entire lower portion of playfield.png
drop targets relay bank.png
Blue target area.png
back side of green targets.png
A B C D relays.png
SwitchDog (resized).jpg
VolleyTargetBankReset (resized).jpg
IMG_2168 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago

Hi Will,
For problem #1, I wonder if the switch on the AX relay that affects the 10's resetting is stuck closed for some reason. The first snippet is the reset circuit....just 3 switches involved, and the Motor 1A switch is common to all the reels, so it's probably working correctly. That leaves the "10'S UNIT RUNOUT" switch that should open when the score reel gets to zero, and the AX switch that should open when the reset is complete. I wonder if the AX switch were always closed, if you'd have the score reel just lock on until it got to zero, which would open the runout switch to break the circuit.
volley problem (resized).JPGvolley problem (resized).JPG

The EOS switch on the score reel doesn't come into play during the reset - only when the 10 pt relay (N) is involved in scoring. It breaks the current to the N relay, but the N relay isn't involved in the reset circuit. And since your N relay isn't locking on, it seems to be working correctly. While in the reset process, with the 10pt score reel solenoid locked on, is the N relay also locked on?
volley problem 2 (resized).JPGvolley problem 2 (resized).JPG

#5 3 years ago

Will, during the reset, when your 10 score reel solenoid is locked on, is your N relay also locked on?

#6 3 years ago

Hi woz - would it make more sense for the RED-BLK wire on the other side of the AX switch to be the short location since the reel only locks on during reset?
My thought was that if the GR+RED wire were shorted, the reel would lock on every time the reel wasn't at zero during play and the 10's runout switch closed.

#9 3 years ago

Hey woz, yeah, you're right - the other reels would be affected. I wonder if something is locking the N relay on during reset. But I can't see what that would be - the N relay doesn't look like it should be involved in the reset.

#19 3 years ago

I'm leaning toward a problem with the AX relay as well - just because the clearances are so small between all the switch contacts and tabs on those things. I'd pull that relay out as far as you can, take out your magnifying glass, and make sure everything on the AX relay is working correctly with nothing touching that shouldn't be...switch leafs, switch tabs, screws. Tighten the stack screws first too, while you're in there.

#29 3 years ago

It's hard to tell from the photos, but in the zero position, is that lower switch (closest to the metal frame) in the back closing?

#31 3 years ago

For problem #2, as another test in addition to those DaMoib suggested, would it be helpful to fire the outer pop bumpers? They should give you 100 pts without making the score motor turn. That might tell you whether the trough switch/score motor is involved or not.

I'm curious too whether that 100pt/ball count problem happens with the playfield raised. We've all seen some shorts that happen when the pf is dropped and some wires get pinched.

Lots of test...good luck!

#40 3 years ago

Hey Will - look carefully around the edges of the underside of the playfield for anything that will touch any metal or wires that might get pinched.

Also, I don't know what the underside of this playfield looks like, but is there a group of latching relays mounted to the underside? If so, they're usually held in place by a couple wingnuts on either side of the bracket that holds the relays. If all that's there on this machine, is the relay bracket all the way into its slotted holders and are the wingnuts that hold it there tight?

#41 3 years ago

Man, @DaMoib....your mech is clean!

#64 3 years ago

I'm glad it's working now, Will. I still don't understand why the 10's score reel coil was locking on, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volley-tens-reel-reset-and-scoring-issues?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.