Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_001708.jpg
WP_001706.jpg
WP_001705.jpg
WP_001704.jpg
WP_001701.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Made a trade today for one of my favorite pinball's of all-time Mars: God of War. It is sort of a grail pin, which has just been out of my reach for years. I'll explain basically I played this game down at an arcade in Eugene, OR (Blairally Vintage Arcade) a good two or three years ago and loved it. I own Black Hole, Panthera, and Devil's Dare, so I've always wanted to get this iconic System 80. I tried buying it later on from them after it broke, but never had the cash needed. Then I steered my friend towards it who bought it and with my help fixed it. Sadly soon after buying it he ran into financial trouble and had to sell. I again didn't have the money for it, but the start-up arcade I am working for did. So they bought it for a pretty good price. Today I finally made a deal with the owner to get it for myself! So it has definitely been a long time coming and I'll be picking it up this weekend. For the fans of the arcade I'll still be putting it in off-and-on.

One thing I noticed today when I was looking at it was that the mirror backglass is starting to rust slightly. The place where it is at right now is not heated or dry. I'm wondering if there is any way to remedy the problem. Other then that the playfield and cabinet are in nice shape for the plays and years in the arcade. It will need some new rubber rings since they haven't been replaced in years. The MPU and boards have most if not all the necessary upgrades. It is a really nice game and can't wait to add it to my collection this weekend.

#2 10 years ago

Congratulations !

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Good game, I restored mine early this year. Which cabinet do you have, the red or black one? If your center plastic isn't broken, make a protector for it so it can survive for many years to come.

Steve

WP_001701.jpgWP_001701.jpg
WP_001704.jpgWP_001704.jpg
WP_001705.jpgWP_001705.jpg
WP_001706.jpgWP_001706.jpg

Most look like this

WP_001708.jpgWP_001708.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Fun game that will take you a long time to totally master.

#5 10 years ago

If you've played this game, please take 5 minutes and rate the game now -- we only need 2 more ratings. It deserves to be in the top-200. Being in the top-200 can hopefully lead to more aftermarket parts (CPR PF, plastics, etc). It's currently a 7.33 (unrated) or #133 or so - right next to Devil's Dare.
-mof

#6 10 years ago

I love mine too, I have a couple of bugs to work out but what a great pin...

All Gottlieb all the time

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Good game, I restored mine early last year. Which cabinet do you have, the red or black one? If your center plastic isn't broken, make a protector for it so it can survive for many years to come.
Steve

The red/orange color one. The plastic looks like it broke at one time, but was replace with a nicely done homemade plastic. You can hardly tell the difference. I really don't know how they did it.

Quoted from mof:

If you've played this game, please take 5 minutes and rate the game now -- we only need 2 more ratings. It deserves to be in the top-200. Being in the top-200 can hopefully lead to more aftermarket parts (CPR PF, plastics, etc). It's currently a 7.33 (unrated) or #133 or so - right next to Devil's Dare.
-mof

Done... I'll also rate Devil's Dare later today. Thanks for the heads up!

Quoted from Gerry:

I love mine too, I have a couple of bugs to work out but what a great pin...
All Gottlieb all the time

Same here. I guess the ball won't always kick out, which is probably something to do either with the switch matrix or something simple as the switch isn't making contact at times.

Big Gottlieb fan too. My father and I have enjoyed restoring these beasts for years.

#8 10 years ago

Rate it where, here on pinside or on IPDB?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fun game that will take you a long time to totally master.

Awesome game that I NEVER mastered. Best System 80 in my opinion.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Rate it where, here on pinside or on IPDB?

Don't worry Gerry, I rated your MGOW in July....but we do need more ratings for them to count.

How MGOW doesn't get more love I'll never know.

#12 10 years ago

I'll see if I can play it again...I don't want to rate it after only one play, but the thing freaked out in the middle of my game. What I HAVE played of the game, I liked.

#13 10 years ago

It only needs one more pinside rating!

#14 10 years ago

I just sent a buddies out for restoration. Hoping it comes out as nice as I hope.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'll see if I can play it again...I don't want to rate it after only one play, but the thing freaked out in the middle of my game. What I HAVE played of the game, I liked.

Frax, they like to freak out! I know mine along time ago was having trouble with the sounds. Surprisingly a can of the magical DeoxIT fixed it the connector problem that was causing it. It hasn't had any problems since. At least that I know of.

Now to complete my System 80 collection I got to find a Haunted House. The annoying thing is those are getting to be so hard to find...

#16 10 years ago

I think his was sound dropping out and some other resetting stuff too.. honestly, if he thought it was connectors, I could fix that, and I'm pretty sure he's done repinning before too.

#17 10 years ago

I know it usually is one of two things with these games. It is either bad grounding or connectors that can cause a good game to go bad. I had both those problems on my Black Hole and this Mars: God of War I am picking up. The Panthera I own had none and still has none of these problems. It just had a bad power supply board, which I replaced with a Rottendog. I brought the Black Hole back from being almost parted out to a working game.

I'm also bringing back a Devil's Dare from being parted out and right now it is battling ground issues and shorts in the GI lighting.

#18 10 years ago

I picked up an extreme project a month or two ago. Early black cabinet, but covered in wall paint? One side is scraping off gradually other side not so much. My experiments with paint removers , heat gun and combination of both has been unsuccessful and partially removing artwork.
The good is it has almost a full Mylar in good shape and center plastic is undamaged. I could use the large plastic on the right side of the playfield though.
Attract sound seems to work . There's some board work to be done and a locked coil , lights out . List goes on and on. Have a plans for a pinball buddy who's a really good tech to come out when time permits.
The mirrored glass is really nice,almost perfect . The outer could be better.
This pin is teaching patience.

#19 10 years ago

Nice to see someone have a grail pin that is not one of the top 100 games. I have been to a lot of shows , but still have not played all the system 80s games as they are heavy and sensitive. People just don't like bringing them to shows unless they are rock solid.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

Nice to see someone have a grail pin that is not one of the top 100 games. I have been to a lot of shows , but still have not played all the system 80s games as they are heavy and sensitive. People just don't like bringing them to shows unless they are rock solid.

My , "grail" was x files. Of course because of the tv series. As unpopular of a pin as it is I can't see myself letting it go anytime soon.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

Nice to see someone have a grail pin that is not one of the top 100 games.

If we can get one more person to submit a rating... Mars god of war will be coming in at a healthy 120 on the list or so... Who has not yet submitted a rating on this neat pin?
-mof

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

If we can get one more person to submit a rating... Mars god of war will be coming in at a healthy 120 on the list or so... Who has not yet submitted a rating on this neat pin?
-mof

I promise to submit a rating as soon as I get to play it.

#23 10 years ago

It is finally home! It has been really fun to play. Pics soon...

#24 10 years ago

So close... ONE rating away from making history!
-mof

#25 10 years ago

bump for that 1 more rating invite, lol!
-mof

#26 10 years ago

I rated it but nothing will show up till I rate more games.

Steve

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I rated it but nothing will show up till I rate more games.
Steve

Well get to rating, sir ! haha
-mof

#28 10 years ago

Still need 1 more rating on MGOW -- Uncle Sam needs YOU!
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grail-pin-coming-home-this-weekend-mars-god-of-war and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.