0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 33.
#151 9 years ago

Hey guys having an issue with my GL after bringing it home. Dealing with the game not starting or ejecting balls into the shooter lane essentially like it doesn't know that I lost my first ball. Seems like its stuck on the first ball. Anyway I posted in the tech section of the forums looking for some ideas. If anyone can take a look at the post and help that would be greatly appreciated.

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#153 9 years ago

Just brought my Grand Lizard home today. This is my first machine and it looks quite fun.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

Just brought my Grand Lizard home today. This is my first machine and it looks quite fun.

Wait until you dial it in. Great flow.
-mof

#155 9 years ago

Greetings GL afficianados!!! New member here who acquired a nonworking machine and need to haul it home to repair. No nothing about transportation. Need some guidance as to how to fold down the scoreboard. Looking at machine, there are not obvious release latches, just a key-lock on the top which doesn't turn with the key for the coin op.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated...thanks...

#156 9 years ago

I replied to your PM, but this is a slightly different question. The key lock on the top is to release the glass. The key for mine was the same as the key for the coin op. You may need to drill the lock to get it opened. Once the lock is turned the glass will lift just enough to angle the glass out (be careful!). Once the glass has been removed there is a latch on the right side of the machine. Move the latch up and swing the inner door open. There will be two bolts in the bottom of the box, once these are removed it will fold down to the machine.

#157 9 years ago

Hi guys fairly new to pinside but have had pins for about 10 years. I picked up a GL a few years ago (with some upper wear) and love it. I ended up picking up a factory pulled playfield with most of the parts intact including a like new head ,ramp and tounge. The bad part is somebody busted out the bonus inserts and it has a smear in the 20,000 art on the upper part of the playfield which is probably why it was pulled so I have a little work on the pf before it goes in. The cab is not great I picked up a High Speed cab I'm going to re stencil when I get to this game. I had it all up and running except for the background sound before it got folded up and put in the basement. I would like to get a translight of the proto glass if one becomes aval. Mike

#158 9 years ago

Anyone have scans of the inserts or know the font type name?

#159 9 years ago

I started stripping the playfield for a deep clean/rubber and post replacement today and noticed the lower 4 flasher bulbs in my machine are 89s. Should these be 63s like behind the glass and under the lizard head? Also, other than Cointaker, who sells an LED 63 bulb?

For everyone complaining about bad upper playfields here is a pic of mine(I'm working with Pauz21 to get one of his nice looking overlays):

20140701_173730.jpg20140701_173730.jpg
#160 9 years ago

I have 89's in all my flashers

4 weeks later
#161 9 years ago

So i added two of these Cointaker 63 flashers to the lizard head:
http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=487&categoryId=8

A side effect that I really like is that they stay lit constantly and flash even brighter when the game uses the flasher bulbs. I like this, but was wondering if it could cause any long term problems? Here is a pic of the game in attract mode to show the eyes constantly lit.

Also, I have received the upper playfield overlay from Pauz21. It looks great, but a few things have come up and it will be a couple weeks before I get to install it. I'll post pics once it is on.

Lizard.jpgLizard.jpg
#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

A side effect that I really like is that they stay lit constantly and flash even brighter when the game uses the flasher bulbs. I like this, but was wondering if it could cause any long term problems? Here is a pic of the game in attract mode to show the eyes constantly lit.

They are staying on all the time because those flasher circuits have warming resistors (so the incandescent flashers turn on faster). You can remove the resistors (or simply snip one leg) if you don't want the LEDs lit all the time. I don't see any harm in leaving them if you prefer that look.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

They are staying on all the time because those flasher circuits have warming resistors (so the incandescent flashers turn on faster). You can remove the resistors (or simply snip one leg) if you don't want the LEDs lit all the time. I don't see any harm in leaving them if you prefer that look.

I figured that was the reason, I was just unsure if any damage could occur if they stay lit. There is minimal heat, so the plastic should be fine.

#164 9 years ago

Has anyone thought of a way to protect the unobtanium lizard head from damage?
-mof

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone thought of a way to protect the unobtanium lizard head from damage?
-mof

I've never seen one broken from gameplay.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I've never seen one broken from gameplay.

The mounting tabs break off of the back side.

-mof

#167 9 years ago

Applezz I like my LED flashers on too but I couldn't stand the glare so I traced out the outline of the lizard head onto thick paper and cut it out made sure nothing caught up quick simple fix its on page 3.

#168 9 years ago

Applezz-
I put Nifty LEDs into the Lizard's eyes on the PF & the backbox. Mine stay on all the time too, dimly, but blink brightly when activated.
I chose relatively cool, not-too-bright LEDs. They didn't get noticeably warm during testing when we were messing around w/ the LEDs, before I put the lizard head back on.
Seemed disconcerting for a while, having them always on, but then I got used to it. :]
-Jason
PS--snazzy photo!

1 week later
#169 9 years ago

Dear Grand Lizard-

It's not you, it's me. I'm just not feeling the butterflies anymore. I need to move on. I know you'll understand.

Yesterday, I took you to somebody who will appreciate you more & who can give you the love & affection that I can't.

I'll always remember you fondly. We were good together, but I've moved on.

Goodbye.

*sniff*

PS--Thanks for behaving & for not totally having a fit & breaking down when I set you up with your new owner--always a tense moment turning on an old game after a move!

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Dear Grand Lizard-
It's not you, it's me. I'm just not feeling the butterflies anymore. I need to move on. I know you'll understand.
Yesterday, I took you to somebody who will appreciate you more & who can give you the love & affection that I can't.
I'll always remember you fondly. We were good together, but I've moved on.
Goodbye.
*sniff*
PS--Thanks for behaving & for not totally having a fit & breaking down when I set you up with your new owner--always a tense moment turning on an old game after a move!

nice post, haha!
now, get that new owner in here, hehe
-mof

#171 9 years ago

I miss my GL...

#172 9 years ago

Damn it Jason! I wanted your cherry GL!

#173 9 years ago

I've still got mine for sale!

#174 9 years ago

Lucky for me, Jason's GL went to another friend of mine. As I STILL have not gotten mine rebuilt yet. Any takers in So Cal to do a pf swap for me? (please PM!)

The delay on the GL plastics is all on me as my life got smacked around a bit this summer. Picking the ball back up next week! Going to do a size and hole test with a set on what was Jason's old machine.

#175 9 years ago

As soon as Jeff gets over his mono, his broken wrist, & moves to his new home, he might find time to come here & gloat about his cherry new used GL. :]

A bonus: my delivery fee was the request of a mystery grab bag of high-falootin' beer. That Jeff sure knows his beers. Fine fine Belgian beer has been gracing my lips for the last week.

Jeff sure has good taste in pinball machines and beer...not so much in friends, though... ;P

Oh, he has a Road King & a High Speed for sale in Los Angeles. If anybody has interest in those, PM me & I'll hook you 2 up--let's not clutter up this grand Grand Lizard thread, though.

-J

#176 9 years ago

Well, lookie here!
Someone just popped his head into the top-100. Nice view eh?
https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100
-mof

GL-100.pngGL-100.png

#177 9 years ago

time to sell! "it's one of the top 100 pinball machines of all time".

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Someone just popped his head into the top-100. Nice view eh?

Well I'll be...
Just confirms what some of us already knew.

1 month later
#179 9 years ago

For those of you looking for the prototype backglass:
ebay.com link: Grand Lizard pinball machine backglass from 1986 by Williams

(Not mine.)

1 week later
#180 9 years ago

I just want to thank Pauz21. I finally had time to get his upper playfield overlay installed. It's not perfect, but a 1000% improvement. The original condition is up a few posts, here it is with the decal (the glare to the right of the guy's head is from the ceiling light):

updated.jpgupdated.jpg

Post edited by Applezz: clarify glare issue

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

I just want to thank Pauz21. I finally had time to get his upper playfield overlay installed. It's not perfect, but a 1000% improvement. The original condition is up a few posts, here it is with the decal (the glare to the right of the guy's head is from the ceiling light):

Pretty stoked that you are happy with it.
So many good people in pinball.
-mof

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

updated.jpg 240 KB

Thanks very much Applezz! That looks great and I really appreciate the PM. I've probably sold about 10 of these and I've tried to be honest about it's short comings with everyone. It's far from perfect but is a nice and very cheap improvement for a blown out players machine.

And out of all of the ones I've sold you're the first person to show me the finished product. Made me wonder if the others expected more than what they got. (Had lots of communication with them till the decal arrive then that's it.)

Glad to see a finished product other than my own. It's a bit of work to cut it all out and put it in position but you look like you did a fantastic job. Enjoy!

#183 9 years ago

If our local classic arcade ever gets rid of their GL I am going to have to buy one. I don't know if I could go too long without playing one

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

. It's a bit of work to cut it all out and put it in position but you look like you did a fantastic job. Enjoy!

Tell me about it. I went through 3 paper templates until I said screw it and stripped most of the field. It was easier to just run it under the ball guide on the left instead of cutting the curve into the material.
Overall process took me about 2.5 hours, but I did take time to replace all the rubber and bulbs while in there. That upper rubber is a bitch to replace when it goes.

#185 9 years ago

Now my machine is starting to look a little better I need to update a couple other items. I have the drop target decals, does anyone know where I can get decals for the spinner?

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

Now my machine is starting to look a little better I need to update a couple other items. I have the drop target decals, does anyone know where I can get decals for the spinner?

I don't have my machine anymore but if memory serves they aren't decals are they? Damn. I should have got a scan of those and made them with the decal too. Never thought of that.

#187 9 years ago

Just tuned up my Spinner.
Was able to get it to reach 86 spins... (and count them!)
-mof

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Was able to get it to reach 86 spins... (and count them!)
-mof

That would make for a nice score when the 2000 point light is on!

1 month later
#189 9 years ago

Just saw that PPS posted that a GL plastic set was coming soon (on the PPS forums). No dates given...
grandlizardplastics (1).jpggrandlizardplastics (1).jpg

#190 9 years ago

shipping to us next week ...

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

One of the best things one can do to a GL imo. Just the tiniest touch of Teflon gel lube makes the monkey go nuts!

2 weeks later
#192 9 years ago

Looks like the plastics are in stock now. They should also come with an extra set of slings.

#193 9 years ago

Got my plastics last week. No extra slings. But you do get the super rare (according to the 3 on ebay) keychain!

2 weeks later
#194 9 years ago

Here's some playing tips:

#195 9 years ago

Great video, thanks L8vid.

#196 9 years ago

167.JPG167.JPG166.JPG166.JPG

#197 9 years ago

wow nice original art with correct score and ball, player display locations. Is that available in a translight?

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

wow nice original art with correct score and ball, player display locations. Is that available in a translight?

No, it's glass.

#199 9 years ago

How do I get that bavkglass?

#200 9 years ago

For anyone interested in where to get a proto back glass like the one above bgresto.com is the producer of it. I emailed them about how to get one but I'm waiting on a response.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.