Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1809.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello!

I recently aquired a Grand Lizard (1986) pinball, in working condition, except that there is no music (the bongodrums) and the 2 lower displays seems to be dead, atleast they never show anything.

Ive fixed alot of minor faults like a slow paddle, fixed up the game board, removed a couple of kg's of glass from the system (seems to have been a glass accident before my ownership) repainted the outside of the cab, changed a lot of lights to LED and general cleaning.

You have any tips or hints on where to look for the music error? i have located the U23 chip (pic included), which controls the music, but i am no expert in soldering or electronics, so i really dont dare to do anything myself in these areas without knowing where to start.

http://i.imgur.com/0t8K0s1.jpg

Help me Obi-wan Kenobis, you guys are my only hope.

#2 8 years ago

I would recommend to try replacing the ribbon cables from the MPU to sound board and MPU to display system first. A vast majority of these types of problems are caused by flaky cables, believe it or not. Then if it is not the problem, at least you'll have a known good reliable cable in the system and the original as a spare.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I would recommend to try replacing the ribbon cables from the MPU to sound board and MPU to display system first. A vast majority of these types of problems are caused by flaky cables, believe it or not. Then if it is not the problem, at least you'll have a known good reliable cable in the system and the original as a spare.

Hmm, do they have any special names when made for pinballs or is it just ordinary computer ribbon cables?

#4 8 years ago

There is nothing "special" about them, just make sure the computer cable you sub is standard pin arrangement and nothing weird like a crossover. Make sure the pin 1 is indicated by stripe or mark it yourself before installing.

#5 8 years ago

Alright, ordered 4 such cables now, prob arrive the coming week.

#6 8 years ago

I found out another thing yesterday, one of the long chips ont he soundboard get very hot, feels almost like melting degrees.

0It is on the U5 placement on the soundboard and the chip is named HD68B09EP, but according to the manual the chip that is supposed to sit there is should be named MC68B09E, can that be the reason for the missing music?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I found out another thing yesterday, one of the long chips ont he soundboard get very hot, feels almost like melting degrees.

This is almost never good.

Quoted from Luzur:

0It is on the U5 placement on the soundboard and the chip is named HD68B09EP, but according to the manual the chip that is supposed to sit there is should be named MC68B09E, can that be the reason for the missing music?

Shouldn't be a peroblem, the original is Motorola, and looks like the HD prefix number is a Hitachi replacement. However, if it is getting smoking hot that's probably not a good sign. Marco Specialties has the Motorola part if you'd like to try it:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6809E

#8 8 years ago

Marco's background soundboard, why does it come with ROAD KINGS sound preinstalled?

#9 8 years ago

Might be a typo. Could try contacting them directly. These are www.pinballpcb.com boards, and on the wwwpinballpcb.com website are listed as $75 with a pull down box to specify which ROMs you want. I've never ordered from them, but you could also try ordering it direct from them and you might even save a couple bucks.
http://www.pinballpcb.com/Sys11BackgroundSound.htm

#10 8 years ago

Dammit, i looked around on most soundboard prices and they seemed to be the same, but i missed that one, i already ordered from marco, but i sent an email asking about the Road Kings deal with the soundcard.

Thanks anyway for the link!

#11 8 years ago

OK, something very strange have just happened to my GL, i noticed a loose resistor on the lower left flipper, so i soldered it back on again, and after i started the game up again the lower left, upper left and upper right flippers didnt respond, at all, the lower right worked just fine.

So i was like "WTF?!" opened the game up, unsoldered the resistor again, and well, both right flippers work again nicely, but upper left dont do nothing and the lower left works, kinda but is very, very weak.

What did i just do by soldering that single resistor and how can i fix it?!

IMG_1781.jpgIMG_1781.jpg

#12 8 years ago

That is a diode, not a resistor, and it does belong there. You may have disturbed that grubby wiring on this coil, or perhaps the other power feed and the other flippers. All that wiring is poor and needs to be redone correctly. The diodes should be checked, and those EOS switches need at least a cleaning, if not complete replacement by the looks of it. You need to have healthy powerful flippers.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#flip0
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#13 8 years ago

Hey bud. Congrats on the GL! I'm a new owner also and have been playing it and fixing it in combo. It is very addictive!
So similar to yours except yours has nicer playfield I think.

When I got mine home I noticed right away I had no displays and no bongo drums too. I bought it on the street corner as "working". .. I have all background target sound effects though which I'm happy about.

So after realizing I had a stitched together pin bot powersupply board and it was beyond what I wanted to spend time on I bought a new xpin power supply board - just like I did with my other game SS. It is a great product and I'm a firm believer in having a rock solid powesupply on these older timer machines...

I did check the pinbot board high voltage side and got 93v +\- so it seemed all good. But I ordered the replacement board anyways. Sooooo I put new board in and presto all displays work perfectly!! Still no bongos though...so only 1/2 way there.

Just thought I' d let you know my partial success. Your thread is perfect timing, so I will be following closely. Going to check my U5 chip temp. I have combed all old threads on no background music on GL and high speed because they had the same music board and more HS made...lots of info but nothing definitive. Wish I had a reversed cable, but no..tried that! oh well. Hope we get it sorted out and you get your flippers fixed.

#14 8 years ago

It is a two-stage flipper button right? Light pressure activates lower flippers only. So I bet you have a) grubby wiring to clean as mentioned and also b) all flipper button switch blade contacts that needs a good de grubbing and light flex stone. Bet that does the trick.

#15 8 years ago

Well, im not even close to a professional solderer, that should be told, i just warmed up the soldering that was already there and made sure the diode (thanks wayout, im not a electrician either ) got stuck properly, so maybe that warmup disturbed the other cable on that pin too, will check.

And ive have now opened up and checked all 4 flippers:

Plungers all looked fine, no mushrooming.

Return springs seemed nice and springy (except one on the lower right that felt abit loose, but that flipper works just fine so i'll just make a replacement note of it for the moment) and none broken.

All EOS i have cleaned off and filed with a file very carefully, gaps are untouched and should be as they where.

Coil stops all looked almost new, except for some grime (someone seemed to have put lube on the plungers at one time, which i know is a big NO-NO, cleaned that stuff off from all 4).

Coil sleeves where just dirty so i cleaned them out, made them look like brand new.

And i also switched out 5 of the flat cables from the soundboard and the display board, but both lower displays are still dead, and switching cables didnt help with the music either, but i bought that replacement Grand Lizard soundboard from Marco's which is in shipping as we speak (damn shipping cost a fortune though, does US customs hide leadbars in the package or something??)

And ive also noticed that the two upper displays have begun to slightly flicker and the right one ghosts abit on the first number, are they dying?

And, well, if im supposed to fix all that grubby wiring, i'll might aswell start saving away cash for a completely new gamefield since ALL the wiring looks the same, which is why i am very VERY apprehensive to touch anything too hard when working around on the underside.

Quoted from BCpinhead:

It is a two-stage flipper button right? Light pressure activates lower flippers only. So I bet you have a) grubby wiring to clean as mentioned and also b) all flipper button switch blade contacts that needs a good de grubbing and light flex stone. Bet that does the trick.

Yeah, the old kind, and i filed and cleaned those too, and cables looks fine as far as i can see.

#16 8 years ago

Well, this is why there are games that are clean and usually come with a warranty for service, and then there are used games that are in need of much attention. Most people can learn some basic pinball repair, the thing that is most needed is some patience and some education. If you just want to quickly fix and play a game, that's not likely going to happen. Most of the time even us who have the electronics training will find a used game needs a lot of things fixed to work properly and reliably...and even if you have the training, you need to know how the game system you have operates, and not all are the same.

The most important things you can do right now if you want to fix these games yourself is
A) READ. Read the repair docs. Read pinball tech articles. Read everything related to pinball repair.
B) Learn to solder. Practice to solder. Correctly.
C) Learn how to use a DMM

OK, that said, let's take one problem at a time. You still have a game with some flipper problems, correct? --- where's it stand now? Exactly the same? Describe to us what is happening with each flipper at this point in time since you did all that mechanical work.

#17 8 years ago

I can do even better then describing with text:

https://vid.me/f0ua

Anyway, i managed to fix 3 of the flippers now, lower right, upper right and upper elft kicks like mules now, only the lower left one is behaving like a soft sponge more then a real manly man's flipper.

and as shown the displays seems to me to be degrading each day, it was better off yesterday, and i havent touched anything else the flipper mechanics and resoldering those cables, so it cant be something ive done recently.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Anyway, as you can see i managed to fix 3 of the flippers now, lower right, upper right and upper elft kicks like mules now, only the lower left one is behaving like a soft sponge more then a real manly man's flipper.

Have you tried adjusting the gap so that it just opens at the end of stroke. Probably 90% of the time on EOS-based flipper systems, weak flipper is caused by either EOS contacts dirty or opening just a little too soon.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Have you tried adjusting the gap so that it just opens at the end of stroke. Probably 90% of the time on EOS-based flipper systems, weak flipper is caused by either EOS contacts dirty or opening just a little too soon.

Well, i was suspecting that too, since when i peeked on the underside (while it was operating) i saw the left flipper EOS (the one where the flipperbutton hits) and it was giving off small sparks, which the right one (which works perfect now) didnt do.

Bad contact connection, mayhaps?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Well, i was suspecting that too, since when i peeked on the underside (while it was operating) i saw the left flipper EOS (the one where the flipperbutton hits) and it was giving off small sparks, which the right one (which works perfect now) didnt do.
Bad contact connection, mayhaps?

Usually excessive sparking is an indication of heavy pitting, oxidation, corrosion. Properly filing clean can sometime resolve, but if a contact is not able to be cleaned and filed correctly so that the contacts mate completely, it may be time to replace it.

#21 8 years ago

Well, i filed the flipperbutton EOS (both sides) and the EOS on the gamefield, and the sparking stopped now, but still the lower left flipper is slapping the ball as strong as spaghetti, next up im gonna try and resolder (my friend brought over his much better, adjustable solder equipment) all the contacts on the flipper, otherwise im suspecting i need to order a complete flipper rebuild kit.

But on a brighter note, my Grand Lizard Fix-up kit from PCX arrived today, along with an original GL manual (and bonus: printed preliminary manual too) i got from Ebay, so im busy right now exchanging rubbers and whatnot.

#22 8 years ago

I noticed something when soldering around the lower left flipper, the EOS switch doesnt come together tightly, there is a approx a 1 millimeter gap between the two contacts, could that be the problem?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I noticed something when soldering around the lower left flipper, the EOS switch doesnt come together tightly, there is a approx a 1 millimeter gap between the two contacts, could that be the problem?

Absolutely. Your EOS contacts need to be clean and touching each other firmly to transfer the current, which translates to *POWER*, to your flipper coils. Usually,removing these switches so they can be bent properly is the way to improve the pressure of the contacts.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Absolutely. Your EOS contacts need to be clean and touching each other firmly to transfer the current, which translates to *POWER*, to your flipper coils. Usually,removing these switches so they can be bent properly is the way to improve the pressure of the contacts.

OK, i'll take it apart tomorrow and check, its kinda late and ive been standing around staring at rubbers, screws and solderpoints for the last hour.

any tips for taking apart an EOS?

EDIT: i took it apart anyway and adjusted it, wanted to test your advice, and now the EOS switch pinch together nicely again, and the lower left flipper now feel strong, BUT only if pressed half way so it only activates the first contact, if pressed fully so it activates both right flippers (upper and lower) the lower flipper loose its strength right away, while the upper right flipper still kicks like a mule.

#25 8 years ago

Did you measure the coil resistance? Maybe it is clapped out? Just a thought.

#26 8 years ago

Pretty sure i located the problem now, the copper blade in the EOS switch beside the lower left flipper (i checked the EOS switch down by the button last night) was almost broken off, it wasnt noticeable until you got close with a bright light and touched it, atleast i didnt notice anything before when i cleaned it off with that scrubbing tool for pinball EOS i bought.

IMG_1786.jpgIMG_1786.jpg

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Pretty sure i located the problem now, the copper blade in the EOS switch beside the lower left flipper (i checked the EOS switch down by the button last night) was almost broken off, it wasnt noticeable until you got close with a bright light and touched it.

Glad you found it. BTW, the switch down by the button would be call a "flipper cabinet switch", not EOS. EOS (End-Of-Stroke) is used to switch the coils to hold voltage at the maximum flipper extension, and is found on the flipper mechanism. Just for future reference.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Glad you found it. BTW, the switch down by the button would be call a "flipper cabinet switch", not EOS. EOS (End-Of-Stroke) is used to switch the coils to hold voltage at the maximum flipper extension, and is found on the flipper mechanism. Just for future reference.

Right, thanks

#29 8 years ago

Right on! That is a great find...nice straightforward fix. I'll be very interested to see how your new sound board goes when it arrives.

#30 8 years ago

I'm looking at the first photo you linked in post 1 and I cannot be sure but your power supply caps look original. The two parallel black ones as I understand it they do get old and need replacement., I think your display problems might be related to the power supply as mentioned above.

Also, my sound board looks exact like yours ...meaning the big cap in the middle of the board looks burnt or at least stained from heat coming from the bank of ceramic resistors below on the CPU board. I'm guessing decades of heat exposure like this affects the chips and cap on the sound board. I may try to replace this cap and see if any solution here. More troubleshooting this weekend.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Right on! That is a great find...nice straightforward fix. I'll be very interested to see how your new sound board goes when it arrives.

Yeah, me too

Quoted from BCpinhead:

I'm looking at the first photo you linked in post 1 and I cannot be sure but your power supply caps look original. The two parallel black ones as I understand it they do get old and need replacement., I think your display problems might be related to the power supply as mentioned above.
Also, my sound board looks exact like yours ...meaning the big cap in the middle of the board looks burnt or at least stained from heat coming from the bank of ceramic resistors below on the CPU board. I'm guessing decades of heat exposure like this affects the chips and cap on the sound board. I may try to replace this cap and see if any solution here. More troubleshooting this weekend.

I have no idea about the powerboard, could have been switched out sometime before my ownership *shrugs*, this pinball had supposedly been in storage a couple of years before i traded my Hang-On for it, also, the two smaller displays on mine GL have a big burn mark across the wires inside the glass, so i am kinda certain that part of the display system is dead, also the recent ghosting and flickering as seen in the video, so im still thinking about getting a full replacement.

And yeah, i cleaned off alot of soot from my soundboard and checked the ceramics on the CPU board, they seemed fine and whole, dunno if anything can be done about them really, like exchanging them all for something that doesnt get hot?

Ordered 2 new EOS switches now, hopefully they will arrive beginning next week.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I have no idea about the powerboard

Well, it's health should be examined with a DMM (or oscilloscope). Basically, you want a tight tolerance of the 5VDC with very low AC ripple. Filter caps can dry out. Typically, if they haven't been replaced in 10 years, they are cheap enough to just replace. Good stable power means you are much less likely to be playing along and then *surprise!* something weird happens, like the game suddenly reboots.
Nobody wants that in the middle of shooting their best game.

Quoted from Luzur:

part of the display system is dead, also the recent ghosting and flickering as seen in the video, so im still thinking about getting a full replacement.

Look into one of the digital type systems eg. Pinscore, Rottendog, Xpin Lots of benefits as to longevity and low power consumption.

Quoted from Luzur:

ceramics on the CPU board, they seemed fine and whole, dunno if anything can be done about them really, like exchanging them all for something that doesnt get hot?

Cereamics? Possibly you mean cement power resistors. They get hot because- well, that's what they are supposed to do: dissipate power as heat.

#33 8 years ago

Ceramic, cement, yes those ones. I know they are supposed to get hot. But what is the heat effect on other components right above them over years of use? As you can tell I'm not an expert and just learning the terminology. Good thing you're along with us WO to keep us on track thanks!

I was certainly eyeing those replacement display kits too, but in this case fluked out with my new power supply board. Ymmv of course.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well, it's health should be examined with a DMM (or oscilloscope). Basically, you want a tight tolerance of the 5VDC with very low AC ripple. Filter caps can dry out. Typically, if they haven't been replaced in 10 years, they are cheap enough to just replace. Good stable power means you are much less likely to be playing along and then *surprise!* something weird happens, like the game suddenly reboots.
Nobody wants that in the middle of shooting their best game.

Its in the plans for a check-up, but its gotta be abit ...in the future atm.

Quoted from wayout440:

Look into one of the digital type systems eg. Pinscore, Rottendog, Xpin Lots of benefits as to longevity and low power consumption.

http://www.free-play.se/produkter/displayer/xpin-led-displays/led-display-xp-wms10877-for-williams-data-east-spel-gron.html

It will be one of these, also, yet again, have to wait to buy one of those, abit pricey for me atm

Quoted from wayout440:

Cereamics? Possibly you mean cement power resistors. They get hot because- well, that's what they are supposed to do: dissipate power as heat.

Yeah, one of those, sit in rows on the CPU and other places.

Keep in mind that i am total newbie on pinballs and pinball periferals, had it been muskets it would have been much easier but electronics...

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Ceramic, cement, yes those ones. I know they are supposed to get hot. But what is the heat effect on other components right above them over years of use?

Pinballs were lucky to be designed for little maintenance within approximately a <10 year life span. When you are talking about >30 years...that can have it's share of problems.
As long as certain things are running, they can often run well beyond the rated lifespan. Typically, electrolytic capacitors start to dry out. Mechanical parts wear out from friction. Most everything else that is working will likely continue to keep working.

There's a huge difference between preventive maintenance of common failure parts, and excessive replacement of those parts that could run years, if not decades. There's little reason to replace a part that is working, and will probably outlive your own lifespan. That's pretty much wasteful, IMO.

#36 8 years ago

Just for the record in case it comes across like I'm trying to start an argument here...I'm not. I'm also not saying to replace the cement power resistors for maintenance, that would be silly. ...carry on.

#37 8 years ago

Well, got the switches today (bought two of them, always be ready!) and soldered the new one on its place, and voilá! everything works like a charm now, no weak flippers or anything!

So, 1 problem out of 3 fixed atleast, now displays and music remains.

#38 8 years ago

Ok, got the new soundboard home today, read the manual, installed it, started a new game (after the game warned me about Adjust Switch Four Bank 4 error?), and....

nothing.

no music can be heard.

Ok, guys, im really flailing around int he dark now on this music stuff, is the music chip somewhere else?? both speakers work, they have been checked, and the hot chip problem is solved with the new soundboard, so, what now? where should i look?

I ahd all the 4 sockets resoldered incase it was a solder gone old, and the CPU flatcable has been switched to a new one so it cant be that.

IMG_1806.jpgIMG_1806.jpg

Can someone into electronics point out the music chip, anywhere?

IMG_1807.jpgIMG_1807.jpg

#39 8 years ago

Hi,
Man, that sucks your new board did not solve the problem! What a downer, but, it is at least a slow process of elimination. I'm not very useful to your questions, sorry.
Have you read this thread? It is the most thorough thread on this specific game/board I have found in my research....unfortunately for us, it was just a reversed cable! A lot of useful troubleshooting info though:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-missing-background-music-investigation#post-2295117

I'm along on this journey also with the same problem, so I hope together we can solve this! Weekend coming up means good troubleshooting times.

#40 8 years ago

Among other error messages I get on start up that I'm dealing with, I get adjust switch 23 - 4 bank. Are you sure yours is switch 4 bank four? Maybe we start with the easy stuff eh? I forget, do you have a copy of the manual for this game?

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Can someone into electronics point out the music chip, anywhere?

There isn't a "music chip". Background audio involves a whole lot of components...it's more of a "process". Think about it - the entire BOARD you replaced was involved in processing music. Now that you have replaced it, you can be reasonably assured that it is not the problem. Did you replace the ribbon cable and make certain it is installed correctly? This is so common it is almost cliche, replacing a board because of a cable problem. Once that is done, if it is still bad, you'll need a occilloscope or logic probe to start poking around the MPU.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Hi,
Man, that sucks your new board did not solve the problem! What a downer, but, it is at least a slow process of elimination. I'm not very useful to your questions, sorry.
Have you read this thread? It is the most thorough thread on this specific game/board I have found in my research....unfortunately for us, it was just a reversed cable! A lot of useful troubleshooting info though:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-missing-background-music-investigation#post-2295117
I'm along on this journey also with the same problem, so I hope together we can solve this! Weekend coming up means good troubleshooting times.

Yeah, saw it and checked it out, i already switched all the flatcables and made sure they are red stripe on 1, so it isnt that easy for me, im guessing a dead chip or diod somewhere.

Quoted from BCpinhead:

Among other error messages I get on start up that I'm dealing with, I get adjust switch 23 - 4 bank. Are you sure yours is switch 4 bank four? Maybe we start with the easy stuff eh? I forget, do you have a copy of the manual for this game?

Yeah, bought an original on ebay and also printed a preliminary manual from April 1986 just so i have both version if anything is different.

But im a total nwbie on reading schematics, but i located 2 sound chips on the CPU board, could they or something around them be the deal? i dont know exactly what or how far away to check from them, are the sound details on the CPU collected into the same area or spread out?

Quoted from wayout440:

There isn't a "music chip". Background audio involves a whole lot of components...it's more of a "process". Think about it - the entire BOARD you replaced was involved in processing music. Now that you have replaced it, you can be reasonably assured that it is not the problem. Did you replace the ribbon cable and make certain it is installed correctly? This is so common it is almost cliche, replacing a board because of a cable problem. Once that is done, if it is still bad, you'll need a occilloscope or logic probe to start poking around the MPU.

Yep, bought 5 new flatcables and switched them all to brand new ones since they looked ancient, and made sure the red strip was on 1 on both connectors, i even rechecked the soundboard-CPUboard flatcable last night.

If i cant find anything myself after this i will probably have to surrender and send the boards in to that specialist i got hold of, although he lives some long miles from here.

#43 8 years ago

Well, luckily for me that specialist i talked about is getting a Road Kings in for repairs, so now he can test my boards directly, i will screw them out and send them off down south sometime this week.

And in other news, i bought a Dolly Parton pinball today, got it cheap due to a malfunctioning cable somewhere, the guy didnt care to look for himself

IMG_1809.jpgIMG_1809.jpg

1 week later
#44 8 years ago

Just as follow-up on this thread, I took a chance a few days after you ordered a sound board. I ordered one direct from pinballpcb, and finally installed it yesterday .....and....
The bongo drums pump out the beats! It was a blind attempt for a fix, and, in this case it worked. I hope your resident board expert can help you Luzur, it seems you may have some problem on the cpu board that you and I both don't yet understand.

Btw. As soon as way out mentioned a logic probe above, I was thinking to myself ...hmmm another piece of hardware to buy and get familiar with. It seems a whole new language to me on some of the troubleshooting threads I have read, and grateful that others like WO have the skills and willingness to help us newbies. Trust it will all work out for you, just keep at it...it is worth it! I love playing GL, very fun game.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Just as follow-up on this thread, I took a chance a few days after you ordered a sound board. I ordered one direct from pinballpcb, and finally installed it yesterday .....and....
The bongo drums pump out the beats! It was a blind attempt for a fix, and, in this case it worked. I hope your resident board expert can help you Luzur, it seems you may have some problem on the cpu board that you and I both don't yet understand.
Btw. As soon as way out mentioned a logic probe above, I was thinking to myself ...hmmm another piece of hardware to buy and get familiar with. It seems a whole new language to me on some of the troubleshooting threads I have read, and grateful that others like WO have the skills and willingness to help us newbies. Trust it will all work out for you, just keep at it...it is worth it! I love playing GL, very fun game.

Nice, did you have to change any chips around or was it plug & play?

Well, i felt that i came to a roads end with my knowledge of this, im not keen on starting to solder around on the CPU board when im not sure what i am doing, so better that the expert take a look at it (hopefully he dont wanty a hefty pile of cash in the end for fixing it ) then me bumbling around screwing things up even more.

Btw, Adjust Switch Four Bank 4, is that something to do with the drop targets? i keep getting this error now.

#46 8 years ago

Hi, it was plug and play.

Thinking about it a bit more about your error question on start up, since your lower displays are out you won't be getting the 2nd half of the error message. So mine with all working displays says error four bank 4 on the top 2 displays and 23 below, so that is switch 23 on the 4 bank drop targets up top...according to the manual so without working displays it is a bit awkward to find out which target is not working. The 23 is listed on the lower display...bottom right but your display is not working.

I have the error message mentioned, and I have yet to dig into it but I'm confident it will be something straightforward like a dirty contact or broken wire...you may want to hunt around for the obvious.

So we are at a cross roads right with your machine. You and I don't know how to take on a cpu board and such with IC soldering, logic testing, etc so that leaves 2 options. 1. Send it out to pros 2. Replace small aux boards as troubleshooting points to obvious "suspect" areas.. Or combo of both ..so that would be 3 options..

Obviously all options can be expensive and I'm not saying to buy a new cpu board just because!!!

I still think you would be best to start with your power supply board. Either get it tested / rebuilt or replace with something like an xpin board. Without steady, proper voltages coming into the cpu, any problems are likely compounded.
Do you get a flicker at all of the lower displays?

I look at it this way...
You have a super playfield on that machine, and it is a great game. So why not invest in it.
If you can afford to fix it, you should. Just a lesson in patience... keep at it man! You'll get it sorted out.

#47 8 years ago

Did you check for positive 5 volts and negative -12 volts at the background sound board?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Hi, it was plug and play.
Thinking about it a bit more about your error question on start up, since your lower displays are out you won't be getting the 2nd half of the error message. So mine with all working displays says error four bank 4 on the top 2 displays and 23 below, so that is switch 23 on the 4 bank drop targets up top...according to the manual so without working displays it is a bit awkward to find out which target is not working. The 23 is listed on the lower display...bottom right but your display is not working.
I have the error message mentioned, and I have yet to dig into it but I'm confident it will be something straightforward like a dirty contact or broken wire...you may want to hunt around for the obvious.
So we are at a cross roads right with your machine. You and I don't know how to take on a cpu board and such with IC soldering, logic testing, etc so that leaves 2 options. 1. Send it out to pros 2. Replace small aux boards as troubleshooting points to obvious "suspect" areas.. Or combo of both ..so that would be 3 options..
Obviously all options can be expensive and I'm not saying to buy a new cpu board just because!!!
I still think you would be best to start with your power supply board. Either get it tested / rebuilt or replace with something like an xpin board. Without steady, proper voltages coming into the cpu, any problems are likely compounded.
Do you get a flicker at all of the lower displays?
I look at it this way...
You have a super playfield on that machine, and it is a great game. So why not invest in it.
If you can afford to fix it, you should. Just a lesson in patience... keep at it man! You'll get it sorted out.

Naturally its a keeper, so i am planning to switch out the Power Supply board to a XPin, and new displays are the next big purchase for GL.

Ok, i will look into switches around that area, might be a small quick fix.

And no, both lower ones and the two small ones are completely dead, no flickering or anything whatever i do, but the game works as is anyway so i can wait to look into that Four Bank 4 problem until i have new displays.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you check for positive 5 volts and negative -12 volts at the background sound board?

The background soundboard is completely new, so i doubt that is the problem?

#50 8 years ago

The voltage comes from the power supply, if they are bad that is why neither board works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-music-display-error-help-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.