New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275395)

GP Coney Island! - Trouble with switches

By portermg

73 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by Pin-up
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200818_082354_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg
84D5F0B2-732D-40E2-BE94-894AD49C9FC3 (resized).jpeg
46B50B08-767F-4CD0-9902-C24CB500FE54 (resized).jpeg

#1 73 days ago

Hey everyone!

I recently picked up a Game Plan Old Coney Island! Game is not in bad shape, and plays pretty good, other than all of the switches in Line 5 of the schematics. The solenoids work, as I watch the top right bumper activate. However, in switch diagnostics, none of the items in line 5 do not work. The MPU is in good shape; no acid leakage, and I removed the old battery. Connectors And solder all looks Good. I’m a bit baffled. New to fixing machines too, but pretty savvy with technology.

Any ideas??
84D5F0B2-732D-40E2-BE94-894AD49C9FC3 (resized).jpeg46B50B08-767F-4CD0-9902-C24CB500FE54 (resized).jpeg

#2 73 days ago

“Not in bad shape”. Um, looking at your sideways pictures, it’s pretty bad.

Start by looking for a wire that has fallen off one of the switches under the playfield. Then, look in the head for a wire that is not firmly connected.

#3 73 days ago

Sorry about the sideways pics, my mobile phone wouldn't let me fix that. Fixed now. Yes, its not in "bad" shape, but it has certainly seen better days. Want to get it all working first before I start cleaning up the play field, etc.

I was looking for wires that may have come off the switches on the playfield, all looked good. Same at the head... Thats why I am a bit baffled. Going to do some continuity tests next...

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 72 days ago

Looking at the schematic for the mpu, it appears line 5 comes from J5 pin 10 and/or J6 pin 6. Screenshot_20200818_082354_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg

The wire you find at the corresponding mpu connector should be the same color wire you see at the Line 5 switches. Check continuity from the wire at the female connector (J5 pin 10 or J6 pin 6) to the lug with the same wire at each of the switches on line 5 under the playfield.

These games are well-known for bad/corroded connectors between the backbox/playfield/cabinet, so it's possible you might just have a bad connection among one of them.

Fwiw, maybe your game is a bit worn out but i don't personally think it matters. To each their own! I have a Sharpshooter (another game plan pin) that's in pretty rough shape but it still gets played a ton and plenty of love around here.

Is this your first pin?

#5 72 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Is this your first pin?

Thanks for the heads up Frunch! This is my first personal pin. And like your Sharpshooter, it gets plenty of love just the way it is playing currently. I just am determined to get it running 100% (even if I have to buy an Echo Lake board). Then I will look into cleaning it up a bit.

For an older game, it plays fast, and it a lot of fun. I have some friends who just got into pinball, and they love it. They actually bring their kids over to teach them how to play. So its pretty cool to see a new younger generation finding the love of pinball on this old machine.

#6 72 days ago

That's awesome, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first pin! It's always more fun when you have other folks interested in playing too.

If everything else is working except the line 5 switches, you may get lucky and just have a break somewhere in the circuit between the backbox and the Line 5 playfield switches. If you get continuity from all the switches up to the connector i listed in the previous post, it might be an mpu problem or cracked/cold solder joint at the header pin that connector plugs into.

Another thing: Be sure to check not only for loose wires at all of the line 5 switches, but also broken off diodes. I usually give each wire and both diode legs a light tug to make sure they're firmly connected.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

#7 71 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Thanks for the kind words! And happy to say that I was able to find the issue. Unfortunately it was the J5-Pin 10 connection at the board. Connector was fine based on continuity tests. It was the circuitry on the board itself to the resistor that was bad. So I ended up soldering a jumper from that connector point to the resistor. All works great now!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

#8 71 days ago

Do you happen to have the contact info for Jim at Echo Lake? I’m sure I can search the forum tho.

#9 71 days ago

Nice, good work!

I don't have his contact info but it's bound to be somewhere here on the forum.

Enjoy your game!

#10 71 days ago

If all the switches in a single line don't work it can also be the diode by the corresponding dip switch. If you look at the schematic you’ll see how there is a diode from a dip switch involved in the switch lines. I had this same issue a couple years back on my coney island. Replaced the diode and good to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, CA
$ 16.50
650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 3.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 109.99
$ 30.00
$ 11.95
$ 89.99
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside