(Topic ID: 163972)

Gottlieb Waterworld OR Data East Hook & why?

By d0n

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Your thoughts on which game is better all around and why? I have a chance to trade my hook for a waterworld.

thanks

#2 7 years ago

had both, got rid of both, I liked hook but the repetitive song got under my skin, Waterworld was HUO but just couldn't get into it.

#3 7 years ago

I prefer Hook. It has a little more lastability. Although, it is one of my favorite Data East's, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

#4 7 years ago

thanks guys

#5 7 years ago

Hook. It's just a little more fun. Not a tough sell either people are into the DE stuff these days and it's a better theme than Waterworld (people like Pirates).

Waterworld isn't the worst game ever made but it's almost unsellable. DOn't buy one unless it's cheap ($1000 or less).

#6 7 years ago

Hook kinda got on my nerves when I had it and shopped it for a friend. The ramps are fun to hit, but the overall theme is too childish for my tastes. The callouts, the music and artwork just do nothing for me. Plus Hook has the small , 1/2 height, DMD.

I've only played Waterworld a handful of times, so I can't really speak to it. But I've owned a few Gottliebs and I had fun with them.

#7 7 years ago

Waterworld is pretty boring with no ramps. Borrowed one for over a year. Sinking the Deez is fun, but thats about it.

#8 7 years ago

my buddy has a waterworld and its not as bad as some would say. for the right price i think its worth it.

the key to water world is hitting the dive hole in the correct order so you dont mess up your tic tac toe like grid in the middle. Once you collect 3 in a row it gives you a multiball lit but its much harder to advance anything on the board after that, as you have to hit an orbit to light the dive hole for a few seconds, and the pops and slings move which spot is lit, so its really hard to get far in the game if you cant time your shots right. There is actually a decent amount of strategy, albeit not a deep game, to maximizing your scoring opportunities. Its a chop wood type game if you know how and what to chop at and the super jackpot loop on the right is an incredibly hard shot to hit and feels great when you can get it

Havent played much hook so cant say too much about it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-waterworld-or-data-east-hook-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.