Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I just stuck my head into a huge wide body from Gottlieb. It was pretty sweet. My co-worker's Volcano was recently repaired by a local technician, but he only played it for about a day and it stopped working. I offered to come take a look and see what the problem was. It ended up being the multi-ball trough was not seeing the balls or the coil was dead that advances them to the eject hole. The trough would capture and keep the balls and the game would not restart because of the missing ball. While I was in there, I notice the drop targets coils was crispy and was no longer functioning too. My buddy mentioned that they smelled some minor burning so I assume it was that coil failing. These dead coils looked to be original. While it appeared that the game was brought back to working order with some coil and connector replacements in other areas, I think it is kinda crappy that a technician can keep a game for so long and repair it, just good enough to get it on it's feet. My buddy paid $500.00 and he still has no game to play. You can sometimes find a working game for that much money. There seems to be a disconnect on good service out there, and eventually I may run into the same problem of a issue I can't fix. I wish there was a way to find a good service person that will be fair, efficient, and do a good job. Not just just do good enough. Anyone know of any exceptional repairmen in the So. CA area?

#2 12 years ago

Really no way to know if a coil is going to lock on prior to sale (unless you replace it). Machines break and it sucks, but best thing to do is to learn to do repairs.

Does the repair guy would cover stuff they worked on? I would think they would do this for a short amount of time.

My bro bought a pin*bot that worked great for 3 days then locked on a coil. Called the seller (OP) and he offered to send a coil for free... he declined as he was just was asking for suggestions on some other parts...

Good luck in the search for repairs.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

but best thing to do is to learn to do repairs.

+1,If your planning on being in this hobby you need to learn how to tackle repairs.Volcano is a system 80 game and not the best choice to start out for a first repair,But those System 80 games are like tanks when the proper modifications are done.

9 out of ten times the coils are not to blame it's the Transistors that go bad,Open up the backbox and i bet you will find burnt Transistors.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volcano-vs-fair-tech-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.