0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #99 Fine Tuning Tips Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #100 More Fine Tuning Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #194 Playing Tips Video Posted by L8vid (9 years ago)

Post #196 BGResto Proto Backglass. Posted by RustyLizard (9 years ago)

Post #510 Possible Buzz Fix Posted by FLASHBALL (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#522 7 years ago

Hi Grand Lizard Owners. I have the opportunity to add a GL to my collection. Recently shopped out and looks good. Play field shows minor wear and innards are void of any burn marks or battery damage. It's very clean. Asking price is $1900. I have new Sterns and old EM's, but no SS pins from the System 11 era. For you folks that own one, what is a reasonable price for a working and otherwise clean GL? I've seen crazy variations in price as I've tried to research this. a few years ago a good one could be had for $1k. Has that changed?

I really like both the play and the somewhat creepy theme (would look great next to my TWD).

Thanks!

Cyrus

4 weeks later
#571 7 years ago

Hi. Quick question. Today I went to look at a Grand Lizard that I've had my eye on. It was bought and cleaned up, with some minor repairs, by a local retired engineer who reshops pins, mainly EM's, but he does a nice job on the occasional Solid State. The game looks good with some minor wear on the pf. The circuit boards look fine. No battery leakage. It plays great but there is no back ground music, All the other sounds are there. Just no drumming. The sounds associated with targets, spinners, etc, all work.

The seller didn't know about the back ground music. I'm wondering, is there a way to turn off the music? I'm thinking perhaps the last owner disabled it to keep from going insane? I didn't want to mess with the settings or the menu while I was there, I've never owned a system 11 system before, so was wondering if shutting off the music is a feature/option with this game. Just curious.

Thanks!

#578 7 years ago

I joined the club today!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
#595 7 years ago

Thanks to some help and photos by Luzor I was able to re-connect the drumming music on my Grand Lizard. However, this also brought back the infamous humming that is known to this game. I replaced the sound card (no change) and power board and just ordered some speakers because hum or not, new speakers have to be better than 1986 speakers.

My problem: sometimes when I turn the game on, I only get the drumming music when I start a game. There are no game-play sounds at all. It's like silent night but with the drumming. If I shut the game off and turn it back on then the play field sounds come back and I'm good to go. Subsequent turning it off and on indicate no further problems, but it seems when I start the game after it's been off for a while, it won't provide the other sounds. If I power off and on again they come back. It's not the end of the world, but I like my tables to be 100% and I'm trying to figure out what would be causing this. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2 weeks later
#621 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Anyone else notice there is a playfield protector available for Grand Lizard now? Very tempting, but not sure I'm up for removing my mylar anytime soon. If anyone gets one of these I'd love to hear about it.

I wish they would do one for the upper play field. Mine has some wear and I'm now regularly waxing it with Carnauba wax. But mylar for upper play field only would have been sweet. Not sure why mine has mylar on the bottom play field but not the top where there tends to be a lot of wear in a very small PF area.

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Yup, that's why so many of them have messed up upper playfields. The factory mylar was just like that, really stupid. You can by mylar in sheets and cut your own, which is what I ended up doing. But if I had known there would be a full playfield protector coming out so soon after I definitely wouldn't have.

I thought about buying the new protector and just cutting it in half, but that would be a waste. My GL is no longer on a route so with HUO I don't think the wear and tear is anything that prudent waxing won't protect. I have in the last few months replaced almost every circuit board, to include MPU, power board, sound board, PinScore LED display, and put in new speakers. (Still have original flipper control board.) Pinball PCB had a few System 11 boards in stock and it came plug and play for GL; now it's like having a brand new pin. The old MPU was having issues with the battery pack and adjust errors. I thought fine, I could install a lithium battery and hope for a few more years, or just say screw it and buy a new MPU.

3 months later
#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ive been thinking, have anyone ever found a good topper for this game yet? except the flame light one that Jeff found (http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/pics.html which was pretty rad)?
Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left

I cheated and got rubber reptiles from Amazon and eBay!!!

IMG_1186 (resized).JPGIMG_1186 (resized).JPG

IMG_1187 (resized).JPGIMG_1187 (resized).JPG

#641 7 years ago

It would be nice if we had more options but heck, nobody even makes a lizard head replacement for the PF. It's also impossible to find a bad ass lizard to use as a topper.

3 weeks later
#649 7 years ago

Side blades for GL would be sweet. Speaking of upper PF wear, I can't say mine was too bad when I picked it up last year. It had of course been routed but by the time I got it, the GL had been relegated to back room storage due to some MPU problems and dead switches that were easy to fix, but nobody seemed bothered to do for an mid 80's game.

I had some wear spots on the upper PF but nothing like the bare surface of so many GL's. I cleaned and then carnauba waxed the PF, then put some strategically placed pieces of mylar on the one wear spot that had eaten into the PF, and then along a few lanes that were starting to lose paint. I would have preferred a proper restoration but this was easy and worked out fine. I thought about auto clear coat but the mylar worked fine and is doing the job. We almost broke the top 100 on Pinside several weeks ago. I think GL went to 101 but is up a little higher now.

6 months later
#777 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Crap, the tip of this switch broke off so the flipper gets caught on it and stays up. Guess I'll have to replace it. Why in the world does it have a lane change switch though?

Welcome to the world of restoring a Grand Lizard! Pinballlife.com and Marco.com should have the replacement parts (and there are other good vendors out there as well, I just use these two the most). The part numbers are in the owners manual which you can find easy on line. I'd suggest either purchase or print a copy as it will be handy as you go forward, especially when you get switch errors on start up. Pinball Life actually sells the entire flipper assembly for the right and left flipper; I had to add the lane change switch for the right side. Basic soldering skills are all you need. Customer Support from Marco and Pinball Life is very helpful if you are not sure what part you need. These are old games and sometimes require some TLC to get back to 100% playability. My music did not work either and I found someone had removed the cable. I think Luzur sent me a photo of the wiring, I had a cable made at the York show by a vendor, and I got the music back. Look through this page as I think the photos are here. That's probably why you are not getting the background music.

#779 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

I reseated the cables and even replaced the ribbon cable so I don't think that's it. I haven't followed the one that goes all the down through the head to the playfield though.

Look at page 12 of this thread. Luzur posted the wiring for the sound board. The hub is the back box. Make sure you have all the cables and they are seated correctly. I was missing one and didn't even know until I got a valid photo showing the back box sound cabling. It can't hurt to compare.

1 year later
#910 5 years ago

Check out this Grand Lizard protype. At least that’s what it appears to be.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-historical-information-on-this-grand-lizard-#post-4823056

1 month later
#938 5 years ago

Luzor nailed it. Mine hummed but I replaced the PSU and put in new speakers and the humming completely went away.

The game is fun. It’s my only 80’s pin. Upper PF’s are torn up on many of them but a decal is available.

#941 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I just picked a Grand Lizard, and I have a question about the tongue. The one in my game is broken. I assume that part is not available anywhere? Also, is the tongue supposed to hang down to the level or a ball can hit it on the play field? Or is it mounted higher so the balls can freely roll under it?
[quoted image]

The tongue should not be that low. Several owners have made their own by replacements by cutting it out of a red plastic sheet. Did you find a decal for the upper pf?

Luzor, do you know anyone selling the tongue replacement?

#942 5 years ago

You should be able to get a decal from this member:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-upper-playfield-decal

#955 5 years ago

Are you looking to sell it? Mine looks like it has been stepped on. I have found several bent plastics in my machine, and I am starting to think my machine sat for too long in a hot warehouse.

I’m actually surprised that nobody has made a replacement head or tongue for GL. Mine are both fine but others could sure use some remakes.

1 week later
#961 5 years ago

My recently acquired GL
[quoted image][quoted image]
It should cleanup well. At least the cabinet looks ok, and the back glass is in good shape.

I put LED flashers in the sockets that coincide with the lizard head and they look great. The decal for the upper pf will make a big difference.

#962 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Someone on Pinside some years ago where talking about vacuummolding those, but i didnt hear anymore since that.

Can’t it be reproduced in a 3D printer? And...I don’t know much about 3D printers but they seem to be used to reproduce a lot of things these days.

3 weeks later
#975 5 years ago

I think the game is pretty well lit. The led’s when done really bring out the play field.

3 months later
#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I did take some pics of the playfield... After seeing it for the first time in 2 years, I'm having second thoughts though. It's just so nice and doubt I'll ever run across another. Apologies to those who showed interest.[quoted image][quoted image]

Gorgeous when you compare it to the GL’s with the chewed up upper PF.

5 months later
#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Very nice GL up for sale, meaning the PF isn’t blown out. At a steal of a price too!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/90240

Unusual to see an UP on a GL in that good condition.

#1083 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Hello I am assuming you have fitted LED Flashers to the Machine if so if you want to continue to use them you will have to clip the metal leg on the Warming Resistor , it is under the playfield, just follow the wires under the playfield you only have to clip one end off or if you want to remove it all together

I had that happen when I went to LED. I thought about it and...went back to the incandescents. No pain; no pain. And I actually like having a few of those bulbs in the game.

#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Thanks guys. I deactivated the warming circuit, and problem is gone.
One more thing. Whats the odds of me taking the clear mylar off the upper area of the PF without lifting paint?

I would not even try. I tried to pull up a small piece of mylar somebody stuck down on the UP and the paint wanted to come right up with it. Instead of mylar I'm using this stuff now. No adhesive and sticks great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J6CO9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00

6 months later
#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from JBeough:

Picked up a Grand Lizard machine yesterday to start my collection. My dad has one as well which he has had for over 20 years now which is in great shape. This one needs a lot of cleaning, lights and rubber replacements, some new score displays and has some decent upper PF wear.
For the displays, I am looking at the Pinscore Display system (#PS-10877-P). Is there anything else I need to buy to get this to work for those that have this system? Or do I just need to replace that board and the displays. I know it says it can't be used with any original display or driver boards which is throwing me off. This will be the first machine I work on myself so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help![quoted image][quoted image]

I put Pinscores in mine a few years ago. I was happy with them.

1 month later
#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Would anyone mind snapping a clear pic of your upper left flipper coil wiring for me? I'm about to replace this thing for the second time and I don't wanna kill another coil. Thanks much.
RC

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Would anyone mind snapping a clear pic of your upper left flipper coil wiring for me? I'm about to replace this thing for the second time and I don't wanna kill another coil. Thanks much.
RC

Pinballlife has ready to go flipper mechanisms. It's a total replacement. Easy to install. I've got them in several of my older games and I have three of them in my GL.

#1221 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

I tried to sell at less than what i paid and was rejected / Glad these are going up. I was sold one at 2020 prices years ago by some Shady fella ...lol
glad i still have mine / I do not think i will sell now even if i get my money back as i have a new love for this title as easy and simple it is .

My GL was the first game I ever restored. It's like new. Boards were replaced, displays, speakers, flipper assemblies, Comet LED's, etc. It's at the point where I'd never get back what I paid into it! But what is great is that friends can come over and play it without me having to explain auto-save, rules, etc. It's just an easy game to play and always a lot of fun. The sound track is great for a mid-80's game.

3 months later
#1253 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Anyone mind sharing what they did for LEDs on GL? Looking for ideas on how to approach my LED conversion.

I went mostly with Comet SMD 2’s. Warm on the PF surface, and natural below it. Flashers were basic Comet 12v offerings that matched the colors of the incandescents. The lighting is now brighter, but the LEDs don’t wash out the PF.

7 months later
#1302 2 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

Just joined the club. Cabinet 9/10, Backglass 5/10, Playfield 9/10, mylar on the upper and lower playfields and except for some flash lamps, backbox lights and the kick slings not working, everything else is in order. It’s time to work out the bugs and get her cleaned up. The pre production backglass is tempting. It’s that or replace the the original art.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

First, congrats on getting a GL without a chewed up upper PF. They are hard to find! Ref the backglass, the original one by Paul was nice. Python's is FUGLY and does not really go 100% with Paul's PF art but it's such an anomaly that I decided to leave it as is. GL is a fun game. Just old fashioned pinball from the days before you needed a Masters degree just to figure out the rule set! I love the sound package.

4 months later
#1349 2 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I am excited for this one. All the boards have gone out to the Coinop Cauldron to be refurbished. My teenaged daughter and I have been refurbishing the original backglass to see how it will look before shelling out the cash for a replacement. So far the results are promising!

Clive at CoinOp Cauldron is my go to; the work is excellent. He has repaired or reconditioned several of my boards for various older games. GL was my first restoration. I was still new to the “hobby” back then and replaced most of the boards with new ones from PinballPCB. They make outstanding boards but today I would have just sent the old boards to Clive. Much more cost effective and they come back as good as new.

1 month later
#1362 2 years ago
Quoted from cooperscooter:

Based on what I am seeing posted about the upper-playfield exploit, and the large flipper bats, I can now imagine why so many of these have trashed upper-playfield damage. I am wrapping up the finishing touches on mine, which I got at an estate auction in town, and between supply chain challenges and my weak art skills, this was a tough project. I still haven't decided if I will keep or sell this machine - leaning towards "sell." I have some hardware coming from Marco and others to wrap up the target banks and power supply rebuild/mods.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve kept mine. It is really popular with friends who otherwise go comatose when you try to explain to them the rules for a modern pin. Python’s back glass is epic ugly. What’s not to love?

And your restoration looks fantastic. Enjoy the game at least for a while when you finish.

2 weeks later
1 month later
#1392 2 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Well, this is the fuse that was blowing for me and that rectifier right below it needed replaced.
[quoted image]

Pinballpcp makes arguably the best replacement boards for GL. Or you could see if Clive at Coin Op Cauldron can recondition the board that’s blowing the fuse. He does excellent work, going through the entire board, and the cost is reasonable.

http://pinballpcb.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cyrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free?tu=cyrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.