• Latest reply 5 years ago by D-Gottlieb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone

I am working on a Gottlieb Volley and am stuck with my troubleshooting on this one. None of the playfield switches are activating any of the score reels. The game starts without issue, kicks the ball into the shooter lane, advances through the balls and goes into game over mode without issue. Playfield lights are on. Everything seems OK except for the fact that nothing will activate the score reels.

When I manually activate the L, M, N relays, the score reel advances and the chimes go off. However, the relays do not do anything when a playfield switch is hit. Pressing the 500 and 5000 relays in the cabinet will advance the score motor, but the score reels will not advance. It's not stuck in tilt. The Jones plugs between the playfield and backbox are securely connected and I have cleaned the contacts on them. No blown fuses anywhere. No playfield switches are stuck closed.

It's like there is a total disconnect between the playfield and score reels but I cannot find where that break is.

Any ideas?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

What's the big secret?
Check you have all the Jones plugs connected. There is a smaller one from the playfield that can get missed.

Yes, I'm sure they are all connected. There are 3 in total.

#9 5 years ago

Some further thoughts.

The 10, 100 and 1000 point relays work fine when activated manually. So the issue must be downstream of there. According to the schematic, each relay passes through a switch at 4A. The target bank reset relay also passes through 4A and works fine, so 4A cannot be the issue.

The manual states that scoring is through 1A. I inspected both switches at 1A and cleaned the contacts. They activate properly so they can't be the issue either.

The hunt continues...

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

Are the flippers and pop bumpers working?

Yes

Quoted from pinhead52:

there is a switch /contact on the ball in play unit that closes when it advances to ball 1 and energizes the pf. This probably needs cleaning

I'll try that tonight

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the 10 Point (N) relay doesn't activate when you hit the 10 point playfield switches, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires, starting with these 2 switches.
[quoted image]

OK, bear with me here as I am new at EM troubleshooting. As I understand it, I need to jumper the black wire on the 10 point relay to the MAR-YEL wire attached to the V relay, then to the RED+WH wire attached to the switch at 1C on the score motor. Is that right?

#21 5 years ago

I checked the AX and V relays and both of them were well adjusted. So then I had a look at motor switch 1C. It was making good contact physically, but when I tested it with my meter, there was no continuity. I gave it a light sand with flexstone and then I got good continuity across the contacts. That turned out to be the problem and now the game scores!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. This was a good exercise in reading schematics for me so even though it was a simple issue, I spent a lot of time trying to understand the circuit.

One last question: when looking at the V relay, what is the easiest way to tell which switch on the relay is part of this circuit? Is the wire colour the only clue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volley-no-playfield-features-score?tu=arolden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.