You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sanfordandson.jpg
photo.JPG 1.JPG
photo.JPG
#1 9 years ago

when reaching the set scores for replays on player 1 it wont give the replays but player 2 works fine
checked back box for any loose wires all ok, where should I be looking next ,any help would be appreciated

#2 9 years ago

Circuit diagram? is the wipers on the score reels installed correctly? If you remove the 10K reel (or 1K reel) you'll see leads on the Bakelite board labeled C, 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. With a continuity checker check that you have continuity between the C lead and whatever value the reel is on. ie if its on 7 then there should be a short between C and 7. If not, take apart, clean Bakelite, and make sure wiper is oriented the right way...

Ken

#3 9 years ago

I will check to c if the wiper arm is
Making contact

#4 9 years ago

Look closely at the wires on the circuit board on the player 1 1000 and 10000 score reels. It might look like they are all attached but there might still be a stray that evades you.

#5 9 years ago

I will check the circuit board more closely but i think one of the solder
Joints looks like there is a hole in the solder looks weak

#6 9 years ago

photo.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPG 1.JPGphoto.JPG 1.JPG
this is the 1000 circuit board the solder on c is loose it moves around look at both pics and you can see the c is not in the same place and 1 has a crack in the solder ,I checked the wiper arms on the 1k and 10 k they look good and both are making contact

#7 9 years ago

i checked the continuity on the 1k board i put one lead on c and the other on 8 and it beeped that was right because player ones score was on 68,000 but then when itouched the 7 it beeped and then putting one lead on the 7 and the other on 8 it beeped again is that right or

#8 9 years ago

If you have a loose connection at C it is recommended to reflow the solder at this connection.

As for your 1000 wiper board pictures, are there not wires on the bottom edge of the board? If so, what is their condition?

#9 9 years ago

On the bottom 5,6,7,8,9 are all good

#10 9 years ago

7 and 8 should not be shorted together..

#11 9 years ago

What would be making 7, and 8
Shorted together

#12 9 years ago

wiper sitting right between the two contacts?

#13 9 years ago

you have 67,000 and 68,000 free game levels?

#14 9 years ago

It is set on 68,000 and 84,000

#15 9 years ago

Going to take the circuit board out give it a good clean and
Check the wiper arms and reflow some solder
On some of those joints

#16 9 years ago

took the 1k circuit board out ,was thick of grease ,cleaned it with 91pc alcohol and put some super lube
on there after cleaning it the short on 7 and 8 was gone but still not rewarding replays i will wait to the weekend to strip it apart and clean the wiper arm and reflow solder

#17 9 years ago

If you feel comfortable Raff I suggest you fully service each score reel assembly one at a time. Your comment on the 'grease' is not a good sign.
In case you have not seen it this thread may also be useful.

#18 9 years ago

Yea thanks wayner i am going to clean All
The score reels i reckon the others would be all
Grease and sticky too better clean than dirty

#19 9 years ago

When i take the other circuit boards out
I will post some pics

#21 9 years ago

Is there a good video or other tutorial out there in cleaning the score reel mechanisms on the Gottlieb decagon units from the 70s?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Is there a good video or other tutorial out there in cleaning the score reel mechanisms on the Gottlieb decagon units from the 70s?

videos two and three in this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels#post-1059043

#23 9 years ago

Tip of the hat to ccotenj for showing these to me.

#25 9 years ago

what do you use for cleaning the wiper arms

#26 9 years ago

I just used a 3m scotchbrite pad on the pads at the ends of the arms to shine them up.

#27 9 years ago

Thats what i will use to clean them

#28 9 years ago

If i had to replace the wiper arms
Does anyone sell them

#29 9 years ago

Ive got a dozen spare reels...can spot you some

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive got a dozen spare reels...can spot you some

You are like the Sanford & Son of random pinball parts

#31 9 years ago

Thanks pinhead52 im going to strip them down on the
Weekend then let u know whats going on

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You are like the Sanford & Son of random pinball parts

sanfordandson.jpgsanfordandson.jpg

#33 9 years ago

ok took the 1k & 10k circuit boards on both players out and cleaned them with brasso and then put
a little bit of super lube over them and cleaned the wiper arms replay is working again great but now
its caused the second player on the 1000 reel to hang at 9 causing score problems like if its on
9990 it will sometimes go back to all 0 what is causing this reel to hang at 9 and how do you fix this problem

#34 9 years ago

it's "hanging" on the switch... two potential fixes...

a) adjust the switch so that it doesn't cause the score reel to hang... this "may" work... it may also lead to much frustration, as you may end up adjusting switches endlessly and not getting anywhere...

b) disassemble and clean the entire score reel mech so that all the parts move easier... re-assemble using new coil sleeve...

i would do "b"... the mech being grunged and not moving as easily as it should is likely the "root cause" of the problem (assuming you didn't accidentally "adjust" the switches when you took off the circuit board to clean it)...

to be honest, i would do "b" to ALL of the score reels... yea, it's not a lotta "fun" to r&r those mechs... but do them right once, and you'll never have to worry about score reel issues again...

#35 9 years ago

i am going to change the coil sleeve can i replace the metal ones with plastic and what size sleeve
do i get ,its not the switches im thinking more the coil sleeve

#36 9 years ago

yes, you definitely should replace the metal ones with nylon ones... i'm a bit surprised that machine has metal sleeves in it...

sleeve is part # a-8111...

edit: clean the mech while you have it apart...

#37 9 years ago

yes they are metal , i only cleaned the boards and the wiper arms there was so much crap
on them i should have cleaned all the other parts ,i will be doing this tomorrow

#38 9 years ago

is that sleeve a 1 1/4

#39 9 years ago

It just needs to be a little longer than the retaining bracket so it will be contained. If 1.25" seems right then that is the length.

You can cut down a longer sleeve to work here.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It just needs to be a little longer than the retaining bracket so it will be contained. If 1.25" seems right then that is the length.
You can also cut down a longer sleeve to work here.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

is that sleeve a 1 1/4

< looks in parts catalog >

yup... 1.25"... i never knew that, i just knew the part number... learned my new thing for the day...

see below as well...

Quoted from MikeO:

You can cut down a longer sleeve to work here.

#42 9 years ago

are these coils all the same diameter

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

are these coils all the same diameter

yup... part number a-15259...

earlier design decagon reels* used a different coil, a-9154, but the same sleeve...

* anything prior to march 1975...

#44 9 years ago

took the 1k and 10 k apart today and gave every part a good clean using brasso on metal parts and
soapy water with a tooth brush on plastic ,the switches were out so alit bit of adjusting and everything is spot on, replays are working no hanging on the 9, thanks to all of you pinsiders out there, with out this forum I think there would be a lot of pins out of order

#45 9 years ago

Love this thread! It answers a couple of questions I had about my Surf Champ! Thanks all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottliebsurferreplay-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.