0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #99 Fine Tuning Tips Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #100 More Fine Tuning Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #194 Playing Tips Video Posted by L8vid (9 years ago)

Post #196 BGResto Proto Backglass. Posted by RustyLizard (9 years ago)

Post #510 Possible Buzz Fix Posted by FLASHBALL (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1388 2 years ago
Quoted from Leftshoe:

Anyone have suggestions for fixing the exploit in upper play field?
Exploit: It’s possible to trap ball on upper L flipper and backhand the “cave” loop, still hold up L flipper and ball travels over to bang the “release” stand-up on right, hold up R flipper to return ball to trap on upper L flipper, rinse and repeat indefinitely.
I need to put a stop to this during tourney play.
I gapped the switch wider on the “Release” standup on R wider. This prevents maxing out bonus, but still possible to trap on L and backhand “cave” repeatedly.
Thinking about longer coil stops on both upper flips to prevent traps up there.
Suggestions?

Install lightning flippers on upper playfield? That would make the shot more difficult but probably would not stop it completely... unless... you put mini flippers up there. Now that would stop it but, it might also make releasing multiball nearly impossible.

Removing the lower center post between the flippers would reduce ball times as well.

If anyone is looking to trade or sell their GL, I am looking for one.

4 months later
#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

The main bank of drops up top isn’t really where it’s at so much as the turnaround shot.

I don't think either is tremendously productive on mine. But having said that, it REALLY depends on how each GL game is set up. I've played a bunch on them and they are all different.

On mine, in a 3-ball multiball with a flashing spinner, I can get over 150K on a solid left flipper rip. The turnaround shot is WAY too hard to make consistently on my machine. (5.5 mil is GC). On some GL machines, you can roll the game using the turnaround shot... not on mine, set up evil, PAPA style.
9CB542A6-2F00-457C-8CBE-BE996836E1CA (resized).jpeg9CB542A6-2F00-457C-8CBE-BE996836E1CA (resized).jpeg

#1422 1 year ago

No, those are actually "toothpick holes". You place a toothpick in the hole and let the flipper rest against it, then tighten.

Now, whether you do it with the flipper rubber on or off should probably be decided on a game by game basis.

Added 19 months ago:

However, Data East alignment holes seem to follow your assumption. Those align with the center of the bat, unlike Bally and Williams.

1 week later
#1426 1 year ago

Protectors and hardtops are very different than an original. Not saying they are better or worse, they ARE different. I don’t care for them myself but I say have at it if you like the way it makes the game play. Hardtop is more work than a playfield swap, some people incorrectly assume it’s easier.

1 week later
#1433 1 year ago

That metal ball guide on the right side is bent inward very badly. It's a two way gate. The shot is collectible in either direction.

Can't tell from picture... but the gate may also be bent. Looks like you need to bend that ball guide out so it touches the rubber post next to it.
f1daa3f3eae04930e5e3a1fd90f7a6bdd6fd5b4f (resized).jpgf1daa3f3eae04930e5e3a1fd90f7a6bdd6fd5b4f (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1440 1 year ago

All system 11 nothing games had the boards mounted like that.

1 month later
#1448 1 year ago

Come play GL at Pincinnati this weekend.
You will not be disappointed!

6AFDE301-DE97-47FB-A63D-57DBE47535AA (resized).jpeg6AFDE301-DE97-47FB-A63D-57DBE47535AA (resized).jpeg82EA80B1-05EF-4111-B049-725DF8DEC45A (resized).jpeg82EA80B1-05EF-4111-B049-725DF8DEC45A (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1461 1 year ago
Quoted from dahmo:

Table: There is currently some old mylar on the table that is bubbling up and has some dirt/air pockets beneath. My plan there was to freeze and carefully remove, heat the insert lights that have become not flush with the table from underneath to get flat again, then apply a new mylar set.

My advice is to leave it.

2 weeks later
#1467 1 year ago

GL is the 80’s equivalent of BSD. The total game package… same legendary designer.

2 months later
#1500 1 year ago

Right. But there’s absolutely no reason at all to take fuses with you. Power it up, explain it’s broke, assume it needs a new display and go from there.

2 weeks later
#1519 1 year ago

I would never pay 1800 for that game…. You can’t assume anything with acid damage is ever even repairable (even if it might be). You should just assume it will cost you a new MPU and a new set of displays, even if it doesn’t need them. That way you will not be upside down on it. You could be looking at $600-$700 in parts to get it running. Subtract that from what you think it’s worth fully working ($2300 fully working is my estimate on its value) and make your offer. Anyone else suggesting otherwise is not doing this pinball buying thing correctly. Also, There is a ton of wear on that PF. This is just the way I always consider things as another opinion. I don’t do this for a living but I hardly EVER put any money towards a game that I know I can’t easily recoup. Would I pay 1500 for it? I probably would not even pay that for it but, I already have a GL. And I DO think it would sell at that price, it’s just not the right item for me.

#1532 1 year ago
Quoted from astaroth:

The sys11 board can typically be easily repaired. So, no need to waste money on a replacement. Remember to add the extra fuses on the bridge rectifiers attached to the backbox. For the battery damage consider yourself lucky this sys11 board has been attached “upside down” so that the battery alkaline damage could only touch a few components like the resistors. Later system11a-b-c boards have the battery on the upper side. The possibly damaged resistors can still be found, if I am not mistaken. Otherwise just use single resistors like I did on mine.

He was only calculating that he MIGHT have to replace the PCB and factoring that into an offer, not that he absolutely will have to replace it.

1 month later
#1555 10 months ago

I do not say this lightly. Grand lizard for 80’s pinball is JUST as good as BSD for 90’s pinball. I ignored the game for many years because other games always seemed to have better themes but this game is just about perfect in every way. I actually like it better than Space Shuttle for a classic and Shuttle is among THE most respected 80’s titles. Yeah, Oursler was a genius and pinball master with the simplicity of his designs. I am so happy I was able to hang out with him and chat about pinball. I will never forget it.

2 weeks later
#1584 10 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have gotten away from the acorn nuts. Those are a pain. Lately I just use the rubber post caps. Pinball Life has those in a wide range of colors so no longer just black or white. They seem to hold the plastic on well but have a bit of give if a ball hits the plastic. I used orange ones on my Volcano. May use some colored ones on my Grand Lizard when I shop it out.

Those rubber ones fall off too way too often on tournamnet/league games round these parts.

2 months later
#1619 8 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

A trough light below the flippers to light up the lizard head at the bottom would be cool.

You mean like this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/29#post-7261764

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.