0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

If there is enough interest I'll see if I can get the "prototype style" plastics made.

Bumper McB, I'd be good for a set.

#252 8 years ago

Hey Luzur, glad someone with talent is doing this!

If this does go into production please be as accurate with the plastic sizes and shapes as possible. Make sure to include the holes for the screws as well. There also needs to be a bit of a margin between the art and the edge of the plastic too. The art cannot go right up to the edge as it looks like you have it now. It will need a strong outline too. I also would even suggest making a copy of each piece, cut it out and then see how they fit on your machine.

I will see if I can get a paper print out of the layout I did for the original plastics as a guide. I think that would be helpful.

As far as finishing the art for production goes... Someone else would need to comment on that. I imagine your line art would need to be traced so it's nice and solid and the colors are strong and consistent as well. Are you going to "finish" these on a computer?

Creatively, I suggest that you keep it as close to Paul Faris style as possible. I would try to avoid any specific "custom" elements not copied from his work. (As in, don't draw your version of a mandril but closely copy one of his) I think even looking at some other machines he did would be helpful for adding different elements not found on GL that would work with the theme. For example, the skulls from Paragon.

The games that Paul Faris did around that time with that sort of style are: Centaur, Paragon, Lost World, Andromeda and maybe Space Invaders. After those, the runners up that *might* have useful elements are Hook and Frankenstein.

And, again, I think it would be a good idea if some could send Luzur better photos of those prototype plastics pictured above.

I have a bit of experience with all this but I'm far from an expert and encourage interested parties (people who would actually want a set) to chime in as to what would do this special set of plastics justice and to make them desirable to us GL owners.

Personally, something I would like to see is some type of a symmetrical element added to the sling plastics like a skull or weapon.

Please chime in GL peeps!

#253 8 years ago

If there is enough interest I'll see if I can get the "prototype style" plastics made. Why deal with stickers when you can have the "real" deal?
I was responsible for getting one of the reruns of the original GL sets made for PPS. (see earlier in this thread) I worked with the same company that is responsible for making a bunch of the repo stuff available today.
I forget what the magic number is for the amount of sets needed to be made at a time so I don't get stuck paying a bunch out of pocket while keeping the price around $125. Fortunately, plastics are not as sophisticated process as PFs or BGs so the number isn't too high. Also, I'm not doing it to make money so that also helps keep the number low. I'm pretty sure it's around 10 sets though.
I've never been a fan of the non-matching Python art and GL is one of my all time favorites so I'm motivated to do this project.

Good to know, i have no such contacts at all, so i cannot do it.

Hey Luzur, glad someone with talent is doing this!
If this does go into production please be as accurate with the plastic sizes and shapes as possible. Make sure to include the holes for the screws as well. There also needs to be a bit of a margin between the art and the edge of the plastic too. The art cannot go right up to the edge as it looks like you have it now. It will need a strong outline too. I also would even suggest making a copy of each piece, cut it out and then see how they fit on your machine.
I will see if I can get a paper print out of the layout I did for the original plastics as a guide. I think that would be helpful.
As far as finishing the art for production goes... Someone else would need to comment on that. I imagine your line art would need to be traced so it's nice and solid and the colors are strong and consistent as well. Are you going to "finish" these on a computer?
Creatively, I suggest that you keep it as close to Paul Faris style as possible. I would try to avoid any specific "custom" elements not copied from his work. (As in, don't draw your version of a mandril but closely copy one of his) I think even looking at some other machines he did would be helpful for adding different elements not found on GL that would work with the theme. For example, the skulls from Paragon.
The games that Paul Faris did around that time with that sort of style are: Centaur, Paragon, Lost World, Andromeda and maybe Space Invaders. After those, the runners up that *might* have useful elements are Hook and Frankenstein.
And, again, I think it would be a good idea if some could send Luzur better photos of those prototype plastics pictured above.
I have a bit of experience with all this but I'm far from an expert and encourage interested parties (people who would actually want a set) to chime in as to what would do this special set of plastics justice and to make them desirable to us GL owners.
Personally, something I would like to see is some type of a symmetrical element added to the sling plastics like a skull or weapon.
Please chime in GL peeps!

I draw directly from my GL plastics, put them on the paper one by one and draw the outlines so i have exact sizes for these, then fill them in with details and print them out for a final test on my GL.

Also, these plastics wont be an exact replica of the repro, kinda impossible for me to do that with what i have to work with (blurry pics from far away) and my skills (im not a trained artist, i can just draw better then average, prob other people out there with better skills then me qualified for that special job LOL), better that you get them scanned form some machine with the repro plastics if you want a direct copy of those, these i suppose will be offered as a "third" set to choose from, and i will try to work as best as i can (i am not Paul Faris ) with the Faris playfield art as a basis.

And im gonna scan these and clean them up with a piant program when im done with them all, like i did with the mod pieces, so i can fix that edge you want then, but then again, the present Angelo art goes even outside the cut lines in the plastics, so why do my art need to have a dark edge around them? For printing purposes?

And im skipping on drawing a Mandrill, i tried drawing a simple monkey for test...well...monkey anatomy skills arent there yet, thats all i can say

#254 8 years ago

I'd be interested in a prototype style plastic set. Also a repro playfield and proto BG.

#255 8 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong about the outline? Maybe I'm thinking of the outline of the plastic itself. I'll figure that out.

Meh, personally I am not interested in a direct copy of the prototype set. An actual set would be one thing but since these won't be, might as well make them better. That blue... Oofa doo!

Thanks for this! Looks like there are at least a few of us interested so far!

#256 8 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong about the outline? Maybe I'm thinking of the outline of the plastic itself. I'll figure that out.
Meh, personally I am not interested in a direct copy of the prototype set. An actual set would be one thing but since these won't be, might as well make them better. That blue... Oofa doo!
Thanks for this! Looks like there are at least a few of us interested so far!

I drew the outlines using my own Anghelo GL plastics, so the size should be a perfect fit.

#257 8 years ago

I would be in for a set of plastics.That would prompt me to order the alt proto bg from BGR. Mike

#258 8 years ago

Well, im almost finished with the big plastics on the left side of the middle spinner, just som shading on the rocks to do now, any opinions?

The ball will enter the lock-up part through a "tunnel" of clear plastics between the Lizard's claws (the part with the lady like on the Anghelo original), i thought that part and the Lizard claw came out great (but thats my view, its another if its great enough for printing LOL).

I skipped doing a Mandrill on that open part, dont have the skills for monkeys and it wouldnt have fitted anyway, so i did a skull and a broken sword instead.

IMG_1888.jpgIMG_1888.jpg

#259 8 years ago

The lizard claw is pretty awesome.

I find the bones and skulls on this plastic and the other you posted look a little "cartoony" to me. Not sure why. Too clean? Teeth too big? Shape? Not sure.

Here is Paragon.

On the lower left are some Faris skulls. (I know you ain't Faris. )
Maybe that helps?

Don't take my criticism harshly. It's 10x better than I can do. Lol. Besides, I'm really digging it because it's 100x more appropriate and cooler than the production plastics! Keep it up!

#260 8 years ago

Those look fantastic

#261 8 years ago

Wow! I really like your drawings luzur! I could not draw anything close to quality like you have. If you could package up your art with decals and plastics or work with someone to do this I'm sure you would sell quite a few "kits".
Small comment about the skull above, to me it seems out of place to have the bone in its teeth?
Anyways, this is my favourite game, I think it is very underrated and now that I have full sound effects....just awesome!
Keep up the great work!

#262 8 years ago

The lizard claw is pretty awesome.
I find the bones and skulls on this plastic and the other you posted look a little "cartoony" to me. Not sure why. Too clean? Teeth too big? Shape? Not sure.
Here is Paragon.
image.jpg
On the lower left are some Faris skulls. (I know you ain't Faris. )
Maybe that helps?
Don't take my criticism harshly. It's 10x better than I can do. Lol. Besides, I'm really digging it because it's 100x more appropriate and cooler than the production plastics! Keep it up!

I know, i looked at those Paragon skulls, and redrew the skull like 3 times (first skull looked very cartoony) trying to get the look, but, thats the best i can do with a pen, will try to "realify" it in the paint program as best as i can.

Eh, for me this is just some fun project, if it fails here due to "not being Faris enough" i'll just print it on my own somehow and install it in my GL, no harm done, its still leagues better the Anghelo pieces.

Also, i am kinda going for the "3D" effect from the players point of view, if you stand by the buttons the art should fit from that point of view.

Quoted from BCpinhead:

Wow! I really like your drawings luzur! I could not draw anything close to quality like you have. If you could package up your art with decals and plastics or work with someone to do this I'm sure you would sell quite a few "kits".
Small comment about the skull above, to me it seems out of place to have the bone in its teeth?
Anyways, this is my favourite game, I think it is very underrated and now that I have full sound effects....just awesome!
Keep up the great work!

It hasnt the bone in its teeth, the skull has no lower jaw and is laying on top of the bone

#263 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

its still leagues better the Anghelo pieces.

For Sure!

Creatively, I suggest that you keep it as close to Paul Faris style as possible.

Great counsel from Bumper. Luzur, you have the right idea and are doing a great job. That huge claw looks solid and I like the concept of a broken blade. For as much as you may not be Faris - none of of us are. Just use his style for general direction. Don't get discouraged and keep going! It sounds like you have several of us who are ready to purchase/install these when finally complete!

#264 8 years ago

I agree, you are doing a great job and you should be having fun! You asked for input so I opened my big mouth is all.

Like I said earlier, this is already miles away from the production plastics they rushed onto GL AND those proto plastics we have seen if I may say so?

Thanks for putting in the time, I really do hope you are enjoying the process.

#265 8 years ago

I agree, you are doing a great job and you should be having fun! You asked for input so I opened my big mouth is all.
Like I said earlier, this is already miles away from the production plastics they rushed onto GL AND those proto plastics we have seen if I may say so?
Thanks for putting in the time, I really do hope you are enjoying the process.

Relax, no damage to my pride taken

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Hey, if you have access to "sticker" printing you could print out my earlier mod as a sticker, from the responses ive seen you would have customers.
Anyway, i did some more work on some other plastics parts, and started on the big part on the left of the middle spinner, iw as thinking on doing a big Grand Lizard claw there so you shoot the ball into the "dungeon" between his claws, and maybe a mandrill (if possible to fit in).
Opinions, remarks and stuff you may want added or removed appreciated.

IMG_1887.jpg

I get my stuff printed on vinyl at a sign shop. They can print on clear which is what I'd suggest for plastics. Any sign shop should be able to print this.

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I get my stuff printed on vinyl at a sign shop. They can print on clear which is what I'd suggest for plastics. Any sign shop should be able to print this.

I gotten hold of a printer shop here in Town, but ive yet to ask them for prices for Printing the stickers AND plastics (if they can, that is.).

#268 8 years ago

I've been trying to acquire good scans of the GL lizard playfield to make a complete overlay. For those that have a completely nuked machine and a 1/2 overlay for the majority of us. The "Sticker" I have now is lower resolution then I would like and is not an exact reproduction of the original.

Would be nice to get some really nice scans of the playfield. I should of bid up on that Junked Ebay machine a few months back!!! AGH!!!!!

#269 8 years ago

I've got a N.O.S GL pf I'm going to swap into mine. There's a couple of issues with it. Somebody busted out the bonus inserts and there's a smear in the screening in the upper pf by the 20,000. I got it as an almost complete pf so I have a new ramp,lizard head,tongue etc when I do my swap. I could tear it down and scan it with my 4600 if that helps. Mike

#270 8 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I've got a N.O.S GL pf I'm going to swap into mine. There's a couple of issues with it. Somebody busted out the bonus inserts and there's a smear in the screening in the upper pf by the 20,000. I got it as an almost complete pf so I have a new ramp,lizard head,tongue etc when I do my swap. I could tear it down and scan it with my 4600 if that helps. Mike

What are you planning on doing with your old lizard head?

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I need a Grand Lizard head as mine is missing 2 of the 3 mounting tabs and has been heavily "modded". The tongue was re-manufactured and replaced and while it is functional, is not aesthetically pleasing. I would be willing to buy a full ramp set, if it included both head and tongue. I am also missing the clear ball shield located at the top of the right ramp. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Whoa! Wait! PSD4 may have a head available for sale? I call first dibs! See post #215!

#272 8 years ago

The problem I have run into with the vinyl print places is that they don't have a thick enough plastic and the result is flimsy and cheap and doesn't come across like they are real pinball plastics. Hopefully there is a place that has nice and thick plastic/vinyl to print on.

#273 8 years ago

Slow down guys My old lizard head won't be going anywhere until I do my pf swap and restore which will include a cab repaint so it's going to be awhile

#274 8 years ago

I will post notice here first when I'm ready to get rid of it. Mike

#275 8 years ago

The problem I have run into with the vinyl print places is that they don't have a thick enough plastic and the result is flimsy and cheap and doesn't come across like they are real pinball plastics. Hopefully there is a place that has nice and thick plastic/vinyl to print on.

Hmm, how is pinballs plastics made anyway? sticker on plastic sheet or printed on the plastics? And how is the different layers on the decals made, like the parts that enable LED to shine through.

If its a simple sticker on the bottom of a plastic sheet it would be simple just to do it that way.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I gotten hold of a printer shop here in Town, but ive yet to ask them for prices for Printing the stickers AND plastics (if they can, that is.).

Guaranteed they print to vinyl. Every sign shop should. Likely they could print on clear vinyl. I doubt they print on plastic. You'd be more likely to cut your plastics then put the clear vinyl printed decal on the plastic.

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Oh man, a good high resolution scan of that upper playfield would be amazing! Let me know if you decide to do it, would love to make a good decal.

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Oh man, a good high resolution scan of that upper playfield would be amazing! Let me know if you decide to do it, would love to make a good decal.

I can but it might take some time. I'll need to tear the pf down and I'm in the middle of my CPR F2K swap right now.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Hmm, how is pinballs plastics made anyway? sticker on plastic sheet or printed on the plastics? And how is the different layers on the decals made, like the parts that enable LED to shine through.
If its a simple sticker on the bottom of a plastic sheet it would be simple just to do it that way.

(this is what I observed/how it was explained to me when I worked on the production GL plastics) The original art is arranged so they will fit onto one sheet of plastic. Then the art is modified for proper color and transparency. That modified art is used to make a "screen" that is then used to print the art onto the clear sheets of plastic. Similar to a silk screen process. Then each sheet is laser cut.

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I can but it might take some time. I'll need to tear the pf down and I'm in the middle of my CPR F2K swap right now.

Man I would buy a pf decal for sure, my playfield is hurting particularly after I peeled off the hobby grade "Mack tack" a previous owner used as Mylar substitute. Please please consider a scan, but while asking , perhaps you would consider a full pf scan vs just the upper portion?

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Man I would buy a pf decal for sure, my playfield is hurting particularly after I peeled off the hobby grade "Mack tack" a previous owner used as Mylar substitute. Please please consider a scan, but while asking , perhaps you would consider a full pf scan vs just the upper portion?

Yes I will scan the complete pf when I do it. Mike

#282 8 years ago

Saweeeeet! Thank you Mike.

#283 8 years ago

Well, ive finished all the hand drawings, and scanned them in, and finished the first part with the paint program.

Ive tried to follow Faris's kinda "sketchy" artstyle as close as i could, and i used the colors for the stones, grass and vines from his gameflield art to get it as original as possible.

Opinions are welcome though.

small_demo.pngsmall_demo.png

#284 8 years ago

Lazur you're doing a fantastic job. Wish I still had my GL, makes me want to buy a plastic set with the hopes of getting another one some day.

#285 8 years ago

Wow!

#287 8 years ago

Great work, Luzur!

#288 8 years ago

Thats nice of ya all, thanks, but the main question here is, is it good enough for a production run? Im gonna finish them anyway so if people dont want them here the project wont be abandoned, i'll just print one set for myself and be done with it

#289 8 years ago

I'd totally put those on my machine. Great work!

#290 8 years ago

I will gladly take a set - even two, if that's what it takes to do my part to support a production run.

#291 8 years ago

Good, good, just finished 3 pieces of the gamefield plastics, started part 2 (out of 5) of the decals.

#292 8 years ago

I'm still in

#293 8 years ago

Would love to have better ramps too, instead of those black "lines" over the artwork, but that seems to be hard to accomplish without having to mold a new one from scratch LOL

#294 8 years ago

Nice work on the plastics......
How much is a mint GL worth these days?

Thanks.

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Thats nice of ya all, thanks, but the main question here is, is it good enough for a production run? Im gonna finish them anyway so if people dont want them here the project wont be abandoned, i'll just print one set for myself and be done with it

Oh yes. Keep on truckin'!

I am going to have lunch with "my" restro guy (that I did the GL production plastics with) next week and see how realistic it is to get this into the queue. I know that he is pretty stocked up and it probably won't be until at least Feb for him to get to them if he can. I can also get that "magic number" for how many sets it takes to make a run affordable.

In the meantime, let's see more more pics of the work in progress!

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Would love to have better ramps too, instead of those black "lines" over the artwork, but that seems to be hard to accomplish without having to mold a new one from scratch LOL

Wouldn't we all! A couple years ago, via this forum, I met a guy who made custom metal ramps for his GL and they were Jack Slick! Laser cut patterns, the whole nine yards. He said that it was a passion project and far from something that he could make worthwhile for multiple sets.

I know nothing about that kind of metal work. Maybe someone here does? They are not that complicated of ramps, but I cannot see that making those would be an easy job!

#297 8 years ago

Oh yes. Keep on truckin'!
I am going to have lunch with "my" restro guy (that I did the GL production plastics with) next week and see how realistic it is to get this into the queue. I know that he is pretty stocked up and it probably won't be until at least Feb for him to get to them if he can. I can also get that "magic number" for how many sets it takes to make a run affordable.
In the meantime, let's see more more pics of the work in progress!

Im kinda keeping this "under wraps" until its complete, otherwise if i start posting it all i might one day when browsing for parts, find my set in complete form is sold on Marco's for 200 bucks a piece

#298 8 years ago

Someone in the pinball hobby steal art and ideas just to take credit and make a quick buck?!? That will never happen!

#299 8 years ago

Someone in the pinball hobby steal art and ideas just to take credit and make a quick buck?!? That will never happen!

I shan't believe it!

Although just providing the decals for free and let people make their own plastics is the easiest way.

BTW, you got PM, Bumper.

#300 8 years ago

Luzur, great job! They look so much better than the original.....the colors matches fantastic, i also want them on my Grand lizard!!!! Keep on going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.