0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #99 Fine Tuning Tips Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #100 More Fine Tuning Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #194 Playing Tips Video Posted by L8vid (9 years ago)

Post #196 BGResto Proto Backglass. Posted by RustyLizard (9 years ago)

Post #510 Possible Buzz Fix Posted by FLASHBALL (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luzur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#218 8 years ago

Yo Bros!

a Swede here, was given a Grand Lizard of my own a month ago (well it was a trade actually, traded my dead Sega Hang-On Deluxe arcade for it), been fixing the stuff i can handle at home since then, like switching dead lamps to pinball LEDs, polishing the playfield (was kinda dim), vacuuming out glass shard from the game (seems to have had a little glass accident before i got it, shards everywhere..) and just some minor assorted stuff.

There is some problems with it though, first off, i have no music on it, and the two lower displays are dead, and ive checked the boards, cables and ROM's, i have ordered new flatcables and i have also contacted a pinball renovation firm too see if they can take a look on the music deal and displays for me.

Also, the game sends out a extra ball even though the first ball is in play, but it the game works just fine overall.

My playfield is nice and original, although it looks like it had someone repainting the score points on the upper field some years ago.

EL5Zonv.jpgEL5Zonv.jpg

IMG_1767.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpgIMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpgIMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpgIMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpgIMG_1771.jpg

1 week later
#223 8 years ago

Been doing some minor... personal taste "modding" on my GL while waiting for parts, i just didnt like the bare metal parts.

IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1791.jpg

3 weeks later
#226 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Very cool man. If I still had my machine I'd be asking for your patterns.

LOL, my pattern is hand drawn on ordinary paper, and then i used wide clear stickytape as "mylar" on top of it, then glued iton the metal hahaha

I thought those bare metal parts looked so boring for a overall nice gamefield.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

If you can scan them in a high quality somehow and print em on sticky vinyl that would be very cool.

Well, i should have thought about that before i glued them on there Kinda hard to get decent pics of them now, although i can reproduce them kinda easily.

EDIT:

Is this useful for you guys? I redrew all the parts and cleaned them up, but you have to make them fit on the metal parts, i dont have the measurements at the moment.

Btw, i have been thinking about making something for the flippers too, like a dragon claw or something.

#233 8 years ago

Im still waiting for those new pre-production plastics to be found and made, would rebuild my GL ASAP if that wish came through.

Quoted from Flippermatt:

Thank you so very much for this.... Will really come handy once I start shopping my own Grand Lizard.
Would it be too much to ask if you could shoot a picture of the baboon decal on the spinner ? Mine is totally gone.
Thanks in Advance
Matt

I'll try, im not a master photographer though.

#235 8 years ago

I kinda tried my hand at "reproducing" those pre-production plastics arts, but all i had was some blurry ebay pics, so i dunno, you guys be the judge.

IMG_1879.jpgIMG_1879.jpg

#238 8 years ago

Well, made some more tonight, but i kinda abandoned the "straight copy" of the pre-productions plastics (getting harder to even see what they look like on the 2 blurry pics i have LOL), and just made my own design on the right sideplastic and the two flipperplastics.

Should i make any further work on this or just drop it and wait for the original pre-prod plastics to reemerge?

IMG_1882.jpgIMG_1882.jpg

#242 8 years ago

Alrighty then, i'll keep going.

And im kinda following the game board art and colors, not the plastic art, the "stone wall and vines" art seems to fit this machine pretty well actually, and as you saw on the pic i added in a small lizard on one of those flipper plastics, so minor extra details like that i can do.

Wouldnt mind changing those black ramps either to something more fitting the art style (ramps with stone stair art?), but that is abit harder to do, i wager.

And these pics will be scanned and cleaned in a paint program, no worries.

The later problem though for me is to find someone to produce the actual plastics, no such business around here that i know of.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Did I miss something? Is there a professionally done overlay avail? I know there is one avail done by a community member (and thanks mucho for doing that!) but am holding out for something a little more seamless.

I seen an overlay...somewhere, but that was more of a large sticker then seamless overlay, atleast it looked like it to me.

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

That decal is mine. I don't promote them because to be truthful, I'm basically selling them at cost (make about $10 depending where u live) south more of a pain in the butt to do. But if someone is desperate I will do one if someone is desperate. Please do read that thread you linked though. There is some great install tips from a chap who bought one and I do get in to detail about its short comings. It looks great at a distance and will clean up your machine but it's a very rough take in the original, doesn't colour match perfect and quite frankly several parts of it aren't exact from the original.
But if installed right it makes your machine look better than it did but don't mistake it for restoring a pin

Hey, if you have access to "sticker" printing you could print out my earlier mod as a sticker, from the responses ive seen you would have customers.

Anyway, i did some more work on some other plastics parts, and started on the big part on the left of the middle spinner, iw as thinking on doing a big Grand Lizard claw there so you shoot the ball into the "dungeon" between his claws, and maybe a mandrill (if possible to fit in).

Opinions, remarks and stuff you may want added or removed appreciated.

IMG_1887.jpgIMG_1887.jpg

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

If there is enough interest I'll see if I can get the "prototype style" plastics made. Why deal with stickers when you can have the "real" deal?
I was responsible for getting one of the reruns of the original GL sets made for PPS. (see earlier in this thread) I worked with the same company that is responsible for making a bunch of the repo stuff available today.
I forget what the magic number is for the amount of sets needed to be made at a time so I don't get stuck paying a bunch out of pocket while keeping the price around $125. Fortunately, plastics are not as sophisticated process as PFs or BGs so the number isn't too high. Also, I'm not doing it to make money so that also helps keep the number low. I'm pretty sure it's around 10 sets though.
I've never been a fan of the non-matching Python art and GL is one of my all time favorites so I'm motivated to do this project.

Good to know, i have no such contacts at all, so i cannot do it.

Hey Luzur, glad someone with talent is doing this!
If this does go into production please be as accurate with the plastic sizes and shapes as possible. Make sure to include the holes for the screws as well. There also needs to be a bit of a margin between the art and the edge of the plastic too. The art cannot go right up to the edge as it looks like you have it now. It will need a strong outline too. I also would even suggest making a copy of each piece, cut it out and then see how they fit on your machine.
I will see if I can get a paper print out of the layout I did for the original plastics as a guide. I think that would be helpful.
As far as finishing the art for production goes... Someone else would need to comment on that. I imagine your line art would need to be traced so it's nice and solid and the colors are strong and consistent as well. Are you going to "finish" these on a computer?
Creatively, I suggest that you keep it as close to Paul Faris style as possible. I would try to avoid any specific "custom" elements not copied from his work. (As in, don't draw your version of a mandril but closely copy one of his) I think even looking at some other machines he did would be helpful for adding different elements not found on GL that would work with the theme. For example, the skulls from Paragon.
The games that Paul Faris did around that time with that sort of style are: Centaur, Paragon, Lost World, Andromeda and maybe Space Invaders. After those, the runners up that *might* have useful elements are Hook and Frankenstein.
And, again, I think it would be a good idea if some could send Luzur better photos of those prototype plastics pictured above.
I have a bit of experience with all this but I'm far from an expert and encourage interested parties (people who would actually want a set) to chime in as to what would do this special set of plastics justice and to make them desirable to us GL owners.
Personally, something I would like to see is some type of a symmetrical element added to the sling plastics like a skull or weapon.
Please chime in GL peeps!

I draw directly from my GL plastics, put them on the paper one by one and draw the outlines so i have exact sizes for these, then fill them in with details and print them out for a final test on my GL.

Also, these plastics wont be an exact replica of the repro, kinda impossible for me to do that with what i have to work with (blurry pics from far away) and my skills (im not a trained artist, i can just draw better then average, prob other people out there with better skills then me qualified for that special job LOL), better that you get them scanned form some machine with the repro plastics if you want a direct copy of those, these i suppose will be offered as a "third" set to choose from, and i will try to work as best as i can (i am not Paul Faris ) with the Faris playfield art as a basis.

And im gonna scan these and clean them up with a piant program when im done with them all, like i did with the mod pieces, so i can fix that edge you want then, but then again, the present Angelo art goes even outside the cut lines in the plastics, so why do my art need to have a dark edge around them? For printing purposes?

And im skipping on drawing a Mandrill, i tried drawing a simple monkey for test...well...monkey anatomy skills arent there yet, thats all i can say

#256 8 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong about the outline? Maybe I'm thinking of the outline of the plastic itself. I'll figure that out.
Meh, personally I am not interested in a direct copy of the prototype set. An actual set would be one thing but since these won't be, might as well make them better. That blue... Oofa doo!
Thanks for this! Looks like there are at least a few of us interested so far!

I drew the outlines using my own Anghelo GL plastics, so the size should be a perfect fit.

#258 8 years ago

Well, im almost finished with the big plastics on the left side of the middle spinner, just som shading on the rocks to do now, any opinions?

The ball will enter the lock-up part through a "tunnel" of clear plastics between the Lizard's claws (the part with the lady like on the Anghelo original), i thought that part and the Lizard claw came out great (but thats my view, its another if its great enough for printing LOL).

I skipped doing a Mandrill on that open part, dont have the skills for monkeys and it wouldnt have fitted anyway, so i did a skull and a broken sword instead.

IMG_1888.jpgIMG_1888.jpg

#262 8 years ago

The lizard claw is pretty awesome.
I find the bones and skulls on this plastic and the other you posted look a little "cartoony" to me. Not sure why. Too clean? Teeth too big? Shape? Not sure.
Here is Paragon.
image.jpg
On the lower left are some Faris skulls. (I know you ain't Faris. )
Maybe that helps?
Don't take my criticism harshly. It's 10x better than I can do. Lol. Besides, I'm really digging it because it's 100x more appropriate and cooler than the production plastics! Keep it up!

I know, i looked at those Paragon skulls, and redrew the skull like 3 times (first skull looked very cartoony) trying to get the look, but, thats the best i can do with a pen, will try to "realify" it in the paint program as best as i can.

Eh, for me this is just some fun project, if it fails here due to "not being Faris enough" i'll just print it on my own somehow and install it in my GL, no harm done, its still leagues better the Anghelo pieces.

Also, i am kinda going for the "3D" effect from the players point of view, if you stand by the buttons the art should fit from that point of view.

Quoted from BCpinhead:

Wow! I really like your drawings luzur! I could not draw anything close to quality like you have. If you could package up your art with decals and plastics or work with someone to do this I'm sure you would sell quite a few "kits".
Small comment about the skull above, to me it seems out of place to have the bone in its teeth?
Anyways, this is my favourite game, I think it is very underrated and now that I have full sound effects....just awesome!
Keep up the great work!

It hasnt the bone in its teeth, the skull has no lower jaw and is laying on top of the bone

#265 8 years ago

I agree, you are doing a great job and you should be having fun! You asked for input so I opened my big mouth is all.
Like I said earlier, this is already miles away from the production plastics they rushed onto GL AND those proto plastics we have seen if I may say so?
Thanks for putting in the time, I really do hope you are enjoying the process.

Relax, no damage to my pride taken

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I get my stuff printed on vinyl at a sign shop. They can print on clear which is what I'd suggest for plastics. Any sign shop should be able to print this.

I gotten hold of a printer shop here in Town, but ive yet to ask them for prices for Printing the stickers AND plastics (if they can, that is.).

#275 8 years ago

The problem I have run into with the vinyl print places is that they don't have a thick enough plastic and the result is flimsy and cheap and doesn't come across like they are real pinball plastics. Hopefully there is a place that has nice and thick plastic/vinyl to print on.

Hmm, how is pinballs plastics made anyway? sticker on plastic sheet or printed on the plastics? And how is the different layers on the decals made, like the parts that enable LED to shine through.

If its a simple sticker on the bottom of a plastic sheet it would be simple just to do it that way.

#283 8 years ago

Well, ive finished all the hand drawings, and scanned them in, and finished the first part with the paint program.

Ive tried to follow Faris's kinda "sketchy" artstyle as close as i could, and i used the colors for the stones, grass and vines from his gameflield art to get it as original as possible.

Opinions are welcome though.

small_demo.pngsmall_demo.png

#288 8 years ago

Thats nice of ya all, thanks, but the main question here is, is it good enough for a production run? Im gonna finish them anyway so if people dont want them here the project wont be abandoned, i'll just print one set for myself and be done with it

#291 8 years ago

Good, good, just finished 3 pieces of the gamefield plastics, started part 2 (out of 5) of the decals.

#293 8 years ago

Would love to have better ramps too, instead of those black "lines" over the artwork, but that seems to be hard to accomplish without having to mold a new one from scratch LOL

#297 8 years ago

Oh yes. Keep on truckin'!
I am going to have lunch with "my" restro guy (that I did the GL production plastics with) next week and see how realistic it is to get this into the queue. I know that he is pretty stocked up and it probably won't be until at least Feb for him to get to them if he can. I can also get that "magic number" for how many sets it takes to make a run affordable.
In the meantime, let's see more more pics of the work in progress!

Im kinda keeping this "under wraps" until its complete, otherwise if i start posting it all i might one day when browsing for parts, find my set in complete form is sold on Marco's for 200 bucks a piece

#299 8 years ago

Someone in the pinball hobby steal art and ideas just to take credit and make a quick buck?!? That will never happen!

I shan't believe it!

Although just providing the decals for free and let people make their own plastics is the easiest way.

BTW, you got PM, Bumper.

#302 8 years ago

Btw, that "Holdover Bonus" light on the far right "Back Alley"to the upper level, is that supposed to not blink with the Attraction mode lightning show? it works, ive seen it blink so the lamp isnt busted, but it doesnt follow the others (along with those big bulbs under the lowest ramps) in the Attract Mode rythm.

1 week later
#303 8 years ago

Alright guys, the plastic art is now done and sent in for review and production, i'll let BumperMcBaulhogh handle that part, we need about 10 "customers" for a production run, so voice your interest and we will put you on the list.

#308 8 years ago

Alright, 8 people sofar + maybe a fellow swede im waiting answer from, also, ads have been posted in other forums + on Facebook.

#310 8 years ago

Ok, ive written down:

Silverballer
FirstPinGLin2011
Nephasth
Xeneize
Nibaliba
BumperMcBaulhogh
Psd4me
myself

sofar, awaiting answers from 2 guys more

Btw, i also made a little "mock-up" pic in my paint program, to show you how the plastics will prob look when in place (not exactly like this though, i had to shrink, turn and fix up alot when making this) in GL.

IMG_1899_(resized).JPGIMG_1899_(resized).JPG

#311 8 years ago

Btw, wasnt there someone here that wanted nice pics of that Mandrill spinner?

I found this, could be useful:

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/spinner.gif

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

I'll commit for a set of plastics. What exactly do we know about the actual existence of prototype plastics? I've been following this on and off. All I ever saw were those blurry eBay pictures. Were there ever prototype plastics or is this like looking for Bigfoot?

That's me! Here's the rest of the site...
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/grandlizard.html

Oh hey, its you! I have your webpage favorited in my Pinball folder! i was following your repair of Dolly Parton when i owned it myself.

Cant you just take screen shots of that spinner and clean up with a paint program and then print new stickers? that gif seems very HD.

And about the proto-type plastics, well i have no idea really, they have been sighted 2 times now, first in that ebay auction and now at some arcade parlour in...Texas was it? But no one seems to be able to get them scanned.

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Luzur, the mock up of the plastics looks incredible!

Well, i did try my best, although the sizes and the angles are kinda off on some parts, the lizard arm doesnt look that thin on the real deal.

Also, i sent in a revised version with some color fixes and add-ons to Bumper.

Anyway, this project might take some time to set up, so dont go and hold your breaths or anything.

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

The photo I posted was of a full prototype machine at Analoge Arcade Bar in Davenport, Iowa. If anyone can think of a way to compel them to scan the plastics...

Going there and ask them would be the easiest way? They cant do more then say NO.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

That was me enquiring for the spinner decals... Thanks a lot and it sure is worth a lot more than none at all.... I have a very good Grand Lizard with zero wear on the P.F... Just the spinner decal got forgotten in the restoration.... I´m in for coming cabinett restore as well as bulletproofing the SYS 11 board and everything that comes along.... If you do get a chance at better pics in the future it will be highly appreciated...
Thanks
Matt in Sweden

You have a guide for that bulletproofing, Matt? i would like to do that too to my GL.

#325 8 years ago

Btw, what is the real story behind the mish-mash of arts on GL? One guy i just talked to claimed it was due to Farris plastics art looking too close to Swords of Fury, while i read somewhere it was because Farris wasnt free after Williams had redesigned the glass, so they went with Python instead as a last minute job.

Anyone that can give the complete picture?

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

What is the price for this new design set of plastics?

Around 120 USD, at the moment, although that is yet to be "set in stone", so to say.

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

$120USD is quite fair, assuming that the quality is good.

Well, that is what Bumper is working out a deal on, at the moment.

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Bump, what skill sets are needed?
Luzur,
I am wondering....what if the slings were designed to simply mirror the art beneath them. Note in the photo below how the area under the slings isn't white, rather fully painted. I think if the sling plastics matched, it brings continuity to the lower PF art. It may be a simple scan process with little clean up.
Thoughts?

image-5_(resized).jpg

You mean like just making those 2 kicker pieces mirror the cape and stone railings? Hmm, well yeah, that sounds just fine to me, just get a clear nice scan of that part of the PF and print it, no need for me to redraw it

Anyway, i made a better overview pic, but i think the "copyright" layer messed up somehow and blurred it too much during the conversion to JPEG, but you still see the main features.

(again, the plastics parts where like cut-out and then handplaced and stretched as best as i could to fit in their spots, but since i borrowed the original PF pic from the internet i had no real "points" to go after, and im such a shitty photoshopper and i might have gotten some placement wrong or stretched some pic too much, the finished product wont look like this since they where drawn from the original Python plastics set, this is just to give you a more complete view of all the pieces and enable you to input opinions.)

So anything i should change? add? remove? redo?

GrandLizard_pf_TEST_(resized).jpgGrandLizard_pf_TEST_(resized).jpg

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

The big plastic just to the left of the spinner - the claw looks great. The area has lots of stonework but I think it could use another boney part mixed in there somewhere to break it up a bit. Does that make any sense?

Add more bone piles? sure, easily done, although i might have to research other bone types because i only know how to draw the basic ones. LOL

And i made a headcount of those that have booked a set:

Silverballer
FirstPinGLin2011
Nephasth
Xeneize
Nibaliba
BumperMcBaulhogh
Psd4me
Pinballholder
TechnicalSteam
JeffZee
Mof
djreddog
ALJO
Myself

If i forgot anyone somehow gimme a holla!

#340 8 years ago

Well, this is a fandeal so its only fair the GL fans have a part in it.

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from dankme:

Luzur put me down for a set! Looking good so far....Thanks!

Added.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Put me in for a set.Those look great!
Sorry I forgot to get back to you right away.

Added.

Dont forget to add your opinion on the plastics if you want some thing changed before the time runs out and i send in the final version of it for printing, guys

I already added Silverballers proposal, more bones.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Luzur: Would you be willing to do a scan of the lower playfield and add a second set of slings and lane guides that match the playfield? I for one would be willing to pay the cost of an additional 4 pieces. Anyone else want to weigh in?
All the upper ones are AWESOME! I just hate to interrupt the Farris art at the bottom...
Xeneize

Sure, but...how do i scan the bottom playfield? i only own a regular HP PSC 1100 computer scanner/printer

You'll have to fund me a handscanner in that case...

#359 8 years ago

But, Grand Lizard already have a keyfob (thats a new word for me, had to google it):

s-l225_(resized).jpgs-l225_(resized).jpg

Not that i mind doing a new one, though.

Also, If someone scanned that playfield part it just a matter of cut and paste the right spot and fit it on the kickerplastic and send it to Bumper.

#362 8 years ago

Did a couple of test-run keyfob's, either one (or why not both on either side) looks A-OK in my eyes to use on a keychain, but i leave that up to you.

keyfob_(resized).jpgkeyfob_(resized).jpg

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I have the 2 scans of the sling/lane area. Who should I send these to?

Send it to Bumper and he might be able to fix it onto some plastics.

#366 8 years ago

A new key fob isn't mandatory. I just thought it could be cool. Don't wanna use the original design or the one of the mandrill (or any original art) as that is copy protected.

We'll scrap the mandrill then and use the eye on both sides, thats is handdrawn, as was the text (although i copied the fontstyle from the Proto-backglass.).

#374 8 years ago

Ive LED'ed my GL almost completely except for those bulbs in the playfield, gotta continue that soemtime

But i'll wait until the new plastics are out in testing so i can color-LED them too.

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from nibaliba:

Luzur.......isn't it beter to give the color of the arm and claw of the lizard the same green color as the claw by the magnets?
It matches better with the playfield in that case........if that is possible we can paint the head of the lizard also in that color.

I went by the color of the head here, so it would match it and so people wouldnt have to repaint the Lizard head plastic part, feels like one of those things that people dont really want to do.

#382 8 years ago

Anyone here knows where i might get hold of droptarget switches to GL? i bought some new switches that i was told should work, but when theya rrived they where of the wrong sort. too small and also reversed in function, requiring "rework" that im not so sure im up for atm.

Switch 3-4 on my GL isnt responding anymore, i tried resoldering everything around them but i guess its the switches themselves that are dead, the brass pins on these feels loose compared to switch 1-2.

Pictured is the new switch i bought and the original ones.

IMG_1904_(resized).JPGIMG_1904_(resized).JPG

EDIT: Never mind, i got it working with these smaller ones with some fiddling and soldering.

#384 8 years ago

You only have 2 buttons on your coindoor? Mine have 3.

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I'm in on a Luzur plastics set and would also like a second set of sings/lane guides that match the playfield there if it can be done. Would be great to have both!

I woudl love to do it, but thing is though, Williams would hunt us all down if we did any reproduction of the original Faris art, so it would be better if you guys that want this extra plastics did it yourself.

#389 8 years ago

I think your on to something here. I have two GL's and the reimport has three while the US version only has two. Its hard to say what all has been done to these pins since they rolled out of the factory but I would bet some of the older operators could shed some light.

Here is how my GL looks, 3 coinslots.

IMG_1902_(resized).JPGIMG_1902_(resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#392 8 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Funny little update to my GL machine. I have owned it for 4 months now. Cleaned it several times, repaired the flippers, fixed several switches on the game and over the weekend I decided to wax the machine. Low and behold, most of the lights are LED's and I'm just realizing that now! This was also my first pin, so it's something that I wasn't really aware of at the time of purchase. The funny thing is I almost order a bunch of LED's from Cointaker last month.

Lucky! i had old 80's bulbs in mine, switched most of them to LED by now, except the playfield ones.

I am preparing to do a "remove grey Mylar" operation on my GL atm, and im thinking about using the same type of water free varnish instead on the playfield as i used on my Volcano, it really brings out the colors in the art.

#396 8 years ago

I played some "Furniture Tetris" last weekend so now my pinball room looks like this:

IMG_1961_(resized).JPGIMG_1961_(resized).JPG

I am kinda limited to 3 pinballs, but im ok with that.

#398 8 years ago

Update: Ive just de-mylared my GL, went surprisingly fine, just some 3-4 small color lifts on the black field below the ball-lock.

Although when i was done i noticed i was like totally out of adhesive remover LOL DERP.

1 week later
#401 8 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Partial bump to post #399.
I'm thinking about adding LED's to my machine but quite confused over what lights to order for specific locations on the pin. Is there a guide somewhere that says something like "replace bulb for "A" ramp with white LED?

i just wrote up a "LED map" (quick drawing of the playfield and then adding in all the lamp locations and what colors the inserts had there) myself when i did it.

#403 8 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Care to share your map?

Sorry, it was on a piece of paper i thrown out since then, otherwise i would

#406 8 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Happy to see a GL club. If everything goes right I'm going to be getting one on Wednesday this week!

Welcome!
If you look on page 5 and 6 me and Bumper are making a new alternative plastics set for GL, if you are interested.

#411 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Bitchen! Count me in.

Added.

#412 8 years ago

Ive just finished (30 minutes ago in fact) putting on the last layer of laquer on the field and touching up some playfield colors, now starts the long journey of putting everything back in place

Thank God that i have alot of LP's to listen too while "screwing around" LOL

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Thanks K3V
Has anyone used bgresto to get the prototype glass for their machine? Wondering how the process works and if the price is way up there?

Well they said this to me whe i emailed them:

"A complete restoration for your Williams Grand Lizard Prototype (retrofitted for use with the Production Sys-11 Lamp Board) original artwork on new tempered glass and authorized by PPS/Bally-Williams is $225USD + $120 UPSPS Priority International Shipping shipping cost to your address in Sweden. Each restoration is made to order and usually ships within 4-5 weeks of receipt of order. "

But i bet you guys over in the States dont have the 120USD shipping expensives LOL

#415 8 years ago

Well i finished up my GL now (everything put back in place) after the mylar removal and now my GL actually feels smooth (+ look like new in the artwork, bright and shiny) again in the gameplay.

I was somewhat pondering while playing now about some sort of..i dunno, "sideart" on the insides along the walls of the playfield, is that something that would look good you guys think?

#421 8 years ago

Thanks for posting the info regarding the proto bg's. I am interested but hung up on their wording a little. Complete restoration...new tempered glass. These are new backglasses - you are not sending in your originals. Is this correct? They are selling licensed backglasses with the original proto art adapted for the system 11 lighting config.? I'm a little slow today and need things clearly explained.

You are buying a brand new backglass, the old one you can put in storage or give away to the neighbourhood kids.

2 weeks later
#424 8 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Flash,
You can't get rid of it on Grand Lizard. It's annoying, but unfortunately it's something you have to deal with.

Yep, its permanent unfortunatly.

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I've never heard of such thing, not saying it's not true, just that everyone I have ever talked to said it is a "feature" to Grand Lizard. Even in the restorations that Todd Tuckey does, he mentions the buzz and that there is no way to eliminate it.

Well, its probably possible to eliminate it by doing new boards and wiring from scratch, though.

#434 8 years ago

Geez, i really must get me one of these (and also hound Bumper abit more to get those plastics done anytime soon ) translites!

Totally changes this game to a more "mature" version from the "Cartoon Network" version.

#442 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

My buzz was drastically reduced after installing LEDs in all of my inserts.

Yeah, i also noticed it was reduced when putting LED's under the plastics on the playfield, gonna order up another bag of them and finish LED´ing the playfield inserts.

#448 8 years ago

I color-rigged my BG and plastics bub's, but im not really satisfied over it since the plastics and BG are kinda dang hard to get right, it seems LOL

IMG_1769_(resized).JPGIMG_1769_(resized).JPG
IMG_1770_(resized).JPGIMG_1770_(resized).JPG
IMG_1771_(resized).JPGIMG_1771_(resized).JPG

I will probably go with just whites too when i get the new plastics, since i have no idea how they will look with color LED's...

1 week later
#451 7 years ago

Well, try starting game again, if the Solenoid fuse pops again it sound to me like a short somewhere around the solenoids, have you checked the ground cables?

3 weeks later
#472 7 years ago

Does anybody have a HD pic of the Prototype backglass? best i can find on the net is this one:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=22616&id=7863&full=1

But thats is lighted so it wont work, need an unlighted one, planning on making a mock-up for test printing on paper so i can get a feeling for the whole deal, but i need a better pic + one with the displays in a row on the bottom part, if possible.

Also, i printed my plastics out on paper with my printer and installed those over the original plastics (although my printer makes the blue color real bright for some reason, supposed to be darker) to see how it looks IRL

IMG_2093_(resized).JPGIMG_2093_(resized).JPG

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from Radsson:

Hi guys just joined the club.
Im looking too for proto glass (scan or photo) escpecially because my current bg is litlle bit off theme
IMAG0972_(resized).jpg

Huh? LOL

Seems BGresto is your best bet, bro:

http://bgresto.com/?p=972

And then you can either sign up for the plastics ive made, although im not sure how far off they are of being made right now, or find the real prototype plastics out there somewhere.

#477 7 years ago

I made some target decals for the LIZARD spots for my GL, i found the mandrill on the internet though (it seems cant draw a good one to save my life, believe me i tried...) so i dunno how it is about copyright and stuff.

So if you want it let meknow and i'll post it here, but you are on your own with the copyright risk LOL

IMG_2095_(resized).JPGIMG_2095_(resized).JPG

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Playing with colors this rainy weekend. I added some blue and purple LEDs

20160126_230025_(resized).jpg20160126_230030_(resized).jpg

Looks snazzy, gotta try purple

Also, here, im posting the targetdecal up for grabs.

GL_spotjp_(resized).jpgGL_spotjp_(resized).jpg

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

General question for installing LED's in a game. Is there any general "rule of thumbs"? I'm new to all of this and I'm looking to pick up some LED's at Pinfest this weekend. But I have no clue where to begin. For example I can choose from Domes, SMDs, Brights, Super Flashers, Non-Ghosting. I don't know where to start. Let me say that I am not trying to restore these games or looking to resell them for a fortune. I'm simply looking for some LED's to install that "get the job done".

Well, ive so far gone after how it looks with that color installed at that spot and then switched colors around if they didnt fit, also i try to go after the theme and the artwork when LED'ing, i dont shove in colorchangers and bright colors just to get spotlights in your face

1 month later
#488 7 years ago

Ok guys, installed the "test-plastics" i had made in my GL, looks good sofar except for some "size" problems, wrong LED's and minor details like wrong angle/too small screw holes, but that will be hammered out in the final production.

IMG_2133_(resized).JPGIMG_2133_(resized).JPG

IMG_2137_(resized).JPGIMG_2137_(resized).JPG

#490 7 years ago

Yeah im sending the printerguy my original plastics, that way he'll get the right sizes on every corner and angle on all of them, and we avoid gaps like that one shown at the lizard's arm

IMG_2134_(resized).JPGIMG_2134_(resized).JPG

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Nice. Let me know when I can get a solid set

Are you on the list? I can put you up for a set.

Btw, i noticed a funny detail on my GL playfield, my "hero" looks like he have a mustache, is that supposed to be there? ive been comparing with pics from the net and they dont have that, and it seems like its part of the original art too, i certainly didnt add that to him

IMG_2139_(resized).JPGIMG_2139_(resized).JPG

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Take me off the list please.I am selling my machine.I am out of space and unfortunately GL has to go.I'm going to miss it.
Thanks.

Ok, done.

#498 7 years ago

Luzur, I just checked my game and the hero is clean shaven. Yours does appear to have decided to sport the 'stache. Makes him look a little like Captain Freedom in The Running Man movie.

Huh, weird, must be some joke from a previous owner.

Thats the ticket, no pain, no gain!

#499 7 years ago

Well, was a grey rain-heavy day today too, so i decided to fix the displaycover on my GL abit better.

IMG_2149_(resized).JPGIMG_2149_(resized).JPG

#500 7 years ago

Well bros, i kinda need some sound T-molding advice here, which color would fit on the edges of the backbox of GL the best? Or should i skip t molding and keep it black? a part of me wants to do something with that "blank spot" while another part of me sees it looks ok enough.

IMG_2150_(resized).JPGIMG_2150_(resized).JPG

#501 7 years ago

Even more "modding" done today:

(Pinball purists are probably biting their nails now in pure rage, but ce'st la vie LOL)

IMG_2162_(resized).JPGIMG_2162_(resized).JPG

#503 7 years ago

Thought that its getting new plastics and a new backglass (and thus not staying "original" anyway anymore), might aswell freshen up the metal parts too, specially the legs since they had been painted with black paint at some time + had some rust, so i thought Big Lizard = Green color, so i scraped off a chip of the green color from the back box W logo (gonna be repainted) and took it to the paint-master in town and got him to mix up the same hue.

#504 7 years ago

Made some T-molding for the backbox too, looks snazzy indeed.

Now all i can do is await the new backglass and version 1.2 of the plastics, i sent down my original plastics so he have the right size and thickness to work around, but he had a couple of busy weeks on the printing presses so it might be a week more before i get any news.

IMG_2187_(resized).JPGIMG_2187_(resized).JPG

And i am planning on doing some refurbishing on the coating of the cab, specially the black.

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Hey everyone.. a while back we were discussing the annoying buzzing sound that accompanies the light patterns and how it seems to be extremely common with GL. A few said that there's nothing that can be done besides tightening up your screws. I just want to confirm I had 5 caps replaced on my power supply and a 5v mod installed (blue circle) and voila. My buzzing sound has completely gone away. Here is a pic of what was done.
Side note: nice touch with the green Luzur! I seen a GL with green rails and Yellow/gold legs. Thought it was a pretty snaZZy color matchup.

Do you have a better pic on which you switched out and also exactly which caps you used? I want to do the same mod too, but being an pinball electrician newbie i kinda need more info

Yeah, i wanted to use the same orange as on the cab for the legs, but i couldnt find a chip anywhere so i had no color-example to show the paint-mixer

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I did the best I could to get pictures but they didn't turn out great. So I'm typing the values also. As numbered in yellow on my picture.
1. 220uf 35V
2. 100 if 63V
3. 2200uf 35V
4. 100uf 16V
5. 47uf 50V
I don't know resistor values as I am also an electrician noob. But the 1st picture has a clear shot of the colors and bands.

....Uhm, maybe you could ask your "pin tech" to do the diod guide,sicne those are kinda important to get right

Quoted from Pinfatuated:

I commissioned Paul Faris to create art for a plastics set that matches the art of the playfield and proto / pre-production backglass both of which Faris created the art for. I have not had time to get it scanned or look at getting plastics printed, nor am I sure when I will get the time. How much interest is there in alternate plastics? I would think that a limited run would be around $200 each +/- $50, but who knows.

So, if it was that easy (just pay the original guy himself to do it!), why wasnt this done sooner, would have saved me all that time put down last spring on drawing my own

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Trust me I tried, he doesn't want to join pinside. Idk if this for personal reasons or if he just doesn't need another distraction consuming his free time.

Huh, he cant even tell you what diods it is so you can post it?

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Its 2 separate 1k ohm resistors in line.. posted that above.
This 5V mod is only for a smoother logic.
The capacitors are what will eliminate the buzzing sound.

Better to fix it all while soldering around there anyway

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Perhaps you just have too much artistic talent for your own and the Grand Lizard communities' good? Paul does not work cheap!

Well, mayhaps, but new plastics was in dire need it seems, and the original prototype plastics that is out there somewhere didnt seem show up anytime soon, so somebody had to do something, and eh, that somebody's seemed to have been me, as Enrique sings.

If they are good you have alot of customers judging by this thread, but it all depends on the quality (which with Faris himself i dont doubt) with that price.

If you go back a couple of pages in this thread you will see how i did it with my plastics, take some tips from that if you need.

#527 7 years ago

Anyway, i just heard from my printer guy, and there will be a second test version (made with the right sizes and thickness this time) and if that pass we will begin production, so i will make a last roll-call before we start the presses, so if there is anything you would like to change on the plastics or add or anything, lemme know within a 4 week period from this day.

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Pinfatuated: you can count me in as very interested and looking forward to seeing these.
Luzur: I appreciate your efforts, like what you've created and made a commitment. I will purchase a set featuring your design, regardless of what happens with Mr. Faris.
The Lizard is KING!

Thank you, but you dont have to feel forced to buy one of mine because of that, im fine either way if Pinfatuated gets his Faris set out (which is in a way is better since it will be more "original") or if i do, im not in this for the cash or to start a business (+ mine is like, "open source" anyway and will probably be released as signed freeware after a set number of batches, which number i dont know at the moment), i just want Grand Lizard to reach the height it deserves, either by stepping on Faris shoulders or on mine.

I am though, interested in what theme Faris have done on it, and also how "blue" he made it compared to mine and the prototypes.

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Boy do I understand the "how blue" comment now...

Well the originals are in this "crazy blue" color which looks abit... too crazy (although they also fit in a strange way.), while i used the color of the rocks the hero is wrestling mandrills on in the art on the upper playfield for my plastics to atleast get it a less blue and more into the style of Faris work.

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Yeah, I can't say I disagree with either of the previous statements. I really like the rocks on the proto plastics, but the blue might have been better if it was more muted like it is on playfield. And the plastics near the top just look like a large mass of green scales. So I am very excited to see what he was able come up with this time around!
I wish there were plastic protectors for this machine... there aren't are there? I'd hate to put in this new small run set and then break em!

I think it is supposed to be the big lizard coming in from the left of the playfield = its body?

#544 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Ok, here is a low resolution mock-up of the the new Paul Faris Grand Lizard plastic set.

It was designed to match the art of the prototype backglass and the production playfield artwork.

Looks nice, and Faris also had almost the same idea as i had, skulls and stones

The Mandrills on the kickers are a nice touch though.

Although the skulls and the right Lizards claw will prob not be visible since it will be hidden under the big head.

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

On that note, if anyone ever wants help on a project like this just let me know. I admittedly have never worked on pinball plastics before, but preparing files for press and working with printers is a major part of what I do for a living.

Well i dunno if Pinfatuated have a printguy yet, i have one here in Sweden that is going to do mine.

#550 7 years ago

Went to town today and got the translite, looks good although i need to go back tomorrow and buy a new glass to stick it on.

IMG_2254_(resized).JPGIMG_2254_(resized).JPG

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Who makes a translite? This is the first time I'm hearing of the existence of one.

Local printer here in town, made my own translite pic and emailed it.

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Ohhhhh, gotcha! Thought I had missed something. Excited to see how it looks lit up once you have it behind glass!

Yeah, me too, since i put it on top of the old python backglass for the photoshoot

#555 7 years ago

Well, got a glass now, and installed it, but i gotta get some soft whites or yellow LEDS for it, 47's dont light it up good, and the only LED's i had at home atm are the bright ones, which as you see dont really fit as a skintone for the Hero.

IMG_2261_(resized).JPGIMG_2261_(resized).JPG

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

My GL is having an adjust failure each time I turn it off and back on. Just installed new batteries. That didn't fix it. Still giving me the adjust failure. Ideas?

I had this last winter, i messed around every switch (touch them, clean them, change them completely etc) changed 2 of the droptarget switches, a factory reset and changed the batteries and that fixed it for me.

#561 7 years ago

Yeah, about that, is there some prefered setting for GL where it makes it the best game ever? ive set it on Easy atm but still those points dont come up more then into the 100.000's, you have to fight hard to get a million.

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Luzur,
I have mine set on medium I do believe, if not it's on hard and I can trip a million every time. My strategy for GL is this; I rarely ever use the top left flipper to shoot at the 4 drop targets in the upper PF because of the sharp ball redirects, instead I always pass the ball to the right flipper and shoot at the 3 bank. I rinse and repeat until I score the extra ball and in the process I usually knock down the 4 banks a time or two. Once the ball hits the lower PF, the goal is to shoot the backhand with the left flipper to lock the balls. Anytime the ball is on the right flippers, I pass it over to the left flipper to perform the backhand. Rinse and repeat and you will get games of 3-5 millions every time. Also, GL has the "two stage" flipper mode (sorry, don't know the exact terminology), so anytime you have multiball, you want to trap/cradle one or two balls in lower PF by pressing the flipper in halfway(stage 1), this will not activate the upper PF flippers and will allow you to play the upper PF ball while trapping the bottom balls. This is huge in GL multiball as it allows you to double or triple score for a longer amount of time. Hopefully I'm explaining it good enough, if not let me know and I'll shoot a quick video.

Ah, thanks, but i could easily score millions on my GL before (i got and held the #1 spot for 4 months before christmas), but now i cannot get above 1.5 millions.

So something have changed with the last resets, but im not sure what.

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Adjust failure happening again today. Was good for a few hours yesterday. Now it's back to the same thing. Frustrated

Could very much be a dying switch somewhere, i had two droptarget switches that was bad on my GL.

So that last trick was just a quick fix that dont hold up for long.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Today when I turned it on, the message is in German. Maybe this is a chip failure.

Sounds like its either the batteryholder thats dying or one of the chips.

Quoted from djreddog:

My lizard is now acting weird. Hard to describe but randomly in the middle of a game it's as if the game just "locks up". I lose my displays, but all other lights work, and I believe I lose slingshots and everything else. Turn off, and back on, and I can play for another 2-3 hours with no issues. Haven't even begun to diagnose this issue yet.

This also sounds like some game control chip failure, maybe a bad solder on one of the boards?

1 week later
#572 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

So I played the hell out of GL today trying to reproduce the problem. While I can't make it happen every time, it seems to freeze up, or shut down when lot's of things are happening. Pounding all 4 flippers at once while hitting drop targets seems to make it lock up. On the system board I have a code "8". Any thoughts?

Might be a chip problem? pretty strange error i will say, check the chips on the boards.

Quoted from Cyrus:

Hi. Quick question. Today I went to look at a Grand Lizard that I've had my eye on. It was bought and cleaned up, with some minor repairs, by a local retired engineer who reshops pins, mainly EM's, but he does a nice job on the occasional Solid State. The game looks good with some minor wear on the pf. The circuit boards look fine. No battery leakage. It plays great but there is no back ground music, All the other sounds are there. Just no drumming. The sounds associated with targets, spinners, etc, all work.
The seller didn't know about the back ground music. I'm wondering, is there a way to turn off the music? I'm thinking perhaps the last owner disabled it to keep from going insane? I didn't want to mess with the settings or the menu while I was there, I've never owned a system 11 system before, so was wondering if shutting off the music is a feature/option with this game. Just curious.
Thanks!

I think there is a menu option for the music actually, or check that the cabel is positioned right from the soundboard, like this:

http://www.ipdb.org/images/1070/image-A42.jpg

#574 7 years ago

Oh, btw, there is a small issue with the new translite, or more the GI lighting in the backbox, two of the lamps that lights the sword the hero holds up in the face of the Lizard on the old Python backglass will now instead blink the nose of the Lizard on the Faris Backglass, looks abit odd with a blinking light there.

Is there any way to fix that so it just stays on?

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

The background music doesn't work on mine either. I know this has happened to a few others as well. I messed around with it some when I had the game set up and didn't get anywhere. I'll have to get it fixed when I get the game out and restore it.

I had the same problem with mine when i just got it, but in my case it was the cables that been installed wrong, check these spots

image-A42_(resized).jpgimage-A42_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#581 7 years ago

Well, some update, the guy who was going to make the plastics for me had his company go bankrupt (right when he came back from his vacation too), and then reformed udner new leadership, so the production of my plastics might take abit longer before it starts.

Luckily, i didnt start to collect any cash yet

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

At least there's still hope, Luzur! Thanks for the update!

Ive been told by him they will have the printer division up and running sometime next week.

#585 7 years ago

Appreciated, and i will get this done, promise, since i want a better plastics version in my machine then test version 1 thats mounted in it at the moment

IMG_2334 (resized).JPGIMG_2334 (resized).JPG

#587 7 years ago

Oh btw, you guys still have the chance to change anything on the plastics, if you want something added or detracted, just gimme a holla.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I like them! Only thing I might have changed would have been having the slings and return lane art match the playfield. At any rate, Luzur, what you've done already far surpasses the original plastics. I can't wait to replace mine!

Hmm, you mean like, "transparent" (the art from the playfield used on the sling plastics)? Well i can take a look into that, maybe add it in as bonus stickers or something.

Although im going back to work tomorrow so time will be limited, on top of that i gotta chase the printer guy for an answer on when he can get going....

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

That was what I meant!

Btw, didnt you and me discuss this? I have some faded memory of this

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

We did...but you didn't seem as keen on it back then.
I think my favorite part of your design is the two pieces on either side of the spinner. The work on the RH side is also great. You should include (for a fee) your sticker designs as well. That cage is particularly cool!

Hmmm, could be because i was thinking of copyright issues, since it would be part of Faris/Williams playfield thats being used.

I'll look into it.

1 month later
#596 7 years ago

Hmmm, well i have no idea, bad connection on some contact on the soundboard? dying resistor? flaky ribboncable?

I have talked to my printer today, and he has now promised to start delivering plastics after he goes through some sort of education on a new printer at his new job.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Does anyone have any custom pricing/instructions cards for GL other than what is on Pinball Rebel?

I made my own custom ones from some black and white ones i found on the net, but unfortunatly i did not save the file, but they look like this:

IMG_2091 (resized).JPGIMG_2091 (resized).JPG

As soon as the plastics are done im gonna redo a new pair.

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Hey, nice to see people are still using my GL pricing/instruction cards! I made those like 18+ years ago. Looks like the links out there to the TIFF files are broken.... I'll see if I can dig up my originals and post them.
Personally, I prefer to see B&W cards on 80's and earlier pins. Glossy color photo creations just look out of place to me....

...And i want some color, so i changed them to my liking

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Grand Lizard was my first playfield mylar removal. Heat gun and lots of Goo-Gone (this was long before the freeze method). Actually, I don't think using freeze spray would have worked all that well... probably would have lifted more paint in this case. I only lost a few tiny specs here and there. Took a long time to clean up the glue though! Wish I'd known about the flour/alcohol trick back then.

Yep, i did the same, heatgun worked wonders, but i was forced to use copious amounts of highest % cleaning isapropanol and rub my fingers to the bone to get glue to get off, ive removed mylar like 4 times but my GL was the first one that behaved like that LOL

Luckily i got almost no piant lift at all, just two spots on the black parts.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Anyone else notice there is a playfield protector available for Grand Lizard now? Very tempting, but not sure I'm up for removing my mylar anytime soon. If anyone gets one of these I'd love to hear about it.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/VU7Ii-7DVk67NeY-92Fnig?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Grand%20Lizard%20%7C%201986

Huh, could have used that last year, now i have already coated my playfield.

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from penguin22:

I used the freeze method and it worked well with very minimal paint loss. Just installed the upper playfield decal sold by Pauz21 in another thread. Installing a Playfield protector now while cleaning... Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spinner- did a quick search online and didn't have any luck... alternatively does anyone have a clean scan of both sides?? Much thanks

I have this, taken from a spinner gif i found on the net.

Just do some work with a paintprogram and you should be home free.

spinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpgspinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpg

1 month later
#629 7 years ago

I dont think so, although it would be good to have them out there, if people need them.

#632 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

I was finally able to make time yesterday to meet with and drop off the art at a place to digitize the art. I should have the files within 2 weeks and keep moving forward from there.

Nice, you seem to have better luck then me to get plastics printed, i dunno what my printguy is doing. :rolleyes:

At this rate im probably have to just give the set away to everyone on the list so they can print it themselves.

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Hey Luzur,
You ever figure anything out for this? I'm getting a proto backglass as well and am worried about the location of the lights.

Sadly, i just went with green LED's on mine, looks abit odd though with his nose blinking green...

Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Luzur, when I line up my printer, perhaps I can have both our jobs printed at the same time, if you are having trouble? Right now, I'm not sure if I will go with a US or European printer. - I have leads for both. I need to evaluate the quality (by reputation and prior work, likely) and pricing each way. I will only take financial risk/responsibility for my project though.

Well, thats nice of you actually, i'll have to keep you in mind if my guy doesnt get going after christmas (besides we where gonna do a trade anyway). Im gonna call my guy again next week and hear whats taking so long, maybe i can rattle the machinery on again, who knows LOL

1 month later
#637 7 years ago

Ive been thinking, have anyone ever found a good topper for this game yet? except the flame light one that Jeff found (http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/pics.html which was pretty rad)?

Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left?

Quick mock-up:

GLhead+rampsversion1 (resized).jpgGLhead+rampsversion1 (resized).jpg

Or does that just look derp? Those big black empty spaces kinda irks me all day long, also, the game should have some sort of...things on the wall around the playfield too, like jungle or temple ruins.

#640 7 years ago

Heh, nice touches actually, personally im gonna try out Jeff's idea with a LED flame torch.

Quoted from djreddog:

Not sure about that design Luzur.

Well, everybody feel free to come up with some nice, im open for suggestions.

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

It would be nice if we had more options but heck, nobody even makes a lizard head replacement for the PF. It's also impossible to find a bad ass lizard to use as a topper.

Im not so sure about that bro

415V-mqQq9L._SY445_ (resized).jpg415V-mqQq9L._SY445_ (resized).jpg

#644 7 years ago

Well, while im pondering the ramp issue, i started on another mod.

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg

#645 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ive been thinking, have anyone ever found a good topper for this game yet? except the flame light one that Jeff found (http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/pics.html which was pretty rad)?
Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left?
Quick mock-up:

Or does that just look derp? Those big black empty spaces kinda irks me all day long, also, the game should have some sort of...things on the wall around the playfield too, like jungle or temple ruins.

What about some vines stickers on the ramps, and you see the stuff under them?

1 week later
#646 7 years ago

Ok, an updated version 2 of the plastics set have been mailed to me now from the printer, and if i (and you who ordered a set) dont find any errors on them its going up for production, finally.

2 weeks later
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

I did a bunch of stuff to my Grand Lizard over the last few months. Everything is documented on my website. Maybe I did something someone else will find useful. I also took a lot of tear-down pics, so if you're looking for a detail, maybe I can help. Click...
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/repair/repair.html

Wow, hey jeff! i bookmarked your webpage back when i had my Dolly Parton, your repair log helped alot!

1 month later
#658 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Anyone have the files, or know where to buy the Gibbon spinner decals?

Well i have this, made from a gif i found on...Jeff's webpage (?) i think it was.

spinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpgspinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpg

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Have you heard any updates? His last update was about three months ago...

Plastics making is a slow business, my GL plastics is still in the works too.

*sigh* if only i was rich, i would simply buy the printshop and force them to do it on the same day.

#671 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Wait a sec two different people are making plastics?
Me confuse.

Yeah as mentioned, i made my own fantasy set, and Pinfatuated hired Farris to draw a set. And sofar both of us have had slow printing progress

im also doing "inside art" for GL atm, will probably go with the plastics set.

Here's a "demo" of my plastics set and Pinfatuated's, + a couple of pics on how my GL looks like now:

IMG_1899 (resized).JPGIMG_1899 (resized).JPG

rival playfield (resized).jpgrival playfield (resized).jpg

IMG_2254 (resized).JPGIMG_2254 (resized).JPG

IMG_2517 (resized).JPGIMG_2517 (resized).JPG

#673 6 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Im interested in the inner art as Luzur talked about. Wonder if thats something many of us GL owners would be interested in.

Well it looks like this atm, one side already done, but needs abit of "detailing", clean-up, testing etc..

I talked to my printerguy about it and a set of 2 "side art" stickers would cost about 5 USD to make, so im thinking about simply adding it to the plastics set without any extra charge, that way people who buys the set are free to do what they want with it.

sideart demo (resized).jpgsideart demo (resized).jpg

#678 6 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Very nice. Earlier on I saw a version that you were working on with colums and pots and a fire pit. I thought that one had a "darker" feel to it which is something that I enjoyed about it. This version is also really nice. Cant wait to see the details in it. I think something about the sky takes away from that darker feel that I was mentioning.

Ah, well the demo is from the same side, abit further on though.

and im probably going to change it to night.

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My Grand Lizard locked up on me last night after I locked all 3 balls. All lights and sounds were still working and so were the flippers, however the balls wouldn't eject to start multiball. Powered off, back on, balls still didn't kick out. Removed the balls and put the game in test mode (coil test) and it appears none of the coils are firing with the exception of the flippers. Drop targets don't reset either. I lifted the PF and did a quick check on wires and didn't see anything noticeable. Also I checked all fuses, no issues there. I didn't troubleshoot any further than that and wanted to drop a quick thread in here to see if anyone had any quick suggestions as to what might be the problem. Thanks!

Hm, sounds like capacitor, resistor or something connected to the coils died on a board?

#686 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

If I send my board out to have it worked on, would this fix the issue perhaps? From posts last year, my game has always had random lock ups. Turning it off and then back on usually fixed it though. I never did find out the root cause of the random lock ups, so I'm wondering if my board finally took a dump?

Hard to know, but it wont hurt though. Have you tried reflowing the solder on the connectors on all the boards?

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

So hopefully soon Ill be able to start working on my GL. With that I wanted to share some of the ideas i have for the playfield. Basically the idea is to add some additional color. Wanted to go along with the green and red colors to match the lizard theme. So I picked up a red and a green set of colored rubbers, cliffys, and flipper bats with the super bands. I tossed the items on top of the glass so you can see the colors against the PF to get an idea of how they may look.

Nice ideas, i might do the same with my GL.

Also, i made stickers for those LIZARD targets, free of charge.

GL spotjp (resized).jpgGL spotjp (resized).jpg

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Yeah those are sweet!

I also made these for the metal parts for the ball lock, the gates at the ramps and spinner gate.

Free of charge, just print on a sticker and put on.

GLdetails (resized).pngGLdetails (resized).png

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Yes those are freaking cool! I believe ive seen those posted in this thread while back. Very nice. When printing did you have to select a certain size? Wondering your print settings so that I can print them out properly.
In fact I do have quite a bit of self adhesive photo paper that with your permission and if i can get the sizing right I might be able to print up
several "sets" of the decals and would be willing to send them to fellow GL owners also free of charge. I have a pretty nice printer, the self adhesive photo paper gives pretty decent results. I dunno could be a small project that I may be able to help give something back to the GL guys.

These are free, copy that floppy as you will, im not Gottlieb

And i used ordinary printing paper, and glued them on and put a piece of mylar on top. Also, if you are willing there's the new scorecards i made, although i dont have the file anymore, i believe the pic was posted in this thread earlier.

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Hi quick update. I've had no time to dedicate to the next steps on the Faris plastics set, but I'm anxiously awaiting a sufficient gap in my schedule to refocus on this and move it along again.

IF only we where rich, then our dang plastics would be out already LOL

#701 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Does anyone have an idea where I could get the Lizard Head or a pattern so I can make one. Thanks

Wasnt there someone earlier in the thread that had a head form pressed?

1 month later
#707 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

After seeing what some of the people have done with Sparky on Met... Has anyone repainted the plastic lizard head to make it more realistic or freaky?

I "modded" mine abit, aince it was abit...faded.

4 weeks later
#718 6 years ago

Put it in like it is

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Yes it is very dark I used quad led lights in each socket to get visabilty in mine. Just email him about the prototype grand lizard. He has done several backglasses for me over the years and they come out looking great. Reasonable price is a matter of opinion. I believe the price reflects the craftsmanship. I found it reasonable.

Yeah Bgresto is the best of them all, but abit pricey (which is totally understandable though) for us living overseas, so i simply did my own backglass and had it printed myself.

Mine came out abit brighter though.

(old pic from last year, when i was trying out different LED setups for it)

IMG_2261 (resized).JPGIMG_2261 (resized).JPG

#732 6 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

Luzur, would you be willing to print an additional backglass and sell it? I am interested in replacing my backglass with a prototype one. Thanks.

You are closer to Bgresto then me if you live in USA, and i did mine as a translite i put in place myself, so it is abit of cutting work to be done.

But if you want, i can send you the file and you can have it printed yourself.

2 weeks later
#738 6 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

So apparently that Grand Lizard from Davenport with the original prototype plastics (and backglass) is for sale: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/52146
Really hope the next owner is willing to have the plastics scanned! PPS couldn't find the film for these, so it would be great to reproduce these plastics (or at least archive the artwork). I did ask the seller, and understandably they want to leave it up to the next owner.

Huh, looks i was pretty close to how Faris made them, except he didnt make a full hand to his lizard arm like i did.

Nice to see some better pics of the whole deal.

#741 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Luzur atill waiting for your set to be available for sale...I like it even better than the protos - come on, man!

Find me a guy that can print them like, right now and he will have the files within the time it takes to email them to him.

Over here, its vacation, time-press and whatnot so my printjob have to wait, appearently.

2 weeks later
#748 6 years ago

Nice! where ya get the mandrills?

#754 6 years ago
Quoted from frogman70:

Did anyone ever do "Flashball" buzz fix and did it hold up to continuance use?

Yeah, i was planning on doing that fix but felt kinda apprehensive about it so im kinda awaiting for field reports on it too, does it work?

#762 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

So you can just go through the game and cut off all the ceramic blocks or do some need to stay?

No, just the ones connected to the flashers, some have to stay IIRC.

1 week later
#770 6 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

My left upper flipper just stopped working. Can anyone point me in a direction?

Check the coil if it have burned, check the cables around it if one have come loose, check the fuses.

#776 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Did anyone here buy the game in Iowa with the preproduction plastics? I found a ride for it and the ad was pulled and seller doesn't respond to message. Was hoping someone could get these plastics made.

Yeah, what happened to that? it was advertised on facebook aswell, then it just went silent.

#781 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Yeah, I saw that picture. I have all 3 cables and reseated them at the circled points. It's probably a bad chip or something.

Press on all the chips, sometimes that is enough, or clean them with electrical cleaner.

1 week later
#784 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

More sound issues. Suddenly the sound is so faint you can barely even hear it. Adjusting the volume knob does nothing. Any ideas?

You tried putting some electrical cleaner inside the knob? felt the cables for any nearly loose ones?

Here's mine for comparison.

IMG_20170926_202702 (resized).jpgIMG_20170926_202702 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#789 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Anyone get the 50,000 from the outlane? I've had it lit, drains, makes a barking sound effect but just gives the usual 5,000.

Hm, ive never really checked, just assumed it worked, i guess.

3 weeks later
#794 6 years ago

Is that an...an alligator head?

Also those ramp decals Pinstein made is exactly what i was looking to do myself, good to know others are working on this nice game aswell.

2 weeks later
#799 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

I have a working GL. Turns out it just needed some new fuses.
I'm missing the left upper flipper mech. It was cut out, and the wires are just loose.
Can someone takes some pictures and send me for the wiring?
Thanks

Is this helpful?

image-39 (resized).jpgimage-39 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#801 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

thanks
any chance you can take a close up of the upper left flipper area
hard to see what is wired to what there

Ops, sorry, but i totally forgot to do this, and then christmas and stuff happened...

Anyway, i suppose you fixed the problem by now, but here's some pics of upper flippers i kinda promised you, anyway.

IMG_20180108_195945 (resized).jpgIMG_20180108_195945 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180108_195933 (resized).jpgIMG_20180108_195933 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180108_195916 (resized).jpgIMG_20180108_195916 (resized).jpg

#803 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Thanks
I ended up fixing without pics.
Rebuilt all 4 flippers!!!
What's up with your EOS switch? why are they mounted separate? And not on the flipper mounting plate

I...i dunno? they work perfectly though so ive never thought about it.

#805 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

If it works, I guess leave them be.
Probably because you really never cradle the ball with the upper flippers.
I would check and make sure when the flippers are extended it is at least triggering the EOS

Well i have cradled the ball on the upper field alot actually (during multiball i try to get two up there and hold one with my right flipper while circulating the other ball around the special droptargets, ive managed a good run like that like twice), doesnt seem to have any troubles though, so as i said, have never really thought about it until you mentioned it.

Hmm, weird, and the bracket is still there too, i have fixed up all the flippers so one would have thought that i would notice it when doing it, but....no. LOL

1 week later
#806 6 years ago

Well, ive heard from my printer guy that he went into the wall before christmas, and been on sick-leave ever since, so im pretty sure any printing plans he had for my sets are now torpedoed, but ive been in touch with Pinfatuated who might have something going on.

If not i will probably have to decide to just let the art go free here on Pinside so those of you who want it can atleast get a shot at it yourself instead of just waiting decades on me getting anywhere with this. *sigh*

#807 6 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Well, ive heard from my printer guy that he went into the wall before christmas, and been on sick-leave ever since, so im pretty sure any printing plans he had for my sets are now torpedoed, but ive been in touch with Pinfatuated who might have something going on.
If not i will probably have to decide to just let the art go free here on Pinside so those of you who want it can atleast get a shot at it yourself instead of just waiting decades on me getting anywhere with this. *sigh*

Pinfatuated might have better lead that i thought earlier, so this have now been made into a "WE ARE NOT DEAD YET" call for both of us

1 week later
#810 6 years ago

LOL i have been PM:ing so much that i hit the limit before being done, so everybody who did not get a PM from me about the plastics, and you who want to be added on the list for a set of either mine or Pinfatuated's or maybe even both sets, let me know.

1 week later
#815 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My 1 and 3 player displays are starting to fade towards the "10" digits area. Does this mean the displays are dying and just need to be replaced or is there something to check to try and fix this? I've never messed with displays before so kinda at a loss. Thanks in advance!

I had kinda the same problem with my old Williams displays in my GL, so in the end after soldering, resoldering and whatnot i bought new Xpins and got rid of the problem, still works perfectly 4 years later.

Quoted from djreddog:

I need to revive this post as I still experience the same issue. It's totally random. But the symptoms are the same as mentioned above. Music and lights still work but the displays go out and none of the coils/flippers/magnets work. Turn the game off and back on and the game plays fine for awhile. Where do you think the problem lies? In the PSU or the CPU? This is the first pin I bought, and the girlfriend said we are never getting rid of it. So at this point I'm thinking of just buying a new CPU and PSU and hopefully be done with it. Previously I replaced all caps on the PSU and though that resolved the issue but ultimately it didn't. Thoughts?

Hmm, sounds like chip problems maybe? have you tried taking them out and reseat them (carefully)? feels like your GL is experiencing lock-up error. Any acid leaks on boards?

#819 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I'm leaning towards Xpin for sure, especially since the future wife said we were never selling it.
As for the chips, haven't tried that yet but certainly can try it. Also, please remember I went this board away to Ed Cheung who ran a stress test on it for 2 weeks with no issues. Not sure if that rules out the chips or not but I wanted to mention it. I don't recall seeing any acid leaks big I will look again.

Hmmm, cant be the chips then, if he had a rodeo day with it and found no faults... maybe something that dont dont like getting warm on some other board? or did you test all the boards?

Could be a bad cap pn the PSU, diod dead on one of the coils, or chip sockets gone bad, or you have to resolder the pins.

2 weeks later
#824 6 years ago

Might wanna re-cap the PSU, like i said earlier.

#829 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Update on my game shutting down. No good news. New Rottendog PSU arrived yesterday. Installed it and on game 3-4 it shut down. Once again I lifted the PF and checked every wire and diode and couldn’t find anything amiss. The only thing I did notice and I’m not sure if this has any effect on anything, I do have a couple of wires going to coils that have shoddy soldering. Most of the wires are not connected and the wire is literally hanging on by 1-2 small wires. Again not sure if this plays a factor but I’m going to resoldered those today.
What should I do at this point?

Usually bad solenoids/diods/connections result in resets when you hit the flipper-buttons, but, maybe you should resolder those shoody ones just have them done just in case.

The whole thing feels like voltage failure somewhere though. *shrugs*

#833 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I'm following now. I haven't touched the filter cap.

Yeah could be that one aswell, if its going bad. Didnt think about that.

1 week later
#845 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Worried that something is going bad. One game I was playing and after I hit a mystery it locked up. Flippers still worked but the mystery award amount was still on the screen and nothing would register. Had to shut it off. Another time I hit the special on the lower playfield and it was instant game over. Flippers went dead and it kicked the balls out of the lock. I was able to just start another game right up again though.

I dunno, sounds like you maybe got voltage problems? did you do the basic things, like resolder contacts, recap the boards etc?

#848 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Every time I see this thread back at the top, I hope there is news regarding new plastics being ready!

Sorry bro, havent heard anything from Pinfatuated lately.

Quoted from Jerickso77:

Just randomly resolder and recap everything or is there a way to tell if something needs work?

Well resolder all the contacts on all the boards (always good), check the connections, recap the PSU board and Soundboard (always good) and check voltages during stress.

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

On I have a small update. I had a guy come over and look at the game. He tested voltage at the necessary places and received either 5.0 or 4.9 on all test points. He checked the giant cap that’s mounted to the bottom of the backboard, tests good and it’s actually not the original one, it’s already been replaced at least once. The next thing he discovered was the remote battery install. It was a 4 slot battery holder filled with 4 batteries. He said the “RAM” chip was very hot. His belief is the batteries are/were delivering to much voltage to the CPU board and thus causing the RAM to overheat. He replaced it with a 3 slot battery holder. Time will now tell. We did not have time today to test the game with leads on the TP connectors. Does this make sense and could be the possible culprit for machine locking up randomly and dying?

Hmm i do know that boards that recharge the "built-in" batteries must have a blocker diode installed on the + side of the battery holder, but im not sure of Williams system 11 boards need that? But could be a possible culprit, but seems odd that the RAM should mess with your game like that, it usually only holds the setup memory? Better do a hard test ASAP and see if its fixed.

#857 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Hey Luzur, I emailed and PMed you around 11 days ago. I just got some equipment that I need to accurately re-digitize the art. I met with the printer while I was down in TX for TPF. Even if I/we get our artwork re-done quickly it is unlikely that he can have the plastics done before MGC, but he is still committed to the projects as long as he can make a quality product, which we both think he can. I have way too much on my plate but am trying to move forward on all my commitments.

You did? dangit, i bet it was lost in the junkmail, i gotta go and check. Also, dont work yourself into a wall thanks to the plastics, we dont want that at all.

#865 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

I believe Luzur is working on increasing the resolution /quality of his artwork and get it ready for use with the shared cut-line file. If his art needs a custom vector white layer (which it probably does), then I will be able to help him or do his, once I have the experience of getting mine done under my belt.

Not me personally, since i have no clue about such things (i basically thought it was just like, make a pic and then print it on a surface, but boy did i fool myself there ), but ive asked a friend that works at an advertisement firm to see if he can fix it for me, so atm im waiting for results from him.

Also, yeah come on guys, speak up! You still have a chance here to give opinions/ask questions etc

1 month later
#883 5 years ago

Ah, my old quickie?

#884 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Speaking of spinners. Anyone ever get a good file of the artwork for the spinner? If someone can make it I can print new decals at my work and send them one. Just needs to be sized correctly and a good resolution.

I have these:

Dunno if they are good enough though, i just grabbed them off a gif file for future use.

1 month later
#888 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I posted this to a general forum - but I will put it in the game specific. Anyone have an extra apron or decals for the apron?
I want to repaint my apron - but I cannot find decals anywhere to apply to the apron after I paint it.
I would be interested in a Grand Lizard apron wrap or magnetic apron but have not seen that either, any help out there? Apron wrap or magnetic cover is preferable but I think Grand Lizard is just not a big number game.

Wasnt there some guy further back in this thread that was going to make new stickers? pretty sure i recall that.

2 weeks later
#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Any progress with the 2 sets of plastics on here? Chomping at the bit for final versions !

I havent heard anything from Pinfatuated for awhile, and ive just began a new job so ive been busy on my front.

I'll PM him and see.

2 months later
#897 5 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Still trying to figure out my no music situation. I replaced U4 and that didn't work. Shoul I bother replacing U21 and U22? I assume U4 is the one with the music on it.
Also are the pins on these connectors on the lower left supposed to be missing or could they have broken off? One is missing tbe 1st pin and the other is missing the 2nd.
[quoted image]

Did you check that the cables are correctly inserted? i had no music when i got GL the first time either but for me it was the gray cable that was in the wrong position.

Here's how my setup looks like:

IMG_20170926_202702 (resized).jpgIMG_20170926_202702 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#906 5 years ago
Quoted from Mercyscene:

I've hit 7M on three balls and 9.4M with extra balls. From other comments, it sounds like this is achievable.
I have noticed on my machine that occasionally you can shoot from the left flipper through the spinner straight into the upper left loop. Anyone tried continuing this with shots down the right orbit, up the left ramp, straight down through the spinner and into the lock shot?!
I've shot a ball back to the plunger once or twice....

Ive done it once, made a "little loop" there for a few mins, my game have this bad habit on dropping the ball stright down the middle from the lizard tongue if it comes from the left ramp, but drops the ball on the left flipper if it comes from the right ramp., i guess its the plastic on the tongue thats bent out of shape.

1 month later
#915 5 years ago

Is that the one that was in a resturant/bar somewhere that another member had a pic of some time ago?

1 week later
#929 5 years ago

Well, i PM'd pinfautated about some update with my plastics, feels like its on full rotation but never getting off the airstrip LOL

#931 5 years ago

Man, thats totally rad! if my sidearts had been trashed i would have done something similar, but "unfortunatly" they are just fine

Btw, did you add LEDs in the backbox? mine dont shine up like that at all.

#933 5 years ago

Ah, that explains why your LEDS are lighting better then mine.

#936 5 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

I'm thinking about joining this club, I have a few questions.
I watched a TNT video and they say the game Humms and you cannot get rid of the humming sound, Is this true?

You can get rid of it, but it involves doing some cap soldering on the PSU board at a couple strategic places.

Quoted from mcuzz:

you turn off the in game music?

yeah, but why? Its A-OK in my ears

Quoted from mcuzz:

the flashers make noise and click during attract mode?

Ive never noticed it on my GL atleast?

LOL Duh, otherwise it wouldnt have a whole group dedicated to it

1 week later
#944 5 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

Luzor, do you know anyone selling the tongue replacement?

I...think you mean me, right? Well, no, never seen any new tongues for sale for GL, although ive seen a GL thats in Norway had a tongue made from red plastic sheet. Might be a useful tip.

#957 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

+1 for REALLY wishing that someone would make replacement lizard heads...

Someone on Pinside some years ago where talking about vacuummolding those, but i didnt hear anymore since that.

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from Mercyscene:

I thought I saw a hint about new code for this machine but I have no other details. Anyone have more info on this?

New code? thats interesting!

1 week later
#965 5 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

Can’t it be reproduced in a 3D printer? And...I don’t know much about 3D printers but they seem to be used to reproduce a lot of things these days.

Hmmm, could work aswell, someone needs to try it.

2 weeks later
#973 4 years ago

There are a couple of empty lampspots in mine aswell, must be from factory back in the day. Ive been pondering if i should just put in some extra lampbulbs in those spots or not.

2 months later
#990 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Going to be a long wait. Life has me busy and I haven't made initial contacts yet.

Ya know, Pinfatuated have contacts in the printing business since he is gonna fix up the deal on mine and his plastics, although i havent heard anything from him in a long time now, maybe you could talk to him about helping you with yours aswell?

4 months later
#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Got the metal back![quoted image]

Ah, i see others had the same idea as me

IMG_20170808_225846 (resized).jpgIMG_20170808_225846 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#1074 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Hey guys just picked up a GL, and have a question.
Did Williams originally place a clear mylar in the rear area of the playfield? Visually, there is some wear around the inserts in front of the center drop targets, but it appears the wear is covered by a clear mylar. Must have been added by an original owner, after the wear occurred. I would like to airbrush this damage, but I am not sure if this will be effective on top of this mylar.
Also any idea if I can repair this on top of the mylar? Just really want to know if the paint will stick. Or should I remove it - assuming I assume the risk to do it?
Thanks

No, mine didnt have any, but luckily it wasnt scrubbed down either, so i clearcoated the entire playfield.

#1075 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I'm still here. Game still has a blanket over it.

You are the guy who bought that proto-game? Me and Pinfatuated are doing plastics aswell (although i dunno what happens anymore there), but if you got the real protos you maybe should talk to Pinfatuated, could maybe do a 3 version plastic job.

#1076 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Have you guys seen these?
[quoted image]

Huh, more people who got siderails ideas, im making a set aswell.

1 month later
#1095 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

Just asking were you can get the prototype backglass from and how much is it?

I have the proto translite in file format if you want to print one out yourself.

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

How exactly do you print it. What type of printer?

I paid a pro printer shop to put it on translite plastic sheet, cost me like 60 bucks (converted from SEK), but i had to cut out the holes for the displays myself.

3 months later
#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I saw tnt did a recent video and they had the lizard lit with gi.
Just To be sure , is the easiest way to do this running wires from the gi to sockets glued on in the head?

Link? cant recall i saw any video with that?

#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin
What I did was got a great deal on a X-pin set here, then sell the good ones on e-bay. Wound up with a very cheap upgrade by the time it was done. Good luck with whatever you do mitchel . Great game!

I have Xpin in my GL and they are superb!

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from mitchel:

mof
[quoted image]

had that happen to me aswell once, but after i pulled abit on the spring to soften it for that gate it got solved, try that.

1 week later
#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Just got the MPU from my pre-production game up and working in my production game. The sound ROMs are so cool. Heavy drum beats in the background with Firepower noises mixed in for bonus and such.

You should get those Sound ROMS out on the 'net bro

1 month later
#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

So, who's going to make me new ramps to go with the new Hardtop?

I have had plans on making some sort of "wooden bridge" stickers for those black and boring ramps, but i havent gotten far LOL

But some cool ramps in different colors or heck formmolded as something would be cool.

#1172 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

So I m getting ready to do a FULL resto on a GL. Planning to repair, repaint and stencil the cabinet. Hardtop on the PF, wooden side walls, plastics the works. Gonna have silicone bands, you name it. Anything with a blemish will be repaired or replaced.
What would you guys say the value of that would be worth?

Well if you do the prototype stuff its gonna look nice and prob be worth for it. Nag on rusty til he drops the HD pics of it all LOL

4 months later
#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Nothing has happened yet with the plastics. I have the standard and Proto both fully working and next to each other. Next step is to make a dideo documenting the differences with my friend Jeremy at Pinball Mayhem.
Under the current circumstances I have just been laying low waiting for the world to open up again.

Same here pretty much, dunno what happened to Pinfatuated, not a word for like 15 months now. Starting to wonder if i should either try and get them printed myself or just give the file out for free so others can print them themselves, shame to just let them sit and rot away into obscurity.

2 months later
#1269 3 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Is there any point in the game where the lizard ramp eyes light up (under the head at the top of the PF) and stay lit for around 10 to 15 seconds? They seem to flash quick flashes as they should during normal gameplay, but I haven't played this game enough to see this before. It was just those two flashers that lit up and they went off on their own after those few seconds. I just dont normally see flashers stay on for more than a quick flash.

Dont think so, they flash when you hear that monster growl when you lock a ball, but i cant recall them flashing for long moments

3 weeks later
#1281 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

GL guys. Question regarding the installation of the lizard head.
When I attach the lizard head to the ramp, the ball will become obstructed and not roll out on the tongue. It hits the front edge of the lizard head. Obviously I can add some spacers to raise the head a bit to provide better clearance, but from the pics I am seeing on-line, folks are not using spacers. They are just basically screw the head right to the ramp.
So how did it originally work when new? Is the ball supposed to completely clear the lizard head? Or was it supposed to slightly contact it on the way out? If I just simply screw the head to the ramp like in pics, a slow moving ball will get caught and not drop.
Thanks

My GL lizardhead have a couple of spacers on each screw, been there since i got the game so i let them be.

#1286 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind sending me a pic? I just want to use the correct ones. Assuming its the black plastic ones.

No its regular metal ones, dont think they are original ones, i'll get ya a pic

2 months later
#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Are these supposed to be printed at a certain percent?

Certain percent?

#1294 2 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Some printers have settings for actual size or a percentage of the original size of the file. I wasn't sure if the file would have to be enlarged or shrunk in order for it to fit properly?

I didnt add that in the file? i usually add the sizes but i guess i forgot, but you can re-size it how you want, the file open source for all.

2 months later
#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from mab487:

I’m looking for a Backglass if anyone has one. Thanks

Well i can give you the translite files i made for mine, free of charge, but you have to get it printed yourself.

8 months later
#1378 1 year ago

My GL started popping the lower flipper coil fuse (again) so ims tarting to wonder if i have some sort of wander fault somewhere, since the game have been working now for awhile after the last stint (changed the coils, checked the EOL switches, the trans and the diod that turn).

Could it be a rectifier?

#1382 1 year ago
Quoted from cooperscooter:

I'd work the problem like this:
1) Check flipper coil voltages - make sure the readout is stable and as expected
2) If you don't have a breaker you can alligator clip in (my preferred method) you might lose some fuses, but you'll need to isolate first left and right flips (bang away at them) and see if one side or the other blows
3) If one side or the other causes this, then you'll need to narrow down upper or lower
4) ALWAYS inspect the movements of the pawls, solenoid pistons, EOSs, and the rest with power off, slowly, by working them by hand with a LOT of light (headlamp). Often, there can be shorts that form as things move and touch

Only thing i did last time was to change the upper coils (one ont he left which had melted during a match) to the type thats supposed to be in the game (old coil which was instaled in it was a... Gottlieb coil or something IIRC, some strange brand it was anyway) according to the schematics and change both EOS to brand new ones, and then it worked again til now.

I'll check yer list here and get back with some results i hope.

#1383 1 year ago
Quoted from Leftshoe:

Having similar fuse issue. My flipper fuse keeps blowing.
Looking into it I discovered:
I’ve got a special solenoid (switch 44 lower right sling) error showing switch stuck on. Switch is fine, coils look okay, but game blows fuse. Thankful -probably saving my sling coil from melting.
Switch still shows as on even with pf switch matrix cables disconnected from board. So it must be on the board somewhere?

I get no errors at all, it just pops the fuse after like 5-10 flips while in game, and ive checked the fuses so its the right kind and all according to manual.

#1386 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Do you have a flipper power board you can swap?( If you haven’t already done that )

No, sadly only williams game i own, others are gottlieb

#1387 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

That was going to be my suggestion. I had a bridge rectifier go on the flipper power board. Swapped it out and everything worked great after that.

The one on the board next to the fuses? Switched it out for s new one last time.

#1393 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

Well, this is the fuse that was blowing for me and that rectifier right below it needed replaced.
[quoted image]

I already switched that one for a brand new last time the game popped fuses, so it cant be that. All i have left to do is that fuse mod you do on the other bridges in the backbox.

5 months later
#1436 1 year ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I do not know of a set of plastics that match the original backglass, though I'm sure if there was a run of these printed they would sell.
Does anyone else have any different information?

There are like 3 fanmade sets around still to be printed, mine, pinfatuated, and... That third one.

3 months later
#1471 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Also, Freeplay40 is planning to make new GL ramps, so if you can keep your existing one patched up, you’ll eventually be able to get a nice new one, probably in translucent green!

Nice, i had in mind to do the same(or make some sort of stickers for them) but the idea havent come into fruition yet LOL

5 months later
#1593 8 months ago
Quoted from mof:

<=== still dreaming about a repro prototype plastic set.
Luzur
Pinfatuated

I know i know LOL ive been having real life like up the bum, and no vacation til after august, gotta make some decision

#1595 8 months ago
Quoted from mof:

I liked your hand-drawn set because I think it incorporated the playfield blue-grey the best. I liked all the sets for different reasons.
-mof

I dunno what i should do really, should i just release the files for free and let you customers arrange the plastics yourselves, continue to wait for pinfatuated to return or try to find some cheap firm in the states/or in europe and ship?

#1600 8 months ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I would prefer to just buy a set also.

Quoted from xeneize:

Luzur - I have always been down with purchasing a set if you have them made - I did like your hand-drawn version best!

Both of you are on the customer list, so you are set for one each, as soon as i get it done.

#1601 8 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Getting plastic blanks cut is relatively easy through SendCutSend; getting graphics printed and adhered is something I have done in-house, but it’s time consuming and just isn’t the same thing as getting screen printed plastics made. On the other hand, I’d probably give it a go if the files were available. I’d prefer to just be able to purchase a set, but if that’s not in the offing (understandable), I’d welcome the opportunity to make a set as a DIY project.

Well yeah i could go that route, but then i have to make a bunch of sets, ship the blanks here to Europe, adhere everything, and then re-ship back to the US. Could work but also alot of work, and i would have to prob up the price abit.

#1603 8 months ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

I hear your busy life, same thing kept me from working our Yegpin show full on the last 2 yrs.
I'd still be in for a set, have the proto back glass on mine as well.

Same here almost, havent had much time for pins for like the last year or so, too much everthing else lol

And ill mark you up for a set.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luzur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free?tu=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.