0826231214a (resized).jpg
0826231250 (resized).jpg
0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 33.
#601 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Does anyone have any custom pricing/instructions cards for GL other than what is on Pinball Rebel?

grandlizard (resized).jpggrandlizard (resized).jpg

#602 7 years ago

Took file to local Staples they put it on glossy photo for 3 bucks. Not my creation, so am claiming no credit for making these as well. They are the best available I think

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Took file to local Staples they put it on glossy photo for 3 bucks. Not my creation, so am claiming no credit for making these as well. They are the best available I think

Yea those are the ones on Pinball Rebel. They are good, I was just looking for something different.

#604 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I made my own custom ones from some black and white ones i found on the net, but unfortunatly i did not save the file, but they look like this:

Hey, nice to see people are still using my GL pricing/instruction cards! I made those like 18+ years ago. Looks like the links out there to the TIFF files are broken.... I'll see if I can dig up my originals and post them.
Personally, I prefer to see B&W cards on 80's and earlier pins. Glossy color photo creations just look out of place to me....

#605 7 years ago

I wish CPR would do a playfield for GL...

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Hey, nice to see people are still using my GL pricing/instruction cards! I made those like 18+ years ago. Looks like the links out there to the TIFF files are broken.... I'll see if I can dig up my originals and post them.
Personally, I prefer to see B&W cards on 80's and earlier pins. Glossy color photo creations just look out of place to me....

I have had them in my GL for years, thanks for sharing them

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Hey, nice to see people are still using my GL pricing/instruction cards! I made those like 18 years ago. Looks like the links out there to the TIFF files are broken.... I'll see if I can dig up my originals and post them.

Put the old 300-DPI TIFF files up here:

http://scoresaves.com/pinball/gl_inst.tif
http://scoresaves.com/pinball/gl_price.tif

And attached PNG versions to this post.

gl_inst.pnggl_inst.png

gl_price.pnggl_price.png

#608 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

...And i want some color, so i changed them to my liking

#609 7 years ago

Anyone else notice there is a playfield protector available for Grand Lizard now? Very tempting, but not sure I'm up for removing my mylar anytime soon. If anyone gets one of these I'd love to hear about it.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/VU7Ii-7DVk67NeY-92Fnig?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Grand%20Lizard%20%7C%201986

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

...And i want some color, so i changed them to my liking

I kinda like what you did. Matching colors is tricky though.... I bought one of those Pantone Color Cue gadgets to match color/paint, because I'm pretty bad at trying to match by eye.

#611 7 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a decent quality scan or pic of the upper playfield? My neighbor's GL upper playfield is completely worn and I'd like to print him a replacement decal for that area.

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Anyone else notice there is a playfield protector available for Grand Lizard now? Very tempting, but not sure I'm up for removing my mylar anytime soon.

Grand Lizard was my first playfield mylar removal. Heat gun and lots of Goo-Gone (this was long before the freeze method). Actually, I don't think using freeze spray would have worked all that well... probably would have lifted more paint in this case. I only lost a few tiny specs here and there. Took a long time to clean up the glue though! Wish I'd known about the flour/alcohol trick back then.

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Grand Lizard was my first playfield mylar removal. Heat gun and lots of Goo-Gone (this was long before the freeze method). Actually, I don't think using freeze spray would have worked all that well... probably would have lifted more paint in this case. I only lost a few tiny specs here and there. Took a long time to clean up the glue though! Wish I'd known about the flour/alcohol trick back then.

Yep, i did the same, heatgun worked wonders, but i was forced to use copious amounts of highest % cleaning isapropanol and rub my fingers to the bone to get glue to get off, ive removed mylar like 4 times but my GL was the first one that behaved like that LOL

Luckily i got almost no piant lift at all, just two spots on the black parts.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Anyone else notice there is a playfield protector available for Grand Lizard now? Very tempting, but not sure I'm up for removing my mylar anytime soon. If anyone gets one of these I'd love to hear about it.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/VU7Ii-7DVk67NeY-92Fnig?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Grand%20Lizard%20%7C%201986

Huh, could have used that last year, now i have already coated my playfield.

#615 7 years ago

I used the freeze method on mine. Wasn't fun and didn't work well for me.

#616 7 years ago

I used the freeze method and it worked well with very minimal paint loss. Just installed the upper playfield decal sold by Pauz21 in another thread. Installing a Playfield protector now while cleaning... Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spinner- did a quick search online and didn't have any luck... alternatively does anyone have a clean scan of both sides?? Much thanks

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from penguin22:

I used the freeze method and it worked well with very minimal paint loss. Just installed the upper playfield decal sold by Pauz21 in another thread. Installing a Playfield protector now while cleaning... Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spinner- did a quick search online and didn't have any luck... alternatively does anyone have a clean scan of both sides?? Much thanks

I have this, taken from a spinner gif i found on the net.

Just do some work with a paintprogram and you should be home free.

spinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpgspinner.gif_snapshot_00.00_[2016.10.27_21.35.13] (resized).jpg

#618 7 years ago

Hi volkdrive......I made one a year ago,maybe you like it.

final GRAND LIZARD instr.card2.jpgfinal GRAND LIZARD instr.card2.jpg

#619 7 years ago

That's nice work!

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from penguin22:

So you received it ok? Good news. Install went well? Good stuff. Hope you're happy with it. It's far from perfect but a good cover up for s trashed playfield. Would love to see a pic.

#621 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

I wish they would do one for the upper play field. Mine has some wear and I'm now regularly waxing it with Carnauba wax. But mylar for upper play field only would have been sweet. Not sure why mine has mylar on the bottom play field but not the top where there tends to be a lot of wear in a very small PF area.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

I wish they would do one for the upper play field. Mine has some wear and I'm now regularly waxing it with Carnauba wax. But mylar for upper play field only would have been sweet. Not sure why mine has mylar on the bottom play field but not the top where there tends to be a lot of wear in a very small PF area.

Yup, that's why so many of them have messed up upper playfields. The factory mylar was just like that, really stupid. You can by mylar in sheets and cut your own, which is what I ended up doing. But if I had known there would be a full playfield protector coming out so soon after I definitely wouldn't have.

#623 7 years ago

Where is this protector available from?

#624 7 years ago

Playfield-protectors.com

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Yup, that's why so many of them have messed up upper playfields. The factory mylar was just like that, really stupid. You can by mylar in sheets and cut your own, which is what I ended up doing. But if I had known there would be a full playfield protector coming out so soon after I definitely wouldn't have.

I thought about buying the new protector and just cutting it in half, but that would be a waste. My GL is no longer on a route so with HUO I don't think the wear and tear is anything that prudent waxing won't protect. I have in the last few months replaced almost every circuit board, to include MPU, power board, sound board, PinScore LED display, and put in new speakers. (Still have original flipper control board.) Pinball PCB had a few System 11 boards in stock and it came plug and play for GL; now it's like having a brand new pin. The old MPU was having issues with the battery pack and adjust errors. I thought fine, I could install a lithium battery and hope for a few more years, or just say screw it and buy a new MPU.

#627 7 years ago

Finally got around to installing the upper playfield decal I've had laying around for 3 years and 3 days... Spent a good six hours on the ol' Grand Lizard. My upper playfield was beat to shit, though not the worst example I've seen...
1105161707 (resized).jpg1105161707 (resized).jpg

Partially torn down...
1112161428 (resized).jpg1112161428 (resized).jpg

Also grabbed a playfield protector to install after the decal was installed. I used it as a template to cut out the decal for the cave.
1112161432 (resized).jpg1112161432 (resized).jpg

My pattern next to the original template.
1112161527 (resized).jpg1112161527 (resized).jpg

When I originally got the decal, parts of it lifted from the backing from being shipped rolled up in a mailing tube. After years of sitting, the lifted areas had zero adhesion. This resulted in a few wrinkles after application, but still a thousand times better than bare wood! And the playfield protector will give a perfectly smooth surface. Anyway, right after installation...
1112161730_HDR (resized).jpg1112161730_HDR (resized).jpg

After the playfield protector...
1112161839a (resized).jpg1112161839a (resized).jpg
1112161839 (resized).jpg1112161839 (resized).jpg

She's a completely different animal now! Plays fast and smooth, and now she looks good! Second playfield protector I've installed. First was on Gorgar. I'm really digging 'em!

1 month later
#628 7 years ago

Apologies if this has been covered. I'm doing some touch ups on a GL and was wondering if anyone has recreated the artwork for the circular "target" that went over the Magna Save hands. They are Mylar stuck over the hands. Pic attached.

magna save (resized).jpegmagna save (resized).jpeg

#629 7 years ago

I dont think so, although it would be good to have them out there, if people need them.

#630 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Ok, here is a low resolution mock-up of the the new Paul Faris Grand Lizard plastic set.

It was designed to match the art of the prototype backglass and the production playfield artwork.

I was finally able to make time yesterday to meet with and drop off the art at a place to digitize the art. I should have the files within 2 weeks and keep moving forward from there.

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

I was finally able to make time yesterday to meet with and drop off the art at a place to digitize the art. I should have the files within 2 weeks and keep moving forward from there.

Great news! Would really love a plastics set that fits the playfield better. Already have the Faris backglass so this would be the icing on the cake. Keep us posted.

#632 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Nice, you seem to have better luck then me to get plastics printed, i dunno what my printguy is doing. :rolleyes:

At this rate im probably have to just give the set away to everyone on the list so they can print it themselves.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Oh, btw, there is a small issue with the new translite, or more the GI lighting in the backbox, two of the lamps that lights the sword the hero holds up in the face of the Lizard on the old Python backglass will now instead blink the nose of the Lizard on the Faris Backglass, looks abit odd with a blinking light there.
Is there any way to fix that so it just stays on?

Hey Luzur,
You ever figure anything out for this? I'm getting a proto backglass as well and am worried about the location of the lights.

#634 7 years ago

Luzur, when I line up my printer, perhaps I can have both our jobs printed at the same time, if you are having trouble? Right now, I'm not sure if I will go with a US or European printer. - I have leads for both. I need to evaluate the quality (by reputation and prior work, likely) and pricing each way. I will only take financial risk/responsibility for my project though.

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Hey Luzur,
You ever figure anything out for this? I'm getting a proto backglass as well and am worried about the location of the lights.

Sadly, i just went with green LED's on mine, looks abit odd though with his nose blinking green...

Quoted from Pinfatuated:

Luzur, when I line up my printer, perhaps I can have both our jobs printed at the same time, if you are having trouble? Right now, I'm not sure if I will go with a US or European printer. - I have leads for both. I need to evaluate the quality (by reputation and prior work, likely) and pricing each way. I will only take financial risk/responsibility for my project though.

Well, thats nice of you actually, i'll have to keep you in mind if my guy doesnt get going after christmas (besides we where gonna do a trade anyway). Im gonna call my guy again next week and hear whats taking so long, maybe i can rattle the machinery on again, who knows LOL

1 month later
#636 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Finally got around to installing the upper playfield decal I've had laying around for 3 years and 3 days... Spent a good six hours on the ol' Grand Lizard. My upper playfield was beat to shit, though not the worst example I've seen...

Partially torn down...

Also grabbed a playfield protector to install after the decal was installed. I used it as a template to cut out the decal for the cave.

My pattern next to the original template.

When I originally got the decal, parts of it lifted from the backing from being shipped rolled up in a mailing tube. After years of sitting, the lifted areas had zero adhesion. This resulted in a few wrinkles after application, but still a thousand times better than bare wood! And the playfield protector will give a perfectly smooth surface. Anyway, right after installation...

After the playfield protector...

She's a completely different animal now! Plays fast and smooth, and now she looks good! Second playfield protector I've installed. First was on Gorgar. I'm really digging 'em!

Looks good. I haven't been in this thread for a long time so I'm just seeing this. Don't come in here a lot cause I haven't owned the game in years. Good job. Unfortunately, my decal doesn't go down low enough to cover that wear under your spinner. Strange place for wear though. I've never seen one worn there.

2 weeks later
#637 7 years ago

Ive been thinking, have anyone ever found a good topper for this game yet? except the flame light one that Jeff found (http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/pics.html which was pretty rad)?

Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left?

Quick mock-up:

GLhead+rampsversion1 (resized).jpgGLhead+rampsversion1 (resized).jpg

Or does that just look derp? Those big black empty spaces kinda irks me all day long, also, the game should have some sort of...things on the wall around the playfield too, like jungle or temple ruins.

#638 7 years ago

Not sure about that design Luzur.

As for toppers, I was eyeing up one of these below. The first one is made of solid rubber and is 11" tall. Dimensions for the second one are 13"Wx7½"Dx7½"H and it's made out of a resin and weighs 2 lbs.

lizard 2 (resized).jpglizard 2 (resized).jpg
lizard (resized).jpglizard (resized).jpg

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ive been thinking, have anyone ever found a good topper for this game yet? except the flame light one that Jeff found (http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/pics/pics.html which was pretty rad)?
Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left

I cheated and got rubber reptiles from Amazon and eBay!!!

IMG_1186 (resized).JPGIMG_1186 (resized).JPG

IMG_1187 (resized).JPGIMG_1187 (resized).JPG

#640 7 years ago

Heh, nice touches actually, personally im gonna try out Jeff's idea with a LED flame torch.

Quoted from djreddog:

Not sure about that design Luzur.

Well, everybody feel free to come up with some nice, im open for suggestions.

#641 7 years ago

It would be nice if we had more options but heck, nobody even makes a lizard head replacement for the PF. It's also impossible to find a bad ass lizard to use as a topper.

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

It would be nice if we had more options but heck, nobody even makes a lizard head replacement for the PF. It's also impossible to find a bad ass lizard to use as a topper.

Im not so sure about that bro

415V-mqQq9L._SY445_ (resized).jpg415V-mqQq9L._SY445_ (resized).jpg

#643 7 years ago

I put a big dewback on mine, but alot of my basement is Starwars

20170211_091501 (resized).jpg20170211_091501 (resized).jpg

#644 7 years ago

Well, while im pondering the ramp issue, i started on another mod.

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg

#645 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Also, those black ramps, anyone have a idea what would be fitting in those? i was thinking like, some sort of sticker maybe the right arm of the lizard in the right ramp, and a wooden/stone bridge in the left?
Quick mock-up:

Or does that just look derp? Those big black empty spaces kinda irks me all day long, also, the game should have some sort of...things on the wall around the playfield too, like jungle or temple ruins.

What about some vines stickers on the ramps, and you see the stuff under them?

1 week later
#646 7 years ago

Ok, an updated version 2 of the plastics set have been mailed to me now from the printer, and if i (and you who ordered a set) dont find any errors on them its going up for production, finally.

#648 7 years ago

Awesome! I love those sideblades, Luzur

1 week later
#649 7 years ago

Side blades for GL would be sweet. Speaking of upper PF wear, I can't say mine was too bad when I picked it up last year. It had of course been routed but by the time I got it, the GL had been relegated to back room storage due to some MPU problems and dead switches that were easy to fix, but nobody seemed bothered to do for an mid 80's game.

I had some wear spots on the upper PF but nothing like the bare surface of so many GL's. I cleaned and then carnauba waxed the PF, then put some strategically placed pieces of mylar on the one wear spot that had eaten into the PF, and then along a few lanes that were starting to lose paint. I would have preferred a proper restoration but this was easy and worked out fine. I thought about auto clear coat but the mylar worked fine and is doing the job. We almost broke the top 100 on Pinside several weeks ago. I think GL went to 101 but is up a little higher now.

#650 7 years ago

I did a bunch of stuff to my Grand Lizard over the last few months. Everything is documented on my website. Maybe I did something someone else will find useful. I also took a lot of tear-down pics, so if you're looking for a detail, maybe I can help. Click...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/repair/repair.html

001 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,639 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.