0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from L8vid:

Here's some playing tips

One thing the vid misses. With the correct "two stage" flipper switches, it's possible to hold a ball on a lower flipper while continuing to use the upper. Still a good vid though & I gave it a thumbs up.

1 month later
#202 9 years ago

My lower GI is out in the backbox -- any clues to a solution on this one?
-mof

#203 9 years ago

Has anyone done some fine-tuned tweaking of settings to increase the difficulty of the game? I'd like to increase the difficulty, so that 1-2 mil is a real accomplishment.

Here are some things I'm considering:

1. remove the easy-backhand on the cave horseshoe -- tweak the upper flipper to have less range of motion.
2. install -- hard settings
3. get pitch to 6.5' -- right now I'm at 5' and the live catch is too easy from the spinner.
4. remove the center post? (Is that crazy?)
5. 2 max extra balls
6. Just 1 earned extra ball at 1,000,000.

Has anyone set up a really tough GL ?

-mof

3 months later
#204 8 years ago

So I now have two GL and was looking at both machines closely recently and I noticed one of my machines spinner has painted art and the other has a decal. Both look factory in my opinion and I haven't seen spinner decals offered for this machine. Was this a change for later run GL's or did someone create a decal for this machine?

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

So I now have two GL and was looking at both machines closely recently and I noticed one of my machines spinner has painted art and the other has a decal. Both look factory in my opinion and I haven't seen spinner decals offered for this machine. Was this a change for later run GL's or did someone create a decal for this machine?

I've never heard of a decal so it's possible someone made it... if you were brave enough you could lift a corner to see what's underneath. But, then again it may not stick back down so it may be fine to just leave well enough alone.

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone done some fine-tuned tweaking of settings to increase the difficulty of the game? I'd like to increase the difficulty, so that 1-2 mil is a real accomplishment.
Here are some things I'm considering:
1. remove the easy-backhand on the cave horseshoe -- tweak the upper flipper to have less range of motion.
2. install -- hard settings
3. get pitch to 6.5' -- right now I'm at 5' and the live catch is too easy from the spinner.
4. remove the center post? (Is that crazy?)
5. 2 max extra balls
6. Just 1 earned extra ball at 1,000,000.
Has anyone set up a really tough GL ?
-mof

I wouldn't call mine "tough", but many visitors do. Only 3 people have broken 1 million on it, and I'm the only one to break 2 million (my high is around 4.5 million), but that's not saying much.
1. I always try for the 50,000 bonus up right after each cave loop...
2. Mine are close to factory.
3. I raised my leg levelers on the back legs to max and lowered the fronts to minimum. It's fun.
4. No. It's part of the game.
5. Yes.
6. Change your reward for 1,000,000 to credit.
7. Wax that sumbitch.

1 month later
#207 8 years ago

Holding smokes!
Look at that set of plastics to go with the prototype BG.

WANT !!!

Light blue against the dark orange looks amazing...

-mof

ebay.com link: GRAND LIZARD Pinball Machine Williams NICE
blue GL plastics - wtf!.pngblue GL plastics - wtf!.png

#208 8 years ago

Picked up a "barn find" GL. The playfield glass was broken and there was a dead squirrel on the playfield. Plugged it in and all the boards look to be sound and the drums where beatin'

Bought a NOS backglass and will begin cleaning, LED bulbs and waxing soon. Would like to redo the upper playfield but for now I am going to play it and play it and play it some more.

You might have gotten a clue by the pictures that I'm a system 11 guy.

Pictures are from the day I bought it, and brought into my house. The broken glass and squirrel were already removed, wish I would have taken a picture of that squirrel.

20150515_231246.jpg20150515_231246.jpg

20150515_231235.jpg20150515_231235.jpg

20150515_231346_1.jpg20150515_231346_1.jpg

1 month later
1 week later
#210 8 years ago

Can anyone share the story about the alternative backglass please. Is it a translite and was it ever available in numbers or just a friendly helper that at the time, upon request would produce a batch ? What are my chances of finding one and where do I look ?
Thanks Matt

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Can anyone share the story about the alternative backglass please. Is it a translite and was it ever available in numbers or just a friendly helper that at the time, upon request would produce a batch ? What are my chances of finding one and where do I look ?
Thanks Matt

This may shed some light: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-backglass

#212 8 years ago

Hey guys. Just wanted to say that I got to play one of these at the Cleveland pinball show last weekend it is was everything I hoped it could be and more! That monkey spinner might be my new favorite shot in pinball! Great sounds, awesome art package and I am normally not a fan of these split level games, but this one is so great. You guys are lucky! Cannot wait to find one of these to own someday.

#213 8 years ago

Yeah, definitely a top 3 System 11 pin for me. Probably the most played pin in my collection too. Glad you got a chance to take one for a spin!

#214 8 years ago

on the alt backglass... http://bgresto.com/?p=972

2 weeks later
#215 8 years ago

Posting here for all the mandrills in the club...

I need a Grand Lizard head as mine is missing 2 of the 3 mounting tabs and has been heavily "modded". The tongue was re-manufactured and replaced and while it is functional, is not aesthetically pleasing. I would be willing to buy a full ramp set, if it included both head and tongue. I am also missing the clear ball shield located at the top of the right ramp. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

xeneize

#216 8 years ago

Good luck. Saw a ramp with a head on eBay a while back that sold for a small fortune.

#217 8 years ago

Hi guy's just been lucky enough to pick one of these baby's up in decent condition

Dose anyone have decent scans or a link to custom play/instruction cards? Cant seem to find any anywhere!

Thanks.

Matt.

#218 8 years ago

Yo Bros!

a Swede here, was given a Grand Lizard of my own a month ago (well it was a trade actually, traded my dead Sega Hang-On Deluxe arcade for it), been fixing the stuff i can handle at home since then, like switching dead lamps to pinball LEDs, polishing the playfield (was kinda dim), vacuuming out glass shard from the game (seems to have had a little glass accident before i got it, shards everywhere..) and just some minor assorted stuff.

There is some problems with it though, first off, i have no music on it, and the two lower displays are dead, and ive checked the boards, cables and ROM's, i have ordered new flatcables and i have also contacted a pinball renovation firm too see if they can take a look on the music deal and displays for me.

Also, the game sends out a extra ball even though the first ball is in play, but it the game works just fine overall.

My playfield is nice and original, although it looks like it had someone repainting the score points on the upper field some years ago.

EL5Zonv.jpgEL5Zonv.jpg

IMG_1767.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpgIMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpgIMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpgIMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpgIMG_1771.jpg

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Dose anyone have decent scans or a link to custom play/instruction cards? Cant seem to find any anywhere!

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm

#220 8 years ago

Thank you, I actually looked there, I must be going senile

Here's my baby...

IMGP5498.jpgIMGP5498.jpg

IMGP5497.jpgIMGP5497.jpg

IMGP5502.jpgIMGP5502.jpg

#221 8 years ago

That's the best looking play field I've ever seen. Nice.

#222 8 years ago

Speaking of the alternate backglass, one popped up on fleabay today. (But it's for the prototype arranged displays. So... if you have a prototype GL & need it. Disclaimer: Not my auction.)
ebay.com link: Williams Grand Lizard Pinball Machine Prototype Backglass Backbox Light Insert

#223 8 years ago

Been doing some minor... personal taste "modding" on my GL while waiting for parts, i just didnt like the bare metal parts.

IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1791.jpg

3 weeks later
#224 8 years ago

I just picked up a GL, but am having a similar sound issue to one I've seen a couple others post about. The animal sounds (monkey etc.) play at an EXTREMELY low volume (basically inaudible), while all other sounds and the background music play at full volume. To be specific, when I run the Sound Test, sounds 1-6 are very quiet while sounds 0 & 7 seem to be at regular volume.

I've tried looking everywhere for an answer. I ordered new speech and music ROMS and put those in, didn't help at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? These sounds are one of my favorite things about this game and it's driving me crazy that I can't hear them!

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Been doing some minor... personal taste "modding" on my GL while waiting for parts, i just didnt like the bare metal parts.
IMG_1791.jpg

Very cool man. If I still had my machine I'd be asking for your patterns.

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Very cool man. If I still had my machine I'd be asking for your patterns.

LOL, my pattern is hand drawn on ordinary paper, and then i used wide clear stickytape as "mylar" on top of it, then glued iton the metal hahaha

I thought those bare metal parts looked so boring for a overall nice gamefield.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

LOL, my pattern is hand drawn on ordinary paper, and then i used wide clear stickytape as "mylar" on top of it, then glued iton the metal hahaha
I thought those bare metal parts looked so boring for a overall nice gamefield.

If you can scan them in a high quality somehow and print em on sticky vinyl that would be very cool.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

If you can scan them in a high quality somehow and print em on sticky vinyl that would be very cool.

Well, i should have thought about that before i glued them on there Kinda hard to get decent pics of them now, although i can reproduce them kinda easily.

EDIT:

Is this useful for you guys? I redrew all the parts and cleaned them up, but you have to make them fit on the metal parts, i dont have the measurements at the moment.

Btw, i have been thinking about making something for the flippers too, like a dragon claw or something.

#229 8 years ago

Those decals you made look really nice!

#230 8 years ago

Yes, thanks for sharing

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Well, i should have thought about that before i glued them on there Kinda hard to get decent pics of them now, although i can reproduce them kinda easily.
EDIT:
Is this useful for you guys? I redrew all the parts and cleaned them up, but you have to make them fit on the metal parts, i dont have the measurements at the moment.
GLdetails.png
Btw, i have been thinking about making something for the flippers too, like a dragon claw or something.

Thank you so very much for this.... Will really come handy once I start shopping my own Grand Lizard.

Would it be too much to ask if you could shoot a picture of the baboon decal on the spinner ? Mine is totally gone.

Thanks in Advance
Matt

#232 8 years ago

Gah! Lost the Auction of decent GL part's machine last week. Would of been a great opportunity to make a High-Resolution accurate playfield overlay for the game. This game really deserves a Playfield Reproduction.

#233 8 years ago

Im still waiting for those new pre-production plastics to be found and made, would rebuild my GL ASAP if that wish came through.

Quoted from Flippermatt:

Thank you so very much for this.... Will really come handy once I start shopping my own Grand Lizard.
Would it be too much to ask if you could shoot a picture of the baboon decal on the spinner ? Mine is totally gone.
Thanks in Advance
Matt

I'll try, im not a master photographer though.

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

This game really deserves a Playfield Reproduction.

So say we all!

#235 8 years ago

I kinda tried my hand at "reproducing" those pre-production plastics arts, but all i had was some blurry ebay pics, so i dunno, you guys be the judge.

IMG_1879.jpgIMG_1879.jpg

#236 8 years ago

My friends were driving through Davenport, Iowa and just happened upon a new place called Analog Arcade Bar. Apparently they have a GL there with the preproduction backglass AND preproduction plastics. Someone should talk to them about scanning the plastics.

IMG954052.jpgIMG954052.jpg

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

EDIT:
GLdetails.png

I don't have the machine anymore but when I ever find another I will revert to this thread. Great job.

#238 8 years ago

Well, made some more tonight, but i kinda abandoned the "straight copy" of the pre-productions plastics (getting harder to even see what they look like on the 2 blurry pics i have LOL), and just made my own design on the right sideplastic and the two flipperplastics.

Should i make any further work on this or just drop it and wait for the original pre-prod plastics to reemerge?

IMG_1882.jpgIMG_1882.jpg

#239 8 years ago

How can we get CPR to do a Grand Lizard run? I'd so love to get a new playfield with alot of Clear under that tongue balldrop area.
If someone could get the orginal artwork for the Pre-production backglass to BGResto and make up a new light board. I think they sell like gangbusters. How many GL's out there are left that don't have cosmetic issues?

#240 8 years ago

Technical:

CPR does what CPR chooses to do - and that requires that there be some slim ray of hope that they'll recoup their investment. I love GL, but doubt it will ever make their cut. In the short term, I recommend getting an overlay for your upper PF and clear coating the whole thing once your overlay is installed. BGResto has already done the prototype Backglass and rearranged the backside text to align with a standard lightboard. All you need to do is place your order and give Steve about 8 weeks to crank it out.

Luzur:

I think your plastic art looks great - please keep going! You seem to have artistic talent (based on your decals in the earlier posts) so maybe you could try something other than just the stone - particularly on the larger pieces. If you could produce plastic sets and the quality was there, I would willingly pay you the equivalent of what a new set of plastics costs.

Xeneize

#241 8 years ago

I agree. Lurzur, you are doing a fine job! If you keep it close to the Faris style and add stuff to the larger pieces, I would be interested as well. (Also color matching the machine art, not that gaudy blue) I would look for small elements already in the artwork and include them. (Mandrll(s)? Bones? Anyone?)

It would be nice if someone could take pics of the prototype game picture above to give Lurzur to at least give him a little help on making his plastics roughly close to those. (But better!).

Hopefully, there would be enough interested parties to make a production run possible!
Keep up the good work!

#242 8 years ago

Alrighty then, i'll keep going.

And im kinda following the game board art and colors, not the plastic art, the "stone wall and vines" art seems to fit this machine pretty well actually, and as you saw on the pic i added in a small lizard on one of those flipper plastics, so minor extra details like that i can do.

Wouldnt mind changing those black ramps either to something more fitting the art style (ramps with stone stair art?), but that is abit harder to do, i wager.

And these pics will be scanned and cleaned in a paint program, no worries.

The later problem though for me is to find someone to produce the actual plastics, no such business around here that i know of.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

In the short term, I recommend getting an overlay for your upper

Did I miss something? Is there a professionally done overlay avail? I know there is one avail done by a community member (and thanks mucho for doing that!) but am holding out for something a little more seamless.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Did I miss something? Is there a professionally done overlay avail? I know there is one avail done by a community member (and thanks mucho for doing that!) but am holding out for something a little more seamless.

I seen an overlay...somewhere, but that was more of a large sticker then seamless overlay, atleast it looked like it to me.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

but that was more of a large sticker

Yeah, that's the one I saw too: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-upper-playfield-decal

Am still hoping for an overlay at some point, so xeneize's comment got my attention.

#246 8 years ago

Sorry, PBholder - I was referring to the same "sticker" that you were already aware of.... while it may not be a licensed overlay, it is certainly one heck of a step up from most of the GL playfields I've seen. That deck that Capt Neo custom painted was AWESOME. Obviously, to take that route you have to be willing to drop some coin (but, well worth it IMO).

#247 8 years ago

Yeah, once I get my line-up settled down a bit I am going to have to decide if I am ready to sink serious money into GL or do the decal route and save my money for other projects. I guess I keep dreaming a cleaner GL is gonna pop near me.

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Yeah, that's the one I saw too: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-upper-playfield-decal
Am still hoping for an overlay at some point, so xeneize's comment got my attention.

That decal is mine. I don't promote them because to be truthful, I'm basically selling them at cost (make about $10 depending where u live) south more of a pain in the butt to do. But if someone is desperate I will do one if someone is desperate. Please do read that thread you linked though. There is some great install tips from a chap who bought one and I do get in to detail about its short comings. It looks great at a distance and will clean up your machine but it's a very rough take in the original, doesn't colour match perfect and quite frankly several parts of it aren't exact from the original.

But if installed right it makes your machine look better than it did but don't mistake it for restoring a pin

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

That decal is mine. I don't promote them because to be truthful, I'm basically selling them at cost (make about $10 depending where u live) south more of a pain in the butt to do. But if someone is desperate I will do one if someone is desperate. Please do read that thread you linked though. There is some great install tips from a chap who bought one and I do get in to detail about its short comings. It looks great at a distance and will clean up your machine but it's a very rough take in the original, doesn't colour match perfect and quite frankly several parts of it aren't exact from the original.
But if installed right it makes your machine look better than it did but don't mistake it for restoring a pin

Hey, if you have access to "sticker" printing you could print out my earlier mod as a sticker, from the responses ive seen you would have customers.

Anyway, i did some more work on some other plastics parts, and started on the big part on the left of the middle spinner, iw as thinking on doing a big Grand Lizard claw there so you shoot the ball into the "dungeon" between his claws, and maybe a mandrill (if possible to fit in).

Opinions, remarks and stuff you may want added or removed appreciated.

IMG_1887.jpgIMG_1887.jpg

#250 8 years ago

If there is enough interest I'll see if I can get the "prototype style" plastics made. Why deal with stickers when you can have the "real" deal?
I was responsible for getting one of the reruns of the original GL sets made for PPS. (see earlier in this thread) I worked with the same company that is responsible for making a bunch of the repo stuff available today.
I forget what the magic number is for the amount of sets needed to be made at a time so I don't get stuck paying a bunch out of pocket while keeping the price around $125. Fortunately, plastics are not as sophisticated process as PFs or BGs so the number isn't too high. Also, I'm not doing it to make money so that also helps keep the number low. I'm pretty sure it's around 10 sets though.
I've never been a fan of the non-matching Python art and GL is one of my all time favorites so I'm motivated to do this project.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Windsor Charter Township, MI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
There are 1,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.