0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 33.
#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

Game over game play...

Any remaining locked balls are ejected at the beginning of the enter high score initials sequence (as opposed to waiting for the match sequence). Flippers remain enabled until the sequence times out.

That’s cool. I wonder if other games allow for this?

#1402 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

Game over game play...

Any remaining locked balls are ejected at the beginning of the enter high score initials sequence (as opposed to waiting for the match sequence). Flippers remain enabled until the sequence times out.

Check your game ROMs for checksums - this looks like a software issue.

1 week later
#1403 1 year ago

Hey guys, I am getting ready repaint my cabinet, and I have a simple question. Is the original artwork done in green/orange, or green/yellow? My old cabinet definitely looked green/orange before I sanded it down, and it looks this way in on-line pics to. BUT, the stencils from Pinball Pimp are saying it should be green/yellow. Now confused.

Am I missing something here? Might the original yellow have turned orange do to the red fading out? Or is it truly orange? Just want to make sure the right colors are going on.

Thanks
Bill

#1404 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Hey guys, I am getting ready repaint my cabinet, and I have a simple question. Is the original artwork done in green/orange, or green/yellow? My old cabinet definitely looked green/orange before I sanded it down, and it looks this way in on-line pics to. BUT, the stencils from Pinball Pimp are saying it should be green/yellow. Now confused.
Am I missing something here? Might the original yellow have turned orange do to the red fading out? Or is it truly orange? Just want to make sure the right colors are going on.
Thanks
Bill

I would call it a golden yellow.

#1405 1 year ago

Factory runs varied as well.
Plus the paints have probably darkened with age. (When you sanded out the original paint, you probably noticed the color as much brighter as you got past the surface paint?)

Mine is definitely more orange than yellow; if I was repainting and didn’t get a custom color mixed I’d probably lean toward a “harvest gold” type color over most pre-mixed orange paints.

#1406 1 year ago

Well here is how it turned out. Based on research, it should be pretty close. Thanks for the assistance.

This is a top down full restoration that is currently listed in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

20220730_192341 (resized).jpg20220730_192341 (resized).jpg20220730_192346 (resized).jpg20220730_192346 (resized).jpg20220730_192352 (resized).jpg20220730_192352 (resized).jpg
#1407 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Well here is how it turned out. Based on research, it should be pretty close. Thanks for the assistance.
This is a top down full restoration that is currently listed in the marketplace if anyone is interested.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What was your experience like doing the Stencils on this? Any tips to make it easier? I need to redo my cabinet at some point.

#1408 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What was your experience like doing the Stencils on this? Any tips to make it easier? I need to redo my cabinet at some point.

No problem.
- Strip all of the hardware. Removing the side rails is optional.
- Use Bondo or similar to fix any big dings and nicks. Sand with 80 grit and use a random orbital sander. I greatly prefer a pneumatic cause its easier to use that a bulkier electric one.
- Sand the entire cabinet to bare wood with 80 grit. Do not leave any original paint, or the stencil will pull that old paint off and you will have a mess.
- Final sand the cabinet with 220 grit to remove all of the swirl marks.
- If you don't want the wood grain to show through the paint, then prime the cabinet and sand smooth. If you want the egrain to show, do not prime.
- Paint the entire cabinet in the color you prefer. I prefer oil based paints because they are durable. I also greatly prefer to spray them with a small pneumatic HVLP gun like below. I guess you could use spray cans for the base coat, but you will not be able to avoid the striping in the finish.
- Once the base-coat is dry, apply your stencils according to their instructions.
- This is optional, but for the absolute best finish, I would use a tinted primer that matches the color of paint you are going to apply. Lay down a very fine coat of primer prior to the paint.. This will reduce the number of coats needed for the color you are spraying on. Ideally, you want to to apply as few coats as possible while getting the ideal coverage.
- Its okay to use spray cans for the color, but DO NOT USE fast drying spray paint. Slower is better here because you don't want the strings of paint that will occur if its drying to fast.
- Spray on the color for you first color, and apply as many coats as needed to get good coverage.
- Remove the stencil AS SOON AS YOU CAN, and HAVE A HELPER available to assist. The stencil will tear in certain areas and you will need three hands to avoid the stencil whipping back on the paint.
- After the first color is fully dry, apply the additional stencils as needed and repaint the process.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

3 weeks later
#1409 1 year ago

Bringing one home now!

20220826_095020 (resized).jpg20220826_095020 (resized).jpg
#1410 1 year ago

Howdy all! Is there a way to adjust the volume on the game?

#1411 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Howdy all! Is there a way to adjust the volume on the game?

Inside cab sound pot turn it

#1412 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Inside cab sound pot turn it

Found it! Thanks.

Has anyone tried upgrading the speakers in theirs? Is it worth it? Thanks!

#1413 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Found it! Thanks.
Has anyone tried upgrading the speakers in theirs? Is it worth it? Thanks!

You could change them but I wouldn’t spend too much on them almost any car speaker with correct ohms would be better than stock.
Best improvement on this game is a good Quality leds In warm white for GI and back box.
Clean all drop target so they work properly
And the game will be a blast!!!

#1414 1 year ago

Dup post

#1415 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

You could change them but I wouldn’t spend too much on them almost any car speaker with correct ohms would be better than stock.

The sound amplifier built into the game is not good enough to make better speakers worth it (in my opinion).
If you want better sound, hook up an external powered subwoofer to the cabinet speaker leads.
The extra bass is kinda cool.

#1416 1 year ago

Really enjoying this game! Any pointers on gameplay?

20220829_183352 (resized).jpg20220829_183352 (resized).jpg
#1417 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Really enjoying this game! Any pointers on gameplay?
[quoted image]

Up top all day. Also, if you don’t know how, you need to learn how to stage flip, this will allow you to easily blow up the game in MB.

#1418 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Any pointers on gameplay?

Build that Bonus X, start multi ball, and rip that spinner.

The main bank of drops up top isn’t really where it’s at so much as the turnaround shot.

GL is a GREAT Sys11 game!

#1419 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Build that Bonus X, start multi ball, and rip that spinner.
The main bank of drops up top isn’t really where it’s at so much as the turnaround shot.
GL is a GREAT Sys11 game!

Many thanks yall!

#1420 1 year ago

I don't think either is tremendously productive on mine. But having said that, it REALLY depends on how each GL game is set up. I've played a bunch on them and they are all different.

On mine, in a 3-ball multiball with a flashing spinner, I can get over 150K on a solid left flipper rip. The turnaround shot is WAY too hard to make consistently on my machine. (5.5 mil is GC). On some GL machines, you can roll the game using the turnaround shot... not on mine, set up evil, PAPA style.
9CB542A6-2F00-457C-8CBE-BE996836E1CA (resized).jpeg9CB542A6-2F00-457C-8CBE-BE996836E1CA (resized).jpeg

#1421 1 year ago

Flipper tips should be right over the holes?

20220907_174658 (resized).jpg20220907_174658 (resized).jpg
#1422 1 year ago

No, those are actually "toothpick holes". You place a toothpick in the hole and let the flipper rest against it, then tighten.

Now, whether you do it with the flipper rubber on or off should probably be decided on a game by game basis.

Added 19 months ago:

However, Data East alignment holes seem to follow your assumption. Those align with the center of the bat, unlike Bally and Williams.

1 week later
#1423 1 year ago

Hey guys, sign me up.
Went to Pinfest in australia with six machines hoping to sell one. It didn't sell but i played my first ever game on Grand Lizard and fell in love. Despite being told no way the owner would sell, he gave me the don't want to sell price and i had to have it.

It will slide in tween Sorcerer and Lost World. I love my single level B/W's.

I'll get some more pics when i unload it, but here it is being played at the event.

gl1 (resized).jpggl1 (resized).jpg

Players condition, but if i love it as much as i think i will, i'll get someone to fix that.

Scanned through most pages on the thread and see that outside edge has a hardtop, has anyone used one of these and have a report? My playfield is pretty good from a cursory inspection, although the top playfield is duller than the bottom. Tossing up tween a protector, hardtop or maybe resto.

#1424 1 year ago

I have Hardtops on three games, but not specifically my GL.
I think they play great, but I know some other folks swear that they don't feel right.

#1425 1 year ago

Thanks, i've seen people rubbish protectors too, but i can't tell the difference.

#1426 1 year ago

Protectors and hardtops are very different than an original. Not saying they are better or worse, they ARE different. I don’t care for them myself but I say have at it if you like the way it makes the game play. Hardtop is more work than a playfield swap, some people incorrectly assume it’s easier.

#1427 1 year ago

Cancel the question. I have it home now and it's gorgeous. Cab only.

gl2 (resized).jpggl2 (resized).jpg

gl3 (resized).jpggl3 (resized).jpg

gl4 (resized).jpggl4 (resized).jpg

#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Protectors and hardtops are very different than an original. No saying they are better or worse, they ARE different. I don’t care for them myself but I say have at it if you like the way it makes the game play. Hardtop is more work than a playfield swap, some people incorrectly assume it’s easier.

Luckily they exist for really roached playfields and for titles that there isn’t a replacement option for a new playfield.

#1429 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I have it home now and it's gorgeous.

Wow, you never see upper playfields that intact. Keep that baby waxed up and preserved!
Would actually be a *very* good restoration candidate. The west is so minimal, wouldn’t take a lot to get it looking mint and then clear coat it.

Very, very nice example.

#1430 1 year ago

It's mylared, looks like it was done new.

#1431 1 year ago

I’ve never seen one with factory mylar top and bottom! Nice!!

1 week later
#1432 1 year ago

Hello fellow Grand Lizard men (and women),

I just joined the club this weekend and have a couple of questions:

Question 1: The right gate into the top PF area; Is that a 1-way gate? mine acts as a 1 way gate but seems like it should be 2-way. (otherwise it creates a ball trap.)
See photos. In the last photo it looks to me like both ball guides need to be closer to the corner post. Can anyone confirm?

Question2: Is there another art package for the plastics? Is BGresto the option for the Faris BG? I love Pythons's Art - just not on this game...

Thanks!,
Bob

302 (resized).jpg302 (resized).jpg303 (resized).jpg303 (resized).jpg304 (resized).jpg304 (resized).jpg301 (resized).jpg301 (resized).jpg
#1433 1 year ago

That metal ball guide on the right side is bent inward very badly. It's a two way gate. The shot is collectible in either direction.

Can't tell from picture... but the gate may also be bent. Looks like you need to bend that ball guide out so it touches the rubber post next to it.
f1daa3f3eae04930e5e3a1fd90f7a6bdd6fd5b4f (resized).jpgf1daa3f3eae04930e5e3a1fd90f7a6bdd6fd5b4f (resized).jpg

#1434 1 year ago

Yes 2way gate/switch

357F84E5-98AB-4CDF-9713-B3792CE555EB (resized).jpeg357F84E5-98AB-4CDF-9713-B3792CE555EB (resized).jpeg
#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Question2: Is there another art package for the plastics? Is BGresto the option for the Faris BG? I love Pythons's Art - just not on this game...

I do not know of a set of plastics that match the original backglass, though I'm sure if there was a run of these printed they would sell.
Does anyone else have any different information?

#1436 1 year ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I do not know of a set of plastics that match the original backglass, though I'm sure if there was a run of these printed they would sell.
Does anyone else have any different information?

There are like 3 fanmade sets around still to be printed, mine, pinfatuated, and... That third one.

1 week later
#1437 1 year ago

Potentially getting into this club. I found a pf plastic set, but is there a repo for the lizard head?

#1438 1 year ago

There was a lizard on market here just the other day. May still be listed.

#1439 1 year ago

Quick silly question. Having a issue with the board in GL, and come to find out, the whole board is mounted upside down compared to all my other system 11 games. Was this standard for GL? Causing no trouble, just thought it was strange, LOL

#1440 1 year ago

All system 11 nothing games had the boards mounted like that.

#1441 1 year ago

So if I was interested in doing a scratch build of Grand Lizard, does anyone know if the layout exists as a cad, or high res image somewhere?

#1442 1 year ago
Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

So if I was interested in doing a scratch build of Grand Lizard, does anyone know if the layout exists as a cad, or high res image somewhere?

The playfield?
Maybe you could buy a Hardtop and reverse engineer a blank piece of plywood to install under it.

#1443 1 year ago
Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

Might try pinball vault.

#1444 1 year ago

Helped a local guy repair a pretty beat up playfield as best we could. Still needs a little finish work and clear coat but it’s much improved.

37CDD218-50AB-4A52-829D-8AA78B8582D0 (resized).jpeg37CDD218-50AB-4A52-829D-8AA78B8582D0 (resized).jpegED72D71D-E52C-498F-9C58-5DD62C067FE2 (resized).jpegED72D71D-E52C-498F-9C58-5DD62C067FE2 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#1445 1 year ago

anyone have a rubber list for this game? i would rather buy local, but i need to know sizes and cant find that info anywhere.

#1446 1 year ago
Quoted from DannyDodge:

anyone have a rubber list for this game? i would rather buy local, but i need to know sizes and cant find that info anywhere.

Bottom of page 46 in the manual, available from IPDB.

#1447 1 year ago

Anyone make a clear back ramp for this? Wonder how it would look ?

#1448 1 year ago

Come play GL at Pincinnati this weekend.
You will not be disappointed!

6AFDE301-DE97-47FB-A63D-57DBE47535AA (resized).jpeg6AFDE301-DE97-47FB-A63D-57DBE47535AA (resized).jpeg82EA80B1-05EF-4111-B049-725DF8DEC45A (resized).jpeg82EA80B1-05EF-4111-B049-725DF8DEC45A (resized).jpeg
#1449 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anyone make a clear back ramp for this? Wonder how it would look ?

Freeplay says he wants to get to work on GL ramps this month. It’s my understanding he’s going to do them in green but knowing him he’ll probably do a clear option as well.

#1450 1 year ago

Freeplay says he wants to get to work on GL ramps this month. It’s my understanding he’s going to do them in green but knowing him he’ll probably do a clear option as well.

Is there art underneath them all the way?

Looks like bare wood on the right hand side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.