pasted_image (resized).png
Fuse (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hoping someone can help. Have a Gottlieb
Vulcan em pinball game that will not start. The score motor/
counter and stepper unit will operate if I
manually push the stepper coil but game will not start. Tripping the start relay and reset relay doesn’t help. All lights are on
but won't start/reset. Manually set all scores to zero just in case this was holding it back. Also worth noting when it
stopped working a couple weeks ago it made a
not so good straining sound after pushing the
reset button a few times, hasn't worked since.
I have a short video a video if it helps but doesn’t appear I can upload it on forum. FYI I'm a true novice
at pinball repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

Here's the startup sequence from the Vulcan manual. How far is it getting?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

I don’t have a schematic to this game, have purchased one but hasn’t been delivered yet, although as I mentioned have little repair experience and following it will be a learning experience in and of itself. I could not locate the subtract replay unit coil so I am already stuck at that point i.e. the beginning of start up. When I turn power on the game over relay pulls in, that is all that happens. Manually tripping the start relay only moves the counter motor. At this point should I manually trip the subtract replay unit coil and if so where is it located? Thanks for your help.

#4 1 year ago

If you manually turn the score motor does it finish the rotation by itself/return to home? If not check your 24v fuse

#5 1 year ago

The replay unit is behind the little square in this picture. It has 2 solenoid coils. The Subtract Replay Unit coil is the one that counts the number in that little square down toward zero.

#6 1 year ago

Tripping the coin switch will advance the play credits. Pushing the credit button does not pull in the start relay. Manually moving the score motor move the assembly 1/3 rotation and stops on its own. 15 amp 25 volt fuse tests good. I appear to be not getting past step 1 not HowardR’s sequence.
This Vulcan not at my primary residence and in 2 days I will be leaving as a complete failure…..frustratingly lol.

#7 1 year ago

Please don't get to discouraged. The one major problem with true novice's starting to work on an EM pin for the first time is they have a 4 player non-working pin. I will always stand by my words and say to all novice's/newbies to start with a 1 player EM pin first and learn how to read a schematic, buy a really good multi-meter & have patience in troubleshooting the problem. An EM pin repair is mainly if not all the time visual but you need to learn to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run and starting on a single player vs a 4 player is the first step. Others may disagree but I will stand by my opinion.
Good luck with getting the pin up and running. Also do some reading on this site: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/ Great site to read and learn

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for your encouragement and to all those trying to help. I’m hoping in the end I’m looking over something simple, many of you may have already repaired it. The reset button works, nothing else happens, but something beyond that is preventing it from starting? I will try any suggestions you may have. Only relay that moves when powering on or off is the game over relay. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

#9 1 year ago

I had a similar problem with my 1965 Gottlieb flipper pool that wouldn't start and it turned out it was the 10 Amp 25 Volt fuse that powers all the relays and motors. From your description of the problems it sounds like something got stuck when you pressed reset and it blew the fuse . . .

The strange thing in my case is the fuse didn't look blown at all (See Picture) and when I tested it in the machine it gave me continuity. When I pulled it out of the machine and tested it - it was bad! Now I always start with the fuses when trouble shooting. Most of the time it's something simple - especially if it was working fine recently. . .

Fuse (resized).jpegFuse (resized).jpeg

If you do order replacement fuses make sure you order more than one. You might replace it and the machine blows it again. . .

#10 1 year ago

I tested this fuse out of the holder but I’ll test again as it seems like something like that to me as well. Are there any other fuses that may be holding it back from starting?

#11 1 year ago

25 volt fuse definitely tests good. Anyone with any other suggestions as to what may be keeping this Gottlieb em from starting up. All fuses good. Reset button good. Playfield and head light up. Score motor moves when manually advanced. When coin unit stepper coil is triggered then pushing the reset button will advance counter 1/3 turn. Only relay that pulls in and out when powered on and off is the game over relay. All scores are at zero.
I will not be able to work on the machine after tomorrow and am really hoping to make at least a little progress. I’ve purchased a schematic but won’t have it in time. If anyone has any ideas please help! Thanks.

#12 1 year ago

Is the slam tilt switch on the inside of the door closed?

#14 1 year ago

I think it should be closed to start a game..try it.

#15 1 year ago

If pressing the Replay button doesn't activate the Subtract Replay unit solenoid,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#16 1 year ago

Thanks to all that have reached out to help this novice with my #Gottlieb#Vulcan. Unfortunately I failed, game still not working, and had the leave the location where this machine is located and won’t be back for a few weeks (2nd home). I just received the schematic and now have to learn how to follow it. This is the 3rd pinball machine I’ve owned and I need to learn to troubleshoot problems as they come up. Have other game builds I’ve built i.e multicade / retropie, etc but pinball is complex to me. Special thanks to HowardR for the detail you provided. Hope to report sometime soon I figured out how to fix it with all your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-vulcan-em-wont-start?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.