(Topic ID: 218022)

Gottlieb woodrails: Are their profiles all the same?

By Vintage-Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00514 (resized).JPG
before after (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

I've had good luck stripping, even wood stain(!), off woodrails using Mostenbocker's Lift-off GEL. Some nice fella here on Spinside posted a long process on a 4 Million BC stripping of latex using Mostenbocker's OTHER product in a spray form. This stuff is NOT the product I use, and it may work fine, but I find the gel to be much easier to use...especially on the rails, since they're curved. I posted a pic of the right stuff, which I ripped from Amazon, so it's available from them. I find it at Low Depot here in the States... ;o)

The gel adheres to the surface nicely, so no soaked rags are needed, and when I'm stripping rails, I remove it with green Scotchbrite pads. You go through alot of pads, since you're constantly gumming them up with the crud you're removing, but have had good to excellent results. Maybe try it before trying the rail swapping? Just a thought.

This product also works great on cabs...and there you can use a paint-scraper to take up the gunk, which saves on Scotchbrites...and it's easy cleanup being non-toxic - I just toss it all away.

Except for that top rail on the head in the early GTB woodies, I believe all the rails are the same...they didn't change the GTB cabinets much over the years...but close inspection is necessary.

FWIW I have always been leery of trying to remove rails...it's certainly doable, but with all those channels and thin slats of wood that go in the channels it seems like there's a high chance of breaking them and/or not getting them back on correctly. YMMV

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-woodrails-are-their-profiles-all-the-same?tu=stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.