(Topic ID: 77782)

Grand Caravan owners - please help

By WeirPinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Trying to get a cheap rental for this weekend. Picking up a widebody (IJ) and an EM (quick draw). Will they both fit in a new Grand Caravan - I can get one from the airport for around $70 vs $180 for a cargo van (since I can't drop it off on the weekend). Do the seats fold flat?

Thanks - Scott

#2 10 years ago

I used a Gand caravan to pick up my Shadow, and to my recollection there wasn't a whole lot of room left. It would be extremely tight. The seats in mine do fold down into the floorboard.

#3 10 years ago

Yes....you should be OK...put the IJ in from the back and put the EM in from the side (forming a "t")...I have moved two a number of times this way (even two DMDs)...yes the seats should fold flat for you to load them up. When you rent the van ask them if they have stow n go seating...I assume they all do but doesn't hurt to ask.

#4 10 years ago

I believe Hogey is correct. I remember taking measurements and being able to fit one in from the back and another in from the sliding doors. I do know that my Shadow wouldn't fit from the side though due to the gun/plunger. IJ will definitely need to go in through the back.

#5 10 years ago

I have borrowed my dad's 05' Grand Caravan to move pins in the past. The seats are removable, and when removed you can literally fit 3 pins in there (though that would be with heads removed). I moved a Party Zone and a Dr. Dude with both of the heads still on (folded) in a T-shape in this car. You can also get 1 pin in the car without even taking the middle seat out.

Great pin hauler!

-BB

#6 10 years ago

I have an '08. Should be plenty of room. Rear seats fold down and middle seats are easily removable.

#7 10 years ago

Hoagy and anyone else that says you are fine are correct. Only possible thing to add is you may need to put the first machine in the back and turn it 90 degrees on the way to the front. If you can get a cheap, thin piece of plywood or a large piece of cardboard it makes it a LOT easier.

#8 10 years ago

I leave a 8' piece of masonite in mine. I once loaded 4 EM's in it and drove back from LA to Sacramento. It was tight. On vacation with my wife, she didn't mind the tight quarters.
    Izzy

#9 10 years ago

So if I fold all the seats it's long enough to put IJ in from the back after wiggling Quick Draw sideways?

#10 10 years ago

Both should fit sideways.

#11 10 years ago

We have an '05 GC and have hauled many pairs. The only time it was close to not working was when I picked up two widebody Space Invaders. Had to lay them on their sides. Didn't want to but it was the only way. The two you are getting should be no problem. You can fit them both length wise side by side head to foot.

#12 10 years ago

Does the WPC slide in without hitting the top?

#13 10 years ago

Yes, IJ will slide in from the back without hitting the top. Also the cardboard or plywood to help slide them in is good...I went away from that and cut a piece of pvc to about 3 ft. long and put the game on top of it and it rolls into the van with very little effort. Then you need to lift the pin to remove the pvc so the game won't slide around in the back when you travel with it. I forget who originally discussed this method but it's been great.

#14 10 years ago

I use our GC to move pins two at a time all the time. 1/4 inch plywood 4*8 on the floor. First game in the back, rotate 90 degrees and slide up against the front seats. Second game straight in. No problem.

Side door opening isn't big enough to get a modern game in with the head on. Not sure about an EM.

Have to leave the front seats a hair forward to fit the plywood. Can do it without the wood, it's just much easier wth it.

#15 10 years ago

Yes, you definitely can. In a current Dodge Caravan, I've hauled:

Two B/W DMD games at the same time (Judge Dredd slid in from the back and positions width-wise behind the front seats, and Fish Tales perpendicular in the back)

A DMD and an EM (Top Score EM body slid in from the side, Shaq Attaq slid in from the back, with Top Score head next to it.)

Revenge From Mars body, head, and SWEP1 kit (that was tight.)

Seeburg Model A jukebox (a BIG one) slid in the back, two EMs stacked on top of each other slid in from the side with heads behind them.

A Caravan is about the best "normal" vehicle you can have as a pin hauler.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

I went away from that and cut a piece of pvc to about 3 ft. long and put the game on top of it and it rolls into the van with very little effort

I have been using PVC for about 10 years, there is nothing better (for me). My 03 Caravan has hauled 3 WPCs at the same time without removing the heads (it is a little tricky).

For the PVC, cut 3 or 4 pieces about 4 feet long (or just wide enough to fit width-wise in your vehicle). Instead of rolling on the PVC, put two pieces in length wise into the vehicle and simply slide your machine down the PVC, it will fly right in, with zero effort. In the Caravan, you can usually fit the first pin in through the passenger side door, not needing to slide and rotate, but if it doesnt fit through there, have a 3rd piece of PVC length wise sitting right behind the front seats. when you get to the point where you are going to rotate the machine, move it onto the other piece of PVC and let the PVC do most of the work for you.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks to all for your help!

#18 10 years ago

i have an 05 town and country (basically the same thing). you can do 2 EMs in the back and one WPC through the side straped on a dolly max. the passenger door opens more than the driver for some reason from the factory.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

i have an 05 town and country (basically the same thing). you can do 2 EMs in the back and one WPC through the side straped on a dolly max. the passenger door opens more than the driver for some reason from the factory.

This is due to the fuel door.

#20 10 years ago

I have a 2011 Grand Caravan, just had a T2 and a JP in it with out issue. The T2 was sideways behind the driver and passenger seat, and the JP was straight in.

#21 10 years ago

Reservations made - I'll take a pic as proof when I squeeze them in

#22 10 years ago

Got the caravan yesterday - good and bad news
    good: looks like there was plenty of room
    bad: snow shut down the trip - probably won't be able to coordinate the two in one trip again so looks like I won't get to try it out.

#23 10 years ago

Well, no pic, but I was able to squeeze IJ in (gun removed), quick draw body, and head in the Caravan. Thanks again for all the help - worked out great!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-caravan-owners-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.