View topic image gallery

4_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail2 (resized).jpg
3_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail1 (resized).jpg
2_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common (resized).jpg
1_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Thousands_Unit (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Working on a Gottlieb Spirit of 76. Only issue left is player 1 won't award a credit/replay when you meet/exceed the replay card scores. Replay on players 2, 3 & 4 all work perfectly. I've been thru the thousands and ten thousands score reels with a fine tooth comb. All copper plates have been cleaned, all contacts are shiny clean and been confirmed with a meter. No broken wires, no bad solder joints, on add switches working correctly.

What am I missing?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from jojo97222:

What am I missing?

Here's the circuit to award a replay for player 1 scoring 23,000. Notice the disk and wiper on the Player unit, and also the P1E switch.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

On this era of gottlieb score reels, the wiping disc had a problem with the jumper solder connections cracking. Reflowing these connections should be part of the inspection and cleaning of the wiping disc.

#4 2 years ago

my money is on the P1e contact. an other spot as mentioned above the cir board solder point, look for th C or comman spot, this has been problemmatic

#5 2 years ago

Thanks, P1E tested good with my meter but I jumped it out to be sure. Also reflowed both thousand and ten thousand score reel plates where the wiresattach but still nothing. Am I correct that the issue is definitely in the head vs down below?

#6 2 years ago

Success!!! When I reflowed the connections on the score wheel, I only did the outside but went back after rereading the ideas mentioned and saw the "C" solder connection completely broken. Thank you guys!!

#7 2 years ago

Hi JoJo, I've been following along with a similar problem...what is the "C solder connection?"

#8 2 years ago

its the common to the corner of the printed cir board on the reels, usually connected to a bare wire to take the feed in from the corner in about an inch bypassing the traces. sometimes the wire to the board is soldered directly to this wire. its the common to the circuit as shown above

#9 2 years ago

thanks

5 months later
#10 2 years ago

This was a good thread as I had exactly the same issue, Player 1 would not record a free game award, but players 2-4 would. To help others, I took a few pictures of the unit that where the failure was. I did not picture the re-flowed solder connection. Note that the failed solder joint was not visually super obvious, but a slight tug on the wire revealed that the wire would rotate in the hole in the PCB. Not how the Engineers planned the solder joint to work! Note on my game, Player 1 1000's unit was the problem. It could be either the 1000's or the 10,000's.

1_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Thousands_Unit (resized).jpg1_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Thousands_Unit (resized).jpg2_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common (resized).jpg2_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common (resized).jpg3_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail1 (resized).jpg3_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail1 (resized).jpg4_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail2 (resized).jpg4_Gottlieb_Decagon_Count_Common_Solder_Fail2 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

Thanks for the images and description. I have to say I didnt know that so it's good to know for the future.

#12 2 years ago

Sometimes solder cracks form around the the board jumper also keeping the circuit from working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-won-t-award-credit?hl=jojo97222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.