coinbox708.jpg
coinbox706.jpg
coinbox707.jpg
coinbox705.jpg
coinbox704.jpg
coinbox703.jpg
coinbox702.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am in the process of enabling the operation of coin mechanisms on each of my machines. Naturally each requires a coin box but in my experience EMs are rarely sold with coin boxes.

I have also had some difficulty in precisely identifying what spec coin box was supplied in a particular machine. So when pinballgirl recently advertised on ebay a pristine rarely advertised coin box for a woodrail I placed a bid but ultimately did not win and it went for $US61. But thankfully pinballgirl was good enough to provide the coin box dimensions.

RScoinbox1.jpgRScoinbox1.jpg

Now in Australia we have a saying 'if you can't beat EM-join EM'; so I decided that 'if can't buy EM-make EM. I obtained a sheet of galvanised sheet metal 20g from the local recycling outlet for $2; purchased a sheetmetal bend brake for $50 similar to the Harbor Freight model

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html

& which I will use for other bending projects such as brackets etc and called on my spot welder which I had previously used for car repairs to spot the sides as per the original. I am reasonably happy with the result after first making a cardboard profile. It was lucky I did because the width dimension provided by pinballgirl was 1/4in wider than the opening in my Rocketship so adjustment was required. These are the progressive pics:

RScb1.jpgRScb1.jpg

RScb2.jpgRScb2.jpg

RScb3.jpgRScb3.jpg

RScb4.jpgRScb4.jpg

RScb5.jpgRScb5.jpg

RScb6.jpgRScb6.jpg

RScbdisp.jpgRScbdisp.jpg

RScbinst.jpgRScbinst.jpg

Finally I applied the Gottlieb A4658 label and again I extend my sincere thanks to Peter Koch for producing this label which I understand is now on his website.

#2 9 years ago

No lid used on the old woodrail coin boxes?

#3 9 years ago

I understand that early Gottlieb EMs had cash boxes made of 'tin' and no lid and a variety of cash boxes were available as listed in the parts list sections of successive catalogues. For Rocketship the cash box part no was A4550 and its price $0.60 per the Gottlieb 1960 parts catalogue. Apparently standardisation of cash boxes occurred sometime later and that included provision of lids. I have not been able to locate images of those earlier cash boxes apart from that included in post 1 of this thread on ebay by pinballgirl. If anyone has other images a post would be really appreciated.

#4 9 years ago

Very good reproduction of the coin box!
Always nice to see my work come to good use.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I decided that 'if can't buy EM-make EM. I obtained a sheet of galvanised sheet metal 20g from the local recycling outlet for $2; purchased a sheetmetal bend brake for $50 similar to the Harbor Freight model & which I will use for other bending projects such as brackets etc and called on my spot welder which I had previously used for car repairs to spot the sides as per the original.

Nice workmanship wayner.

Just want to add a Safety point to the above welding of the Galvanized sheet metal for those who may want to make their own and try to weld on it.

The fumes that are released when heat from the welding arc are toxic.
Do Not Breath the fumes in!

Info → http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

When I weld small galvanized work I do it outdoors and hold my breath then walk away from the white fume smoke area till it clears ,then gulp in some fresh air and continue on till done. A small fan far enough away with just a slight breeze on the it helps move the fumes away too.

#6 9 years ago

real nice wayner...

you guys who can fabricate stuff on demand never cease to impress me...

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I am in the process of enabling the operation of coin mechanisms on each of my machines. Naturally each requires a coin box but in my experience EMs are rarely sold with coin boxes.
I have also had some difficulty in precisely identifying what spec coin box was supplied in a particular machine. So when pinballgirl recently advertised on ebay a pristine rarely advertised coin box for a woodrail I placed a bid but ultimately did not win and it went for $US61. But thankfully pinballgirl was good enough to provide the coin box dimensions.

Now in Australia we have a saying 'if you can't beat EM-join EM'; so I decided that 'if can't buy EM-make EM. I obtained a sheet of galvanised sheet metal 20g from the local recycling outlet for $2; purchased a sheetmetal bend brake for $50 similar to the Harbor Freight model
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html
& which I will use for other bending projects such as brackets etc and called on my spot welder which I had previously used for car repairs to spot the sides as per the original. I am reasonably happy with the result after first making a cardboard profile. It was lucky I did because the width dimension provided by pinballgirl was 1/4in wider than the opening in my Rocketship so adjustment was required. These are the progressive pics:

Finally I applied the Gottlieb A4658 label and again I extend my sincere thanks to Peter Koch for producing this label which I understand is now on his website.

RScoinbox1.jpg 259 KB

RScb1.jpg 34 KB

RScb2.jpg 35 KB

RScb3.jpg 35 KB

RScb4.jpg 40 KB

RScb5.jpg 36 KB

RScb6.jpg 33 KB

RScbdisp.jpg 32 KB

RScbinst.jpg 27 KB

Nice work, Wayner. What kind of coinage is used "down under"? You obviously have the suitable coin mechs too, right?

#8 9 years ago

"But thankfully pinball girl was good enough to provide the coin box dimensions."

I have a stack of what i think are original coin boxes from the 1950's or early 60"s.
What are the dimensions of the coin box?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Nice work, Wayner. What kind of coinage is used "down under"? You obviously have the suitable coin mechs too, right?

Thanks jrpinball. I think you would be proud of my approach to the coin mechanisms although some may think it a bit odd. I have a combination of machines from those purchased in Australia where 20c coins are used and those I have purchased from the US which use a quarter.
I have retained those denominations for 'machine originality'! Rather on the US sourced machines I have not seen any point in replacing the original 110V transformer and use a number 240v>110v step downs & so have retained the machines in their original format.
I have found the Coin Mech brand mechanisms to be particularly well engineered and reliable and with the assistance of Ken Layton I have been able to iron out any issues quickly & simply. For me operation of the coin mechs is just as important as all other aspects of machine operation.

Quoted from Vic_Camp:

"But thankfully pinball girl was good enough to provide the coin box dimensions."
I have a stack of what i think are original coin boxes from the 1950's or early 60"s.
What are the dimensions of the coin box?

The dimensions Vic are 8in wide x 5 1/4in deep x 2in high. Are all of those 50's cash boxes (part catalogue naming) without lids Vic?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Nice workmanship wayner.
Just want to add a Safety point to the above welding of the Galvanized sheet metal for those who may want to make their own and try to weld on it.
The fumes that are released when heat from the welding arc are toxic.
Do Not Breath the fumes in!
Info → http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
When I weld small galvanized work I do it outdoors and hold my breath then walk away from the white fume smoke area till it clears ,then gulp in some fresh air and continue on till done. A small fan far enough away with just a slight breeze on the it helps move the fumes away too.

Thanks Pin-it for your post & your words of wisdom re safety. On this task with all safety gear intact, working outdoors & using the spot welder with light gauge sheetmetal and combining tong pressure with length of arc I was quite surprised at the lack of any apparent toxic fume being released so I was quite happy with that.

#11 9 years ago

Great craftsmanship Wayner!

2 months later
#12 9 years ago

None of my 70s machines were supplied with cash boxes and as I favour the use of the coin mechanisms I need the cash boxes in each machine. hoov was good enough (thks again hoov) to send me a pristine cash box and I have used that as a template to have a go at fabrication.

This is a much more complex design than the earlier smaller non lid woodrail cash box but I decided to adopt similar fabricating practises using an inexpensive bend brake, clamps, jigsaw, tinsnips, drill, panel beaters hammer (for lid slides) & my spot welder.

I started with a cardboard template for the box proper:

coinbox701.jpgcoinbox701.jpg

Then transferred the template to a piece of galvanised sheetmetal (this was a leftover which cost $2 from a recycling yard) from the previous cashbox):

coinbox702.jpgcoinbox702.jpg

Initial bends completed:

coinbox703.jpgcoinbox703.jpg

Then cutting out, inserting, spotting the ends and making and attaching the handle:

coinbox704.jpgcoinbox704.jpg

After making a cardboard template for the x3 coin openings the lid was cut out ready for bending:

coinbox705.jpgcoinbox705.jpg

Cash box & lid now completed:

coinbox707.jpgcoinbox707.jpg

coinbox706.jpgcoinbox706.jpg

...and finally inserted in my Pro Football machine. Coin mechs activated and coins fall in cash box appropriately. The height of the cash box in the pic appears to be above the door opening but that is not the case-it aligns ok.

coinbox708.jpgcoinbox708.jpg

I am reasonably happy with result although the first is always a learning experience and improved processes & finish will be incorporated in future endeavours.

#13 9 years ago

That is just awesome, Wayner!

#14 9 years ago

I'm amazed at your talents and what you can create wayner!

Just to throw this out there for everyone else, Gottlieb coin boxes changed when they went to the deep cabinet design in 1976 (around Royal Flush, etc.). So, wayner's box pictured would fit through 1976 in the shallow cabinet design with the smaller coin door and separate coin entrance housing. But, you would need a different coin box to fit in the deeper cabinet with the one-piece larger coin door.

#15 9 years ago

wayne, any chance we can get you to move to the usa?

another awesome fabrication job...

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I need the cash boxes in each machine.

Great job! Reminds me when I made a galvanized tool box in my welding class in college freshman year. It was spot welded as well and came out great IMO, forget what grade I got on it though.......

Ken

#17 9 years ago

Thks for the kind comments. These however do not require great skill to fabricate which is just as well because as an accountant I am mainly used to fabricating the books!!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Great job! Reminds me when I made a galvanized tool box in my welding class in college freshman year. It was spot welded as well and came out great IMO, forget what grade I got on it though.......
Ken

I would ask one of your teachers what your grade was but they might not still be with us.

_1944-welders.jpg_1944-welders.jpg
#19 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

because as an accountant I am mainly used to fabricating the books!!

Wayner, I don't know if I'd state that publicly!

#20 9 years ago

No IRS in Australia jrp!!

2 weeks later
#21 9 years ago

That's some real nice fabrication work. Looks great.

#22 9 years ago

This looks great!

I have 2 coinboxes in my Gottlieb Sunshine. Each of the labels has a different font, even though they have the same parts number (the parts number was specific to the box and not the label on these). Let me know if you'd like photos as both are in excellent shape.

#23 9 years ago

Yes thks jjpm I would like to see the pics.

#24 9 years ago

Here you are, wayner. These came with Gottlieb Sunshine. The machine itself was in service at Lake Compounce in CT until the mid 1960s and then lived in someone's basement. The coin boxes are original to the machine. Enjoy!

If anyone wants to try to reproduce these, I can try to scan them.IMG_2690.JPGIMG_2690.JPGIMG_2690.JPGIMG_2690.JPGIMG_2687.JPGIMG_2687.JPGIMG_2688.JPGIMG_2688.JPGIMG_2686.JPGIMG_2686.JPGIMG_2685.JPGIMG_2685.JPGIMG_2684.JPGIMG_2684.JPGIMG_2682.JPGIMG_2682.JPGIMG_2681.JPGIMG_2681.JPG

#25 9 years ago

Thks jjpm that's interesting. A4658 is already on the Peter Koch Inkochnito site-he may wish to include the extra one too. It is not easy keeping track of coin boxes and , where applicable, labels that were used in a particular game.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Thks jjpm that's interesting. A4658 is already on the Peter Koch Inkochnito site-he may wish to include the extra one too. It is not easy keeping track of coin boxes and , where applicable, labels that were used in a particular game.

As far as I know, they were used interchangeably and were not game specific.

#27 9 years ago

It looks like the stickers are the same in size.
I've just added the second version to the file.
It'll be on my website in a few days.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.

#28 9 years ago

Terrific response Peter once again-thks so much -Wayne

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-woodrail-coin-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.