Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by catboxer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a GamePlan Sharpshooter that I almost have finished. There are two 500 point red standup targets in the upper left hand corner of the playfield that score when hit but do not play a sound effect. The drop targets also score, light their letter light, but do not make a sound. Is this correct? Did GPN run out of space on the sound board?

I've also noticed that there are some other abnormal features on this game: two of the four pop bumpers lights' are in the GI circuit, and two are feature lights that go off and on. The 2X, 4X, etc. Bonus lights between the flippers are not part of the Attract Mode sequence, when they would be in a BLY, WMS or GTB game.

#2 9 years ago

Game Plan always trailed the competition when it came to sound. When Williams and Bally were using microprocessor controlled sound boards, Game Plan was using TI's "complex sound generator".

Having said that, I know the drops use a "gunshot" sound so if you're not getting that you have a problem. I think the standups use a chime sound but I don't remember for sure.

Getting some sounds but not others could be a connector issue on the sound board. The .100 connector suffers from the same plating issues as the rest of the machine.

There are several videos online - there a PAPA video as well as others. You can confirm which sounds you should be getting from them.

viperrwk

#3 9 years ago

500 pt. targets sound 5 high pitched beeps - same beep pitch as the 10 pt switches. The score counts up by 100's and two of the four pops light for 1000 pts. The top 500 point target lights the upper left and lower upper pops. the lower stand up lights the upper right and lower lower pops. they should not be connected to GI.

Drops should sound the white noise/static "gunfire" sound. pops sound a descending pitch "ricochet" sound. Actually, considering the hardware limitations, they got a lot of mileage out of the chip.

The bonus lights and rollover lights do not light during attract mode. There are some other confusing things. the 50,000 lane is always lit/on GI, as is the top star roll over. My game has 555 flashers in those locations.

#4 9 years ago

Gentlemen,

Thanks for this info. I will do some digging a post the results.

#5 9 years ago

Update: I thought that the lower/lower and upper/right pop bumper lights were in the GI circuit because they were wired into GI lamps. That violated a basic rule of pinball diagnosis: "Just because it was wired that way when you GOT it, does not mean that it is SUPPOSED to be wired that way."

Some previous owner had removed the blue/white wires that go from the pop bumper lamp socket to the 5 watt resistor, and wired them to a GI bulb socket. Switched the wires back their resistors: the lamps do not light when the lower 500 point target is hit. That's why the guy switched them.

The four 5-watt resistors appear to be 8.2 ohm (gray/red/gold), but they all test at between 5.9 and 6.1 ohms, with a cheap meter.

Bad transistor in the Lamp Driver board?

#6 9 years ago

The upper left and lower top pop bumpers are controlled by the same SCR on the LDU - Q46. The upper right and lower bottom are also controlled together by Q47. Check those on the LDU.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

The Q47 tests bad. The one in there now is a Motorola 7852 and the schematics call for a MCR 106-7.
Can I replace it with a TIP-102?

I found an old sound board from another Sharpshooter that I had before, I installed it and the two missing sounds appeared! I would like to be able to fix the missing sounds and sell it as a working board. I will reflow the connectors, but is this most likely a transistor or chip issue?

Thanks,

Alan

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

The Q47 tests bad. The one in there now is a Motorola 7852 and the schematics call for a MCR 106-7.
Can I replace it with a TIP-102?

No - one is not a direct replacement for the other.

Quoted from Alan_L:

I found an old sound board from another Sharpshooter that I had before, I installed it and the two missing sounds appeared! I would like to be able to fix the missing sounds and sell it as a working board. I will reflow the connectors, but is this most likely a transistor or chip issue?

It depends upon which sounds are missing. There are three TI "complex sound generators" on the sound board. One handles the explosion sound, one handles all the chime sounds, and the third handles all the other sounds (gunshot, richochet, pony, warble, howl and whoop). Depending upon which sounds are missing could be one of the sound chips, could be one of the transistors on the board or it could be the decoder on the board (74154). The latter two you can check with your meter. If they check out, the 76477 sound generator is available at Arcadechips.com ($14). Need to know the specific sounds missing to better troubleshoot.

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

Not quite sure what the names of the missing sounds are.

According to one schematic the sounds are: gunshot, ricochet, horse (pony), rattlesnake, howl (whoop), 6 chimes and explosion. Also, on the "B" 76477 which has the multiple sounds, the schems list: decay, SLF, trigger and one shot.

With what appears to be the 100% working board, all switches (except outhole and flippers) emit a sound:
slingshot & 10-point switches - hi-toned beep (chime?)
500-point targets - medium-toned beep (chime?) *missing on other board
all rollovers and kicker - low-toned boop (chime?)
drop targets - one gunshot * missing on other board
spinner - horse (pony)
pop bumpers - ricochet
50,000 point rollover - 7 second long decending tone
game over - machine gun(?) plus one gunshot at the end, different from machine gun

I haven't heard the explosion which is on chip "A" 76477, the rattlesnake or howl (warble). Perhaps the board is not 100% after all.

Does this narrow down the areas where I should check on various transistors and chips? Isn't there a way to ground a leg on a chip or trans in order to play the sound? And how do I do that without blowing up the whole game?

Thanks for you help,

Alan

#10 9 years ago

I think the Rattlesnake is game over. Not sure about the Howl though. Oh, that could be the 50,000 rollover.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gpn-sharpshooter-do-these-targets-have-sound-effects and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.