0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 33.
#101 10 years ago

Wondering...

How does your (D) target look? Have you replaced it?

Have you modded the target in any way to protect against further damage to the target or ball?

-mof

#102 10 years ago

excellent game

4 weeks later
#103 10 years ago

Hey!

*I* have a Grand Lizard too! Love love love it!
Got the prototype backglass, w/ the displays & lights shifted accordingly.
Light eggshell cracking on the pf paint, but otherwise full of awesome.
Love the sounds--love all of this era of Williams games, w/ the sounds shared w/ Robotron/Defender/etc. Catchy bass line hook. Jungle Lord & GL have the spaciest, zappiest jungle sounds ever!
Am forever struggling w/ the multiball kickout to keep the balls from draining right down the middle. I opened out the slot on that metal guide to get more bend/angle, but the balls still love to go pretty much down the middle--must be a magnet there or something... ;P

-Jason

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. put a yellow post protector behind on the 3rd target (D) to remove metal-on-metal action.

For the future, use 3/4 inch insulating foam from the hardware store for replacing the dry-rotted "sponge" behind drop targets. This insulation is used around doors/windows, etc. and has a peel-n-stick side - just cut to length and stick it on, the width fits perfectly.

-Nate

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Hey!
*I* have a Grand Lizard too! Love love love it!
Got the prototype backglass, w/ the displays & lights shifted accordingly.
Light eggshell cracking on the pf paint, but otherwise full of awesome.
Love the sounds--love all of this era of Williams games, w/ the sounds shared w/ Robotron/Defender/etc. Catchy bass line hook. Jungle Lord & GL have the spaciest, zappiest jungle sounds ever!
Am forever struggling w/ the multiball kickout to keep the balls from draining right down the middle. I opened out the slot on that metal guide to get more bend/angle, but the balls still love to go pretty much down the middle--must be a magnet there or something... ;P
-Jason

Go through this thread or search the topics. I brought this up a while ago. Ended up removing the rail screw, pushing the rail back a bit and tightening it back up. Not when it releases the multi-ball the balls clip the post at the end of the rail and land on the right flipper.

#106 10 years ago

PS--trivia question: in what other game does the Grand Lizard make an appearance?

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

For the future, use 3/4 inch insulating foam from the hardware store for replacing the dry-rotted "sponge" behind drop targets. This insulation is used around doors/windows, etc. and has a peel-n-stick side - just cut to length and stick it on, the width fits perfectly.
-Nate

Right, but this is about stopping the BALL from hitting the back of the target. =)
-mof

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Right, but this is about stopping the BALL from hitting the back of the target. =)

Oh, Gotcha!!

3 weeks later
#109 10 years ago

Hello!

I also got a GL about a month ago and love it. Various things to shoot for and just feels so rewarding saving a ball from draining with magna save .

Playfield is in bad condition especially cuz previous owner decided to paint over the upper playfield and let me tell you he is no Picasso hehe. My lizard is in pretty decent condition(minor warping and mainly just the lips to screw to ramp are broken). My father in law used to do orthotics so has a pretty cool vacuum former(pro one not DIY) and we've been throwing around the idea of reproducing the head. I'm less than a month to be a father so don't really have much time to work on my pins but I'll keep you guys posted once we get something going! I've also been playing around with the scan from the vpforums guy and will most likely print it all in 3M ControlTac vinyl as all my playfield has painted over wear.

#110 10 years ago

a scan of the backglass to make a translight would be cool.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

a scan of the backglass to make a translight would be cool.

Would this suffice? it's not the greatest resolution though:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5705

#112 10 years ago

it has a couple errors, I was just saying it would be nice to have a $40 translight replacement than a non-existing backglass replacement

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

PS--trivia question: in what other game does the Grand Lizard make an appearance?

That's correct! Inferno!!! Thanks for playing!

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8191

-Jason

#114 10 years ago

Dear friends of the Lizard,

I regretfully have to inform you that I am resigning my post in the GL Club. Sadness and a sense of emptiness has taken over as I sold my GL yesterday.

I am currently without pin. But will be meeting a new pinball machine tomorrow. (OK... different... not new.)

Know that our time together has been important to me. And I'll treasure all of you like family. (more or less)

With all that said... if any one ever needs one of the GL upper playfield decal I've created... (Not perfect but better than a bald play field) I still have the material on file to print.

You'll be happy to know I told the seller I expect random invites to play my old pin and have made a deal that if he ever sells it, I'm offered first crack at it.

Signed
PinLizzy Pauz

#115 10 years ago

I see a GL backglass posted Dec 7 on Mr Pinball for $75.
-mof

#116 10 years ago

yeah $400 Id like a translight option for alot less.

#117 10 years ago

Sorry to say that I am also soon leaving the club. My GL is in excellent condition and now in the marketplace. Had a lot of fun. Wish I had more room. Acquired a Fish Tales though so something had to give.

<<EDIT: Removed link. This is sold.>>

2 weeks later
#118 10 years ago

Watched the papa video.

http://papa.org/2012/12/03/grand-lizard-gameplay/

4 takeaways

1. get lime green flipper rubbers. Definitely cool.
2. That game is in "cheat mode" where you can cradle lower, and still use upper flipper. Ha !
3. owner of this game never set the right loop metal to feed into the flippers, it needs adjustment !
4. I love Grand Lizard !

-mof

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

2. That game is in "cheat mode" where you can cradle lower, and still use upper flipper. Ha !

He makes it look WAAAAAY easier than it actually is

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I was under the impression this is not a cheat, but the correct way to set up the flippers? I mean, why else have two switches at each flipper button? Besides, operating the flippers in this fashion isn't the easiest thing to do in the first place.

Btw, my GL went down with some irritating symptoms. Wish me luck.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

He makes it look WAAAAAY easier than it actually is

Agreed.

Well, he's nailing the multiball lock shot off the hinge every time. When I miss that shot, the odds of a drain are a bit high !
-mof

#122 10 years ago

Err, it eventually occurred to me that you might have been kidding around mof.
Oh well, my post might come in handy for nimrods like me someday.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

I was under the impression this is not a cheat, but the correct way to set up the flippers? I mean, why else have two switches at each flipper button? Besides, operating the flippers in this fashion isn't the easiest thing to do in the first place.
Btw, my GL went down with some irritating symptoms. Wish me luck.

I have mine adjusted to operate in tandem, as I reckon that is how the game was designed.
-mof

#124 10 years ago

Grand Lizard has some CraZZy sounds .. I'm Glad i had the Pleasure to Own , Shop & Bling 1 out .. I sold it to the Banker then he sold it to Doughslinger ( he still owns it ) . gOOd Thread , SPeD

#125 10 years ago

Lizard eyeball lights.
Do yours stay on all the time, and flash brightly during a ramp shot? Or are they off most of the time?

I put LEDs in just the head, and perhaps I put in the wrong type, and they stay lit all the time. It might be more cool this way.

-mof

#126 10 years ago

Mine just flashed when the ramp was shot or the bank for 4 drops were nailed.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Mine just flashed when the ramp was shot or the bank for 4 drops were nailed.

Thanks, that's what I thought was standard behavior...

Does anyone know what the bulb difference is to control this behavior?

-mof

#128 10 years ago

isnt it a resistor that needs to be removed? I like the eyes lit all the time, mine get brighter during the flash but if they are always lit it causes glare on the upper PF so I made a glare guard. Its because theyre LED and will light up with little voltage "ghosting" but because its a flasher they have a pre-flash current this makes them flash quickly.
IMG_5196_zpsb20b5d7e.jpgIMG_5196_zpsb20b5d7e.jpg
just traced the head onto some cardboard and cut it out, took some fine tuning so it didnt interfear with the wire form.
Bottom
IMG_5197_zpse3e361db.jpgIMG_5197_zpse3e361db.jpg
installed
IMG_5201_zps7fceca35.jpgIMG_5201_zps7fceca35.jpg
BEFORE glare guard
IMG_5188_zpsf210a423.jpgIMG_5188_zpsf210a423.jpg
AFTER glare guard
IMG_5205_zps32aedc72.jpgIMG_5205_zps32aedc72.jpg

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

isnt it a resistor that needs to be removed? I like the eyes lit all the time, mine get brighter during the flash but if they are always lit it causes glare on the upper PF so I made a glare guard. Its because theyre LED and will light up with little voltage "ghosting" but because its a flasher they have a pre-flash current this makes them flash quickly.

That's right -- I forgot I put some rolled up paper towel in electrical tape in front of each flasher, so it wouldn't get direct line of sight to reflect...

Your idea is much better and more complete. I'll give it a shot soon. Great idea! I was just thinking -- perhaps ideally the cardboard would be white on the inside to reflect more light back up and out the eyes. (not that LEDs need help)
-mof

#130 10 years ago

I thought red plexiglass like the tounge might look good, lighting the tounge and adding red ambience since I have red LED's around that area but I just worked with what I had. TY. My upper PF is badly worn/touched up and coverd in mylar half circles by previous owner/s so maybe less light in that area isnt a bad thing.

#131 10 years ago

Finally beat Barry Ousler's factory setting high score in the 1st place spot. I'm glad my Grand Lizard didn't sell.

#132 10 years ago

Posted these in a different thread. But thought I'd pretty up the place...

SAM_0251.JPGSAM_0251.JPG SAM_0259.JPGSAM_0259.JPG SAM_0253.JPGSAM_0253.JPG SAM_0261.JPGSAM_0261.JPG
#133 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have mine adjusted to operate in tandem, as I reckon that is how the game was designed.
-mof

Yeah if you press it half way it should only trigger the lower flipper and full should do both, pretty standard. He does make it look super easy cuz at least for me is really hard to release the button just enough to release the upper ones without triggering the lower.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from Jormungardian:

Yeah if you press it half way it should only trigger the lower flipper and full should do both, pretty standard. He does make it look super easy cuz at least for me is really hard to release the button just enough to release the upper ones without triggering the lower.

I had no idea this kind of action in pinball is "standard"... Is it?

I'll post a thread and ask the forum experts.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-how-should-flipper-buttons-be-adjusted

-mof

#135 10 years ago

I've got two extremely nice Grand Lizards sitting in my garage right now... and a NOS playfield picked up from Allentown last year!
Game #2 is my buddy's. I found one for him a couple of weeks ago. It'll be leaving this week.

I had never even played one until last year. The sounds and gameplay pulled me in right away. Cool game!

#136 10 years ago

she looks high as a kite! easily talked into sluty poses on a pin

#137 10 years ago

not knocking her shes a hottie and if thats your gf or wife U lucky bastard! I think they're selfies.
Native American Indian?

#138 10 years ago

Does anybody know where to get spinner stickers?

#139 10 years ago

Girlfriend. She's Gypsy.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Girlfriend. She's Gypsy.

I think the PC term is ROMA

Good on ya!

2 weeks later
#141 10 years ago

Folks, one of the beloved creators of Grand Lizard (Barry Oursler) & his wife needs our help. Please see the following if you haven't already.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-barry-oursler#post-1413180

2 months later
#142 10 years ago

Hello fellow GL lovers! This is my first public "hint" at a project I have been working on over the past couple of years. These are done with permission by arguably the best repro artists out there and will be available through Bay Area Amusements by...??? No idea, and not my place to say. I just wanted to let you know that there is some GL love coming our way! (I purposely messed the photo up as the colors are not finished and I didn't want this pic to be used for a critique of the final product in any way)GLPlastique.JPGGLPlastique.JPG

3 weeks later
#143 9 years ago

Come on, dish, man, dish!

Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Hello fellow GL lovers! This is my first public "hint" at a project I have been working on over the past couple of years.

#144 9 years ago

Repro plastics! Nice!

#145 9 years ago

But man oh man... I'd love to see a repro playfield.

#146 9 years ago

Yeah, I got no information whatsoever about pfs. Nothing that I can help with either. I had mine go through a major restore with Captain Neo a couple years back.

Not too much to dish - I did some fitting tests today for the plastics and things are moving forward. No idea on an eta when these will end up at BAA, but I actually held some in my hands today so its becoming a reality!

I bought a promo plastic on eBay so it could be included in the set (2x) for everyone. I also had extra room for an extra set of slings and lane guides. I hope folks dig it.

All Hail The Grand Lizard!

#147 9 years ago

Hello all! New member here and buying my first pin tomorrow and it's actually yes... A Grand Lizard! Can't wait! I'll report back with pics as soon as I get her home

#148 9 years ago

Welcome, Grand Lizard was my first pin also. I have five now. I love GL, upper and lower playfield, drop targets and magna save. Great game

#149 9 years ago

Thanks! Well purchase went well and got it home late tonight will be setting it up Monday. It's working but needs some TLC. Would be interested in plastics, upper PF decal. Will try to get pics , video up soon.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from OpFlash:

Thanks! Well purchase went well and got it home late tonight will be setting it up Monday. It's working but needs some TLC. Would be interested in plastics, upper PF decal. Will try to get pics , video up soon.

Congrats. Hope I can help with the play field.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.