Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210525_115818 (resized).jpg
Capture2 (resized).PNG
Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I have a Williams Gran Prix that resets scores and starts a game properly but as soon as a ball hits the top saucer or any side saucer the kicker fires and then keeps firing over and over forever.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I can't find any schematic for a Bally Gran Prix to help you with.

#3 3 years ago

Is it a Williams or something else Bally? Bally did not make one with that name, so something else?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:Is it a Williams or something else Bally? Bally did not make one with that name, so something else?

It's Williams, my mistake

#5 3 years ago

When the ball rests in the kickout hole a delay relay allows Bonus points to be racked up.
The problem usually resides in the Bonus Unit under the play field, that gets bumped out of line while raising and lowering the play field.

#6 3 years ago

"The problem usually resides in the Bonus Unit under the play field, that gets bumped out of line while raising and lowering the play field."

Look at the FRONT-most bonus unit, as above. Resting the unit on the lock down bar area can bend some of the lugs and make them touch causing the saucer kickers to act oddly.

#7 3 years ago

The Top Eject, Delay, and Outhole relays are all tied together on this, finally causing Outhole sw. F to fire the ball kicker.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

The Top Eject, Delay, and Outhole relays are all tied together on this, finally causing Outhole sw. F to fire the ball kicker.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Curriedog so where exactly should I be looking to find these switches tied together?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from RetroRyan:

so where exactly should I be looking to find these switches tied together?

I would first go thru and check the relevant sw. on each relay to make sure that they're gapped correctly and clean, esp. F on the Outhole. As you can see, it's a Make/Break sw. so after checking the contacts operate the plastic armature by hand to make sure the contacts are 'wiping'.

3 months later
#10 2 years ago

currieddog it appears all of the switches are in good position. I have sanded them and check for obvious issues and found none. This front stepper is firing repeatedly as well while sauce is repeatedly firing. Does that give any indication as to where else the problem might lie?

Thanks.

#11 2 years ago
20210525_115818 (resized).jpg20210525_115818 (resized).jpg
#12 2 years ago

Also of note, all of the score relays except for the 1's relay lock on when manually actuated...maybe a clue there?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroRyan:

all of the score relays except for the 1's relay lock on when manually actuated

This is the first thing to fix because (with few exceptions) locked on coils will self destruct.
Does this happen on all players?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gran-prix-saucer-kicker-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.