Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Topcard
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0610 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0618 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0164 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1703 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0159 copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_0240 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0237 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3164 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3147 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3157 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3156 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3159 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Playdium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I had the guy at the automotive paint shot mix up a color to me that is close to white without being stark white. This guy matches paint for a living and all the people who have seen the completed game in person approved.

Beautiful looking machine. Well done!!!

10 months later
    #54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shiny_balls:

I'm glad you liked Blossom White. I love mine. I repainted the Royal Flush again with Blossom White with different clearcoats. after the stencils, 2 coats of high gloss 2PAC (Shopline JC830/JH8380) on stencil area only (one side up at a time) to knock down color paint edges.....and then last 3 coats of crystal clear semi gloss.

No raised stencil edges! Nice flat surface! Yeah!

See the non-clearcoat sheet metal next to cabinet? a little bit different....probably will be a little more yellowing in the future...not much....just like the old Gottlieb....which is fine with me.
    I'm happy.

Not sure what you mean by 2 coats of gloss one side up at a time. Would you say Blossom White is whiter than Heirloom White?

1 week later
    #56 6 years ago

Attached is a color sample of three choices for my KOD cabinet. Initially I was thinking going with white, which was how it was originally painted, but now see why people recommend Heirloom. Sample is photographed indoors and outdoors in morning light.
    Original paint is shown under the side rails which is white. I'll be stocking up on Heirloom today.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_0237 (resized).jpgIMG_0237 (resized).jpg

IMG_0240 (resized).jpgIMG_0240 (resized).jpg

IMG_0159 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0159 copy (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #59 6 years ago

What technique is preferred to level out the raised paint edge when using gloss for cabinet graphics? The first color is down, and now waiting a few days before applying the second.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't level it out. I think that's overkill, but have found putting down clear over the top as a last step helps even it out. I think anyone that sands their stenciled art is playing with fire.
    I'd also Wait more than a few days before putting down a second color. You could get wrinkling in the layers. I wait two weeks to stay safe... I learned the hard way

Good tip, think I'll let it sit for awhile. The weather has been very humid here and doesn't seem to want to clear out. Certainly don't want to f it up at this point. I've sanded the base coat, repainted, sanded again, to get it flat. I even wet sanded it with 800, 1000, and 1500, and it felt like glass. Then applied the final base coat and it looked better. Hate rattle can paint...

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

About to paint and stencil a cabinet for the first time.
    So just spray with a white for a base coat and then spray the colors for the stencils.
    I should do a clear after?
    This what I'm going for:

That's the basic principle.

#68 6 years ago

Here are pictures of the original webbing on the interior of the cabinet I am restoring. The paint on the exterior of the cabinet was sanded off many years ago. The second picture is of the webbing I applied to the base color.
    This was done with a Paasche airbrush at 40psi, using Krylon Black Lava Webbing paint cut with lacquer thinner. It's kind of trial and error with the mixing to get the proper flow. A lot of testing on some scrap wood before applying to the cabinet is a must.

IMG_0164 (resized).jpgIMG_0164 (resized).jpg

IMG_0618 (resized).jpgIMG_0618 (resized).jpg

#70 6 years ago

Yes, that's the original webbing on the interior. I sanded that all down when I stripped the cabinet to give it a fresh look inside as well.
    Here's the front panel.

IMG_0610 (resized).jpgIMG_0610 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #71 6 years ago

DISASTER... almost. Just finished the stenciling on the cabinet and am very happy with the results. There was some slight paint pull in one area due to leaving a stencil on too long after painting.
    So this morning I decided to touch up that area with a fine brush. I sprayed a small amount of paint into a plastic Solo cup. The touch up went well, and just as I was finishing, a chemical reaction occurred in the cup resulting with the paint eating right through the bottom of the cup. Paint poured onto the area I was touching up and I saw weeks of labor ruined.
    I managed to use small amounts of lacquer thinner on paper towels and gently cleaned the mess without any damage to my previously painted area.
    Important note is to not use a Red Solo cup when applying Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Playdium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-wedgehead-cabinet-paint-color?tu=Playdium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.