View topic image gallery

IMG_8079 (resized).JPG
IMG_8062[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_8041[1] (resized).JPG
schematic3 (resized).JPG
Schematic2 (resized).JPG
Schematic1 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am working on a Miss Annabelle and the only thing left to workout is why the game is not giving credits once I reach the high scores! In looking at the 100 Point Score Reel I noticed that one arm was off of the wiper! So I thought this was an easy fix until I looked at the parts catalog and noticed that there is actually a one arm wiper part number! So I reached out to PBR to inquire but unfortunately they didn't advise as to whether or not Miss Annabelle was to have a one or two arm wiper!

Long question short.....anyone know whether this game is to have a 1 or 2 arm wiper on the 100 Point Score Reel?

Also, if one arm is correct any ideas as to what else might be the issue with the game not giving credits for high scores?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I am working on a Miss Annabelle and the only thing left to workout is why the game is not giving credits once I reach the high scores! In looking at the 100 Point Score Reel I noticed that one arm was off of the wiper! So I thought this was an easy fix until I looked at the parts catalog and noticed that there is actually a one arm wiper part number! So I reached out to PBR to inquire but unfortunately they didn't advise as to whether or not Miss Annabelle was to have a one or two arm wiper!
Long question short.....anyone know whether this game is to have a 1 or 2 arm wiper on the 100 Point Score Reel?
Also, if one arm is correct any ideas as to what else might be the issue with the game not giving credits for high scores?

Check the credit unit?
Does it work manually?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Check the credit unit?
Does it work manually?

yes

#5 6 years ago

I re-looked at the email from PBR and he does state "A4431 Wiper - 1 Arm - Offered Used Only $5.90ea (Used on the 100 Unit)"! So it appears that the 100 unit is to only have one arm!!! Which is great that they did advise but just means I have an issue somewhere!!!

#6 6 years ago

Could be a switch on the score motor but kind of need to see path on schematic..... although I struggle to read schematics

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Could be a switch on the score motor but kind of need to see path on schematic..... although I struggle to read schematics

I have gone through the score motor several times and everything is gaped properly, even had another set of eyes look at it!

and yes I am schematically challenged as well!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I am schematically challenged as well!

Do you mean you don't have the schematic, or you have it but don't know how to read it?
If you don't have one, get one and we can help you, whether the cause is missing arm on 100 unit, or something else.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Do you mean you don't have the schematic, or you have it but don't know how to read it?
If you don't have one, get one and we can help you, whether the cause is missing arm on 100 unit, or something else.

I do have them but not proficient in reading them! Let me know what I can provide and I'll be happy to do so! Thanks for helping out!

#10 6 years ago

schematic3 (resized).JPGschematic3 (resized).JPG
Schematic2 (resized).JPGSchematic2 (resized).JPG
Schematic1 (resized).JPGSchematic1 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

I see an Add Replay relay that is tied in with Replay Novelty Adj. and Point Score Adj. Are those all good?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I see an Add Replay relay that is tied in with Replay Novelty Adj. and Point Score Adj. Are those all good?

They say no question is a dumb question but let me prove that wrong......where is the Add Replay relay at? I see it on the schematics but when I look at the relays in the machine none are marked Add Replay Relay!

On another note and out of curiosity.... what is the clip for on the 100 point score reel and why is it different from the e-clips on the 1 and 10 score reels?

IMG_8041[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8041[1] (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

have you checked the wiper on the score reel? if it isn'y making good contact it cant tell the game it made the high score.

#14 6 years ago

Haha, that clip on the 100 has the I-lost-the-original look. Add replay is going to be on your credit unit, but did you check the other two Adj. units I mentioned? Clean, solid contact, etc.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

have you checked the wiper on the score reel? if it isn'y making good contact it cant tell the game it made the high score.

Yes I checked this as well as cleaned the contacts on the arm as well as the board!

Quoted from currieddog:

Haha, that clip on the 100 has the I-lost-the-original look.

Can you explain? Did it originally have a e-clip or was it something else?

Quoted from currieddog:

Add replay is going to be on your credit unit, but did you check the other two Adj. units I mentioned? Clean, solid contact, etc.

I will check the Add replay now and yes to the other two!

Again, thanks for posting.....much appreciated!

#16 6 years ago

I would imagine it had the same as the other two reels.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I would imagine it had the same as the other two reels.

Yeah as it appears to add nothing to the reel unless someone, that had the game prior to me, installed it incorrectly!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Haha, that clip on the 100 has the I-lost-the-original look.

Okay so looking at this some more and that clip is called a Hub Ground Wire Form (part #A-4771) so it's a legit part! I am assuming that this grounds out the reel to the Ten Step Unit (Score reel)?!?!? Anyone know more about this and whether or not I it's installed correctly (see picture in post #12)

Also, I have everything pretty much working except the 100 Point Score Reel! It will keep score correctly BUT when it comes to resetting to 0 it wont move! If I give it a little "push" it will! Odd thing is .... if I manually do it the reel moves freely with no resistance at all! It appears to be reel (see what I did there) smooth so it's not like its hanging up on something!!!!

#19 6 years ago

Bump for the night techs!!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Bump for the night techs!!!

so everything work EXCEPT during the game reset the reel will not reset to 0 is that correct?
and during the reset if you manually move the reel once it will continue to 0 by itself or do you need to move it to 0 by hand?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

so everything work EXCEPT during the game reset the reel will not reset to 0 is that correct?

correct

Quoted from boilerman:

and during the reset if you manually move the reel once it will continue to 0 by itself or do you need to move it to 0 by hand?

correct on both accounts. Sometimes I need to manually move it to zero and other times once I movie it one digit it will continue by itself!

Thanks for the post!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

correct

correct on both accounts. Sometimes I need to manually move it to zero and other times once I movie it one digit it will continue by itself!
Thanks for the post!

it sounds like the "runout" switch is not making good contact. it is hard to adjust that switch without taking the reel off. but i would give it a good cleaning and adjustment. i bet a dollar to a donut it fixes your issue.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

it sounds like the "runout" switch is not making good contact. it is hard to adjust that switch without taking the reel off. but i would give it a good cleaning and adjustment. i bet a dollar to a donut it fixes your issue.

I will take the reel off an re-look at it! I can tell you that I have cleaned all the parts on this reel already but maybe I am missing something!

When I say clean I mean all the components were cleaned and even took the plunger and used Mothers polish on it, replaced coil sleeve, cleaned all contacts on the switches etc.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I will take the reel off an re-look at it! I can tell you that I have cleaned all the parts on this reel already but maybe I am missing something!
When I say clean I mean all the components were cleaned and even took the plunger and used Mothers polish on it, replaced coil sleeve, cleaned all contacts on the switches etc.

if you had it apart to clean i would bet that the gap on the runout is just a tad off. might look good but not enough to allow current flow. let us know how you make out.....

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

if you had it apart to clean i would bet that the gap on the runout is just a tad off. might look good but not enough to allow current flow. let us know how you make out.....

We'll do .... will look at it tomorrow and report back! Thanks!

#26 6 years ago

those rat traps are hard to make switch adjustment and harder to see if the switch is making contact. decagons are much easier
by your description of the problem i am betting the runout is the culprit

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

those rat traps are hard to make switch adjustment and harder to see if the switch is making contact. decagons are much easier
by your description of the problem i am betting the runout is the culprit

Alright got the reel moving now but for whatever reason it wont go past 7 unless I help it along! Also, if I play a game it wont go past 7 in scoring as well! Seems as though the plastic gear, although intact, has some play in it!?!?!

Also, for some reason my game is giving a free game when I pass 400 points. This isnt one of the high score options!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Alright got the reel moving now but for whatever reason it wont go past 7 unless I help it along! Also, if I play a game it wont go past 7 in scoring as well! Seems as though the plastic gear, although intact, has some play in it!?!?!
Also, for some reason my game is giving a free game when I pass 400 points. This isnt one of the high score options!

with this updated info, i would adjust the reel stroke. there is a allen screw on the back side of the reel plate. it helps center the reel but effects the pawl stroke. if misadjusted when the coil pulls in it doesn't allow the pawl to catch the ratchet tooth and the reel doesn't advance. i will try and find a picture if you don't understand. i am able to take a picture at this time

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

with this updated info, i would adjust the reel stroke. there is a allen screw on the back side of the reel plate. it helps center the reel but effects the pawl stroke. if misadjusted when the coil pulls in it doesn't allow the pawl to catch the ratchet tooth and the reel doesn't advance. i will try and find a picture if you don't understand. i am able to take a picture at this time

yep I know what you're speaking of! Is there a trick to adjusting it? By trick I mean is there a certain way to adjust it or is it a matter of just moving it little by little till getting it to work right?

Thanks for all of the assistance!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

yep I know what you're speaking of! Is there a trick to adjusting it? By trick I mean is there a certain way to adjust it or is it a matter of just moving it little by little till getting it to work right?
Thanks for all of the assistance!

can say to move it in or out, you will have to pull the reel off and watch the pawl. make an adjustment retest until you get it right. only move it a tiny bit at a time. it doesn't take much to get it to move. once you think you have it, test it with power with the reel off just incase it is still not right

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

can say to move it in or out, you will have to pull the reel off and watch the pawl. make an adjustment retest until you get it right. only move it a tiny bit at a time. it doesn't take much to get it to move. once you think you have it, test it with power with the reel off just incase it is still not right

So I did some adjusting and more adjusting all to no avail! This bloody score reel is killing me (excuse the venting)! It worked before so I know it somehow just got out of wack! It's just getting to 7 and not catching! With the score reel off if I put the slight pressure on the nylon gear (clockwise) the pawl will grab the gear! Without that little pressure the gear is not turning enough for the pawl to grab it! There is some play in the gear so not sure if this is the issue!

Update: So I started to think that maybe just maybe since I put a new coil stop on it and pushed it against the coil as tight as possible maybe this had something to do with it! So I loosened the coil stop and now the game will reset to zero BUT WAIT it still is having an issue:

1. when it gets to 7 it stutters and it takes a little time to make it to 0
2. When playing it makes it to 7 and does the same but at some points it sticks on 7!
3. I new issue .... when I play a game and the score goes to 100 it's also turning the light on behind the 1k so I go from 99 to 1000 points at the turn of 100

Man EM is fun!!!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So I did some adjusting and more adjusting all to no avail! This bloody score reel is killing me (excuse the venting)! It worked before so I know it somehow just got out of wack! It's just getting to 7 and not catching! With the score reel off if I put the slight pressure on the nylon gear (clockwise) the pawl will grab the gear! Without that little pressure the gear is not turning enough for the pawl to grab it! There is some play in the gear so not sure if this is the issue!
Update: So I started to think that maybe just maybe since I put a new coil stop on it and pushed it against the coil as tight as possible maybe this had something to do with it! So I loosened the coil stop and now the game will reset to zero BUT WAIT it still is having an issue:
1. when it gets to 7 it stutters and it takes a little time to make it to 0
2. When playing it makes it to 7 and does the same but at some points it sticks on 7!
3. I new issue .... when I play a game and the score goes to 100 it's also turning the light on behind the 1k so I go from 99 to 1000 points at the turn of 100
Man EM is fun!!!

post a picture of the part that is not catching at #7

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

post a picture of the part that is not catching at #7

Best pic I can get without taking completely apart! As you stated earlier....the pawl (hard to see in my pic) is what goes into the gear and spins the reel. It works fine till it gets to 7 and then its as if the gear is not turning enough as the pawl just doesn't grab the gear! If I put the slightest pressure, going clockwise, it will catch! So that pawl is not getting into the gear as the gear is stopping just short! Make sense?

IMG_8062[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8062[1] (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

when the reel is at #7 and the coil pulls in does the ratchet arm not get to the cam tooth so the reel can not lock in at #8 and goes back to #7 or is something else happening

#35 6 years ago

Here is a video so you can see what is happening! The first minute of the video is me "playing a game" and just hitting ten points to get the score to go up! First thing you will notice is when I hit 100 point the 1 lights up signifying 1000 points has been scored which it has not! After adding points for the first minute I then drain the balls, ending the game and then I hit the start button to start a new game! You can see how the 100 point score reel starts to reset and gets hung up on 7, 8 and 0 before making it back to 0!

Before it would make it to 7 and just stop and I had to manually help it! Once I loosen the coil stop it now makes it to 0 but as you can see once it hits 7 it still has trouble resetting to 0!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I hit 100 point the 1 lights up

that is just a mis-adjusted switch on the 100 reel the 9th position switch is what triggers the 1000 light

see how the 100's number is high in the score window...? you need to adjust the allen screw we talked about before to get that centered i still think that is your issue. as it steps up in #'s by 7 it isn't hitting the ratch clean enough.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that is just a mis-adjusted switch on the 100 reel the 9th position switch is what triggers the 1000 light
see how the 100's number is high in the score window...? you need to adjust the allen screw we talked about before to get that centered i still think that is your issue. as it steps up in #'s by 7 it isn't hitting the ratch clean enough.

Okay will try tomorrow! Thanks again!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Alright so I did this to no avail! Now I start looking at things closer and what not and tried without the score reel on and low and behold it works! Moved it manually and it moves without issue! Put the reel back on and when I manually push the plunger I can tell it's not as free as without the reel installed! So I turn the game on to see what happens and same issue. For whatever reason I decide to loosen the three screws on the reel and BOOM it now works! Keep in mind that I didn't really tighten that much! Basically I tighten them till it was snug! And when I loosen them I barely loosen them!! The reel is "working" but there are times, when resetting, that it will pass 0 one or two times but eventually it comes to a stop! I cant figure this one out!

Now I still have the issue of the game going from 99 to 1000 points instead of going to 100.

#39 6 years ago

glad you got it, but that is an odd one. the screws should not hamper the movement of the reel unless the reel is warped. or maybe the plastic hub is warped?
the 1000 lite is triggered by "H" relay it may have a miss adjusted switch. i would check that 1st

#40 6 years ago

I'm guessing here, but you have your 9 position on your 100s reel too closely gapped, or there is solder splash or tabs too close to each other on the 9 position switch (rollover) of the 100s reel stack. If that happens immediately from going from 0 to 1 on the 100s, or at any time during the game, I would look there.

#41 6 years ago

Thank you both!! I will look at this tomorrow and report back .... for now Iam drowning my sorrows over another sh*tty showing by the Penguins!!!

#42 6 years ago

1000 light relay H is triggered by a switch on the 100 reel. i would check that switch first since the light is not always lit tells me the H relay is not tripped until the 100 reel trips it at the wrong time

look at H at 9E on the schematic very easy circuit

#43 6 years ago

Alright found that the finger that rides the cam & ratchet hub was misaligned so it wasn't triggering when it should have. 1000 Light issue now resolved! The Score Reel needs a little adjustment but I will get that later tonight!

Gentleman thank you for all of the assistance on this as I BELIEVE we're now up and running! You have helped bring a game back to life that has sat in a basement for just over 30 years without being turned on!
IMG_8079 (resized).JPGIMG_8079 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago

Nice colors, who says woodies suck?!? When all dialed in, and you are the master of that domain post up a video of a game or two.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-woodrails-100-point-score-reel-wiper-1-or-2-arms?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.