Gradually weakening solenoids TAF

By orangedude71

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Been searching the forums and haven't quite found the answer im looking for. On my Addams family, all of the kickouts are getting weaker and weaker. When i run the solenoid test on any of the solenoids on repeat, the first 5 or 6 activations seems too be ok, but eventually, it starts missing an activation here and there. Swamp kickout will weaken to the point where it just barely pushes the ball out of the hole.
Where should i be starting to look on the boards. im guessing ive got some capacitors that need replacement. Anyone want to guide me in to the first place to look? I do have a multimeter but nothing fancy that can record voltage drops or anything

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from orangedude71:

Been searching the forums and haven't quite found the answer im looking for. On my Addams family, all of the kickouts are getting weaker and weaker. When i run the solenoid test on any of the solenoids on repeat, the first 5 or 6 activations seems too be ok, but eventually, it starts missing an activation here and there. Swamp kickout will weaken to the point where it just barely pushes the ball out of the hole.
Where should i be starting to look on the boards. im guessing ive got some capacitors that need replacement. Anyone want to guide me in to the first place to look? I do have a multimeter but nothing fancy that can record voltage drops or anything

Are the coils heating up? If so that could be what is causing them to weaken.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Are the coils heating up? If so that could be what is causing them to weaken.

They could be.. but id be surprised if they are heating up after only 5 or 6 activations. I am getting some playfield light dimming on activation as well. What actually started me down this path is that overall, the kickouts are weak from the start. I have replaced the sleeves already to see if that might have something to do with it.

#4 4 years ago

They could be.. but id be surprised if they are heating up after only 5 or 6 activations. I am getting some playfield light dimming on activation as well. What actually started me down this path is that overall, the kickouts are weak from the start. I have replaced the sleeves already to see if that might have something to do with it.

If something is wrong then it will heat up quickly. Best to check and see if it is

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

If something is wrong then it will heat up quickly. Best to check and see if it is

nope.. nothing out of the ordinary on temperature

3 years later
#6 9 months ago

I have to bring this post back. Full rebuild complete. All new solenoids, sleeves…. Across the board.. same issue. First 5-6 solenoid fires when testing any solenoid are fine then it starts to randomly miss one. Should i be looking for a solenoid power supply problem? Weak capacitor? I have a wpc rebuild kit on hand with all the capacitors and mosfets.. but id prefer not to do the shotgun approach and replace them all

#7 9 months ago

With power removed from the game, press firmly on the big square chip on the cpu board with your thumb. Re-seat all ribbon cables.

Are the coils not activating at all, or are they so weak they won't activate?

After it 'misses', do the next several coils activate, or are they weak?

Are the coils that aren't activating 'High power' while the coils that do activate are 'low power'? Or vice versa?

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

With power removed from the game, press firmly on the big square chip on the cpu board with your thumb. Re-seat all ribbon cables.
Are the coils that aren't activating 'High power' while the coils that do activate are 'low power'? Or vice versa?

Example: cycling any solenoid (more noticeable with flipper ones). 5 times in a row.. full strengths.. no power.. every one second. Then the 6th cycle will not activate at all. Then the 7th and 8th etc.. will resume with full power. Eventually it

Quoted from PinRetail:

Probably best to watch this video

#9 9 months ago

Example: cycling any solenoid (more noticeable with flipper ones). 5 times in a row.. full strengths.. no power.. every one second. Then the 6th cycle will not activate at all. Then the 7th and 8th etc.. will resume with full power. Eventually it

Probably best to watch this video

Thats totally normal.. It slows like that when in test.. It doesn't just keep a constant activation... It begins to slow after it has triggered the same coil over and over and I would imagine thats in software to eliminate burning out a solenoid.

#10 9 months ago

That is an intended delay. The test is not made to keep going on forever. Normally see the coil 2-3 times and move on to the next coil to test.

What exactly are you having an issue with during game play?

If all the coil fire in test but not in gameplay, then you should be looking at the switches that tell the MPU board to fire the coils.

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That is an intended delay. The test is not made to keep going on forever. Normally see the coil 2-3 times and move on to the next coil to test.
What exactly are you having an issue with during game play?
If all the coil fire in test but not in gameplay, then you should be looking at the switches that tell the MPU board to fire the coils.

To be honest.. since doing the playfield swap i dont have a lot of play on it.. Still fighting some electrical gremlins. Thought everything was working great, but yesterday I got a F114/F115 and now i have sporadic problems where suddenly the coin door switches stop working and the flippers start randomly going off. LED2 turns off.. etc.. I suspect i have a ground problem, chasing now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.95
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gradually-weakening-solenoids-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.