• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by r_wright1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A1_J4_SYS80 (resized).jpg
Gottlieb Volcano Schematic311022019.pdf (PDF preview)
Gottlieb Volcano Schematic211022019.pdf (PDF preview)
Gottlieb Volcano Schematic111022019.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 4 years ago

I'm new here but I am hoping I can get some assistance of an issue I am having with my Gottlieb Volcano. I have a sequential set of solenoids that are not working. They are #22 ball gate return, #23 ball release, #24 ball saver relay and #25 motor relay. I've bench tested the solenoids in question on the board (Q13 thru Q15) and all seem good. These are go back to the Z4 chip on the solenoid board so it could be suspect but I'm not sure what do look for next. I did test the Z4 chip for 5 volts at pin 16 and it was good. I'm not sure what to look at on that chip next or if the issue could trace back to the MPU. I'm hoping someone here with experience can tell me what the next steps should be. I've attached the snips of the schematics as an aid.

Gottlieb Volcano Schematic111022019.pdfGottlieb Volcano Schematic111022019.pdfGottlieb Volcano Schematic211022019.pdfGottlieb Volcano Schematic211022019.pdfGottlieb Volcano Schematic311022019.pdfGottlieb Volcano Schematic311022019.pdf
#2 4 years ago

Not much you can test there. The chip gets a pulse via input 'CK' and then shift the logic levels from the inputs D1..D4 to the outputs Q1..Q4.
You can look if you get the pulse on 'DS4' ( CK on Z4) during solenoid test, if not it is the 'DS4' contact or the 'Z34' chip on the MPU.
But from my experience it is most likely that Z4 is bad, I would give it a try and replace the chip with a working one.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the response. I've done what you suggested and there is a pulse on the CK input of the Z4 chip, so I assuming it's good. But I'm going to order a replacement as a precaution and its always good to have some on hand. I have a new question regarding the pin designations on the Gottlieb boards. On the schematics pins are identified as either an alpha or a numeric. You can see on the board the starting pin identifier (1 or A), but from what I can tell not all letters or numbers are used and I'm having a hard time determining the exact pin location on the board (Z for example). Also, some letters on the schematics have a solid line above them and I'm not sure what that refers to. Any clarification would be appreciated.

#4 4 years ago

If you have a CK pulse, you can assume that the chip on the MPU and the contacts are OK, so Z4 will be the reason.

I created a small Excel table, see attached picture.
Not all letters are used because for example for 'I' and 'J' there is a likelihood of confusion.
The Solid Lines are just indicating another contact, Gottlieb was running out of letters
In my table the Gottlieb 'A & B with solid lines' are marked as AA and BB
A1_J4_SYS80 (resized).jpgA1_J4_SYS80 (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. I assumed that the Alpha pin id's omitted some letters but my Goggle searches were of no use so this clears that up. Also, the letters with the line above them being just additional pin id's makes sense. Now I'll have to wait for my chips and I'll replace that one using a socket as well. Hopefully that will be it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volcano-solenoid-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.