• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Royal Guard 0-9 unit (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey all, My Royal guard machine is making a very loud hum. I isolated the problem to the unit (step unit?) in the back head. Pulled the cover off and solenoid was very very hot. Would this be a open relay somewhere? I'm new to working on pinball machines and reading the schematics. I own 5 Wedgeheads and have done some minor repair/ fixes and love tinkering on old equipment.

Thanks,

Jeff

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

1. A switch is stuck on the play field
2. The Unit is stick or froze.
3.A Relay is stuck closed sending continuous power to the coil
4. A short is sending power to the coil.

#3 6 years ago

That is your one point unit. It's a continuous step unit. The cause is almost assuredly a closed switch somewhere on the playfield.

#4 6 years ago

If that's your 0-9 unit (can't read the label in the photo) it's solenoid is probably being held in by the N relay which is the 1 point relay. Is that relay stuck on too? It's probably in the head, not far from the score reels.
Royal Guard 0-9 unit (resized).jpgRoyal Guard 0-9 unit (resized).jpg

If you can't find a stuck 1 point switch on the playfield as EMsInKC suggested, check the normally closed switch on the 1pt score reel. That should open when the score reel advances, releasing the N relay which should release the 0-9 unit solenoid.

/Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-wh-royal-guard-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.