0826231250c (resized).jpg
0826231250e (resized).jpg
0826231251 (resized).jpg
0826231250_HDR (resized).jpg
0826231251b (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #99 Fine Tuning Tips Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #100 More Fine Tuning Posted by mof (10 years ago)

Post #194 Playing Tips Video Posted by L8vid (9 years ago)

Post #196 BGResto Proto Backglass. Posted by RustyLizard (9 years ago)

Post #510 Possible Buzz Fix Posted by FLASHBALL (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 33.
#1 10 years ago

Why not? Anything & everything about Grand Lizard. I'll add any useful links to this first post as they are pointed out in subsequent posts. If you own, or have previously owned, a GL I'm sure we'd like to hear from you!

With only 2750 confirmed units produced, GL is not a pin I see very often. In fact, the first & only one I've ever seen is the one I bought on April 7, 2012 from a fellow pinsider. Gameplay videos & a love for system11 pins convinced me I had to have one. It has quickly become one of my favorite titles.

General info, manuals, etc available at:
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=grand+lizard&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1070

I am in no way affiliated with any pinball parts vendors. Having said that, here's some GL specific parts links that may be useful to you:
http://www.marcospec.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=2C82EF5F228A0CEBC50BF06133B56438.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=grand+lizard
http://ksarcade.net/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=30&q=grand+lizard
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts3.htm#368

mandrill.jpgmandrill.jpg

Professional gameplay vid:
http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/grand-lizard/

Description of rules:
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/grandlizard/rules/rules.html

Instruction/Score Cards:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/

Post edited by SPeD66 : links added

#2 10 years ago

I don't own one but my wife has called me a baboon's ass, so I hope I can get in on this.

Looks like a great game. I almost moved on one but lost the nerve and saved up my dough for a TFTC. Still would love one, especially if it had the pre-production back glass.

#3 10 years ago

eds_gl.JPGeds_gl.JPG

#4 10 years ago

^^^^^^

AMAZING!!!!!

#5 10 years ago

Great photo!

#6 10 years ago

I love my GL...
I am looking for a backglass...
I can't wait for my new flipper brackets to arrive so I can do the flipper upgrade...
-mof

#7 10 years ago

I just did a pretty sweet custom playfield for someone for this game. Hope he shows it when it's together.

#8 10 years ago

what did you change on it neo?

#9 10 years ago

Even though mine's pretty beat up, it's still a blast to play!

#10 10 years ago

I received a Grand Lizard in a machine swap a bit over a year ago. Both of us were bored with the machines we had. I really liked the sound package in GL (crazy sounds), so I decided to do the swap.

It really took about 50 games to get it. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The rhythm, the sounds, the shots, it all just works. Sure, I love hitting the 100K on the back targets, but it is the "Fast 50" shot that keeps me coming back. Through the cave and up to the target on the right for 50K. The magnasaves, the whole game. No great quests, just pure pinball fun.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

what did you change on it neo?

all the art on the entire upper half of the playfield. Looks completely different now.

#12 10 years ago

GL is an awesome game and I still hope to own one someday.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

all the art on the entire upper half of the playfield. Looks completely different now.

Would love to see this.

#14 10 years ago

I don't have a GL yet but when I get one I am going with the prototype backglass if possible.

image-17.jpgimage-17.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I think you will have to move the displays to get that one to work.

#16 10 years ago

Im in! I added a few lights to the backgalss.

IMG_5191_zps576587a0.jpgIMG_5191_zps576587a0.jpg IMG_5195_zpsef772c7d.jpgIMG_5195_zpsef772c7d.jpg

#17 10 years ago

Looks good SKILL_SHOT! I likey.

#18 10 years ago

Looks awesome SKILL_SHOT. GL is a pretty cool game.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

Im in! I added a few lights to the backglass.

Impressive. How did you get the face to light up underneath the flippers? Did you add sockets?
-mof

#20 10 years ago

No I just make my own flex LED by removing a superbright from the housing add my needed length of wire to nearest GI and secure it. If you wanted to do a more permanent mod you might use one of those spotlight posts with just a bulb no cone. Mines just a LED with longer wires zip tied under the table then 3m clear taped on the table under the apron and up to hang over the ball collector guide. I went up high because I thought that would have less chance of impact and lighting. Glad you like it

#21 10 years ago

I have a Red Green Blue fast color changer at the tip of his sword behind the backglass and one under the HolOver Bonus in the center of the table.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

No I just make my own flex LED by removing a superbright from the housing add my needed length of wire to nearest GI and secure it. If you wanted to do a more permanent mod you might use one of those spotlight posts with just a bulb no cone. Mines just a LED with longer wires zip tied under the table then 3m clear taped on the table under the apron and up to hang over the ball collector guide. I went up high because I thought that would have less chance of impact and lighting. Glad you like it

Yeah, I've always thought that the artwork under the flippers was a little wasted since it's never lit up at night. I would surely like to learn how to set that up. I am not using LED's in mine, since I love the orange glow on the black -- I don't want to LED this one up at all. But I'd sure like to have an extra bulb in that spot. Can someone make or link to instructions for that? I think that would be a fantastic mod for this game. Or we can borrow instructions in another thread...
-mof

#23 10 years ago

Just recently got mine from MMP (thanks!). I love this game, knew I would too since I first saw videos of it. It's cheesy, and freaken' awesome in that 80's Dungeons and Dragons kind of way.

#24 10 years ago

Its a reskinned BLACK KNIGHT almost just things moved around. With an incandescent bulb you dont have the room and if the bulb gets hit POP! you also wont get as much light from it.That is a super bright warm white so if you went with something less bright you could get away with 1 LED.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

Its a reskinned BLACK KNIGHT almost just things moved around. With an incandescent bulb you dont have the room and if the bulb gets hit POP! you also wont get as much light from it.That is a super bright warm white so if you went with something less bright you could get away with 1 LED.

I have BK and GL, and I must say that while GL clearly borrowed ideas from BK -- they play VERY differently... Nothing wrong with having both in a collection at all.
-mof

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

I see your point, I might have to budge and go with a couple LED's in my GL if I want your effects. Is there a way you can show with pictures what you've created?
-mof

#28 10 years ago

this is what happens to GL when you neglect it and play with a rusty ball for a few years.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.569478506438435.1073741963.135533669832923&type=1

I photographed it the other day - poor thing looks like it was cleaned with a wire brush

#29 10 years ago

this is what happens to GL when you neglect it and play with a rusty ball for a few years.

The horror!!

Its a reskinned BLACK KNIGHT almost just things moved around

Actually, it's more like a re-themed 1981 Solar Fire... also by Barry Oursler. Minus the lizard head & ramps of course.

sf_pf.jpgsf_pf.jpg

*Added some links to first post.

#30 10 years ago

I want a Solar Fire bad! As much as I love GL I would drop it like a hot potato for a Solar Fire.

#31 10 years ago

I have a Grand Lizard as well. Great Game. I've posted this in other threads but now there's a home for GL owners.

I'm trying to develop a playfield decal to cover the usual wear. Has anyone successfully done this? If so can you help me out?

Also... some of the monkey and lizard sfx don't play. I try re-seating the roms and to no surprise didn't help. I've had someone suggest it may be a board issue but no suggestion as to what can be done to fix it. I've got everything else working 100%. Can anyone help?

#32 10 years ago

here's the before and after for the custom one I finished. Level 2, meaning only the visible areas of the playfield were touched up, Hidden stuff under plastics and posts were not addressed. Turned out pretty good. Everything was painted by hand. I love the proto backglass. 10x's better than the one they used and makes more sense with the top playfield artwork.

GrandLizard_pf_110712.JPGGrandLizard_pf_110712.JPG final_look_005.jpgfinal_look_005.jpg

#33 10 years ago

here's a close up of the top section artwork.

finished_001.jpgfinished_001.jpg

#35 10 years ago

Holy Christ Neo... that's unbelievable! Did you put a decal on the 20,000 to 100,000 insert lights before you clear coated or were you able to find inserts with the value right on them rather than right above?

I really love your work. Anyone have an original playfield unpopulated with a killer directly overhead closeup like these? That would help.

Part of me wants to just steal your incredible work and make a decal off this picture but I appreciate your work too much to steal it. Besides... I've got two young kids and while it's cool... mama might have an opinion about the art work. lol!

I wish I could paint like that but that's above me so a decal is the route I've decided to try.

#36 10 years ago

Thats sweet! My PF is toast in that area I had thought about doing what you did but a waterfall into a pond surrounded by eggs and lizards.

#38 10 years ago

Great work Neo! My upper playfield is toast, and having that up there would be sweet!

#39 10 years ago

I absolutely LOVE this pin and hope to own it one day. Awesome work on that art Neo!

#40 10 years ago

I've never played a Grand Lizard but Mandrills are freaking cool animals!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Turned out pretty good. Everything was painted by hand. I love the proto backglass. 10x's better than the one they used and makes more sense with the top playfield artwork.

GL is one of my favorites!

I'm the lucky one that Neo did that GL pf for. He's got mad skillz to be sure. He also did a light touch up and clear of my NOS Medusa PF. He is a pleasure to deal with. Send him your business with confidence!

Unfortunately, I am minus the mad skillz and looking for someone to put my machine back together. I have the proto glass as well. If you want the job and live near So. CA - PM Me! I need to play this thing.

Ty

#42 10 years ago

with the insert values, I used the same font that they used for the game and made water slide decals custom for this. Same with extra ball and special. Everything else was done by hand. I do have full size scans of this work, since I scan in every playfield I do.

#43 10 years ago

I'm in. GL is the first pin I bought. Hence my Pinside name.
The upper playfield on mine is shot also. The game was filthy when I got it so I understand why the playfield was wore out up top.

Great game and one that gets played more by everyone that comes over to play.
I believe it is because you have drop targets. I know I like to see them drop.

I am planning on some LED upgrades soon.

#44 10 years ago

Just had my best game on GL ever. 3 ball, factory settings. 5,958,320
Earned 3 extra balls, one special, and finally made it to the 10x multiplier! Epic game for yours truly.

Hoping not to go too far off topic but, anyone who loves GL should give Big Guns a try. The upper pf on BG is a sh*tload of fun & challenges. In fact, it's because of this that I sought out a GL. Hoping to score a nice F14 at some point as well.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Earned 3 extra balls, one special, and finally made it to the 10x multiplier! Epic game for yours truly.

What steepness do you have it at? I've got the same settings as you with steepness at 7 degrees. I can't imagine ever getting near your score.
Grats!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Hoping not to go too far off topic but, anyone who loves GL should give Big Guns a try. The upper pf on BG is a sh*tload of fun & challenges. In fact, it's because of this that I sought out a GL. Hoping to score a nice F14 at some point as well.

Interesting you should mention that tonight sped because at lunch time today I did the same! I actually got one more multiplier after the 10x. Not sure what that does. I ended up getting 5,400,000... can't remember the exact score. My previous high was 4,200,000.

#48 10 years ago

Dayum........I suck.... I think 1.4 mil is my highest, but I have only ever played on location.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

I had a lot of fun with Big Guns at the pin expo. If I can ever hold more than 8 pins, Big Guns will be on my short list for other system11's to try out
-mof

#50 10 years ago

GRAND LIZARD and BIG GUNS are the 2 pins I own and I would like an F-14 I like your taste SPeD I think I got 8mill. but I have special set to extra ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 1,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-lizard-club-mandrills-get-in-free and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.