Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Rock Gottlieb, 1985

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-03-27 18.58.22.jpg
#1 7 years ago

My wife won Rock in a raffle late last year (still hard to believe!). The group of guys who maintained machines at the bar took great care of it, but mentioned that it had power cycled once or twice on them in the past.

I was playing it a few days ago and the machine cycled twice in a row and then a rather strong electrical burning smell was present.
Our machine is plugged into a power strip w/ nothing else plugged in, but I was wondering if maybe the game is surging because of how we have it plugged in?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

First thing to do is open up the playfield and the backglass and find what was burning.

On gottliebs there can be a lot of causes for it to reset, especially if it hasn't had the ground mods, etc done. Can you upload a good picture of all the boards in the backbox?

Another thing to check is if the 5V on the power supply is high enough. If the voltage is a bit low then that could cause random resets. On most gottliebs there's a handy dial to adjust the 5V if it's out of spec.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

First thing to do is open up the playfield and the backglass and find what was burning.
On gottliebs there can be a lot of causes for it to reset, especially if it hasn't had the ground mods, etc done. Can you upload a good picture of all the boards in the backbox?
Another thing to check is if the 5V on the power supply is high enough. If the voltage is a bit low then that could cause random resets. On most gottliebs there's a handy dial to adjust the 5V if it's out of spec.

Thanks zacaj!
I will step through these post back later

#4 7 years ago

Check Q15 & Q16

2017-03-27 18.58.22.jpg2017-03-27 18.58.22.jpg

1 week later
#5 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Can you upload a good picture of all the boards in the backbox?

Just gave all the boards in the backbox a serious look over and they were alright. Going to check in the cabinet now.

#6 7 years ago

Check the coils too. They can give off a burning smell too if they lock on.

3 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

Checking 5V power supply is actually putting out 5Vs, and then using this awesome vid to do the ground mods (which seem like a near necessity for System80s)

Thanks again

ForceFlow Indeed the burning smell was from a coil locking on.

Also @zacaj, sounds like you've seen this before. Do you have a Gottlieb Sys80 game this happened to you on? (Also can I get an amen for the Surf N' Safari )

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from dangoldgriff:

sounds like you've seen this before. Do you have a Gottlieb Sys80 game this happened to you on? (Also can I get an amen for the Surf N' Safari )

Low 5V fried all the pop bumpers on my Time Line. In my case it was actually a bad connector, not the 5V line, but that was what I checked first. Annoyingly the MPU doesn't have test points....

#9 6 years ago

zacaj YeOldPinPlayer ForceFlow So i'm in the middle of the Rock ground mod - and have a wiring question. Heard/read a few different things at this point, but the bigger gauge wire I got to twist w/ the Rock wiring is copper and for the the life of me have not found silver wire anywhere. I want to match it w/ what Rock has, but thought i'd ask if if it's safe to combine copper/silver wiring?

My instinct tells me no, but I've never done this before so \(o_o)/

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from dangoldgriff:

thought i'd ask if if it's safe to combine copper/silver wiring?

It's fine to combine them. You most likely have a roll of tin coated copper wire. Even if it's really silver or even aluminum it would be safe in this application.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottliebpremier-rock-power-cycling-w-an-electrical-burning-smell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.