Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Mibs Gottlieb, 1969

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_16121.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys - I'm going to town on my Mibs and I thought I'd get some advice on webbing paint. I'll get more of the project up soon, I promise! I see Clay on pinrepair recommends Pratt & Lambert black lacquer, but it appears they no longer make a black. I've checked with several local paint stores, as well as both big box and small hardware stores, including a P&L dealer, and no one has black lacquer (many offer clear, or rattle cans.) One place offered to mix up a gallon minimum for $40 (I'm guessing I need a pint or so, maybe a quart after dialing in the touch-up gun.) I also see that a auto parts chain (O'Reilly) has a quart for $25 (another told me that lacquer is on EPA's "hit list" and will be harder and harder to find.) So just wondering:

1) Anyone know a likely alternative source?
2) Advice on what works well for webbing besides black lacquer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Since the technique relies on unthinned paint, the O'Riley's is NFG unless you let it dry overnight or something sketchy like that.

Blast it! I even read "ready for spraying" on the can, and I didn't put two and two together. Good heads up. I think I might just bite it and get the $40 gallon from the one paint store that said they can mix it. The archery store link looks like a great source, but I'd probably buy a quart worrying that I'll waste half of it trying to dial in the old touch-up gun, and at that point, I might as well just get the gallon locally. $40 is also what the "old left-over" PINT cans of Duracryl are going for on ebay. Who knows what you'd find in those cans. I suppose I can always see what sort of fish I reel in from Craigslist - I'm sure someone has an old can they'd donate.

I really appreciate your help guys! You all are what make this such a great place! If I make it work, I'll get photos up here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-webbing-paint-choice?tu=zim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.