Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Chambahz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hello Pinball Fans...

I own a sizable collection. I have many pinballs that are worth $5k-$10k, and until just recently, a $15k BBB.

My good buddy & I were talking this morning. He said he had on route 3 pinballs. The operator said someone stole the 3 expensive pins right out of the location (laundry mat) I know he mentioned one was an TAF.

I have had the need to temporarily store 12 pinballs (MM / CV / HUO TAF / TZ / BBB / GNR's / FH / TOM and about 4 others), while we were in between homes for 1 month. This was at a storage yard with roll up locked (your own pad lock) door. I was very concerned about theft.

I donated many pins at the annual shows as well. So the thought of theft has come up a lot.

Have any of you placed a small discrete tracking device, in your pinball game, just in case it was to get stolen?

Let me (us) know your thoughts of this topic.

Thanks Kerry

#2 10 years ago

So I get a free pinball and a free discrete tracking device too. Too cool.

Where do you keep them ?

First problem I see is when you locate the pin, you'll need cops and a warrant to go in. Proof of ownership, etc.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

LTG... maybe writing down the serial #'s, of your games, and indicating where "you" placed the tracking devise should / would be enough to justify ownership of the game.

#4 10 years ago

People have done it with phones and laptops but they always seem to have issues convincing the police to do anything.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

LTG... maybe writing down the serial #'s, of your games, and indicating where "you" placed the tracking devise should / would be enough to justify ownership of the game.

I think it's a great idea and would think having the serial # would be enough for 'probable cause' for the police to at least look into it.

#6 10 years ago

there are GPS tracking devices for cars, I think less than $200. I believe it can use a pay-as-you-go phone so you're not paying a monthly fee. But again, even if you track where it is, it sounds like it's hard to proove it belong to you. Also, unless you make it REAL discreet, I'm pretty sure the new owners are going to remove it immediately.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I think it's a great idea and would think having the serial # would be enough for 'probable cause' for the police to at least look into it.

Agreed! Great idea

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

People have done it with phones and laptops but they always seem to have issues convincing the police to do anything.

It's OK to take the law into your own hands sometimes

Cheap guns are priceless

#9 10 years ago

It does not help much and I am not sure the cost would be beneficial unless the location is making good money. However, like any business you need insurance. I have all of my pins insured. Yes, I have home owners insurance Which would cover the pinballs based on how much insurance you have. However, I have a separate policy just in case of any fires, theft (You most likely wont' make it out) anyway I did not want it on my home owners because I wanted it to be separated as then my wife can use all the money to rebuild and my poor pins get left out. The policy is really not that expensive it's all based on what you value your games. It's an idea but like I said I am not sure what kind of money your making at the locations. I think the GPS idea is a great one. However, it is going to have a monthly fee for GPS service. And once powers cut from the GPS, you're only going to have about 24 hours to locate the game. My suggestion would be to go to the location and add cameras along with a DVR cheap, but you might be able to find on eBay. One dozen half-dozen another. Sorry this sucks!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Yeah, I'd never change or remove any of that.

How about I come over to your house, write down serial numbers, make receipts, and then call the police.

See the problem ? Besides finding them, you'd need concrete proof of ownership. You hid something inside won't mean squat.

If this plan isn't thought through and executed right, a pinball machine owner could find himself on the wrong end of a lawsuit. Even if he's right.

Criminals generally don't have morals, so they won't care about what they do.

LTG : )

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

A laptop or Iphone ($250-$1000?). A MM, BBB or AFM ($8,000 to maybe $20,000) Grand theft.

#12 10 years ago

Screw the GPS and risk of trying to get your property back from the thieves.
    Get insurance instead.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gpstracking-your-stolen-pinballs-any-thoughts-comments-products and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.