entire lower portion of playfield.png
drop targets relay bank.png
Blue target area.png
back side of green targets.png
A B C D relays.png
SwitchDog (resized).jpg
VolleyTargetBankReset (resized).jpg
IMG_2168 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaMoib.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 3 years ago

Does the "U" shaped jumper on the back of the AX switch stack look intact - all four switches are connected to the RED-BLK wire? All other solder tabs have good spacing and there is no shorting?

Also, if you block the 10's unit runout switch with a piece of paper, the 10's coil does not actuate at all during reset? How about if you block the AX switch for the 10's reel (the one with the GR+RED wire)?

IMG_2165 (resized).jpegIMG_2165 (resized).jpeg
#20 3 years ago

Regarding problem 2 - re-gap those trough switches, they're located right over the chime unit... maybe the vibration from the chime solenoid banging away is causing the trough switch(es) to close.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from wawhite92025:

The gaps in the two trough switches are good. When the ball rolls over the wire it closes both switches, but there is no way the chimes solenoids could close those switches, plus there is no chime when the ball is rolling from the kickout to the shooter lane. But interesting suggestion. Thanks.

On issue 2:
If the high current trough switch is gapped too closely and closes due to vibration (or there is a short) WHEN the score motor is turning (i.e. when scoring 500 points), the ball count will advance.

One quick test (with the playfield down and glass off) - after the ball has kicked into the shooter lane, block the high current trough switch with a piece of paper. Drop a target by hand, does the ball advance during the scoring of the 500 pts?

Also try it with the trough switch unblocked and the 100 point chime solenoid lead disconnected. Drop a target, does ball count advance?

One last test - with the trough switch unblocked and the 100 point chime solenoid lead disconnected. Drop a target and, while the 500 points are scoring, pound on the top side of the playfield near the apron where the trough switch is located... does the ball count advance?

It is important to do these tests with the playfield down - the forces on the trough switch are different and, if something is marginal, the issue may only happen in this position.

VolleyAddBallCount (resized).jpgVolleyAddBallCount (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago

Sorry, my mistake, a noisy trough switch will advance the ball count unit when the score motor is *stationary*. Both those motor switches are NC switches.

Just pound on the playfield after the game starts, no blocking switches, no dropping targets, no disconnecting chimes. Does the ball unit advance?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Does scoring 500 cause a 5 ball advance?
I think both problems have short written all over them.

Yeah, I'm slowly coming around to that conclusion also (much to Will's frustration, I'm sure). I missed this in his original issue 2 problem statement - "To add to this situation, when the trough switches close the 100 point relay is activated and the 100 reel advances one step. So this issue with the 100 points and the ball count unit is a two-way street."

Might it help to understand which of the two trough switches scores the points?

#39 3 years ago

When all targets are down, the targets should reset immediately (no ball drain is required).

There is a switch on the front of each target bank, the three switches in series trigger Q.

I'll get a pic...

IMG_2168 (resized).jpegIMG_2168 (resized).jpeg
#42 3 years ago

Paul,

That's because Volley is on the rotisserie and I JUST took them all apart and cleaned them this week! Bought myself a nice set of dental picks for the job...

#43 3 years ago

Target bank reset...

VolleyTargetBankReset (resized).jpgVolleyTargetBankReset (resized).jpg
#45 3 years ago

Here it is...

SwitchDog (resized).jpgSwitchDog (resized).jpg
#49 3 years ago

Great!

The wire bundles from the playfield to the head and motor board flex differently, depending on playfield position. With the playfield up, can you flex the cables manually and see if the 100 pt/ball count problem comes back?

#52 3 years ago

While we ponder gravity and all its implications... do you have a 24 volt test lamp to help debug the 10's reset issue?

The idea being the RED-BLK wire should be pulsing at the Motor 1A rate (because the other reels are resetting), BUT either the GR+RED and/or the GR-RED are stuck on and locking up the coil. We could also try it with a multimeter if you don’t have a test lamp…

#58 3 years ago

Look closely at/for things like this... how tightly is that wire bundle pulled around your blue target bank? Any wear?

Also look around/underneath the jones plug sockets (like the 3-5 ball selector). Any slack wires rubbing on the solder tabs? Stuff stuck underneath?

WillTarget (resized).jpgWillTarget (resized).jpg
#66 3 years ago
Quoted from wawhite92025:

If the wiring is identical on other Volleys I wonder if any others had this problem, or maybe the person that assembled this game made this wiring job one-of-a-kind ha ha. I'm going to tell Wayne Neyens about this: he will find it interesting how this mysterious problem was solved....
Will

I wonder if it IS a mistake by the assembly team - my cable clamp uses the dimple above and to the left as seen on your playfield... maybe you had a Monday morning (or Friday afternoon) dimple driller

WillTarget (resized).jpgWillTarget (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaMoib.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volley-tens-reel-reset-and-scoring-issues?tu=DaMoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.