D Relay (resized).jpg
D Relay - Schematic (resized).png
World Fair Under Playfield Stack (resized).jpg
0-9 Unit Schematic (resized).png
World Fair Ball Trough Latch (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
World Fair Credit Unit (resized).jpg
World Fair Score Motor (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider macca.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello Everyone,

After installing a new three pronged cord I started to work on a Gottlieb World Fair.
Funny, I would hear that sound the pin makes when you turn on the power, now it's just dead quiet till I hit the start relay.

The start button did work. If I remember, I filed a relay switch and now it doesn’t work.

I can manually engage the start relay, the hold relay energizes and the control bank resets.

The main problem is no power to the coils/bumpers/rollovers/slings on the playfield.
The playfield and backbox lights do work.

l did engage a relay and the rollovers were keeping score, but I can’t recreate what I did.

I have the TOP Vol. 1 DVD and apparently, the 0-9 unit on the backbox should “always” be moving.

My unit does not move at all. Can that be the problem?

I cleaned and lubed the rivets and that arm that usually freezes up does move.

The fuses are good, the score reels can reset to zero and I have the schematic.

Silly question: does this pin need 5 balls in the trough to run?

Does the score motor look to be in the right position?

I also included a picture of the credit unit.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Thank you...

World Fair Score Motor (resized).jpgWorld Fair Score Motor (resized).jpgWorld Fair Credit Unit (resized).jpgWorld Fair Credit Unit (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

Thank you HowardR,

I have a 5 ball pack that is now in the trough.
The latch that allows the balls to advance opens, but the latch that allows the ball to be sent to the plunger doesn't.
As a result, I can't get the ball on the shooting lane, just to let you know.

I'm very new to EM pinball, so I'm lost on how to diagnose a circuit with alligator clips, but I'll look for a youtube video.

Do you think the 0-9 unit is the reason nothing (aside from lights) is not working on the playfield?

Again, thank you so much for your response.

World Fair Ball Trough Latch (resized).jpgWorld Fair Ball Trough Latch (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Replay Button activate the Start (S) relay?

No, it initially did, then I did something I think flexstone related and now it doesn't work.
I have to manually engage the S relay to get it going.

Like I stated in my first post, after I plugged in the pin I heard that sound the pin makes when it turns on, now it's just quiet when I plug it in.

I've seen that PDF, I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.

I trying to find some information online about that 0-9 Unit that should be spinning.
It's just a hunch, but that may be the reason for the playfield bumpers, etc...not being active.

Heres the schematic for that 0-9 Unit section, it seems to be powered by the N relay, which I can't seem to find under the playfield.

0-9 Unit Schematic (resized).png0-9 Unit Schematic (resized).png
#7 5 years ago

I thought the N relay might be part of this stack.
These are the pop bumper relays with the last one (far right) being the advance unit relay.

The 1 Point (N) relay is on the 4a score motor.
Do you think I should take a flexstone to score motor 4a?

I have noticed a blue spark in the score motor which I believe means a bad contact point.

World Fair Under Playfield Stack (resized).jpgWorld Fair Under Playfield Stack (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

I'd like to get power to the coils, bumpers, slings, rollovers on the playfield but being so new to EM pinball repair I'm not sure exactly where to start, or where to look to diagnose the problem.

#11 5 years ago

I'll take a look at the schematic when I get home and try to decipher it. I'll use my trusty flextone and hopefully the results will be good.

I want to thank you for all your effort in helping me revive this pin. If you can provide any other support with your knowledge please don't hesitate to post on this thread.

If I make any progress I'll post as well.

#13 5 years ago

Thank you, I'm having the same trouble with score reel switch positions on my Gottlieb Roller Coaster.
I needed to take a break from that pin to take a look at World Fair.

Quoted from HowardR:

Then get the relays & switches on the schematic at 12I to 13I in the correct state, they are D, X, T and S.

Those seem to be the big four relays in an EM pin.
I'll look at the schematic and I'll try to judge (with fingers crossed) how to proceed.
I'm still new to reading schematics, but I'm trying my best to learn.

This is really a great hobby and these machines of the past are pieces of art from their time so I hope I can do my best to give them life.

#14 5 years ago

In taking HowardR's advice, I'm trying to concentrate on one problem at a time.
To me, that's the playfield bumpers, rollovers and slings having no power.
He suggested I look at relays D, X, T, and S.

I wonder if the transformer voltages are off?
Then again, I'm not sure what numbers are needed or how to test them.

D Relay:
With my very basic understanding of the schematic with the machine off and the control bank flipped over I noticed the
D relay has an open switch. According to the schematic, all should be closed.

X Relay:
The schematic says every switch should be open.
The top switch is closed.

I've never adjusted a control bank switch so I'd rather ask than commit to making a mistake.
Should the D (closed) and X (open) bank be adjusted?

D Relay - Schematic (resized).pngD Relay - Schematic (resized).pngD Relay (resized).jpgD Relay (resized).jpgX Relay - Schematic (resized).pngX Relay - Schematic (resized).pngX Relay (resized).jpgX Relay (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago

I tried 1, 2and 3 with no luck. I still can't get anything on the playfield working, only lights.

Is it the transformer not putting out enough power to the playfield or do you think the score motor is the problem?

#18 5 years ago

Howard,

That’s incredibly nice of you but I don’t want to take away part of your night with my problems.

Thank you so much for the offer. Just looking at this great forum I see your name everywhere.
It shows you’re very giving to the community and that’s fantastic.

Thank you again for your offer.
I’ll have to do more research and try to get some answers.

Take care…

#19 5 years ago

Some really great news tonight: After 20 plus years the playfield came alive tonight like Frankenstein.

I was checking for any hidden tilt switches in the backbox. I didn’t see anything so I decided to manually activate the rollover relays in the control bank and suddenly everything on the playfield worked: Rollovers, bumpers, the center spinner, the slings, flippers, even the 0-9 unit in the backbox.

I activated the “game over” relay, then hit the replay button, the score reset, but the playfield (aside from the lights) still didn’t work. After I manually activated the rollover relays again everything on the playfield was working again.

Any suggestions why?

Aside from that, when the 10 points bumper is hit the “10 points when lit” light comes on and creates a very loud buzz under the middle of the playfield. Does something have to be adjusted or cleaned?

Also, the the plunger still doesn’t raise the ball into the lane. I’m hoping that’s an easy fix.

Just had to share the great news…

#21 5 years ago

It seems like it's coming from underneath the middle of the playfield near the spin unit.
It only happens when the “10 points when lit” light comes on after the 10 point bumper is hit.

#23 5 years ago

Found it!

It's the Alternating Relay.
When I touched the leads the tone of the buzz changed.

Aside from that, the R Hold relay does give off a little buzz as well as the ball advance trough.

Alternating Relay (resized).jpgAlternating Relay (resized).jpg
#25 5 years ago

Last night I looked at some videos of people playing World Fair. They all had loud buzzing sounds.

I'm assuming it's coming from the alternate relay but one of them mentioned the ball trough also makes a very loud noise till the ball is released.

With regards to the playfield not working at startup I'm going to check the control bank, There's a relay that controls the first five rollovers and a relay that controls rollovers 6 to 10.

I'm guessing that's the reason why the rollovers don't work when the game is first turned on.

Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned to work but I'll have my schematic in hand just to see how it relates to the score motor.

1 week later
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Can you show a picture of the plunger (inside of the cabinet) and the related mechanism the plunger should contact to lift a ball?

Hey Roy,

I moved the playfield back and forth and found the sweet spot where the plunger will work.
Unfortunately, every time I raise the playfield I have to fiddle with it.

I don't know why it just doesn't fall into place.

Would you still like to see a picture?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Also there is contacts on the ball gate that controls pf scoring, ball gate needs to close for some of this to work, this contact can get miss-aligned

Hey Pinhead,

When you refer to the "ball gate" do you mean the ball trough?

UPDATE:
I found some time to work on the machine.
I used a flexstone on the control bank, specifically the relays that control rollovers 1-5 and 6-10.

Now, when I turn on the pin (still have to enable start relay) the rollovers,
bumpers, spinner, slings and flippers all work without me enabling
the relays on the control bank.

This was the initial problem with the pin.

I'd like to give the playfield a good cleaning (novus 2) then install the new rubbers.
I feel very positive about this pin after many, many years of doubt.

10 months later
#30 4 years ago

Almost there…
After years of being dormant, I finally got World Fair to work…then it happened.

In my exuberance of playing about 10 complete games I pushed the replay button before the game had a chance to finish.
This lead to the score motor constantly running.

After that problem was fixed I’m left with one main problem: the ball trough door will open at the beginning of a game, but will not close after a score is made.

I did notice if I flip the control bank and force a switch contact near the upper right red wires on the “X” Game Over relay the trough door will close/open.

After a score, does this relay control the trough door?

Has anyone had this problem of the ball trough door staying open?
Any advice on what needs to be done for the fix?

So close to once again having a playable pin…

#32 4 years ago

Fred to the rescue, thank you so much.
I'll check it when I get back home.

#33 4 years ago

AND IT WORKS !!!

With the relay bank flipped up, I noticed one of the switches on the D relay was above the yellow plastic roll.
I put it below the plastic and now when a target it hit, the trough door shuts just as it should.

Aside from adjusting the switch on the number 4 rollover light that stays lit, I just have to adjust the ball lift that can be finicky at times.

Overall, I can play the game and enjoy it.

Thank you Fred and HowardR for all your help.
It’s so great to have this classic EM working again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider macca.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-world-fair-no-power-to-playfield-0-9-unit-doesnt-move?tu=macca and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.