solenoids.

There was just enough bare wire sticking out of the large black plastic connector to perform the proper repair. Now we are all good.

Thanks guys for the assistance.

#17 4 years ago

Playball!!

#18 4 years ago

Ha. Good job. That was my first thought.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-solenoids-not-fring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.